Thread: Fable, Allegory, Mythology, and MOTU

Heroic Warrior

Fable, Allegory, Mythology, and MOTU

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I quite often think way too much about things like the topic I’m bringing up today. So, if you feel like rolling your eyes and groaning go right ahead. I feel like it too sometimes *LOL*.

I’d guess it was about six months before I’d even heard of MOTU Classics that I began to re-watch all the Filmation He-Man and She-Ra episodes I could find on YouTube and then Hulu. As I was watching them, specifically He-Man, an idea began to form in the back of my mind that the series is, in a way, a fable about the enlightened individual and the struggle such an individual may have with another who wants the “power” without the work.

What happens in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon? Prince Adam - the Prince of Man (Adam meaning “Man” or “Human” in Hebrew) - holds aloft his magic sword and calls, “By the Power of Grayskull!” Light suddenly surrounds him and his appearance alters, then he states “I have the Power!”

“By the Power of Grayskull”- Castle Grayskull being an allegory for the mind- light surrounds him - he is in light...he is enlightened. “I have the Power!” By the power of the mind Adam, the Prince of Man, is enlightened, giving him great power.

After considering the above idea I really took a flying leap, complete with somersault, down the rabbit hole. After considering the whole Adam/He-Man transformation as a fable for individual enlightenment and Castle Grayskull as an allegory for the human mind, I began to wonder about symbolism. Both He-Man and Skeletor have what could be considered Templar/Freemason symbols on their chests - He-Man with the cross pattée and Skeletor being one big skull and crossbones (yes, Skeletor could be just a symbol for “Toxic! Poison! Bad!” too but I like the Templar/Mason idea). So, now we have enlightenment and possibly Templars/Freemasons. That pretty much sums up the allegory/fable side of things as I’ve constructed them in my mind. On to mythology!

When I finally felt I’d thought long and hard enough about the symbolic side of the show, I made yet another leap: Randor and Marleena are Divine Parents. In almost every cosmology I’ve ever read about there is a Sky God and an Earth Goddess who mate and have children. Randor and Marleena are the Sky God and Earth Goddess for the MOTU universe. Shoot, just look at their clothing: A green gown for Marleena, who travelled from Earth into the heavens to ultimately meet her blue-robed husband on Eternia. Once wed, they have divine heroic twins who grow up to be saviors. The Sorceress seems very similar to the Norse goddess Freya, who wore a falcon cloak and could turn into a falcon. There are probably quite a few other examples out there, but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I wanted to post this here at the .org, with people who share my interests, to get everyone’s thoughts about all the above. Can you expand on it or rip it apart? What are y’all’s thoughts on these ideas?

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    Very intresting, also the skull itself as been a symbol of knowledge and wisdom. So it makes sense that all the power resides in the castle of skull.
    Etheria will be mine!

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    There is LOADS of Illuminati symbolism in MOTU... David Icke would have a field day with the MOTU mythology.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Heroic Warrior
    I always had fun thinking on the symbolism of HeMan and SheRa .

Both the colour Grey and a skull is the symbol of Death . All the knowledge and Power of the universe resides there , defended by HeMan . Its a bit disconcerting .
    I once read up one description of Freya Norse goddess of love . She also wears a falcon outfit not unlike the Sorceress.

Then there is that cosmic good and evil balance . HeMan never truly defeats Skeletor even saves him on occasion . Skeletor in turn has joined with the forces of good 2 or 3 times to get rid of worse evils like Evil Seed or Shegora . Daimar the king of demons ready to invade Eternia befriends HeMan .
    Eternia needs or even thrives on both good and evil it seems .

Heres something about Swiftwind / Spirit . One of the writers must have known some Hermetic lore . Book of Lambspring - Levity tract states . "The unicorn shall be the spirit at all times ."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by General Stingrad View Post
    Very intresting, also the skull itself as been a symbol of knowledge and wisdom. So it makes sense that all the power resides in the castle of skull.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    There is LOADS of Illuminati symbolism in MOTU... David Icke would have a field day with the MOTU mythology.
    I've heard about the Illuminati references, but I'm not too well-versed in all of that. Do you have any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    I always had fun thinking on the symbolism of HeMan and SheRa .

Both the colour Grey and a skull is the symbol of Death . All the knowledge and Power of the universe resides there , defended by HeMan . Its a bit disconcerting .
    Now that you mention it, it is a little bit disconcerting isn't it?

I once read up one description of Freya Norse goddess of love . She also wears a falcon outfit not unlike the Sorceress.

Then there is that cosmic good and evil balance . HeMan never truly defeats Skeletor even saves him on occasion . Skeletor in turn has joined with the forces of good 2 or 3 times to get rid of worse evils like Evil Seed or Shegora . Daimar the king of demons ready to invade Eternia befriends HeMan .
    Eternia needs or even thrives on both good and evil it seems .

Heres something about Swiftwind / Spirit . One of the writers must have known some Hermetic lore . Book of Lambspring - Levity tract states . "The unicorn shall be the spirit at all times ."
    I did not know that about Swifty. Cool!

Hate to be the one to say this... being Latin American and all. See, back in day you would hear Internet rumors, mostly from some Mexican show that stated that pokemon was satanic, and that the names came from specific demons or whatever (G1, all of this before houndour and houndoom, actually somewhat demonic pokemons they could have had bases for saying are satanic, and they said nothing). Also, this one time in the year 2000 I saw on the news that a team literally went to a school (and in the same state I live, argh) to cover a story about some confiscated, demonic, satanic, malefic, and evil YOO YEE YOH cards... yeah... yu-gi-oh, all about spawns of hell. This cards were telling kids to kill and drink blood, oooooh. Oh, and this very same channel aired EVANGELION and SOUTH PARK, not even kidding.

Anyway, the Havoc Staff is a demonic allegory... it's the goat skull. If I'm not mistaken the reason for this is that during the well informed middle ages, goats were considered to be possessed, I think it's because the way they acted and sounds they made when in heat. Which is so very wrong, not wishing to go deep into a religious topic, even for Christians goats are considered to be "clean" food, it's permitted to eat them.

Notice how in Doom and Doom II Baron's of Hell, and Hell Knights have goat heads, and well, hooves.

To me MOTU actually has a big Dungeons & Dragons feel to it. Getting it out the of the way, it too had satanic imagery, more obvious so (since it wasn't specifically a kid's toy franchise) with pentagrams and upside down crosses... it's for such things that it got so much negative attention from misinformed media. But more importantly (and all of the following I love) they both have the barbaric aspect, magic, swords, and mysticism.

People always freak out when something is demonic... but they shouldn't if it's the bad guys or antagonists... it's not like you are rooting for satan. Notice how He-Man has a cross on his harness. If the good guys were the ones with satanic imagery I'd understand the overreaction, but really... people have blown stuff out of proportion for years.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenJ1977 View Post
    Yep!
    I've heard about the Illuminati references, but I'm not too well-versed in all of that. Do you have any examples?
    The cross on He-Man's chest armor resembles a Maltese cross, which is based on an ancient Phoenician symbol representing the sun in sun-worshipping religions. The image is commonly used in Masonic lodges as well as by the Royal families of Britain and Europe, who are among the alleged 'Illuminati bloodlines'.

Also the dome on top of Grayskull is typical of Masonic/Illuminati architecture, dome-shaped summits atop buildings are said to conduct feminine moon energy for use in occult practices.

The coiled serpent around Snake Mountain strongly resembles ancient symbolism of a coiled serpent around a mountain, staff or pole, symbolizing ascension from Earth to the stars and used by ancient medical practitioners, now also common in Freemasonry and establishment-run organisations i.e. big business corporations, universities etc.

Keldor's supposed possession by demonic forces channelled via occult practices which subsequently transform him into Skeletor is similar to the alleged channelling/possession of demonic entities by Illuminati officials, believed by some to be inner-terrestrials hidden within the Earth (some allege that Hitler was one such individual possessed by these entities- he certainly believed in channelling and the inner-terrestrial Aryan 'master race').

The Havoc Staff as mentioned before resembles the goat head, a common feature in Satanic ritual practice said to be used by the Illuminati bloodlines.

The theme of the Council of Elders and their 'secrets of the universe' being passed along from generation to generation within the walls of Grayskull whilst being hidden from the outside world strongly resembles the alleged practices of 'secret societies' i.e. the Egyptian Mystery Schools, the Freemasons, the Knight's Templar, the Skull and Bones Society etc., which are said to conceal ancient cosmic energies and occult secrets allowing the highest initiates control over the Earth's energy grid and ultimately mastery over the Earth's mystical forces. Again, Adam's 'channelling' of these mystical forces via the Power Sword to become He-Man also resembles the possession/channelling theme prominent in Illuminati theories.

Finally, the Snake Men, a reptilian race from another dimension who invaded and conquered Eternia and manipulated their way into power, viewing themselves as a kind of 'master race' is very close to the theory that many of the bloodlines of the Illuminati are secretly descended from ancient reptilian races from other galaxies, most specifically the Draco constellation, which are said to have invaded Earth centuries ago and worked their way into positions of power, establishing the ancient empires of Babylon, Egypt and many more, hence the reptilian symbolism such as the coiled serpent. King Hiss being a reptilian who disguises himself as a human via false skin is very like the theory that many of the world's ruling families, most notably the British House of Windsor, are in fact reptilian humanoids who have used energy manipulation to assume human form.

Of course, just how much of this Illuminati business has any grounding in reality and how much is just loopy conspiracy theories (most of it probably the latter) is up for debate, but we can save that talk for the Tar Swamp. A lot of the wackier conspiracy theorists claim that the whole world's media is run by Illuminati agents and that all this symbolism in fantasy and sci-fi franchises such as MOTU is deliberate, to signify control to enlightened members of the Illuminati brotherhood. I'm highly skeptical of that, but either way it's very interesting to read up on the Illuminati theories and see just how many parallels there are within MOTU, coincidental or not!
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    Hate to be the one to say this... being Latin American and all. See, back in day you would hear Internet rumors, mostly from some Mexican show that stated that pokemon was satanic, and that the names came from specific demons or whatever (G1, all of this before houndour and houndoom, actually somewhat demonic pokemons they could have had bases for saying are satanic, and they said nothing). Also, this one time in the year 2000 I saw on the news that a team literally went to a school (and in the same state I live, argh) to cover a story about some confiscated, demonic, satanic, malefic, and evil YOO YEE YOH cards... yeah... yu-gi-oh, all about spawns of hell. This cards were telling kids to kill and drink blood, oooooh. Oh, and this very same channel aired EVANGELION and SOUTH PARK, not even kidding.

Anyway, the Havoc Staff is a demonic allegory... it's the goat skull. If I'm not mistaken the reason for this is that during the well informed middle ages, goats were considered to be possessed, I think it's because the way they acted and sounds they made when in heat. Which is so very wrong, not wishing to go deep into a religious topic, even for Christians goats are considered to be "clean" food, it's permitted to eat them.

Notice how in Doom and Doom II Baron's of Hell, and Hell Knights have goat heads, and well, hooves.

To me MOTU actually has a big Dungeons & Dragons feel to it. Getting it out the of the way, it too had satanic imagery, more obvious so (since it wasn't specifically a kid's toy franchise) with pentagrams and upside down crosses... it's for such things that it got so much negative attention from misinformed media. But more importantly (and all of the following I love) they both have the barbaric aspect, magic, swords, and mysticism.

People always freak out when something is demonic... but they shouldn't if it's the bad guys or antagonists... it's not like you are rooting for satan. Notice how He-Man has a cross on his harness. If the good guys were the ones with satanic imagery I'd understand the overreaction, but really... people have blown stuff out of proportion for years.
    Cool stuff, Romer. Thanks for sharin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    The cross on He-Man's chest armor resembles a Maltese cross, which is based on an ancient Phoenician symbol representing the sun in sun-worshipping religions. The image is commonly used in Masonic lodges as well as by the Royal families of Britain and Europe, who are among the alleged 'Illuminati bloodlines'.

Also the dome on top of Grayskull is typical of Masonic/Illuminati architecture, dome-shaped summits atop buildings are said to conduct feminine moon energy for use in occult practices.

The coiled serpent around Snake Mountain strongly resembles ancient symbolism of a coiled serpent around a mountain, staff or pole, symbolizing ascension from Earth to the stars and used by ancient medical practitioners, now also common in Freemasonry and establishment-run organisations i.e. big business corporations, universities etc.

Keldor's supposed possession by demonic forces channelled via occult practices which subsequently transform him into Skeletor is similar to the alleged channelling/possession of demonic entities by Illuminati officials, believed by some to be inner-terrestrials hidden within the Earth (some allege that Hitler was one such individual possessed by these entities- he certainly believed in channelling and the inner-terrestrial Aryan 'master race').

The Havoc Staff as mentioned before resembles the goat head, a common feature in Satanic ritual practice said to be used by the Illuminati bloodlines.

The theme of the Council of Elders and their 'secrets of the universe' being passed along from generation to generation within the walls of Grayskull whilst being hidden from the outside world strongly resembles the alleged practices of 'secret societies' i.e. the Egyptian Mystery Schools, the Freemasons, the Knight's Templar, the Skull and Bones Society etc., which are said to conceal ancient cosmic energies and occult secrets allowing the highest initiates control over the Earth's energy grid and ultimately mastery over the Earth's mystical forces. Again, Adam's 'channelling' of these mystical forces via the Power Sword to become He-Man also resembles the possession/channelling theme prominent in Illuminati theories.

Finally, the Snake Men, a reptilian race from another dimension who invaded and conquered Eternia and manipulated their way into power, viewing themselves as a kind of 'master race' is very close to the theory that many of the bloodlines of the Illuminati are secretly descended from ancient reptilian races from other galaxies, most specifically the Draco constellation, which are said to have invaded Earth centuries ago and worked their way into positions of power, establishing the ancient empires of Babylon, Egypt and many more, hence the reptilian symbolism such as the coiled serpent. King Hiss being a reptilian who disguises himself as a human via false skin is very like the theory that many of the world's ruling families, most notably the British House of Windsor, are in fact reptilian humanoids who have used energy manipulation to assume human form.

Of course, just how much of this Illuminati business has any grounding in reality and how much is just loopy conspiracy theories (most of it probably the latter) is up for debate, but we can save that talk for the Tar Swamp. A lot of the wackier conspiracy theorists claim that the whole world's media is run by Illuminati agents and that all this symbolism in fantasy and sci-fi franchises such as MOTU is deliberate, to signify control to enlightened members of the Illuminati brotherhood. I'm highly skeptical of that, but either way it's very interesting to read up on the Illuminati theories and see just how many parallels there are within MOTU, coincidental or not!
    Thanks for expanding on that, Mosquitor. That's a lot of really good information; I'd considered the cross pattee and the skull and bones in my original post, but never even thought of the stuff you brought up. The whole idea of the snake surrounding Snake Mountain being some sort of Rod of Asclepius symbol...well, I never even considered that before. Awesome!

Widget
    I love, love, love this type of analysis.
    Allow me to contribute my own thoughts, following a line of philosophy that states a person is best understood by their acquaintances, or in this context, their enemies. I call it The Batman Analysis Theory.

So, The Prince of Man is enlightened and empowered by the feminine aspect spirit and the masculine intellectual aspect known as "Grayskull".
    His enemies are:
    Skeletor, the embodiment of death; occult forces and fear of the unknown.
    Evil-Lyn, a negative female power who courts death, is treacherous and also represents dark occult forces as a sorceress; she is a parallel to Teela/The Goddess, which is the positive, enlightened form.
    Beast-Man, clearly a representative of the bestial and animal part of the subconscious.
    Mer-Man, perhaps a representation of the subconscious realm.
    Tri-Klops, the coldly analytic force which is as much the death of He-Man's power as Beast-Man's wildness.

I've always seen Hordak as a less primal force of evil than Skeletor. Since a horde is a large grouping of beings with a negative connotation, perhaps he represents mob rule; a charismatic leader of popular opinion. Snake people are also a heavily symbolic idea, but beyond the standard Judeo-Christian interpretation, I'm not that familiar. I do know that they have some importance in several cultures as a representation of energetic movement. A snake can represent the flow of Charkra energy, for instance. Coming from ground-up, might imply an escape from a deep realm.

Anyway, fun to think about and take too seriously

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Coffee View Post
    I love, love, love this type of analysis.
    Allow me to contribute my own thoughts, following a line of philosophy that states a person is best understood by their acquaintances, or in this context, their enemies. I call it The Batman Analysis Theory.

So, The Prince of Man is enlightened and empowered by the feminine aspect spirit and the masculine intellectual aspect known as "Grayskull".
    His enemies are:
    Skeletor, the embodiment of death; occult forces and fear of the unknown.
    Evil-Lyn, a negative female power who courts death, is treacherous and also represents dark occult forces as a sorceress; she is a parallel to Teela/The Goddess, which is the positive, enlightened form.
    Beast-Man, clearly a representative of the bestial and animal part of the subconscious.
    Mer-Man, perhaps a representation of the subconscious realm.
    Tri-Klops, the coldly analytic force which is as much the death of He-Man's power as Beast-Man's wildness.

I've always seen Hordak as a less primal force of evil than Skeletor. Since a horde is a large grouping of beings with a negative connotation, perhaps he represents mob rule; a charismatic leader of popular opinion. Snake people are also a heavily symbolic idea, but beyond the standard Judeo-Christian interpretation, I'm not that familiar. I do know that they have some importance in several cultures as a representation of energetic movement. A snake can represent the flow of Charkra energy, for instance. Coming from ground-up, might imply an escape from a deep realm.

Anyway, fun to think about and take too seriously
    Morning Coffee,

Oh, man I love your thoughts on Skeletor and his cronies, and on Hordak. Speaking of the latter, your thoughts on the "large grouping" and "mob rule" kind of reminds of the stories in the Bible - in Matthew, Mark and Luke - about the demons who are "Legion". And Hordak does snort like a pig. Okay, so that may be a bit much.

Going back to the Evil Warriors, though, I've always loved the idea that Tri-Klops had a third eye, and that one of his powers included far sight.

Widget
    For sure. As a kid, I never really believed he was a bad guy until I saw the cartoon. His powers don't associate with evil until he starts blasting things with his "evil eye". Actually, I just had one last thought: something about Tri-Klops strikes me as a little bit masonic as well. Then it hit me: three sides, prominent eye motif. It's the all-seeing eye on the pyramid. Plus he's green.

I wonder if his designer wasn't looking at an American one dollar bill for inspiration.
    Thanks for the thread, btw, and the insight.

Heroic Warrior
    For sure. As a kid, I never really believed he was a bad guy until I saw the cartoon. His powers don't associate with evil until he starts blasting things with his "evil eye". Actually, I just had one last thought: something about Tri-Klops strikes me as a little bit masonic as well. Then it hit me: three sides, prominent eye motif. It's the all-seeing eye on the pyramid. Plus he's green.

I wonder if his designer wasn't looking at an American one dollar bill for inspiration.
    Thanks for the thread, btw, and the insight.
    The designer very well could have been. That would make a lot of sense. I love the all-seeing eye idea!

And you're quite welcome. Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Mer-Man: fish humanoid that controls the sea. This figure is taken directly from Greek and other mythology. Triton was the son of Poseidon in Greek mythology and Enki was the Sumerian god with similar characteristics. The Dogon believe in the Nommo who was also a fish god. The fish gods of ancient cultures had fish heads, which is similar to the mitre headdress worn by priests in the Roman Catholic church.

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone notice how Adam and Adora are pretty immature and soft spoken with child like personalities.
    Their transformation is very sexualized . Both show more skin , their voices mature . Adams, skin becomes darker and Adora,s hair grows longer .
    Adora swops her red tomboy outfit for a strapless tennis dress with a flower design . Adams barbie pink jacket disappears and replaced by strong man underwear and steel harness .

The power of Greyskull is for some reason making the twins very sexually attractive for the complimentary gender . Perhaps its harnessing the power of sexual energy ?
    Last edited by MOLKROM; September 23, 2014 at 07:46pm.

Question; Do you think that when they created the Masters of the Universe back in the early 80s, they knew that when we would grow up as adults, we would still buy Masters of the universe figures?????

I call that mind control...

They created the toyline first and to sell it to the masses they came up with the cartoon, remember, we are the first generation to be exposed to kids commercials and cartoons wich transformed us into super consumers, tell me what you think...

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Martin View Post
    Question; Do you think that when they created the Masters of the Universe back in the early 80s, they knew that when we would grow up as adults, we would still buy Masters of the universe figures?????

I call that mind control...

They created the toyline first and to sell it to the masses they came up with the cartoon, remember, we are the first generation to be exposed to kids commercials and cartoons wich transformed us into super consumers, tell me what you think...
    I highly doubt it. For some reason people that grew up in the 80s get high on nostalgia more than any other generation. It was a amazing toy line, had awesome comics and cartoons and just simply makes most people think back to a simpler and happier time in their life. Im sure they knew they had a hit on their hands...but no idea that in 2014 we as adults would now be spending our own money on motu action figures.

Lord of the Reptilians tampico32's Avatar
    I agree with you, i feet nostalgia in a lot of things in general, not only on MOTU or toys.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdiary27 View Post
    I highly doubt it. For some reason people that grew up in the 80s get high on nostalgia more than any other generation. It was a amazing toy line, had awesome comics and cartoons and just simply makes most people think back to a simpler and happier time in their life. Im sure they knew they had a hit on their hands...but no idea that in 2014 we as adults would now be spending our own money on motu action figures.
    Thank you so much to my partners of He-Man.org for helping me to get MOTUC figures:

My Sell/Buy/Trade Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Ive often thought He-Man's chest piece is mauled from a Templar shield, and that this means that humans may inconsistently travel to Eternia, perhaps unwillingly through strange space portals or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    Anyone notice how Adam and Adora are pretty immature and soft spoken with child like personalities.
    Their transformation is very sexualized . Both show more skin , their voices mature . Adams, skin becomes darker and Adora,s hair grows longer .
    Adora swops her red tomboy outfit for a strapless tennis dress with a flower design . Adams barbie pink jacket disappears and replaced by strong man underwear and steel harness .

The power of Greyskull is for some reason making the twins very sexually attractive for the complimentary gender . Perhaps its harnessing the power of sexual energy ?
    Well, if we go into the Freudian realm on our symbolism journey Adam had "fabulous secret powers revealed" to him the day he took out his phallic symb - *ahem* magic sword, and held it out in the open air as straight and "aloft" as he could.

In She-Ra's opening monologue, notice how she just says "sword," and not "magic sword" (not in love with it as much as Adam is). Also, the fact that She-Ra's sword has the cli - *ahem* round, button-like, "gem" embedded in it at the top of a V-shape (if you look at the Sword of Protection with the point down), you can start to see what's going on there too. Also, look closely at She-Ra's transformation/conception sequence and you will see swirling, white, "cells" of energy with round heads and long tails.

Yes. There's a lot of sexual symbolism to be found in these shows. In a symbolic way, both Adam and Adora go through magical puberty to become more potent (this was more evident with Adam in the 200x cartoon).

- - - Updated - - -

I've always seen Hordak as a less primal force of evil than Skeletor. Since a horde is a large grouping of beings with a negative connotation, perhaps he represents mob rule; a charismatic leader of popular opinion.
    When you take the original concept behind Hordak and the Evil Horde into account, it looks like something else was going on though.

When the toys came out, Hordak, Grizzlor, Mantenna, and Leech represented various horrors. A vampire, a were-beast, an alien freak, and a creature from a black lagoon. Rumours have circulated that the original toys were indeed based off the Universal Monsters. No surprise that Modulok, a mad scientist who is his own Frankenstein-ian creation, joined soon afterward.

Also, there was no She-Ra connection at first. The Evil Horde were a third party on Eternia - a thorn in the sides of both the heroic and the evil warriors. In a way, they represented a deeper, more monstrous evil. Something buried a little deeper in the subconscious Fright Zone of the mind, that acts like an unpredictable force (storywise, they could harm anyone, no matter their affiliation or alignment).

I think your concept of Hordak is tainted by the cartoon, somewhat. If the original Horde idea of the action figures remained, I think they'd have developed quite differently in the canon.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

https://books.google.com/books?id=pa...%20god&f=false Another interesting bit, Orko was the god of thunder in pre-Christian Basque mythology
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic Warrior
    I almost forgot about this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Ive often thought He-Man's chest piece is mauled from a Templar shield, and that this means that humans may inconsistently travel to Eternia, perhaps unwillingly through strange space portals or something.
    This makes a LOT of sense. In my head canon, the Templar cross comes from Adam's Earth heritage. In my head canon Queen Marlena Glenn is a great-granddaughter of the astronaut John Glenn, who was a Freemason. The Freemasons use a lot of Templar symbolism, including the cross pattee.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    https://books.google.com/books?id=pa...%20god&f=false Another interesting bit, Orko was the god of thunder in pre-Christian Basque mythology
    Great find!

This is a really interesting thread. Love the connections one can draw between established/historic religions/beliefs/cosmologies and this very awesome toy and cartoon line. I think artists are pretty great at identifying powerful symbols and appropriating them for cool-looking designs. From what I've learned about the creation of He-Man, it seems to haphazard, or at least too by-committee, to be a secret Templar coded message. But I could certainly see the concepts feeding the story. And it's fun to plug those mythologies into MOTU. Thanks for the fun read and thought-provoking ideas