Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you made a He-Man movie?

Quote Originally Posted by teela-n View Post
    Make the movie Filmationesque. That's what the mass of people, not necessarily hard-core fans, remember and love. That's what made He-man huge in the 80's. The Filmation He-man and She-ra cartoons are still shown today in syndication, not New Adventures or 200X. That's saying something; the He-man and She-ra cartoons are Classics. There are young people today who are He-man and She-ra fans thanks to the re-runs of the Filmation MOTU and POP cartoons. Stop with the updates. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken. Why do hard-core fans keep resisting Filmation?
    No. Just no. As I've said many times before, I grew up on the minicomics, and the first time I saw the cartoon (6 or 7 years old), I was crushed at how wussed out all the characters were made to be. 200x was cancelled because some genius at Mattel over distributed Spin blade He-Man to all the stores; the toys didn't sell, so the show was cancelled. Get out on the web, and you'll see many people (fans and not) lament that fact that the story wasn't finished. The Filmation He-Man set the mythology, but it's the equivalent of the Adam West Batman. Someone needs to step it up like Tim Burton and Nolan did, but this time for MOTU.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by teela-n View Post
    The only widespread, successful, lasting incarnation has been Filmation's He-man and She-ra. It propelled the toys into a cultural phenomenon. They tried to explore the possibilities with the "Masters of the Universe" live-action 1987 movie, "New Adventures", and 200X and they almost killed He-man each time. The only thing that has kept He-man and She-ra alive through all of that are the Filmation He-man and She-ra cartoons playing on TV in syndication to this very day. Stop with the updates; not everything needs to be updated. This is just change for the sake of change.
    I agree with this. The Filmation cartoon is the only reason anyone is considering making a movie. Not all hard core fans are anti-filmation. Some of us are very pro-filmation myself included. With that said they should look to add a few story elements from 200x and Comics such as Keldor and King Grayskul background.

Things the movie absolutely must have:
    - Prince Adam
    - He-Man Transformation sequence "I have the power."
    - Battle Cat / Cringer
    - Orko
    - Teela as a Red-head
    - Man-at-arms with orange suit
    - Skeletor
    - Evil-lyn
    - Tri-clops
    - Trap-jaw

I also believe in having good quality sound effects and music. They need to bring back that Filmation esque "ZAP-POW" sound. The "ZAP-POW" is as important to He-Man as the light saber hum is Star-Wars.

If it were me doing the movies, I'd make a trilogy and use elements from the classic cartoon as well as the 200x. It'd go something like this:

MOTU: Zodac would be the narrator of the film in a sense, and the final battle with Skeletor would be on the horizon. No origin stories or anything like that. You could see inspired artwork going over the basics similar to Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2 opening credits that showed the main points from the first film. Getting into the story, Zodac would assist the heroes in recruiting a little more help and we'd find Man At Arms brother Fisto, Mossman, and we'd be reintroduced to the birdmen of Avalon when they recruit the help of Stratos. This would all be done in about 30 minutes worth of the film, cut to Skeletor readying his forces and checking on Beastman and his creatures, as well as Tri-clops and his inventions and war machines. Cutting back to the heroes we'd find He-Man at Castle Grayskull talking to the sorceress who reveals Teela to be her daughter and asks He-Man to watch over her. Later the team would battle the first of Skeletor's war machines and the heroes would take the fight outside of the walls of Eternia after it erupts into all out battle. The heroes would banish Skeletor with the help of Zodac who passes down a portion of his power to a young man who would become Zodak. All would seem well until a scene cuts back to Snake Mountain. Beastman would be arguing with Evil-lynn over who should lead them when the mountain comes to life and the serpentmen rise. Roll credits.

MOTU 2: I'll flesh this out more later on, but of course the villains in this flick would be King Hiss and his serpentmen. Stratos would go back to Avalon and Buzz Off would be recruited in his place. Fisto would also take leave claiming he had a forest to look after and would be replaced with Ram Man. Roboto would also be introduced. Fisto wouldn't actually appear, he'd only be mentioned by his brother, and Stratos would only be in one scene showing his exit. When serpentmen attack an Eternian outpost the Masters would go into action and learn Snake Mountain has come to life once again because it's true master has risen. He-Man would get new armor [gotta remember these flicks gotta sell toys] and lead a small team behind enemy lines in an attempt to destroy Snake Mountain. If Mattel is against killing off any characters they created, we'd need a new hero in the mix who could die heroically. The good guys would eventually win and after a celebration begins at the Palace of Eternia, the sky would rip open in the distance... and the Horde would arrive.

MOTU 3: This would show every character introduced at this point fighting off the Horde, save for Skeletor and the serpentmen who've all been defeated. The birdmen of Avalon would have several casualties, same as Buzz Off's people, Beastman and his creatures would be seen on the ropes, and I'd go the comic book route of introducing Adora [was that She-Ra's name?] as an agent of Hordak. The war would rage on and He-Man would be tasked by the Sorceress and Zodak to find the second sword of power to turn the tide of battle. Of course this would lead into the villainess becoming She-Ra and remembering who she was, and aiding He-Man and the Masters in defeating Hordak. In a perfect world, the franchise would continue with another film or trilogy revolving around She-Ra.

...and that's all I've got for now. Just off the top of my head.

~TF~

Make a fun move for all ages, not too dumbed down for kids or too hardcore for adults. The original Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are probably good guides for tone IMO.
    Snake Mountain, FINALLY!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    What would you do if you made a He-Man movie?
    I'd put some pants on him first of all.

Then I would tell a story of inequity and injustice. It would be a story of betrayal as the rightful heir to the throne of Eternia is cast aside in favor of his younger brother simply because of the color of his skin and his heritage.

It would be a story of this forgotten prince struggling to regain his kingdom from the pretender to the throne by any means necessary to restore the natural order.

It would a story of unity as the dethroned prince brings other individuals to his cause who have been scorned by this superficial society because of their deformities and outward appearance to form a rag tag team.

It would be a story of loyalty as the young woman wise in the magical arts stands by the dethroned prince despite him being scarred by his own younger brother, the fake king.

It would be a story of perseverance as the battle for the throne rages on into the next generation when the fake king fathers a son who continues to protect the false rule.

It would be a story of battling against all odds when the dethroned prince's nephew is granted near-godlike powers to sustain his father's kingdom of lies.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The movie will definitely take a lot of cues from Filmation, as, like it or not, that is He-Man to an awful lot of people around the world. However, I have serious doubts it will share the tone or even character designs.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd make a "Secret of the Sword 2", another "He-man and She-ra Christmas Special", and a "I have the Honor" music video. I'd pay Bob Forward, JMS and Larry D'tillio to write it. Then I'd get Gwen Wetzler to direct it.

I'd pay Chris Hemsworth whatever I had to as well, because he would be perfect for He-Man. He was told when the first Thor film started filming he got too buff to fit in his suit. Too buff to play a God of Thunder? Let him get as jacked as he wants... then we have our He-Man.

~TF~

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Fist View Post
    I'd pay Chris Hemsworth whatever I had to as well, because he would be perfect for He-Man. He was told when the first Thor film started filming he got too buff to fit in his suit. Too buff to play a God of Thunder? Let him get as jacked as he wants... then we have our He-Man.

~TF~
    Have you seen what Chris Hemsworth looks like lately? He has turned into a scrawny little nothing. It is one of those what could have been things if the movie was made 5 years ago when Hemsworth was still in shape.

http://www.mensxp.com/entertainment/...-jaw-drop.html

At this point Chris Hemsworth would be a terrible choice.

He toned down a lot to play the nerdy secretary for the all female Ghostbusters film coming out soon. Versatile actors shift weight constantly, I remember everyone thought Matthew McConaughey was on hard drugs after filming Magic Mike and then it turned out it was for another movie he was filming. Christian Bale got horrifically skinny for the Machinist and Jake Gyllenhaal did the same for Nightcrawler.

Chris Hemsworth bare chested would draw in more women in the crowds than just about anybody right now. Dude's a hot commodity...

~TF~

Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    He still has to film Thor 3 and Avengers: Infinity War.
    Meh... Thor can always wear extra padded armor to make him look bigger then he really is. Chris Hemsworth just doesn't have the body to play He-Man anymore. He is too small to do He-Man any justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Fist View Post
    He toned down a lot to play the nerdy secretary for the all female Ghostbusters film coming out soon. Versatile actors shift weight constantly, I remember everyone thought Matthew McConaughey was on hard drugs after filming Magic Mike and then it turned out it was for another movie he was filming. Christian Bale got horrifically skinny for the Machinist and Jake Gyllenhaal did the same for Nightcrawler.

Chris Hemsworth bare chested would draw in more women in the crowds than just about anybody right now. Dude's a hot commodity...

~TF~
    True, versatile actors can shift their weight but only to a point. Remember when Brad Pitt was the hottest commodity in Hollywood? He got pretty big for Fight Club (1999) and when he played Achilles in Troy (2004). There was some speculation that Brad Pitt could play He-Man but that train left the station a while ago. As time went on he lost a lot of weight and never gained it back. The point is who is "in" and who is "out" comes and goes. Chris Hemsworth is at this point on his way out. He is transitioning away from action super hero roles into other things.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while. Chris Hemsworth was specifically asked if he would play He-Man and he said NO.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/he-man...ndgrens-a70511

He said no before, but it was out of fear of being typecast as buff blonde superheroes. Remember when RDJ said he wouldn't do more Ironman and now that seems to be changing as well as Chris Evans? Evans was reportedly gonna take a break from acting for awhile but is already trying to renegotiate a deal to do more Marvel movies.

At this point Hemsworth has done more stuff than just Thor and the first five minutes of Star Trek. For the right amount of $ I'm sure he'd reconsider. His Thor may be replaced in the film universe with the female Thor soon if any of the rumors are true, so he'd be 'out' in terms of place in that film franchise. When Marvel/Disney is no longer giving him the millions he's grown accustomed to, he'll be looking for a new franchise to star in and that could very easily be He-Man. He's only 32, he's still got another decade or so in him before he becomes old news.

I'm kinda sad WB/DC couldn't find themselves a Hemsworth for their live action Aquaman. IDK if I like Momoa as a more barbarian looking Aquaman with darker hair and all those tribal tattoos.

~TF~

Heroic Warrior
    seeing that FX technology has come a long way from 1987 which the Live action was filmed(obviously) You can stick Orko and some of the other non human characters and make them look "convincing". The can make Eternia the way it should have been and not shift the whole movie to earth to save money. That always bugged me with the 87 film.

I want the new MOTU movie to be something unique.
    I don't want it to be Star Wars, or Guardians of the Galaxy, as much as I love these films.
    I certainly don't want it to look like the upcoming Warcraft movie.
    If I had the talent and the money to make that movie, I would like to make something more akin to the original Conan, with some influences from Ridley Scott's Legend, John Boorman's Excalibur and Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (come on, we're dealing with the powers of the Universe here!).
    It would feature Adam, Teela, Man-At-Arms and even King Randor and Queen Marlena, but it would be set in a more post-apocalyptic world, like in the early mini comics. A barbaric, medieval-like society born on the ashes of a great civilisation destroyed by thousands of years of war.
    In my movie, Adam would be able to transform into He-Man, like in the Filmation cartoon, but with a twist: little by little, he would lose his Adam personality and become more like his ancestor King Grayskull (a stern and violent warlord in my book). The more he would use the power, the more his innocence and kindness would go away. And that's ultimately what would make the difference between him and Skeletor, so he would have to struggle to stay himself while battling the Lord of Destruction's minions. It would be psychologically very intense.
    Also, I think I would make Keldor initially a good guy, and Randor a more complex character, partly responsible for his brother's fate.

Heroic Warrior
    I would pay ticket to see your MOTU movie

Heroic Warrior
    Eternia is not the post apocalyptic world, of Thundarr the Barbarian, for example where in the year 1994 the moon cracks in half and robots are seen as wizards,, or Korgoth the Barbarian which was a comedic version of this where birds eat the weak and it ends with a joke about intestinal cancer.

Adam is a prince. Eternia is not a joke.

How about a world/society based on true freedom, conservative libertarianism, where high technology supports the efforts of farm villages, where deadly weapons are not imbalanced in the hands of government, so the scene of men with axes and spears is not actually about war incentives and does not imply barbaric culture.

Think about early land settlers that came to America, with guns on their belts, but without the manufacturing set up to make high powered guns. That's the Eternian brightlands that I want to see brought to life.

That is pretty unique. It reminds me of 1959 RawHide, with John Erwin, and Clint Eastwood.
    ..but with magic, actual magic.
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; March 1, 2016 at 04:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTs View Post
    I would pay ticket to see your MOTU movie
    Thanks! That's the first step! Now, I just need to convince the execs at Sony

Heroic Warrior
    Hehehe, good luck I hope new movie'll look more like Filmation and MYP cartoon, but post apocalyptic setting like first mini comics would be awesome too

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Eternia is not the post apocalyptic world, of Thundarr the Barbarian, for example where in the year 1994 the moon cracks in half and robots are seen as wizards,, or Korgoth the Barbarian which was a comedic version of this where birds eat the weak and it ends with a joke about intestinal cancer.

Adam is a prince. Eternia is not a joke.

How about a world/society based on true freedom, conservative libertarianism, where high technology supports the efforts of farm villages, where deadly weapons are not imbalanced in the hands of government, so the scene of men with axes and spears is not actually about war incentives and does not imply barbaric culture.

Think about early land settlers that came to America, with guns on their belts, but without the manufacturing set up to make high powered guns. That's the Eternian brightlands that I want to see brought to life.

That is pretty unique. It reminds me of 1959 RawHide, with John Erwin, and Clint Eastwood.
    ..but with magic, actual magic.
    I find it amazing how we all have different versions of Eternia and the MOTU mythos in our heads. That's what I love about this universe. But personally, I just don't see the Eternia as a promised land threatened by evil forces from the outside. To me, it's a place of danger and long forgotten secrets, where humans have slowly rebuilt a society after centuries of chaos. This would explain the mix of ancient (albeit futuristic) technology and low-tech stuff such as shields, swords, axes, etc.
    A lot of humanoid creatures (mutants and descendants of genetically engineered soldiers from the ancient wars) would have created societies of their own, and be at odds with the "regular" humanity. That's where Keldor would be recruiting his army: among the outcasts, the low-caste beings from the borderlands and dark corners of Eternia. At the beginning, he would have a noble purpose, but ambition and dark magic would get the better of him… and we all know what he would ultimately become.
    In my movie, Adam would admire his lost uncle Keldor. He would also love his parents, but disagree with his father's policy concerning the rights of parahumans. His ultimate goal would be to unite all the sentient beings of Eternia in a peaceful way. But before that, of course, he would have to deal with the actions of a certain skull-faced character obsessed with harnessing the power of the Universe!

Heroic Warrior
    ^ I like that idea. I like it soo much, I think I'll rewatch that series again: Thundercats 2011.

and yes, while we might all have different versions of MOT in our heads based on the various incarnations, the studio will ultimately have to come to ONE definite version of it, at least for the live-action movie version. People will be whining/"female dog"-ing either way, it's human nature.

I know when I sit down and watch the original/reboot version, I see a show that's 90% sword n' sorcery/fantasy with the rest 10% everything else: sci-fi, gonzo camp, afterschool special, 3 stooges slapstick...
    so my version would eat n breath sword n sorcery/epic fantasy first and foremost with the rest being cherries/sprinkles on top.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    I'd be very happy with a live action version of the 200X series or a live action version of the latest comic book run. I'd also be happy with feature length quality, animated movies of either the 200X or DC series.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    ^ I like that idea. I like it soo much, I think I'll rewatch that series again: Thundercats 2011.
    I'm not familiar with the Thundercats reboot (but I used to watch the original as a kid… in my country, it was called “Cosmocats”!). Was the premise of the 2011 show similar to what I wrote?

I'd make a kids movie.

Given the current glut of hero movies being made I would try and do something different to stand out from the crowd, while at the same time remaining true to MOTU by creating movies with epic story lines.

My idea would be to focus on heroes / villains who are not the main protagonists of the different factions and tell a story from their perspective of their life and of their battle for survival. In each movie I would:

• tell a story of the battle for supremacy on Eternia between the forces of good and evil,
    • have an on-going story of one hero and one villain so that you can experience their different perspectives and choose your side / favourite,
    • keep He-Man and She-Ra appearances to important moments so that the stories of the minor hero/villain are not drown out and to give our main heroes their aura of mystical power and near invincibility, and
    • have He-Man and possibly She-Ra show-up at the end to help the minor hero defeat the main villain and save Eternia (and the Universe).

I would also favour a trilogy so that we would get to see the 3 main adversarial factions (i.e. Evil Warriors, Snake Men and Evil Horde) in action in consecutive movies.

Possible heroes / villains and factions for the 3 movies are:
    1. Fisto (Renegade Master) and Tri-Klops (Evil Warrior),
    2. Ram Man (Master) and Rattlor (Snake Men),
    3. Lieutenant Andra (Eternian Guard) and Catra (Evil Horde).
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Given the current glut of hero movies being made I would try and do something different to stand out from the crowd, while at the same time remaining true to MOTU by creating movies with epic story lines.

My idea would be to focus on heroes / villains who are not the main protagonists of the different factions and tell a story from their perspective of their life and of their battle for survival. In each movie I would:

• tell a story of the battle for supremacy on Eternia between the forces of good and evil,
    • have an on-going story of one hero and one villain so that you can experience their different perspectives and choose your side / favourite,
    • keep He-Man and She-Ra appearances to important moments so that the stories of the minor hero/villain are not drown out and to give our main heroes their aura of mystical power and near invincibility, and
    • have He-Man and possibly She-Ra show-up at the end to help the minor hero defeat the main villain and save Eternia (and the Universe).

I would also favour a trilogy so that we would get to see the 3 main adversarial factions (i.e. Evil Warriors, Snake Men and Evil Horde) in action in consecutive movies.

Possible heroes / villains and factions for the 3 movies are:
    1. Fisto (Renegade Master) and Tri-Klops (Evil Warrior),
    2. Ram Man (Master) and Rattlor (Snake Men),
    3. Lieutenant Andra (Eternian Guard) and Catra (Evil Horde).
    So you would have the titular hero of the franchise take the backseat in his own film?