Page 101 of 110 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2736

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

That's a scripted response it seems, I would try again maybe by phone or something just to make sure you get the item the way you want it.

Help :: Wonder Bread Coupon

Can anyone help me with a scan of the Wonder Bread coupon that came with the figure back in the day?
    I've only found a couple of small pics, like this one:

The figure was never available here in Europe, and I can't afford a genuine one, so I'd thought I'd try make a custom copy with the accessories and leaflet.
    Thanks for any help!

ram man 21, thread starter.. u still around my friend?
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Does anyone know which former Mattel people have been asked about this figure? For instance, has anyone asked Mark Ellis or any other former marketing guys about the origins of this figure?

Quote Originally Posted by simensays View Post
    Can anyone help me with a scan of the Wonder Bread coupon that came with the figure back in the day?
    I've only found a couple of small pics, like this one:

http://www.simensays.com/motu/wonder...man_coupon.jpg

The figure was never available here in Europe, and I can't afford a genuine one, so I'd thought I'd try make a custom copy with the accessories and leaflet.
    Thanks for any help!
    Has been posted quite a lot in this thread i think, but here it goes again:

Thanks! I have found various low res pics, of poor quality, but I was hoping for a decent scan.
    It's pretty hard to find specific pics in a thread of this size. That said, I can re-prpduce the leaflet based on these images I guess.

Does anybody know the exact dimensions for it?

Widget
    Check this one out. Definitely legit, but what do you guys think he is worth missing his nose/chin/forehead?
    I'm sure the dirt can be cleaned up, but no way to fix that face!

IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean08 View Post
    I'd like to submit mine to AFA, but I really like the look of the figure with the black Zodak chest armor. I notice that every AFA graded example I've seen doesn't have the Zodak armor.

I wonder if its possible to request for them to just keep my black armor on if they grade it?

the black Zodak armor did not come with the original figure at all. It was part of the vintage weapon pack that someone must have put on one when it sold later on. The original savage He-man only came with the two brown/maroon weapons in bag.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    Nice find Rail! Did you dig him up out of your back yard? LOL! No matter the condition, still a hard find. No way to fix that face (IMO). Nice find again though!

Quote Originally Posted by boss1017 View Post
    Nice find Rail! Did you dig him up out of your back yard? LOL! No matter the condition, still a hard find. No way to fix that face (IMO). Nice find again though!
    You said it all, face cannot be fixed unfortunately

Widget
    I bought him in a lot on Ebay. He was found in a house that had the ceiling cave in and was abandoned.
    I did not know his face was half gone when I bought him, but ended up not keeping him after all.
    Look for him to return on Ebay soon, might be able to get him real cheap if you don't mind that face!

Widget
    FACT

I actually read the entire thread. Wow. The mods have had their work cut out for them. They're much more patient than I would be in a similar situation.

I'm glad to see the high level of integrity and insistence for concrete proof....BUT

After reading through three forums worth of threads, I've come to accept a few things as being true, despite the kind of proof you are striving for. I don't find a lot of these stories to be mutually exclusive of one another. I think it's likely there were multiple delivery methods for this fig. Which accounts for all of the conflicting evidence.

SPECULATION

1.) I believe the 3-in-1 mail in offer to be a legitimate source. Multiple Bogeys, who seem to have nothing to gain either way, report this as a definite source in their eyes. This method of delivery seems very vividly recollected by many, many sources. Much like love, you just have to accept it, even though it's difficult to prove.

2.) I also believe that it was in some way tied to an in-store-giveaway. There were a couple anecdotal instances where it was posted that "poorer" kids had them. Where their family's maybe didn't have the money for a 3 for 1 promo. There was a grandma story, where the kid knew his grandma was adamantly against mailers....etc.

3.) Other miscellaneous promotions....coloring contests, design a figure....etc. Anywhere they could promote their line without giving away a full retail figure, why not throw them this lesser product. I can see where kids felt bait and switched when getting this in the mail after the grandeur of opening up a retail carded figure. Thanks grandma.

4.) I believe there were random weapons thrown in with the figure from the MEF line. Either that, or nothing was included, and the weapons from MEF that you already bought were attributed to him by design. Unless someone can tell me why MEF needed that many weapons. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but it's odd that MEF is the character promotioned for the 3 in 1 and he happens to have the extra weapons. I'm shady on this topic.....can someone elaborate?

But Why???

I personally feel like they prototyped the molds until the quality was sufficient for manufacturing. And rather than just ****-can all of the product, they shelved it for promotional use (which kind of fits their MO). I feel like a little bit of all the stories could be true and no one story will ever be "definitive". The Conan IP legal worry, manufacturing errors in Tawaiin, Preternia foreshadowing, or Exclusive deals with toy stores......who knows.
    Last edited by Ty18769; October 19, 2015 at 06:21pm.

I still think it has to do with the law suit. Emiliano says he's seen proof of motu being pitched before Conan but still that doesn't mean a "Conan" figure could not have used the same mold as he-man.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    I still think it has to do with the law suit. Emiliano says he's seen proof of motu being pitched before Conan but still that doesn't mean a "Conan" figure could not have used the same mold as he-man.
    I would find it odd if it had NOTHING to do with it. Had to be at least a consideration. I know long flowing hair would be difficult....but the likeness otherwise would have made me legally worried at the time.

I think it is the only explanation plausible at this time, I mean, mattel worked or at least held the Conan toy line project for a whole year, something must had been pitched, I say it was this brown haired he-man that then had to "disappear" because :

mattel was being accused of

copyright infringement, Lanham Act violations, unfair competition, dilution, breach of contract, and fraud and misrepresentation
    While CPI had its own little problem, as far as I remember they were charging mattel with all of that without owning the rights to Conan.

So in conclusion, mattel produced something "illegally" and CPI gave the order to do so without having property of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    I think it is the only explanation plausible at this time, I mean, mattel worked or at least held the Conan toy line project for a whole year, something must had been pitched, I say it was this brown haired he-man that then had to "disappear" because :

mattel was being accused of

While CPI had its own little problem, as far as I remember they were charging mattel with all of that without owning the rights to Conan.

So in conclusion, mattel produced something "illegally" and CPI gave the order to do so without having property of the material.
    Back to 1978 Mattel reused few Big Jim molds to do a short "Tarzan" toyline, yeah maybe that the origin of this brown He-man is just similar and had simply nothing linked directly with Motu, it could explain why in their Motu's archives Mattel finds absolutely nothing, as if you are checking in the Big Jim's archives probably you can't find infos of the Tarzan toys because they are referenced as "Tarzan" somewhere. (and more complicated if the project has never succeeded legally).
    Tarzan story: http://www.plaidstallions.com/mattel/tarzan78.html

Last edited by TOKYONEVER; October 19, 2015 at 09:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Back to 1978 Mattel reused few Big Jim molds to do a short "Tarzan" toyline, yeah maybe that the origin of this brown He-man is just similar and had simply nothing linked directly with Motu, it could explain why in their Motu's archives Mattel finds absolutely nothing, as if you are checking in the Big Jim's archives probably you can't find infos of the Tarzan toys because they are referenced as "Tarzan" somewhere. (and more complicated if the project has never succeeded legally).
    Tarzan story: http://www.plaidstallions.com/mattel/tarzan78.html
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/autres/big1.jpg
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/autres/big2.jpg

I was thinking the same... Mattel's famous REUSE OF MOLDS... maybe He-Man mold was planned to be reused for a new toyline (maybe even Conan)...

I don't think the figure has anything to do with Conan, mainly because in the lawsuit it states that Mattel provided CPI with prototype heads for Conan, Thulsa Doom and Rexor.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I don't think the figure has anything to do with Conan, mainly because in the lawsuit it states that Mattel provided CPI with prototype heads for Conan, Thulsa Doom and Rexor.
    Exactly, even the early he-man prototype had a helmet and looked too familiar with Conan

I think all in all we end up looping through theories that had already been discussed and debunked.

Some Irish dude (I hope I got this one right) even made a two part video compiling all the facts.

Court Magician
    It's my own pet theory with nothing at all to back it, but I still like my idea that Savage He-Man began as a prototype of Prince Adam. Savage He-Man uses an older mold of He-Man with the 1981 date and the gap in the shorts, and seems to have appeared around the time of the second wave (the debut of Man-E-Faces), in the spring of 1983, just ahead of the debut of the show in the fall of 1983. By spring 84, wave 3 hits the shelves with Prince Adam being just a repainted and redressed He-Man figure.

I know there are stories out there about different ways Filmation and Mattel discussed differentiating Prince Adam from He-Man, but that it was ultimately decided, for cost reasons, to make Prince Adam identical to He-Man saved for the outfit. All these discussions would have been happening at about this time - late 82 early 83 - with wave 2 due in stores that spring and the show debuting the subsequent fall. The timing is exactly right for prototypes of Prince Adam to start getting bandied about. It makes sense to me that one thing that might have gotten discussed was changing He-Man's hair color when he is "Prince Adam," and that this idea got far enough down the line that some figures were produced with this idea in mind, but that, again perhaps for cost reasons, the decision was made to keep Prince Adam's hair blond. However, a certain number of brown-haired figures were already produced and, to get rid of them, were distributed - I think I agree with Ty18769 above - through various methods, including mail-away and in-store promotion.

Again, purely speculative, but I like my own line of thought!

Quote Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
    It's my own pet theory with nothing at all to back it, but I still like my idea that Savage He-Man began as a prototype of Prince Adam. Savage He-Man uses an older mold of He-Man with the 1981 date and the gap in the shorts, and seems to have appeared around the time of the second wave (the debut of Man-E-Faces), in the spring of 1983, just ahead of the debut of the show in the fall of 1983. By spring 84, wave 3 hits the shelves with Prince Adam being just a repainted and redressed He-Man figure.

I know there are stories out there about different ways Filmation and Mattel discussed differentiating Prince Adam from He-Man, but that it was ultimately decided, for cost reasons, to make Prince Adam identical to He-Man saved for the outfit. All these discussions would have been happening at about this time - late 82 early 83 - with wave 2 due in stores that spring and the show debuting the subsequent fall. The timing is exactly right for prototypes of Prince Adam to start getting bandied about. It makes sense to me that one thing that might have gotten discussed was changing He-Man's hair color when he is "Prince Adam," and that this idea got far enough down the line that some figures were produced with this idea in mind, but that, again perhaps for cost reasons, the decision was made to keep Prince Adam's hair blond. However, a certain number of brown-haired figures were already produced and, to get rid of them, were distributed - I think I agree with Ty18769 above - through various methods, including mail-away and in-store promotion.

Again, purely speculative, but I like my own line of thought!
    You might find this interesting.... Early release (with "New" burst on the top left corner) of Prince Adam also has the space in the shorts. Showing about the same time of production (and same mold with error used) as Savage He-Man.

photo by Calendor (this MOC figure is from his collection)

Nice find Mantisaur82.

Imagining that the Savage He-Man was an early Prince Adam concept with a vest and a belt like Prince Adam as we know him (with different colors), the result could be very close to the appearance of Gray:
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; November 2, 2015 at 04:45pm.

Very interesting stuff. I like the Prince Adam theory.

Here is the savage Prince Adam

(not a real deal of course, just photoshoped for fun)