Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 183

Thread: What would you do if you made a He-Man movie?

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    104
    I wouldn't go as far as what Robin Hood is suggesting, but I think it would be a good idea to introduce a new character, an ordinary person with no powers or gimmicks, who experiences the events of the film from the audience's perspective. And make the character a minority female, since the heroes are mostly a bunch of white guys.

  2. #77
    Ally of Hordak Robin Hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    So you would have the titular hero of the franchise take the backseat in his own film?
    I know it is a surprising thing to say, but yes I would have the main hero take a backseat in his own movie.


    He-Man to me is not one of the imperfect heroes you see in movies who seek public acclaim, covet riches or power, are vain or glory seekers, lack competency in civil government, lack foresight, etc. Instead He-Man just does the right-thing when it is needed without fuss or reward then goes back to his day job. He’s a hero who is modest in relation to his power and would absolutely frown upon taking the lead in a movie.


    I would though have He-Man feature prominently in the movie titles as recognition of the key role he plays in keeping the Eternian people safe. He would also have his action scenes as he needs to battle and overcome the forces of evil to save the day. This would allow his power, his warrior expertise, his compassion for people and his civic virtues to be shown. In other words I see He-Man being played not only as a powerful, skilled and valiant warrior, but also as a noble and wise leader, just like the Ancient Roman aristocrat and statesman, Cincinnatus, who selflessly saved Rome and its peoples from the combined attack of hostile tribes.


    He-Man should be the epitome of a hero not only in the eyes of the Masters, the Eternian people and galactic watchers (e.g. Zodac & the cosmic enforcers), but in the eyes of movie watchers too.

    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

  3. #78
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I know it is a surprising thing to say, but yes I would have the main hero take a backseat in his own movie.
    We had that movie in 1987.

  4. #79
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Just an idea:

    How He-Man would work as a 3D animated character in a movie, at the same spirit of "How to train your Dragon" animated film:

    The Artwork is created by Inacarlo Reyes!

    Source:
    http://iconosquare.com/p/1243172414402910336_468145821


  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Just an idea:

    How He-Man would work as a 3D animated character in a movie, at the same spirit of "How to train your Dragon" animated film:

    The Artwork is created by Inacarlo Reyes!

    Source:
    http://iconosquare.com/p/1243172414402910336_468145821

    https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...MzNg%3D%3D.2.l
    I would definitely support an animated MOTU film because it solves some of the problems that are holding up the live action movie.

    - No need to find an actor with muscles, Just a good voice actor is needed.
    - Animation will keep MOTU kid friendly so the torch gets passed to the next generation. (Live action would be more for adults)
    - This means new toy line, and probably a new TV show on top of it
    - Less competition with animated movies. They always do well and can sometimes make as much money as the super hero films.
    Examples: Zootopia, Kung Fu Panda, Minions, Lego Movie, Frozen

  6. #81
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I would definitely support an animated MOTU film because it solves some of the problems that are holding up the live action movie.

    - No need to find an actor with muscles, Just a good voice actor is needed.
    - Animation will keep MOTU kid friendly so the torch gets passed to the next generation. (Live action would be more for adults)
    - This means new toy line, and probably a new TV show on top of it
    - Less competition with animated movies. They always do well and can sometimes make as much money as the super hero films.
    Examples: Zootopia, Kung Fu Panda, Minions, Lego Movie, Frozen
    And there is also another matter, the budget.

    MOTU is a world building franchise, and recreating Eternia as a live action movie (sets, backgrounds, locations etc), in a way that would do it justice, it would require a lot of money, between actors, costumes, special effects etc, something that would be possible, only if the director or the producer had a real passion for the franchise itself, so they could invest time and money for it, in order to have a movie that would not fail (much like Jackson had for the LotR's world). And with Toth Rothman as head of Sony now, i don't believe that he would be so eager to give such budget for a MOTU movie, with the danger to have a repeat of the 87's movie flop. But i believe that a 3D animated MOTU would be easier to get the green light, and move forward in production. Also it would have better chances to be successful, something that could open the way for an actual live action move later on.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 5, 2016 at 11:16am.

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    And there is also another matter, the budget.

    MOTU is a world building franchise, and recreating Eternia as a live action movie (sets, backgrounds, locations etc), in a way that would do it justice, it would require a lot of money, between actors, costumes, special effects etc, something that would be possible, only if the director or the producer had a real passion for the franchise itself, so they could invest time and money for it, in order to have a movie that would not fail (much like Jackson had for the LotR's world). And with Toth Rothman as head of Sony now, i don't believe that he would be so eager to give such budget for a MOTU movie, with the danger to have a repeat of the 87's movie flop. But i believe that a 3D animated MOTU would be easier to get the green light, and move forward in production. Also it would have better chances to be successful, something that could open the way for an actual live action move later on.
    Well I kind of agree with this assessment. However, I would add that no single movie "live action" or otherwise can really be said to be world building. To really do world building right requires a combined effort of TV shows, comics, novels, video games, and movies. I really think the problems are not related to Sony or Tom Rothman because world building is beyond the scope of a single movie. It is up to Mattel to really do the heavy lifting on this. Mattel needs to do more to promote MOTU and not just rely on the movie which at this rate will never get made. This goes back to the discussion in the MOTU novels thread. How come there aren't any books. A good book only costs $100,000 to write and publish compared to hundreds of millions for a movie. This is where the world building really happens and it can be done on the cheap so I don't understand why Mattel doesn't do more. Even a 22 minute animated TV show pilot would be a good idea at this point.

  8. #83
    Ally of Hordak Robin Hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    We had that movie in 1987.
    Not quite.


    In the 1987 live action movie the lead actor played He-Man. I’m saying the lead actor should play someone else such as one of the other Masters or an Eternian Guard. He/She should be the main hero of the movie who battles against the odds and fights the bad guys to save Eternia. The movie plot would be from their perspective (e.g. redemption, revenge, greed, altruism, duty, love, saving family and friends) and include He-Man as he helps out the main hero from time-to-time.


    I would opt for this approach as finding an actor who has all of He-Man’s qualities is going to be hard if not impossible. It might just be too technically and physically demanding role to do well and pull-off for the entire length of a live action movie.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

  9. #84
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    What would i do, if i could make a He-Man movie?

    I would try to convince Chris Hemsworth to rethink his previous position about He-Man and accept the role. For me he is the best man for the job. He has the name to attract the masses and carry the movie, and most important he looks the part more than anyone else.

    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Master...erse-611985604


  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    269
    sure, Hemsworth can work. But does he want it? Does he want to be typecast as the 'barbarian' for the rest of his acting career.
    and even if he accepted it, it doesn't automatically mean box office bucks: clearly it didn't work for The Huntsman: Thor's War

  11. #86
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    sure, Hemsworth can work. But does he want it? Does he want to be typecast as the 'barbarian' for the rest of his acting career.
    and even if he accepted it, it doesn't automatically mean box office bucks: clearly it didn't work for The Huntsman: Thor's War
    All these are big questions. But damn he is indeed the 'barbarian' of our time!

    And of course doesn't mean that casting him will mean instant success, they are a many factors to consider in order for a movie to have a chance, only that i believe that among the current actors, he is closer to how He-Man would look like in flesh and bones, and he is popular enough that he could carry the movie. He is just what would be my personal choice, if it was in my hand to make the movie, for answering the thread's question.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 29, 2016 at 06:39pm.

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    All these are big questions. But damn he is indeed the 'barbarian' of our time!
    I agree Chris Hemsworth is the "barbarian' of our time but that is an image he is trying as hard as he can to break away from. He lost a lot of weight is going for a clean shaven look now. It is the end of an era for him.

    If you want to see the new Chris Hemsworth in action be sure to watch the New Ghostbusters movie.


    Casting Chris Hemsworth as He-Man was a nice movie pitch but it is a pure fantasy pipe dream now. Then again at the rate things are going the whole movie seems to be pure fantasy at this point. The silence coming out of both Sony and Mattel on this movie is deafening.

  13. #88
    Heroic Warrior Turk81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    198
    My script would be something very similar to the storyline of Masters of the Universe - Modern Series, whereby Skeletor was not the "main" villain so to speak. I would like to see the rise of the snakemen (King Hssss, Snakeface Lashor, Rattlor, Kobra, etc)

  14. #89
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    104
    How much longer can Sony keep the movie rights without making the movie?

  15. #90
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Oh and i would authorized Dave Wilkins to do every poster related to the film!

    Dave is the worthy successor of a giant like Earl Norem!

    And i would love him to do a movie poster like the one he did for this year's Power-Con, that brought down Facebook recently! Dave he draws He-Man like he was a real person!

    http://dave-wilkins.deviantart.com/a...2016-612459173


  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    269
    with such gorgeous art like that around, I actually kinda wished they'd go for an animated movie series ala DC's.
    sure, the movie itself won't be exact as the cover, but they never are.
    as long as it keeps MotU alive and relevant, I'd be happy.

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    How much longer can Sony keep the movie rights without making the movie?
    They likely have the movie rights for only a few more years. BUT...

    There is another He-Man that is not owned by either Mattel, Sony, or Filmation called the Ziff-Davis He-Man which has its own copy rights going back to 1952.

    If all else fails it would be interesting to see a movie or new cartoon based on the 1952 He-Man. This is the original, original He-Man. This comic was published near 30 years before Mattel produced their version of He-Man.


    Remember when there were two Ghostbusters in the 1980s. It would be like that. It would the irony of all ironies if another studio came around and ate Mattel's lunch because they let their franchise rot for so long. What if Hollywood gets the movie rights to this comic and makes a different He-Man movie? So much time has past the general public wouldn't even know the difference. THIS could happen.

  18. #93
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    104
    It would be interesting, but not what we've been wanting and waiting for.

    You'd think the company that gave us FIVE Spiderman movies could give us just one MOTU. If it doesn't work, just reboot or sell it. Get the lead out, Sony.

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab. Ca.
    Posts
    1,474
    ....this is the ULTIMATE Hollywood re-write.

    A troubled U.S. soldier sgt.Adam(played by Leonardo DiCaprio), whos sister Adora(played by Jessica Chastain) stays home helping reffugees get to the American freeland, is seen by a galactic overseer Um(voiced by Morgan Freeman) comes to earth and tells Adam that a wizard Skeletor(voiced by Ian McKellen) is building a freeze ray that will irreversably change the climate of Eternia. Adam is taken to GraySkull where the Sorceress(played by Zoe Saldana) gives Adam a sword that can only be used if he gets a micro-chip embedded in his hand, a simple surgry done by ManAtArms(played by the Rock), and Adam meets various heros and bad guys (played by Matt Demon, Ben Affleck, Seth Rogen, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller,,etc), and eventually He-Man and Skeletor fight visiouslly for 13mins but are unable to kill eachother. Adora will be teased for the sequal.


    gee it didn't take long to appease the Warren Buffets of the world.

  20. #95
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    gee it didn't take long to appease the Warren Buffets of the world.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  21. #96
    cow tools chrisbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    ....this is the ULTIMATE Hollywood re-write.

    A troubled U.S. soldier sgt.Adam(played by Leonardo DiCaprio), whos sister Adora(played by Jessica Chastain) stays home helping reffugees get to the American freeland, is seen by a galactic overseer Um(voiced by Morgan Freeman) comes to earth and tells Adam that a wizard Skeletor(voiced by Ian McKellen) is building a freeze ray that will irreversably change the climate of Eternia. Adam is taken to GraySkull where the Sorceress(played by Zoe Saldana) gives Adam a sword that can only be used if he gets a micro-chip embedded in his hand, a simple surgry done by ManAtArms(played by the Rock), and Adam meets various heros and bad guys (played by Matt Demon, Ben Affleck, Seth Rogen, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller,,etc), and eventually He-Man and Skeletor fight visiouslly for 13mins but are unable to kill eachother. Adora will be teased for the sequal.


    gee it didn't take long to appease the Warren Buffets of the world.
    What in the world are you talking about?
    Is not not licking toads

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    269
    ...I'd get Peter Dinklage to co-star.

    yeah, that's right...and give him top billing.

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    905
    I had an idea a while back. It's the basic story we've seen before, slightly altered. Basically, it starts out as Randor and Keldor growing us as Princes, heir to the throne of Eternia. After years go by, it's apparent that Randor is in line as the next King, and Keldor has become withdrawn and obsessed with magic. Eternia isn't a land of technology, it's medieval, closer to the renaissance, where magic exists. Keldor has become a disciple of Hordak, and plots to kill the king, frame Randor, and take the throne for himself. With the death of Miro, Randor is under suspicion, and is almost tried for his murder, when Duncan discovers Keldor's secret. Keldor is banished, and Randor is made king. With the help of Hordak, Keldor raises an army, and marches on the palace. His army is strong enough to breech the walls, and take the castle. Randor is captured, and brought to Keldor. Just as it seems Keldor has won, a mysterious sky craft crashes on the battlefield. Inside, Randor's forces find Marlena and a few others. The survivors use the advanced tech from their ship, and weapons to drive back Keldor's army.

    Marlena and a group head to the castle where Keldor is about to kill Randor. Keldor decides he is going to use an acid based poison to literally melt Randor from the inside out. As Keldor raises the poison over his head, Marlena shoots it from his hand and the bottle bursts. Randor springs free and knocks Keldor to the ground and escapes. Keldor is rushed away in retreat and his forces return to the Dark side of eternia. Marlena and Randor wed, and have 2 children. The tech from the space craft create a new era for Eternia, and the children Adam and Adora grow up to their teens.

    After Keldor's failure, he is disfigured and brought to Hordak, who uses all his powers to resurrect Keldor. Keldor is reborn as Skeletor, and for the next 15 years, he plots his revenge. Hordak promises if Skeletor can gain control of the sword of power, he can regain his form as Keldor, and have more than enough power to defeat Randor. The sword of power was used to banish Hordak, and is sealed away in Greyskull. Skeletor's first act of revenge, kidnap the twins, sacrifice Adam, and give Adora to Hordak.

    Skeletor has his henchmen kidnap the twins, and manages to gain entry into Greyskull, overpowering the sorceress. Skeletor manages to open a gate to Hordak, who in return for Adora, will free the sword of power from it's prison. As Adam faces death as a sacrifice to the sword of power, Adora is pulled into the portal. Adam, in a desperate attempt to save his sister, manages to break free and takes hold of the sword of power. Adam is transformed into He-Man, but is unable to save his sister. After a breif battle with He-man, Skeletor flees once more having lost his chance at obtaining the sword of power, but believing Adam is gone, not knowing he was transformed.

    Once again, Skeletor and his forces seek to take on Randor as planned with tech they obtained from Hordak. As his forces amass, Adam finds himself transformed into He-Man and frees the sorceress, who explains what just happened. The sword of power has given him the strength and power of every warrior that has ever used that sword, and now he has that power. If he chooses to relinquish it, he can, and all that power will return to the sword. Adam realizes what Skeletor is about to do, and heads to try to save his father.

    Skeletor's forces are an even match for Randor, and Skeletor has his magic as an edge over Randor's forces. When it seems Skeletor is about to break through, He-Man arrives. He-man forces his way through Skeletor's hench men until it's the 2 of them in battle. He-man uses the sword of power to break Skeletor's staff, the source of his magic, and Skeletor is once again defeated. He-man reveals himself to Randor as the protector of Eternia, but does not tell him who he is. He-man returns to Greyskull, and asks the sorceress for help in saving his sister Adora, but she tells him she is beyond her grasp. Adam is unsure if he should return his new power to the sword and go home as Adam without his sister in shame for letting her be lost to Hordak, or Stay as He-Man and never return home. The sorceress explains that it will take time for Adam to master the powers of the sword, he will need to gain many allies, and once he is ready, he can retrieve his sister from Hordak, but he shouldn't deprive his father of a son. Adam returns the power to the sword, the sword is sealed once again in Greyskull, and Adam returns home, and tells his parents the fate of Adora at the hands of Skeletor .......In the very end, we see Skeletor repair his staff, and plot his next attack..

  24. #99
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,535
    Here is Latino-Review's take on what they would do:
    http://lrmonline.com/news/fantasy-fr...f-the-universe

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Here is Latino-Review's take on what they would do:
    http://lrmonline.com/news/fantasy-fr...f-the-universe
    He-Man as clerk on Earth? No thanks. After the fiasco of the first movie, the only modern Earth reference i would like to see in a MOTU film would be Marlen Glenn, and that's it. This pitch sounds exactly like the plot from Jupiter ascending (which was a massive flop), and nothing like the Masters of the Universe. And this Adam's story is completely different from any other He-Man story done so far (except that pitch for the MOTU sequel, in which He-Man was going to be a surfer in disguise in US, and thank God that didn't happen). The first movie should try to introduce and build the world of Eternia first of all. Apart from Marlena, anything else Earth related should be left out (at least for a possible first trilogy). It's something that the largest part of MOTU fans agree upon, when it comes to the MOTU movie. And the cast choices are not the best either. I don't understand why is so hard to do a good Sword and Planet movie?
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 10, 2017 at 07:34pm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •