Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you made a He-Man movie?

Heroic Warrior
    The Pitch:
    Our unified vision for this Masters of The Universe film is for it to be more comedic and tongue-in-cheek in its approach.
    Stopped here.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I don't understand why is so hard to do a good Sword and Planet movie?
    Maybe it's not that is hard, maybe it's because that type of genre, for the most part, just isn't an audience grabber.
    John Carter, the originator of the genre, bombed.
    Gods of Egypt, a worthy successor in my opinion, bombed as well.

One could consider the Thor movies as Sword and Planet, but those had the Marvel name and 'shared universe' for cushioning.

Sword and Planet, with its pulp attitudes toward sex and race...yeah, not a grabber in today's world.

Me...I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    Stopped here.
    Me...I continued on.
    And thought it was hilarious.
    Last edited by tnktrk; February 11, 2017 at 11:12pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Maybe it's not that is hard, maybe it's because that type of genre, for the most part, just isn't an audience grabber.
    John Carter, the originator of the genre, bombed.
    Gods of Egypt, a worthy successor in my opinion, bombed as well.

One could consider the Thor movies as Sword and Planet, but those had the Marvel name and 'shared universe' for cushioning.

Sword and Planet, with its pulp attitudes toward sex and race...yeah, not a grabber in today's world.

Me...I love them.
    The Gods of Egypt was a one of my two favorite movies from the last year (the other was the Legend of Tarzan, perhaps the best Tarzan cinematic adaptation since Greystoke). I felt really bad that both didn't do well, because both have been better in my opinion, than many cape movies that came out during this period.

I agree that unfortunately the Fantasy with its various sub-genres (Sword and Planet, Sword/Sorcery, classic Mythology, High Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, Fantasy/Sci-fi) are not very popular nowdays, unless are connected with cape movies like Thor. Personally i find myself suffering from superhero movies's fatigue, but i admit i' m the exception.

Returning to MOTU, i would like to point out that having another MOTU movie taking place on Earth and worse with He-Man being a clerck as the article suggested, is a huge departure from any kind of MOTU related mythos, created so far. Kind like creating a completely different character.
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 11, 2017 at 11:33pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The Lego He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Movie.

lego heman.jpg

I agree that unfortunately the Fantasy with its various sub-genres (Sword and Planet, Sword/Sorcery, classic Mythology, High Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, Fantasy/Sci-fi) are not very popular nowdays, unless are connected with cape movies like Thor. Personally i find myself suffering from superhero movie fatigue, but i admit i'm the exception.
    You are not alone, GRANAMYR....I am a huuuge SuperHero fan, but I am definitely experiencing movie fatigue.

Personally, I love the Sword and Planet genre, and my love for it continues to grow. As you said, it just isn't popular nowadays. Removing 'OF MARS' was a gigantic marketing blunder on Disney's part with JOHN CARTER, but sadly, it probably wouldn't have done any better even with the correct title.

These days, the idea of muscular, scantily clad heroes and villains armed with swords and riding strange creatures is just silly. I blame Reality TV and Political Correctness for changing attitudes and people now wanting Space Fantasy to be more....sigh....realistic. God forbid something not be 'grounded' anymore. Everything has to be believable, possible, toned down, and just more probable.

Ugh!!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 14, 2017 at 05:38pm.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    You are not alone, GRANAMYR....I am a huuuge SuperHero fan, but I am definitely experiencing movie fatigue.

Personally, I love the Sword and Planet genre, and my love for it continues to grow. As you said, it just isn't popular nowadays. Removing 'OF MARS' was a gigantic marketing blunder on Disney's part with JOHN CARTER, but sadly, it probably wouldn't have done any better even with the correct title.

These days, the idea of muscular, scantily clad heroes and villains armed with swords and riding strange creatures is just silly. I blame Reality TV and Political Correctness for changing attitudes and people now wanting Space Fantasy to be more....sigh....realistic. God forbid something not be 'grounded' anymore. Everything has to be believable, possible, toned down, and just more probable.

Ugh!!
    This is a great post!

I would like to add the comment of one of my favorite 80's actors Billy "Gwildor" Barty, who was part not only part of the Masters of the Universe, but also of another awesome Fantasy movie, Willow. Billy said for the Masters of the Universe:

"We need pictures like this one,"
    "We're bombarded with so much reality in our everyday lives that it has destroyed our urge to dream. Fantasies like Masters of the Universe spark imaginations and encourage people to dream again."

I believe that Billy said it all with this comment...

Source:
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/m...-worldbuilding

I tend to think these girl power movies have been over done. As others have pointed out female superheroes have been around for over 30 years. These are not groundbreaking movies. I remember Wonder Woman being a live action TV show in the early 80s.

What hasn't been done before is a GAY superhero. This is of course is extremely risky. Marvel made Iceman gay in the comics back in 2015 but this has not yet been translated onto film. He-Man may or may not be the right choice to be the first to break that glass ceiling. As I said it is risky. It could be rejected by the public. On the other hand He-Man has been speculated as being gay or bisexual since the 80s. Nobody would really be surprised by it. Might as well just run with that idea and embrace the latent homosexuality throughout the series. Maybe it is time for He-Man to finally come out of the closet.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I tend to think these girl power movies have been over done. As others have pointed out female superheroes have been around for over 30 years. These are not groundbreaking movies. I remember Wonder Woman being a live action TV show in the early 80s.

What hasn't been done before is a GAY superhero. This is of course is extremely risky. Marvel made Iceman gay in the comics back in 2015 but this has not yet been translated onto film. He-Man may or may not be the right choice to be the first to break that glass ceiling. As I said it is risky. It could be rejected by the public. On the other hand He-Man has been speculated as being gay or bisexual since the 80s. Nobody would really be surprised by it. Might as well just run with that idea and embrace the latent homosexuality throughout the series. Maybe it is time for He-Man to finally come out of the closet.
    First, He-Man was not, neither implied to be gay or bisexual. From the mini comics to the animated series, in every Era, He-Man had various female companies. He also often depicted as womanizer and a playboy type character. And since the 80's, it was established his relationship with Teela. And even in the Filmation cartoon, this was very clear, throught the various stories.

Second forcing and changing the character's background, for any political agenda or movement, it's lazy, and it will simply condamn the character and the entire franchise with him, turning the whole project to a parody or a fiasco.

And third in a Fantasy movie, that many want to be for all ages, that has the ambition to sell action figures for Mattel, this will only do a disservice. Or i have to remind the damage that this meme did, through these decades to He-Man and MOTU.

There are gay super hero characters that have been created, established and developed as such, like Midnighter and Apollo. Any studio can try to bring them easily at the big screen, if they want to without changing other characters's sexuality and 30 years background story.

As for the Iceman's case it did more damage than good. Before the current relaunch, the highest selling X-Men books have been out of Top 50, and this for a franchise that was among the best sellers of Marvel it's a really bad performance, perhaps the worst in decades. And their most recent crossover event didn't do very well either.
    Last edited by granamyr80; April 6, 2017 at 08:06am.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I would prefer that identity politics be left out of all forms of entertainment, including He-Man. It was never implied by anyone, anywhere, that He-Man was gay or had homosexual tendencies. It might have been inferred from some viewers, such as perhaps yourself, but overall I find inference to be a poor substitute for facts.

No SJW junk in He-Man for me, thanks.

Here's my take on the problem:

The Sword and Sorcery genre is no longer popular with the masses. The 80s are long gone. The challenge is to make a movie about muscular, half naked, brightly colored characters with ridiculous names armed with swords and axes, but without much or even any bloodshed, and make it appeal to people who have never heard of MOTU. The movie isn't for us, because we are a very tiny minority.

Sure, they could serious-it-up and try to make it like LORD OF THE RINGS, but that's not really what MOTU is about. It should be exciting, filled with adventure and derring-do, and yet have elements of fun and humor. There's a perfect balance to achieve, but can it be done?
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 6, 2017 at 12:03pm.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Here's my take on the problem:

The Sword and Sorcery genre is no longer popular with the masses. The 80s are long gone. The challenge is to make a movie about muscular, half naked, brightly colored characters with ridiculous names armed with swords and axes, but without much or even any bloodshed, and make it appeal to people who have never heard of MOTU. The movie isn't for us, because we are a very tiny minority.

Sure, they could serious-it-up and try to make it like LORD OF THE RINGS, but that's not really what MOTU is about. It should be exciting, filled with adventure and derring-do, and yet have elements of fun and humor. There's a perfect balance to achieve, but can it be done?
    Every super hero name is ridiculous as well if not more. Do you really believe that names like Captain America, Batman, Catwoman, Spider-Man, or Rhino, or Wonder Woman are more serious than MOTU's? Come on. Or are their appearances more serious? I mean watching a couple of adults dressing in Halloween costumes in the middle of a modern city is it consider serious? But they are marketed, writen, developed as such, bypassing the obvious ridiculousness of the whole concept. At least MOTU has the excuse to be an alien civilization, a Fantasy based world, so their names could be considered weird to strangers. The cape characters what excuse they have, to dress like clowns? In my opinion, is how you develop a concept, and not the names and appearances. If treated with respect and try to develop the characters, ignoring the names etc, by creating a good story and a decent mythology with them, then names and looks become secondary.

As for the tone or the balance of the story, the 2002 MOTU was and still remains a good set up. Even a mediocre writer with a bit of immagination and creativity, can take this Era, as main point of reference and develop it further. Chris Yost that wrote a successful movie like Thor the Dark World, which could be used as a reference for MOTU as well, he was a good choice. I have no idea why they went through another rewrite afterwards.

For me the main problem is not the script for MOTU, but the budget. In order to do MOTU justice, it's necessary a budget of certain proportions, because it's necessary to recreate an entire world. This was one of the main reasons, among others of course, that the 87's movie flopped. Because of small budget, the movie couldn't recreate Eternia, and it was forced to take place in large part on Earth for financial reasons. The current problem with MOTU it's more or less the same. Devon may have the best intentions, and i' m sure that he has, but with Rothman at Sony. and his policy about the movies's budget, especially the so called blockbusters, doesn't fit well with the production of a movie like MOTU.
    Last edited by granamyr80; April 6, 2017 at 12:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I want a He-Man that uses his sword as a sword is supposed to be used: hack and slash and appendage dismemberment and not as a skinny shield. I want a MotU that embraces its sword and sorcery/planet heritage, and that means sometimes indulging in some not so "PC" shenanigans; none of this socially conscious SJW poo.

For Grayskull's sake, you had half naked, steroid muscular men and sexy, curvaceous ladies on a planet where the "elites" had access to both high tech and magick and the common pleebs still farmed with primitive tools and lived in 'hovels'.

And Skeletor was mad cause Crackers the clown refused to bring the circus to Snake Mountain?

That's why 30+ years later, Thundarr holds up beautifully and He-Man 83 is nostalgic.

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe it is time for He-Man to finally come out of the closet
    I'd totally be down with a Teela & Adora romance. Or Evil-Lyn & Catra.
    Last edited by Kelgaard; April 8, 2017 at 09:31am.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd totally be down with a Teela & Adora romance. Or Evil-Lyn & Catra.
    Both Teela and Adora have established relationships with Adam and Seahawk respectively. So it's non sense, to try to change something that has been already built through various canons, and storylines. Try to introduce new characters, instead of change those already established.

But apart from that, the last thing that MOTU needs is to turn at another "battlefield", ruled by the current political paranoia or to be watched like some kind of "fan fiction". MOTU is a Fantasy and action Universe. The whole "sexuality" argument was never really part of the franchise, and better this way. MOTU is a nostalgic property, and it was part of the childhood of an entire generation, so it doesn't need to be infected with this non sense, for make it work. Especially if you want to target younger generations and sell action figures to them. Otherwise the movie will create more dust, than substance. And perhaps it would be better, if it never get made, instead of getting down in the "mud" of the political "agendas" and propaganda.

Anyway, Screen Rant posted an article two days ago, supporting the same idea that was posted in other threads, that Masters of the Universe and the Thundercats are two franchises that could work well as a cinematic shared Universe (MTCU). And certainly they could create much more hype, than each franchise seperately. Starting from the single movies and heading towards to the crossover one, much like Marvel did with the Avengers. I agree with the article and i believe that maybe this is the best way to reintroduce them both in the big screen. Besides this is the way that every franchise works now. From Marvel and DC to Hasbro and Godzilla/King Kong:

http://screenrant.com/thundercats-ma...action-movies/

Last edited by granamyr80; April 8, 2017 at 11:21am.

Heroic Warrior
    So it's non sense, to try to change something that has been already built through various canons
    That's how I felt when Prince Adam was introduced, but I guess I have to live with that eh?

For the record, I don't want a gay He-Man, but I think people should be able discuss an alternate approach to a totally fictional character without folks jumping up and crying about "SJW" and "politics". That's crap.

Heroic Warrior
    That's how I felt when Prince Adam was introduced, but I guess I have to live with that eh?

For the record, I don't want a gay He-Man, but I think people should be able discuss an alternate approach to a totally fictional character without folks jumping up and crying about "SJW" and "politics". That's crap.
    Alternate approach is not for a movie, but for a "what if" scenario. When MOTU has to be established first as mythos, alternate approach doesn't fit in. Did Marvel try to change Cap or Thor or Stark's sexuality in the MCU movies? Did DC try to do the same with Batman or Wonder Woman in the DCEU? No, because they are characters with an already established history.

If you try to change the character's already established history, then yes it's pretty obvious and inevitable, that this change will be associated with the current political agendas, deviating completely the attention from the movie itself. There are already established characters like Midnighter or Batwoman, that Hollywood could bring in the big screen if they really want to.
    Last edited by granamyr80; April 8, 2017 at 12:00pm.

dc52 comic tried to update lobo as it was felt a big, hairy, drunken, psychotic, heavy metal, biker of a brick outhouse was out of date and didn't fit in todays age.
    result thin, metrosexual, emo lobo which tanked spectacularly and resulted in the reinstatement of "proper" lobo.

best not to mess too much with the existing formula but little easter egg type nods and winks to stuff in the back ground will be appreciated by those who look for it.

marique in the most recent conan film exemplified this wonderfully with the way she was played.

and holtzmann in the recent ghostbusters another good example.
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No wrestlers. AT ALL. Asylum isnít making this film. I'm sure Sony wants a franchise and for the film to be taken seriously. There are exceptions (Dwayne Johnson, Dave Bautista), but for the most part having wrestlers as main characters instantly relegates your film to the level of parody, IMO. And, Iím sorry, itís just not a physical look I dig. I want He-Man to be able to successfully swing a sword, not to look like heís stampeding around holding roles of invisible carpet under each arm.
    Since when does He-Man swing his sword as a weapon? For the most part He-Man only uses the power sword to block energy blasts. The power sword is rarely if ever used as a weapon. The ONLY time I ever recall He-Man really using the sword is when he killed Superman in that one comic book. He-Man has a sword but he is not a sword fighter.

The He-Man I know mostly fights bare handed because he is strong enough to pick up a tank and throw it a mile. I don't want to see sword fighting. Any wimp can swing a sword, I want to see feats to strength. I want to see He-Man bend bars, smash walls with his fists, and crush "Tramsformer" sized robots like they are tin cans. That is what makes He-Man... He-Man. NO Sword fighting please. Do He-Man right this time.

This isn't the WWE but it is of the same vein.
    Last edited by InThe80s; May 13, 2017 at 07:53pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Since when does He-Man swing his sword as a weapon?
    With the exception of Filmation and New Adventures, basically in every other canon or other version of the MOTU Multiverse, he used his sword and his axe as weapons in battle, in several occasions (mini comics, 82's comic mini series, 87's movie, 200X cartoon and MVC comics, Classics mini comics, modern DC MOTU and He-Man/Thundercats crossover) . He-Man is a warrior, and he was trained as a warrior all his life. That's how Skeletor referred to him in the 87's film, as a "proud warrior".

Last edited by granamyr80; May 13, 2017 at 10:54pm.

With the exception of Filmation and New Adventures, basically in every other canon or other version of the MOTU Multiverse, he used his sword and his axe as weapons in battle, in several occasions (mini comics, 82's comic mini series, 87's movie, 200X cartoon and MVC comics, modern DC MOTU and He-Man/Thundercats crossover) . He-Man is a warrior, and he was trained as a warrior all his life. That's how Skeletor referred to him in the 87's film, as a "proud warrior".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ceERPc3pyw&t=86s
    The so called "Final battle" at the end of the 87 movie is possibly one of the worst examples of sword fighting in any movie. There is a reason I say don't let He-Man swing a sword. It comes across as completely anti-heroic. There is a right way to do He-Man and wrong way. This is the wrong way.

Heroic Warrior
    The so called "Final battle" at the end of the 87 movie is possibly one of the worst examples of sword fighting in any movie. There is a reason I say don't let He-Man swing a sword. It comes across as completely anti-heroic. There is a right way to do He-Man and wrong way. This is the wrong way.
    I believe that was not anti-heroic at all, the way that the fight was handled in the 87's movie. The sword fight may not good as choregraphy, it makes the point that it was a crucial battle for the fate of Eternia and the entire Universe. He-Man did what was possible to not arrive at the final act. He broke Skeletor's Staff at first and then he spared Skeletor giving him the chance to surrender. You can see He-Man low his sword after Skeletor turned from his god mode, and he told that "it's over". Skeletor took his own sword and continue the battle. It was his choice. And at the end it's not that He-Man stab him or anything like that. Skeletor's fall was an accident, during the sword fight.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 13, 2017 at 09:09pm.

I believe that was not anti-heroic at all, the way that the fight was handled in the 87's movie. The sword fight may not good as choregraphy, it makes the point that it was a crucial battle for the fate of Eternia and the entire Universe. He-Man did what was possible to not arrive at the final act. He broke Skeletor's Staff at first and then he spared Skeletor giving him the chance to surrender. You can see He-Man low his sword after Skeletor turned from his god mode, and he told that "it's over". Skeletor took his own sword and continue the battle. It was his choice. And at the end it's not that He-Man stab him or anything like that. Skeletor's fall was an accident, during the sword fight.
    It still would have been better if he broke the staff with his bare hands. There is nothing in the scene that conveys He-Man's great strength. He looks just like a regular mortal fighting like that. If He-Man is fighting "Godzilla" maybe the using power sword is appropriate. This isn't Lord of the Ring or Game of Thrones. There shouldn't be any sword fighting in a He-Man movie because that is what feats of the strength is what He-Man is known for.

Heroic Warrior
    It still would have been better if he broke the staff with his bare hands. There is nothing in the scene that conveys He-Man's great strength. He looks just like a regular mortal fighting like that. If He-Man is fighting "Godzilla" maybe the using power sword is appropriate. This isn't Lord of the Ring or Game of Thrones. There shouldn't be any sword fighting in a He-Man movie because that is what feats of the strength is what He-Man is known for.
    Masters of the Universe is not just about He-Man or his strength. And it's not a wrestling fake competition. It's a fictional, a Fantasy Universe, about the most powerful magic and sorcery that ever existed. And against a sorcerer like Skeletor who has just become a god, bare hands can do nothing, no matter the physical strength. He-Man is not a wizard. A poweful wizard like Skeletor, perhaps the most powerful wizard ever created, could destroy He-Man without even be able to touch him. So when He-Man's strength is out of equation, he has to rely on his skills and his cunning as a warrior and swordsman. And a magical weapon like the Havoc Staff could be broken only by another powerful magical weapon like the Power Sword. The final sword fight was inevitable, because it's not just He-Man and Skeletor, it's the clash of two powerful magical artifacts and weapons. It couldn't be that the fate of an entire magical world would have been decided by a wrestling brawl. And Fantasy is not just LotR or GoT like many they love to generalize, forgetting about everything else. Fantasy are many franchises, a lot of them for all ages. Krull, Legend, Willow, Warlords of Mars, Dungeons and Dragons, Clash of the Titans etc. Heck even Peter Pan one of the most classic childhood heroes is Fantasy. Is Peter Pan anti-heroic because he fights with his dagger against Captain Hook's sword and madness? Not of course. The same with He-Man. He is a warrior. And when it needs to, the Sword of Power will clash against Skeletor's Staff, or the other half of the Power Sword, depending from the canon. Anyway better not derail further the thread, since this is about proposing casting choices.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 14, 2017 at 07:56am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No wrestlers. AT ALL. Asylum isn’t making this film.
    Not the Official MotU movie, no; but you know they'll make, if they're not already making, their mockbuster version of it...with wrestlers.
    And I'll see it.

g80 gets my standing ovation....yahhhhhhh....over the last couple of posts.

Swords are for swinging.
    Last edited by tnktrk; May 14, 2017 at 01:16pm.

Masters of the Universe is not just about He-Man or his strength. And it's not a wrestling fake competition. It's a fictional, a Fantasy Universe, about the most powerful magic and sorcery that ever existed. And against a sorcerer like Skeletor who has just become a god, bare hands can do nothing, no matter the physical strength. He-Man is not a wizard. A poweful wizard like Skeletor, perhaps the most powerful wizard ever created, could destroy He-Man without even be able to touch him. So when He-Man's strength is out of equation, he has to rely on his skills and his cunning as a warrior and swordsman. And a magical weapon like the Havoc Staff could be broken only by another powerful magical weapon like the Power Sword. The final sword fight was inevitable, because it's not just He-Man and Skeletor, it's the clash of two powerful magical artifacts and weapons. It couldn't be that the fate of an entire magical world would have been decided by a wrestling brawl. And Fantasy is not just LotR or GoT like many they love to generalize, forgetting about everything else. Fantasy are many franchises, a lot of them for all ages. Krull, Legend, Willow, Warlords of Mars, Dungeons and Dragons, Clash of the Titans etc. Heck even Peter Pan one of the most classic childhood heroes is Fantasy. Is Peter Pan anti-heroic because he fights with his dagger against Captain Hook's sword and madness? Not of course. The same with He-Man. He is a warrior. And when it needs to, the Sword of Power will clash against Skeletor's Staff, or the other half of the Power Sword, depending from the canon. Anyway better not derail further the thread, since this is about proposing casting choices.
    Depending on the canon it says that Grayskull's sword is nothing and that "the power" comes from within.

In early comics and it explains He-Man's most powerful attack is the "Thunder Punch" which has nothing to with using the sword.