Page 110 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2803

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Widget
    There are some similarities between Savage He-Man and another rare figure that Mattel produced in the early 1990s - the "Save Blinky" Bart Simpson. It was a repainted figure offered via mail-order from Mattel's brief line of Simpsons toys in 1990. Only a handful of figures are known to exist. There is only one known promotional coupon/flyer for the figure that's known to exist as well. The coupon asked for 3 UPC symbols and the coupon to get the free figure.

The address was PO Box 3072, City of Industry CA. Is this the same address that is on the coupon that;s associated with Savage He-Man?

I mention this because the figure was part of a promotion with Child World/Children's Palace which has been mentioned in this thread as a possible source for the Savage He-Man.
    Last edited by cwf84; February 27, 2019 at 03:39pm.

hot linking this from another site

Attached Images Attached Images

Could someone please tell me if this is a custom/fake? eBay item #153513051135 the left leg looks a little dubious to me, it looks like there is a little brown paint where the boot meets the leg. Also seller states in their listing "Disclaimer I' am not a Authenticator of He-Man action figures nor do I confirm to its Authenticity" which also sounds a little shady.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
    Could someone please tell me if this is a custom/fake? eBay item #153513051135 the left leg looks a little dubious to me, it looks like there is a little brown paint where the boot meets the leg. Also seller states in their listing "Disclaimer I' am not a Authenticator of He-Man action figures nor do I confirm to its Authenticity" which also sounds a little shady.
    At my eyes it is a Fake because the paint applied is not like a real one + the head is a little bit weird lol

Widget
    So it's been a looong time. Almost 10 years and I only posted one thing and forgot all about it. Anyway, I am a huge He-Man fan, as I am sure everyone is. When I was 4/5 years old in 1990, I had every He-Man figure and playset available at retail in North America up to that point. I had the minicomics and everything. Sometimes I would have duplicates because my dad bought a lot of things second hand at auctions and flea markets. In 1991, I was 6 and started going to these places with him. He took me to a flea market in San Antonio, Tx that summer and I was looking at a shop with toys, mainly newer stuff still in packaging and stuff and came across some loose HeMan figures. I passed them up at first but my dad picked one up and was being a goofball and did the whole "I have the power" phrase. I looked at him and said something to the effect of "He-Man has blonde hair." My dad then asked the shop owner about it and he said he picked up the box in Mexico and couldn't find any buyers. My dad ended up buying the whole box to sell at auction and had me take a look to see what was missing since I had them all. That one He-Man with brown hair stuck out like a sore thumb and even had a different feel to the plastic body. He didn't come with weapons or anything but I ended up keeping it cause I thought maybe it was another Faker figure or something. I don't remember the stamp on the back, and it being around 1991, MOTU collecting wasn't as mainstream and the internet wasn't widely available for others to find reference material. I wonder if maybe it was produced for the Mexican marketplace or one of those Mexican knockoff figures or something at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknoskan View Post
    I wonder if maybe it was produced for the Mexican marketplace or one of those Mexican knockoff figures or something at this point.
    Thanks for sharing your story and memories about this figure.
    The Figure is made in Taiwan coming from a Mattel factory (same quality, paint applications, molds etc than others Motu made in Taiwan figures), for sure it is not a bootleg.

Per Ram-Man's Blog, the legs were dipped in paint, not sprayed for this figure.
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

See my Masters of the Universe Mega Construx mini figures on eBay HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goddess View Post
    Per Ram-Man's Blog, the legs were dipped in paint, not sprayed for this figure.
    I see what you mean, if you are looking at a large part of the Made in Taiwan Motu figures many were also dipped as the Savage He-man, like the original He-Man, Battle Armor He-Man, Prince Adam, Faker, Thunder Punch He-Man etc

Few pictures taken from eBay to illustrate:

Once they storm Area 51 we'll get the answers we've been looking for.

The truth is out there... Area 51 houses all the old Wonderbread He-mans.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

this thread is 17 years old , the real question is WHERE is RAM MAN 21 ? who started this thread
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

It turns out that the real Wonder Bread He-Man was the friends we made along the way.

So as we head on into a new decade...

I was contacted recently by a gentleman who read my comments in this thread (under my old screen name of Night Stalker) who like me, remembers getting his and his brother's Savage He-Men from a grocery store. I speculated that it came from A&P, because that was likely where my relatives shopped, in Old Bridge, NJ.

This gentleman is positive that his came from A&P in Columbus OH. He wishes to remain anonymous, but I asked him if I could share his comments here in the thread, and he was fine with that.

Here's what Mr. S has to say:

Mine came from one of three A&P locations in Columbus. My grandmother alternated between those three locations, all of them A&P.

It came in a clear plastic bag with no accessories. No weapons or chest armor. I don't recall there being any sheet of paper inside. It was a promotion, not a bootleg. It would have been a promotion like BUY TWO LOAVES OF BREAD AND GET A FREE TOY. My grandmother purchased food in bulk and would not have had any issue buying the required amount, if needed.

It would have been the winter of late '84. We stayed with her between the second half of December and first half of January. I vaguely recall her already having them when we arrived, so it could have been a Thanksgiving or early Christmas promotion in late '84. I definitely know we had them out playing with them on Christmas day that year [1984].

Did A&P have a contract with Wonderbread? I know both companies were based in Columbus. That was the only brand of bread she ever bought, so I'm not ruling out the possible connection.

Other things she got us from A&P promotions were He-Man iron on patches and Hot Wheels Dukes of Hazzard cars. And a Neverending Story drink glass. The last thing she picked up there before she died were glow in the dark Slimer t-shirts from Ghostbusters II. She died July 4, 1989.

Another thought, was that both KB Toys and Toys R Us had distribution centers right outside of Columbus, and it seemed like they partnered with a lot of local companies for cross-promotion during the holidays. My uncle worked for Toys R Us, and he said that they would hand out merchandise vouchers to employees for other businesses, usually involving toys.

He did not remember a He-Man promotion for A&P, but he does remember getting A&P free turkey Thanksgiving vouchers from his supervisor.
    EDIT: I asked for clarification on this part, and he stated that the supervisors at Toys R Us distribution would hand out free vouchers to their employees, co-branded Toys R Us/A&P. The vouchers could be used at any A&P location by a Toys R Us employee toward a free Butterball turkey or whatever. I guess like a precursor to plastic gift cards. He added that he thought also that A&P employees could come up to TRU Distribution's employee outlet one specific day in December and hand in a voucher for free toys.

A&P, Toys R Us and KB Toys distribution centers were all located within a mile of each other in Groveport, off Toy Road. Wonderbread had a factory downtown and a DC in Groveport as well, but I don't know where that was. We lived in PA at the time, and this [information] all came to me secondhand from my uncle.
    EDIT: Coincidentally I now live in Columbus, and knew about Wonderbread being located here, but not about the other companies.

For years I had a Polaroid picture of Christmas that year [1984], and you could see in the photo my dark hair He-Man riding on his green cycle [Edit: I believe he's talking about the Road Ripper] and I'll see if I can find it at some point. It's not proof of where it came from but it's proof that we were playing with him on 12/25/84.
    I asked Mr. S for some more info on the Toys R Us Distribution employee store, and if he knew if it was possible that something like Savage He-Man could have been sold there. He stated that he would talk to his uncle about this and get back to me. He stated that he offhandedly recalls getting a factory second bicycle that probably originated there.

Me: Not to pry to much into your family life, but were your uncle and your grandmother close? I ask this because I'm wondering if he could have handed her a couple of toys he picked up at the employee store and said "here, give it to the kids for Christmas".

They weren't on the best terms, but they lived in the same area and saw each other at church every Sunday, so it's possible. I'm still leaning toward her having picked it up at the grocery store like she did the other things.

So that was the extent of our conversation thus far. He's going to do some more research on his end and get back to me. I wanted to share because I'm hoping that this is another clue that could finally lead us toward a definitive answer as to where this came from.

Thanks a lot for all the infos Night Stalker (and by the way Mr. X)

What is surprising me is the figure without any weapons inside the baggie.
    I guess some had (ax & sword) and others didn't.

i hate myself for not having obtained this as a kid because i have a unnatural photographic memory and would have remembered every detail of the WBHM.

I'm also mad at my friend who had every damn toy in that era because he was spoiled and even he didn't have a WBHM. If he knew about it or if his parents knew about it, he would be the kid who had 4 of them.

my mom shopped at pathmark back then and the only MOTU item i remember is the iron ons from the cereal boxes and the stickers/prizes entries from Nestle Quik.
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    So as we head on into a new decade...

I was contacted recently by a gentleman who read my comments in this thread (under my old screen name of Night Stalker) who like me, remembers getting his and his brother's Savage He-Men from a grocery store. I speculated that it came from A&P, because that was likely where my relatives shopped, in Old Bridge, NJ.

This gentleman is positive that his came from A&P in Columbus OH. He wishes to remain anonymous, but I asked him if I could share his comments here in the thread, and he was fine with that.

Here's what Mr. S has to say:

EDIT: I asked for clarification on this part, and he stated that the supervisors at Toys R Us distribution would hand out free vouchers to their employees, co-branded Toys R Us/A&P. The vouchers could be used at any A&P location by a Toys R Us employee toward a free Butterball turkey or whatever. I guess like a precursor to plastic gift cards. He added that he thought also that A&P employees could come up to TRU Distribution's employee outlet one specific day in December and hand in a voucher for free toys.

EDIT: Coincidentally I now live in Columbus, and knew about Wonderbread being located here, but not about the other companies.

I asked Mr. S for some more info on the Toys R Us Distribution employee store, and if he knew if it was possible that something like Savage He-Man could have been sold there. He stated that he would talk to his uncle about this and get back to me. He stated that he offhandedly recalls getting a factory second bicycle that probably originated there.

Me: Not to pry to much into your family life, but were your uncle and your grandmother close? I ask this because I'm wondering if he could have handed her a couple of toys he picked up at the employee store and said "here, give it to the kids for Christmas".

So that was the extent of our conversation thus far. He's going to do some more research on his end and get back to me. I wanted to share because I'm hoping that this is another clue that could finally lead us toward a definitive answer as to where this came from.
    So many of these types of stories seem believable, and it kind of bolsters the notion that this was somehow simply a mistake in a production run at one of the supplying factories, and so they simply disposed of them through various channels as a special giveaway item when they were looking to do a promotion someplace, using what would have otherwise been dead stock.

The in-store promotion theory is definitely one of my favorites in terms of plausibility.
    A&P was definitely a beast in its time, and in the 80s it worked to again make a foothold after a period of decline. This is from Wikipedia (take with a grain of salt as it's a Wiki entry):

"A&P started to acquire stores from other chains. In 1982, Stop & Shop exited New Jersey, not returning for almost 20 years. A&P purchased most of these stores to replace obsolete ones. In 1983, A&P bought Wisconsin-based Kohl's Food Stores (which had been part of the Kohl's department store chain) from BATUS, enabling A&P to reenter Wisconsin and Illinois. In 1984, A&P purchased Pantry Pride's Richmond, Virginia division.[24] The next year, A&P reinforced its profitable Canadian division by closing stores in Quebec, and acquiring Ontario's Dominion Stores.[28] In the U.S., A&P started construction of larger 40,000-square-foot (4,000 m2) supermarkets known as A&P Future Stores.[39][40] In 1986, A&P purchased Waldbaum's (with stores in southern New York and southern New England) and The Food Emporium, the latter an upscale New York City-based chain.[41] In 1989, A&P acquired Michigan-based Farmer Jack; also, A&P attempted to expand into Europe by bidding unsuccessfully for the Gateway Corporation (then the United Kingdom's third-largest grocery chain).[24] At the end of the decade, A&P reported a profit of 1.3% (compared to an industry average of 1.04%) on sales of $11 billion."

So it has a pretty big footprint at that time, in addition to its already existing number of stores.

And having an item that was poly-bagged or just loose in a box that they would ship around on the cheap to stores to hand out from the CS counter for people who brought in proof-of-purchase, or for people at the register to give out in exchange for a point of sale product like "buy x get y for free" seems realistic.
    LOOSELY comparable, I remember when Exxon gave out those free tiger tails in the 80s for some sort of purchase (I forgot what). Promotion gimmicks were the thing in the 80s. And remember all those displays in grocery stores where you could sign up to enter to win a free motorized kids car or giant stuff animal? They were pushing the product on the aisle display but that gimmick would draw you in.

Given that the Zodac armor and maroon weapons are now accounted for (the 80s weapons pack and the "Man-E-Weapons" promotion), this was most likely a bare-bones figure. Having a supply of those in a box to hand out is an easy thing to do. No card backs, no accessories, just a plain figure that was a grab-and-go exchange.

Also, if it was something like a first-run He-Man test sample Mattel had lying around, it could have also just as easily been something they were willing to sign over to A&P as a promo item, or to a bread company A&P partnered with heavily. It would have been a minimal investment to drum up sales off the popularity of MOTU at the time. If A&P or a bread company bought the figures for pennies on the dollars, the profit they would have made off the in-store sale would have warranted the expense of the Savage He-man freebie.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Given that the Zodac armor and maroon weapons are now accounted for (the 80s weapons pack and the "Man-E-Weapons" promotion), this was most likely a bare-bones figure. Having a supply of those in a box to hand out is an easy thing to do. No card backs, no accessories, just a plain figure that was a grab-and-go exchange.

Also, if it was something like a first-run He-Man test sample Mattel had lying around, it could have also just as easily been something they were willing to sign over to A&P as a promo item, or to a bread company A&P partnered with heavily. It would have been a minimal investment to drum up sales off the popularity of MOTU at the time. If A&P or a bread company bought the figures for pennies on the dollars, the profit they would have made off the in-store sale would have warranted the expense of the Savage He-man freebie.
    It's possible that some actually did come with maroon weapons, and some were barebones. Mattel may have had a bunch of extra maroon weapons laying around, as well, with nothing else to do with them (the 1984 date sounds like it coincides pretty closely to the Man-E-Weapons promotion). I spoke to a gentleman on eBay once who said that his came with the maroon shield, rather than the more commonly seen sword/axe combo. (The Zodac armor was a very early theory that has long since been discounted.)

Great information, Night Stalker. Seems to be about the most definitive answer yet on how these were distributed. We'll probably never know why they were made, but maybe in another decade... or two...

The gentleman that contacted me hasn't replied to my emails in the last couple of weeks. I was trying to get a bit more information from him. If he's reading this, check your spam folder!
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

this thread is nearly 18 years old and still no cure .. ha
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Hasn't anyone from Mattel ever provided any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    They've been asked, but no one has found any records. Doesn't mean they didn't exist of course. I asked Martin Arriola, and he thought it was done just before he started (he came in in 1982 just after Mark Taylor left)
    Last edited by Lich Leech; April 30, 2020 at 02:03pm.

We have an article about it in the official Toy Guide coming out later this year where I briefly go over the history of the figure in that regard.
    The bottom line is, Mattel has done their own research and found nothing to-date.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

They have no record of this figure or any promotion it may have been tied to. Individuals that worked for Mattel during that era have either no memories or very vague recollections of its existence.

One thing I've tried to do is dig through newspaper scans from that era, specifically for A&P adverts, in the NJ, PA and Ohio regions. Aside from the underlying frustration of not being able to access most of those papers online (most of it is still microfiched), A&P apparently wasn't big on in-paper advertising; they appear to have gone all out on full-color inserts, separate from the main paper.

It makes sense; as Val pointed out, A&P was the king of the hill in Supermarkets up to the mid-eighties, so they could afford to go that route. (We even had a small chain of A&P's in Europe!) Needless to say, however, very few of those adverts were archived on microfiche since they weren't technically part of the newspaper. Extremely disappointing.

Now that I live in Ohio, once the libraries reopen I may try to do some more microfiche digging through the Dispatch archives. Even then, it may be a dead end if what Mr. Smith shared with me was accurate and this was an inter-business promotion that wouldn't have been necessarily advertised to the public.

I keep hoping for the magic bullet to zing my way one day with definitive proof of where this figure came from.

EDIT: Val beat me to it, and I look forward to reading that article!
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Court Magician
    Cross-posted from the "Latest MOTU Score" thread: I'd been watching this on eBay for a while and finally decided to do it:

savageheman2.jpg
    savageheman.jpg

It's a fake, but a reasonably good one. $75 for such silliness, but I've always been fascinated by this thing and it makes me happy. Also, at $75, while I'll want him to be careful with it, I can let my son play with it - unlike a $1,000+ real one, which I would never buy anyway unless I was worth nine figures, which I will never be.
    Last edited by mozartpc27; June 6, 2020 at 03:58pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    We have an article about it in the official Toy Guide coming out later this year where I briefly go over the history of the figure in that regard.
    The bottom line is, Mattel has done their own research and found nothing to-date.
    I can think of no good reason why Mattel would lie about this but I can imagine 100 reasons why any person not affiliated with Mattel would paint over a HeMan .

A Conan fan took offense .

Dumpster diving entrepreneur , repaints and resells at a flea market .

A loving African American parent who wants to give their child an awesome toy . I remember one African action figure in the good ol days and that was MR T from A Team .