Thread: A Question About Mexico He-Man 1981 and 1982

Court Magician Springor Spanior's Avatar

A Question About Mexico He-Man 1981 and 1982

Dear MOTU Community,

I have returned with another question on the minutiae of vintage MOTU collecting. My question is: did Mattel start manufacturing the Mexico version of He-Man using the 1982 mold, and then later move to the 1981 mold? It seems like a strange and perhaps dumb question, but I am compelled to ask.

Some years ago, I picked up a 1982 Mexico He-Man from an original owner. The USA accessories are stamped with low batch numbers - that is to say, the armor is stamped with a 5 and the axe with a 2. The sword was missing, but I assume it would have been a 4. This led me to think that the earliest versions of the Mexico production utilized the 1982 mold. This would make some sense since the Mexico manufacture comes after a couple of generations of Taiwan productions.

From time to time, I see for sale 1981 productions that have a Mexico stamp right in the center of the lower backside. Much of the time, the accessories are all messed up because that's what dealers do. But I have seen enough to suggest that the figure originally came with USA accessories with higher batch numbers - namely a sword stamped 21 and an axe stamped 23 on the inner part of the blade. I'm guessing the armor is stamped 22 perhaps - and it has very unusual straps that seem to be lacking most of their tabs. There's one figure like this up for auction now on eBay with the weapons sealed in their bag still. The current bid price is just bananas for what is perhaps a 5th generation loose figure.

So that is my question - did the 1982 mold precede the 1981 mold on the Mexico manufacture, or have I been duped by dealers mixing things up? Or perhaps I am just confused in general.
    s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

I hope there's someone in this forum who is an expert on that, Springor Spanior.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Duuude. This is like Rick asking Morty for advice on how to repair the dimensional portal gun. It ain't happenin'!

Do you know what cardbacks/minicomics came with Mexico stamped He-Man figures? It might help to narrow down timeframes as well as proper accessories. Cardbacks will often also say something along the lines of "Figure made in Mexico. Accessories made in the USA." So that might help.

Thank you for the responses. I don't watch Rick and Morty, but I take it that I am Rick?

To my knowledge, Mexico He-Man came on at least three cards:

G3 8 back warranty - Figure made in Mexico; accessories and comic made in USA.
    G4 12-back. Figure and shield made in Mexico; sword, axe and armor made in USA.
    G5 12 back. Figure and shield made in Mexico; sword, axe and armor made in USA.

I believe that the G3 card likely contains He-Man with accessories that carry the following batch numbers: axe (2), shield (?), sword (4) and armor (5). It's my theory that the shield may have a 3 stamped on the inside. I've seen some broken Taiwan shields that have a batch number inside underneath the cardboard. This progression - 2, 4, 5 - follows the same batch progression as the very first Taiwan He-Man, as chronicled in the Battle Ram Blog.

One would think that the G4 card figure should follow the same progression as Taiwan for the next batch (7, 9, 10), but actually I think maybe it skips to 17 (axe), 19 (sword), 20 (armor). I think the G5 then follows with 21 (sword), 22 (armor), 23 (axe).

With all of that said, the cardback doesn't tell us the date that is stamped on the back of the figure itself. So, I'm thinking it's possible that the G3 and perhaps G4 card came with a figure using the 1982 mold, but the G5 card may have come with a 1981 mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Springor Spanior View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I don't watch Rick and Morty, but I take it that I am Rick?

To my knowledge, Mexico He-Man came on at least three cards:

G3 8 back warranty - Figure made in Mexico; accessories and comic made in USA.
    G4 12-back. Figure and shield made in Mexico; sword, axe and armor made in USA.
    G5 12 back. Figure and shield made in Mexico; sword, axe and armor made in USA.

I believe that the G3 card likely contains He-Man with accessories that carry the following batch numbers: axe (2), shield (?), sword (4) and armor (5). It's my theory that the shield may have a 3 stamped on the inside. I've seen some broken Taiwan shields that have a batch number inside underneath the cardboard. This progression - 2, 4, 5 - follows the same batch progression as the very first Taiwan He-Man, as chronicled in the Battle Ram Blog.

One would think that the G4 card figure should follow the same progression as Taiwan for the next batch (7, 9, 10), but actually I think maybe it skips to 17 (axe), 19 (sword), 20 (armor). I think the G5 then follows with 21 (sword), 22 (armor), 23 (axe).

With all of that said, the cardback doesn't tell us the date that is stamped on the back of the figure itself. So, I'm thinking it's possible that the G3 and perhaps G4 card came with a figure using the 1982 mold, but the G5 card may have come with a 1981 mold.
    I've already identified your first problem: you've never seen Rick & Morty. =P

You may have to ask people that have open MOC Mexico He-Man toys. I have an open MOC He-Man - but he's a Taiwan, not Mexico. If you keep an eye on eBay they'll pop up from time to time and you can ask the seller for the numbers.

Is it possible that the gap in batch numbers was because some batches were used for other things? For instance, could some USA produced weapons have been sent to other countries around this time, then later batches were sent to Mexico? Another possibility: that some batches were re-colored for other He-Man figures, and/or the Weapons Pack. I recently saw a blue He-Man sword from the Weapons Pack with a 13 on the back.

EDIT: Interestingly, I was just looking at some Los Amos He-Man figs. Their weapons are all stamped Mexico, but none are numbered. The batch numbers must have to do with Mattel's organizing/tracking systems.
    Last edited by Universe; September 29, 2020 at 08:17pm.

Just out of curiosity, what are the batch numbers for your open MOC Taiwan figure?

I'll have to pull him out of storage to check. I can tell you he's a G2 card.