Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Fall of Grayskull fan-film discussion!

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I need high-quality gifs of Shadow Weaver blasting Evil-Lyn and then one of Evil-Lyn's face melting.

*melting one is too graphic to embed*
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...oG_melting.gif

This was crazy awesome. I could tell within seconds I was going to love it, just from Alan Oppenheimer's opening narration. Evil Lyn's costume was especially good. Mostly because she wasn't an exact replica of the toy or cartoons, but rather her own entity that managed to capture the spirit of the role, so she was my favourite in this.

Shadow Weaver was portrayed excellently as well.

That part where she glides away after melting Evil Lyn's face off, was a brilliant touch and executed with real skill. In fact, that resonated better with me than the gory demise of her opponent. Just the way her robes billowed as she levitated behind the wall. It was like watching some creeptastic slasher flick. To the point I was left wondering who she might slaughter next.

He-Man too, looked the part. I don't think he's a complicated character, as long as you don't overthink it and this guy Cage was certainly competent and up to the task. Coming across as gruff and tough looking. And with good hair! (even if it was a wig, it did the trick!) so you covered all the bases.

Skeletor was great and I liked the camera shots with him, especially in the beginning where much of his skull was covered by the gloom of his cowl. The glimpses of his bony jaw and teeth amidst the darkness of his surroundings worked to the character's advantage and I would have preferred even more of that throughout, as that's when he seemed the most scary. His voice was good too.

I wasn't sure about Teela's portrayal to start with, but as the film progressed I thought the actress really carried the role well. I would have preferred an appearance that harkened to her Filmation design, but the battleground look suited the film and lent itself to the circumstances. Plus the girl playing her is hot, which also helped. XD

I did NOT expect to see...

Castle Grayskullman! To your credit, the mask looked great. In less capable hands that could have gone completely wrong and may have come across like some hokey Frankenstein, but it didn't. He seemed menacing and had presence which was what you were going for I'm assuming. I did admittedly laugh when I saw him, cos he's your own creation. Then again, if I'd had my character immortalised in plastic, I would have done the exact same thing, so massive kudos again man. In fact, I'd argue he was the second best character on screen after Evil Lyn. Again, just scary, massive and cool.

Tri-Klops was fun, his costume looked good and seemed equipped with some of the funnier lines throughout, so I liked him.

I didn't mind the green screen and understood it was because of budget restraints. There was still a strong sense of atmosphere about Grayskull's interior.

The sword obviously wasn't an accurate representation but I'm not sure it could have translated to screen well, so it wasn't to the film's detriment. Plus the one you used looked cool and served its purpose.

As for my gripes, they were seldom but some of the casting decisions didn't sit right with me. The Sorceress had a great headpiece for her costume, but I didn't find the person playing her to be very convincing, so would have preferred someone else. Perhaps older and with more gravitas. I felt more poignancy was needed in her delivery of dialogue, so that the wisdom of the character could have been better felt on screen. Just an opinion though.

Same with the guy playing Adam. I really didn't get why he was chosen. It just felt like some random dude from catering holding a sword. He could at least have been given a wig or something, so he fitted the role better. Though on the flip side, when he turned back into He-Man, it felt even more dramatic.

Finishing on a positive though, that scene halfway through the credits when...

...the story shifted to Etheria was a great way to end things. Force Captain Adora looked beautiful (as she should) and the gauntlet encased hand belonging to Hordak...

...set up the next installment perfectly. I'm already sold on a sequel so get back on Kickstarter and take my money already!

Also when the credits rolled and I saw my name as one of the contributors, I got a massive kick out of it and completely geeked out. I've already told my friends and fully intend to make them watch it.

In closing I thoroughly enjoyed it, so well done!
    Last edited by Nephilim; January 13, 2016 at 03:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    The sword obviously wasn't an accurate representation but I'm not sure it could have translated to screen well, so it wasn't to the film's detriment. Plus the one you used looked cool and served its purpose.
    This one would have been better imo..

Be it a modified one.

As for the backdrops I really feel this could have been done better even with the restrictions of the green screen..
    Last edited by Neo; January 13, 2016 at 05:39am.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Just finished watching this! Wow! congrats to everyone involved in this fan project, very well done buddies ...and now I need to have Castle GrayskullMan in my collection too! lol
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    just watched it, had an old school mortal kombat defenders of the realm vibe about it.

like most interpretations of he-man it occurs essentially after the end. I could see the filmation, 87 movie and 200x influences but they didn't feel shoehorned in which is the criticism I have with most fan films.

teela I would have to agree came off a little weak its like there was a lot of build up but no payoff perhaps the first beam of war could have been between her and evil-lyn? then shadow weaver grabbed the shard that teela had been trying to keep away from her?

he-man was a bit of a disappointment as skeletor just felt way stronger than him

those things aside, I liked it! most of the characterisation was on par. castlegrayskullman was suitably menacing and powerful as the last line of defence. costumes were amazing and that actor who portrayed hordak should get an Oscar
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatha View Post
    That's the exact moment when I stopped watching.
    That scene was unfortunately the first piece of footage I saw of the film, and it made me not want to watch any more, mainly because the execution (pun unintended) of that sequence was far too gruesome. I am firmly of the opinion that when dealing with a toy-based property like MOTU, it should always be suitable for kids to enjoy. This was more like Mortal Kombat, unnecessarily and brutally gory.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That scene was unfortunately the first piece of footage I saw of the film, and it made me not want to watch any more, mainly because the execution (pun unintended) of that sequence was far too gruesome. I am firmly of the opinion that when dealing with a toy-based property like MOTU, it should always be suitable for kids to enjoy. This was more like Mortal Kombat, unnecessarily and brutally gory.
    Thank you, RocketPunch. I didn't think anyone else out there felt like I do. Knowing that other people like watching MOTU characters die slowly made me think this fandom was not for me and I put away the Teela and Evil-Lyn dolls I had on my desk. When so many people enjoy watching someone die, it makes me wonder what the point of the cartoon even was.
    Last edited by Ragatha; January 15, 2016 at 10:53am. Reason: I have trouble typing
    If I could only get back to yesterday, today would be a perfect day.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    While I can see where you're coming from, toys - like animation, comics, or any other medium - doesn't automatically equal 'for kids' (though that was very much the angle of the vintage line, so I can understand feeling uncomfortable seeing those characters put into something with a different tone).

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatha View Post
    Thank you, RocketPunch. I didn't think anyone else out there felt like I do. Knowing that other people like watching MOTU characters die slowly made me think this fandom was not for me and I put away the Teela and Evil-Lyn dolls I had on my desk. When so many people enjoy watching someone die, it makes me wonder what the point of the cartoon even was.
    I don't think it's about enjoying watching someone die, exactly - it's more about showing what the stakes are. Personally, I feel like this is an interpretation that tried to imagine the franchise as a believable world - in the sense of imagining how actual people would react to it - which doesn't really fit with, say, a more FILMation-y behaviour of sneaking into the royal palace in a big cake.

But that's not to say one interpretation is empirically better or more correct than another. One thing I've always loved about Batman, as an example, is that whatever type of story or genre you're into, there's an interpretation of the character out there for you - whether it's madcap 60s telly, creepy 70s comics or grim 00s movies. It can be interesting to play around with characters and format from different angles - though not every angle will be to every fan's taste, it opens up the franchise as a whole to a wider range of people.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a rambly kind of way, is that the existence of one interpretation doesn't negate all the others - the cartoons and toys and comics are all still out there being wonderful in their own equally-valid ways, and I hope whichever version you prefer hasn't lost it's shine for you - it would be awful if a version you didn't like spoiled your enjoyment of a version you do like.

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Did anyone else have trouble getting the disc to play on their DVD players? I couldn't get it to play on either of mine.

I finally tried to play it on my computer, but it wouldn't automatically open to play (like when I put in a cd). So I had to go to the folders on the DVD and open them before it would play. It's really weird.

Haven't watch it yet though bc I want to watch it with my wife.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by ipsissimus_clay View Post
    While I can see where you're coming from, toys - like animation, comics, or any other medium - doesn't automatically equal 'for kids' (though that was very much the angle of the vintage line, so I can understand feeling uncomfortable seeing those characters put into something with a different tone).

I don't think it's about enjoying watching someone die, exactly - it's more about showing what the stakes are. Personally, I feel like this is an interpretation that tried to imagine the franchise as a believable world - in the sense of imagining how actual people would react to it - which doesn't really fit with, say, a more FILMation-y behaviour of sneaking into the royal palace in a big cake.

But that's not to say one interpretation is empirically better or more correct than another. One thing I've always loved about Batman, as an example, is that whatever type of story or genre you're into, there's an interpretation of the character out there for you - whether it's madcap 60s telly, creepy 70s comics or grim 00s movies. It can be interesting to play around with characters and format from different angles - though not every angle will be to every fan's taste, it opens up the franchise as a whole to a wider range of people.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a rambly kind of way, is that the existence of one interpretation doesn't negate all the others - the cartoons and toys and comics are all still out there being wonderful in their own equally-valid ways, and I hope whichever version you prefer hasn't lost it's shine for you - it would be awful if a version you didn't like spoiled your enjoyment of a version you do like.
    Absolutely. I'm not opposed to people doing a more adult version of MOTU, as I know there are many fans out there who want to see a grittier take on it. It's just not for me. I don't read the current comics for that reason as well.

I enjoy the 60s Batman, the Nolan movies & the Arkham video games equally. I think with a character like Batman you can do stories that are fun and silly, or dark and violent. I'm not sure that the same approach really works for the worlds of He-Man & She-Ra.

I just hope that there will always be at least one current version of MOTU that is suitable for all ages to enjoy. A property with characters named Stinkor & Ram Man should never be taken too seriously.

I still think that scene was needlessly long & gratuitous though. A quick shot of the face melting would have sufficed. It was good enough for Spielberg in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

First, I completely love your post... for someone who's been an org member for 7 years yet with just 17 posts, I'm impressed with how you've made the most of having something to say!
    I'm always trying to convey this to my wife, who usually seems to have a very "right way" version of things based on her preference... as in, only the Filmation interpretation of He-Man and She-Ra are the "real" or "right" versions, according to her! lol.

I completely embrace that "variety is the spice of life" and enjoy the fact that so many different interpretations DO exist for some of the things I love... especially MOTU!

Of course, everyone has their own opinions, and that said, even someone like me is of course not going to like ALL versions of something equally, or even necessarily actually like them all... but I do wish more people could be more open to different interpretations in general. (It really allows you to enjoy something you love even more fully!)

THAT said, again, of course not every version is going to be some peoples' cup of tea, which is perfectly understandable and valid. THIS particular version is quite different than most are used to, and actually moreso than I was anticipating. Even though the DC comics have taken a more realistic/darker/harsher tone than previous incarnations, I guess I was assuming Daniel and crew would be putting together something a bit more light-hearted or whimsical than this.

I liked the film, and find it truly impressive in terms of what they were able to pull off with the budget limitations! Still, (while happy to have another unique interpretation!), I would have preferred for this to be a bit "lighter" so as to more greatly appeal to the MOTU fan masses. I would not have personally chosen so much killing/death/agony, and also felt that the fate and actions of some characters is not what I would really actually want to see them go through or do.

I also appreciate your comments, RocketPunch, regarding MOTU appealing to kids... my twin girls (Teela and Kylie) just turned 7, and I have brought them up on He-Man and She-Ra... They get the classics figures with me each month, watch cartoons, read all the old golden books and mini comics, love the '87 movie, and we even have monthly "daddy-daughter comic dates" for ice cream and to read the DC comics together as they release (hoping that continues past February, by the way!)... yes, those comics skew a bit more "adult" too, but we always discuss everything in a way they can process, and it's always been important to me to not try too hard to "shield" them from things that may be a bit harsh, but rather to get them to be able to understand and process it in their way... they are well-rounded and healthy kids as such! That said, I was a bit reserved about sharing this film with them (even though we'd hyped up getting it for some time)... at the end of the day, I decided to go ahead and view it with them, but I had to do a LOT of preparing/explaining beforehand, and even had them watch the behind the scenes making of feature first so they could see that the face melting was actually just a prop/art/effect thing and nothing bad actually happening to a person. FYI... they both ended up reviewing the film as essentially "I liked it more than I thought I would."

So, would have preferred something different, but truly happy to have this as its own thing. Great job Daniel and crew, and I remain proud to be a Kickstarter supporter and in the credits!

I don't know why live action always shys away from using He-mans proper sword design. I think the vintage/filmation sword would look great in real life if slim lined a bit and made long enough. More filmation rather than vintage toy. Teelas Filmation sword too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I liked the looks of the characters and there were some fun effects, but why the green screen? Wouldn't it have been better to just use an actual castle?
    Castles are in short supply in Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by I, Harbinger View Post
    ... Costumes and props were very nicely done for the most part, He-Man & Tri-Klops especially so...

Performance wise, Johnny Bilson was pretty creeptastic, he takes the golden Man-E award for me. Clark and Cage's performances were fairly strong...
    Thanks! He's a fun character to play! I loved Clark's Skeletor; dude blew us away even on the read-through. We all knew we had to really bring our A-game if we were going to share the screen with him. Cage definitely became my favorite He-Man with this too!

...Shadow Weaver... I'd like to know more about the process of coming up with that language. And even though it was (perfectly) unintelligible, Torres' performance still came through in her delivery...
    It was mostly Latin. I loved the weird, backward echo Daniel added to her voice. And she was spectacularly creepy even just when she was rehearsing her lines. We knew we had the right girl for the job.

...Menche really nailed Filmation Sorceress's cadence...
    Right!? I wasn't there when she shot her scenes, so I was pleasantly surprised to see her give what I thought was a PERFECT performance. By the way, she had never acted before this.

...Hendrick's interpretation of Evil-Lyn felt like a different character for me, not just visually but in the delivery...
    She was meant to be shown as even more mentally unstable at this point. I liked it.

Teela's character was kind of disappointing for me... That doesn't feel like our feisty, strong-willed and capable Captain of the Guard to me. And it felt like there was this build up to her destiny as the next Sorceress that never paid off....
    I've heard this criticism of her portrayal, and I could almost agree, except when you look at it in context: While she is a military commander, she is also still quite young, and has just seen many of her friends and family slaughtered and the Castle taken over by Skeletor, so she really isn't in her best state of mind at this point, which is why she seems a little flustered and has that in-over-her-head feel in the film.

As for her being the new Sorceress, as her first act in that role, she recited the spell that summoned Castle Grayskullman who then resurrected Adam so He-Man could finally defeat Skeletor. How's that for pay-off!?

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    ...Evil-Lyn's melting face was so cool! I'd love to hear how you pulled that off. It looked like more than just CGI. Did you make a prop face and melt wax off of it?
    Pretty much. Our FX girl, Cassandra Baker made a cast of Allie's face (in a death-grimace), and then used some sort of silicone in the mold over a skull, then used a heat gun to melt it all off.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ...I really enjoyed the costumes, narration and overall color tone of the film, very well done. CGM's mask was especially fun, excellent work there!
    Thanks! I worked really hard to make him look menacing, and I think it worked, because the first time Brian was in the full costume (mask and all), rehearsing the shot where CGM stomps up to me and stares me down, I accidentally said "Oh $#!+" It was really freaky.

Shadow Weaver's... dialogue - on one hand, having just one character on an alien world speaking something different to the others kind of calls attention to the fact everyone else appears to be speaking English, but on the other hand... it sounded ridiculously cool, so I got over that quibble pretty fast.
    It was meant to make her feel more demonic. And the others aren't speaking English; we're speaking Eternian!

(And is it just me, or did Tri-Klops get suddenly really hot?! )
    He certainly did!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    ... Evil Lyn's costume was especially good. Mostly because she wasn't an exact replica of the toy or cartoons, but rather her own entity that managed to capture the spirit of the role, so she was my favourite in this...
    Interesting, as a lot of fans are critical of the departure from her previous incarnations. But as this takes place much later, we wanted to show some evolution in her style. Basically: she's crazier, so wearing her Nighty-of-Doom into battle seems like a perfectly rational choice to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I don't know why live action always shys away from using He-mans proper sword design....
    We didn't shy away from it. In order to have one fabricated for us that would stand up to combat, it would've cost us a full 10% of our entire budget, which would mean we'd have to cut out at least one full character, as we wouldn't be able to afford to make their costume. Daniel realized this early on, and made the decision to have a different version of the sword for his film.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

The gag reel is a lot of fun!

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Widget
    Nice work ...
    Hope this becomes more than a one off project !!

Court Magician
    caught this on YouTube in my feed. Didn't know this was in the works. It was a good effort! Entertained. Not bad for a fan made movie! kudos.

I just watched it.

I can see it was project of love! I hope everyone had fun doing it, and helps everyone taking part careers! I hope some some thoughts are alright!

The opening and atmosphere with the narrator was great, I really enjoyed it. I do wonder the 3d Logo however. I think going with painting style as the intro was otherwise done would have been the right way.

I really liked the effort for the costumes, I would not have done same choices for everything but there was clear effort. He-man, Teela and Tri-klops make up was really good. I did not especially feel Evil-Lyn costume, especially the head make-up made her feel a bit different character I am used to see her. I feel she is more cold and calculative sort of Evil Queen from Snow White, and not gothic crazy witch as in here. Would be interesting to see what was the original concept from Nate, and how it was different. But while I disagreed with some choices, I think director needs to make their own choices and changes if it fits his vision.

The story unfortunately really didn't do much to me, but I suppose the goal was to have some reason for cool effects, lots of characters and some battle.. so it did that. I understand there was only limited time to do everything, and film could only be about half an hour long. However I felt the film lacked really good character interaction. Teela and Sorceress had some sort of "talking head" syndrome, showing one to speak, then another, and so on. The film perhaps had the green screen issue of not feeling actors really being in same space at times. I did like the very ending of He-man carrying Teela and the dialogue there, although quite change of mood from rest of the film.

I hope it does not sound overly critical, I wanted to keep this sort and readable. Film was a fun one to watch and clearly done with love still! Crafting a plot and keeping everything together cannot be easy, its much more than most of us manage to do! So I hope this does not feel discouraging, I am sure next project will be even better!

Widget
    For a micro budget fan film, loved it... Yes there were a couple of wonky effects etc. but it was a labour of love and that shines through!

The costumes were great, really dug the Evil Lyn make up job, are there any hi-res close ups floating around so I can steal it for a photoshoot? Well done to all involved you should be justly proud!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I got my perk package last week and popped in the DVD. For an independent film on a micro budget, it was good. I could criticize some things but I have to pull back and remember that this is a fan film. So remembering that, I definitely got my money's worth! Especially with Evil-Lyn! She stole this villain's black heart!

Too bad she didn't make it to the end...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I watched this yesterday. Makes me realize how incredibly hard it is to portray male characters in this franchise in live action. Brian Cage looked the part as best as I've seen. Johnny Bilson only suffers from not taking steroids and pumping iron 20 hours a day, lol. Otherwise, he did great for a fan film. Same goes for the guy who played Skeletor. He put in a decent performance as Skeletor and had the facial looks down.

As for the female characters, they looked awesome. Mercedez Varble made for an alluring Teela. Shadow Weaver was the most unique and I thought the special effects with her eyes looked cool. The Evil-Lyn was different.

I personally am not a fan of fan films and while this won't go down as film of the year, I appreciate some good visual takeaways this film had. It can't be easy pulling off a project like this.

I finally got to sit back and watch it from start to finish and I enjoyed it very much. Brian Cage was He-Man! Tri-Klops was great, but for me, Shadow Weaver stole the show!

The one thing I didn't like? The costumes were very loyal to the franchise in one form or another except for ... Evil-Lyn! WHY did they stay true to everyone else but sex her up to look like some kind of Gothic Arabian belly dancer!?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Totally Dyslexic
    Finally watched thanks to YouTube

Brian Cage was good as He-Man, i really enjoyed his performance. Mercedez Varble has an amazing body but her performance wasn┤t cohesive to me.

Shadow Weaver was a great addition, her language and the floating was great.

Evil Lyn and the Sorceress were┤t my cup of tea looks and acting wise.

The force captain though, i was surprised, nice idea!

And the tapping hand was fun, i have to admit the ending with He-Man and tesla and the teaser scene were my favorite scenes the rest was a bit to dark for my taste.

Over all amazing job, pulling that off with that amount of money. Very impressive.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior

Fall of Grayskull fan-film discussion!

Would it be more or less difficult to make an animated movie using the Filmation cells that fans have collected and using these actor's voices and rotoscoping them?

Finally watched this with my seven and 12 year old daughters last night and we all loved it!

The end of Triclops was a bit shocking, but not to start doing for the younger age group considering they've watched The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies for years.

My favorite part was probably the final scene of the main film with the "problem with power" dialogue. I really enjoyed seeing that done in live action.

Will definitely be backing again for a sequel.
    Last edited by He-Guy; January 24, 2016 at 03:48am.

Being away from the forums over the past year, I got wind of this from a friend's Facebook post and the filmmaker's guest appearance in a recent Roast Gooble episode. Loved it, hope to see more projects like this. Bonus for using Battleground Teela, whose one of the few action figures I keep on display at all times.