Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What would you do if you made a He-Man movie?

I'm concerned because we're not hearing much about it. Even in early stages we should still be getting some kind of info other then they're working on it.

This could go in a lot of different directions and still be a good movie so I don't have a lot to say at the moment. I know these characters very well and in terms of the look of the characters I believe the men all need to be muscular and the women need to be in shape. There shouldn't be an scrawny characters unless the character calls for it. They could do away with any loin cloths. I'm sure costume designers can come up with a better idea and still be true to the character. Beast Man shouldn't be a moron like in the cartoon. Orko should obviously be the comedic part of the movie but he doesn't have to be goofy all the time. A back story would be cool to set us up. I also think it should be a trilogy and at some point throughout the trilogy, they introduce all the characters. They don't all have to have big parts but at least make an appearance. If they get this right, it'll do so well at the box office.
    Last edited by Palazzolor; November 28, 2018 at 01:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    I had a thought that I haven't seen floated anywhere yet, forgive me if it's already been discussed. How would the fan base feel if a MOTU movie was done in a similar style to The Lego Movie? By that I mean, if the whole movie played out as if the action figures were the characters. You could get all the old vehicles and playsets involved, some fun nods to old play features, and easily bring in all the characters. It could be fun and light, action-packed and funny, nostalgic for us old fans and accessible enough for kids. Easy marketing for a new or redone toy line based on the vintage. And no horrible casting mishaps or design departures, at least as far as the basic visuals were concerned.

This type of movie would not have to preclude an eventual live-action Masters movie either. The Lego Batman Movie and the Justice League movie will both exist, possibly even benefitting each other in the long run in terms of mainstream exposure. Thoughts?

Then it's just Robot Chicken.

I would hope a MOTU movie to be made as either

a) straight-up adult, brutal, gory ala Conan or something -- which I acknowledge seems highly unlikely/unmarketable to audiences today.
    b) akin to Guardians of the Galaxy (or even Thor: Ragnarok) in the sense of having high production value for the out-there aspects, being adapted for "general audience" appeal without losing the essence of the source material, etc. A mix of "serious" and light-hearted, humor and action, etc. Basically, apply the Marvel formula (and budget) for cosmic-weird, but to science-fantasy, sword & sorcery as suits MOTU.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    I would hope a MOTU movie to be made as either

a) straight-up adult, brutal, gory ala Conan or something -- which I acknowledge seems highly unlikely/unmarketable to audiences today.
    b) akin to Guardians of the Galaxy (or even Thor: Ragnarok) in the sense of having high production value for the out-there aspects, being adapted for "general audience" appeal without losing the essence of the source material, etc. A mix of "serious" and light-hearted, humor and action, etc. Basically, apply the Marvel formula (and budget) for cosmic-weird, but to science-fantasy, sword & sorcery as suits MOTU.
    The answer is definitely B. Guardians and Ragnarok get thrown around a lot as templates and for good reason. It's what would work. The gory, gritty, dark would only appeal to a small number and though they may be a die hard group, it simply won't generate the numbers needed. You certainly can't market a toy line off gritty and gory; in the end, you gotta remember, He-Man is for kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some basic ground rules:

1. Stay true to source material. I'm starting with the obvious. Make a unique story and tweek some things but keep it true. By the same token, don't just copy story lines from the past. There are already inconsistencies between all the comics and TV shows; take elements from them but a straight copy is boring and lazy.

2. Don't over power He-Man or any character for that matter. Don't over power the magical or technological elements either. Everything has to have a limit to its abilities (and not just out of convenience). You can't have He-Man as big and bulky as he was in the figure and cartoon; it just won't translate to live action well (unless you're making a parody), but he is buff and in shape.

3. Keep out political correctness and the SJWs! I can see it now, He-Man will be a trans-gender, mixed race character, She-Ra will be fat so as not to body shame little girls, and Teela will be a Mary Sue, absolutely perfect and excellent at everything she does with little training and she has no flaws or weaknesses. That's a sure fire method to have this project crash and burn before take off. People are just going to have to deal with the fact that He-Man and She-Ra are white, blonde, and physical specimens (among other things).

4. Keep it PG. I know a lot of old fans would like to see a "gritty" film but that's just not the way to go. Look at the DCU; they aren't doing well with that approach. Chris Nolan's Batman is the exception, not the rule. I suppose you would get a cult following but that approach just doesn't bring in the masses needed for real success. Also, what kinda MotU film is it, if you can't take your kids? It should be true to the source material to please us old fans that remember the '80s and appropriate for us to take our kids and introduce them and a whole new generation to MotU. The film can't take itself too seriously; look at some of the characters for crying out loud! It's got to be self aware and just light hearted enough to be a family appropriate action/adventure. As I've mentioned, you can't support a toy line based off an R rated picture. Thor: Ragnarok is a perfect style template for MotU.

I actually had a really good idea how they could pull this off. You start the movie in a game of thrones type setting, with Keldor holding Randor hostage as Keldor's army of beast men attack outside the kingdom walls. As the battle turns for the worst, and Randor's men retreat, Marlena's spacecraft crash lands on the battlefield, wiping out 2/3 of Keldor's army and turns the tide of the battle. Randor's troops save Marlena and her crew, who join the battle with their advanced tech. Marlena saves Randor and mortally wounds Keldor. Keldor is whisked away by Evilyn back to Snake Mountain where he dies. You find out Hordak is Keldor's mentor and behind the siege. Hordak is banished on Despondos and is trying to return to Eternia. Hordak remotely unveils advanced tech hidden in Snake mountain and uses it to revive Keldor as Skeletor. Marlena and Randor marry. Act one complete.

This would explain the sudden development of technology on Eternia. I felt like Duncan could be part of Marlena's crew, that's why he's able to create the machines. You incorporate armorers helping build the machines, and they're incorporating gargoyles and beast motifs on the vehicles

Thinking out loud.... I'm sure there's plenty of ways of accomplishing a good story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I actually had a really good idea how they could pull this off. You start the movie in a game of thrones type setting, with Keldor holding Randor hostage as Keldor's army of beast men attack outside the kingdom walls. As the battle turns for the worst, and Randor's men retreat, Marlena's spacecraft crash lands on the battlefield, wiping out 2/3 of Keldor's army and turns the tide of the battle. Randor's troops save Marlena and her crew, who join the battle with their advanced tech. Marlena saves Randor and mortally wounds Keldor. Keldor is whisked away by Evilyn back to Snake Mountain where he dies. You find out Hordak is Keldor's mentor and behind the siege. Hordak is banished on Despondos and is trying to return to Eternia. Hordak remotely unveils advanced tech hidden in Snake mountain and uses it to revive Keldor as Skeletor. Marlena and Randor marry. Act one complete.

This would explain the sudden development of technology on Eternia. I felt like Duncan could be part of Marlena's crew, that's why he's able to create the machines. You incorporate armorers helping build the machines, and they're incorporating gargoyles and beast motifs on the vehicles

Thinking out loud.... I'm sure there's plenty of ways of accomplishing a good story.

So a He-Man movie with no He-Man in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    So a He-Man movie with no He-Man in it?
    No, act 2 would be 20 years later after the twins are born and they're teens, and Skeletor takes them hostage. Hordak wants them both sent to him on Despondos where he's stuck. There are warp gates on Eternia that were used to banish enemies on a one way trip back to their home world. Hordak was sent home after being defeated but can't make it back to Eternia without using secrets hidden in Greyskull. Hordak hopes by taking the twins to Despondos, Randor will agree to use his armies to breach Greyskull and bring back his children, opening the door for the return of Hordak. Skeletor kidnaps the children but only sends Adora. Randor, distraught, sacrifices his children and refuses to take part in the plan. Skeletor keeps Adam as a bargaining chip for himself. Adam escapes with help from cringer, but only knows that Greyskull holds the key to saving his sister. He makes way to Greyskull as Skeletor readies his army for another attack on Randor. Skeletor knows he needs all of Eternia under his control before he'll be able to breach Greyskull. While Skeletor's forces march, Adam makes his way to Greyskull, where he is allowed in by the Sorceress. Adam pleads with the Sorceress for help in saving his sister. She gives him the Power sword and explains, if he accepts the responsibility of becoming Eternia's guardian, she will help return Adora. Becoming Eternia's guardian will transform Adam into He-man. He will cease to be prince, until all evil has been defeated. Adam accepts and takes the sword and transforms into He-man and moves the intercept Skeletor. As the battle rages, He-man and Battle cat appear and he confronts Skeletor. After Skeletor is defeated in a violent explosion of energy, the battle is over. Man-at-arms searches the battlefield for survivors, and finds Adam unconscious holding the power sword. Orko hides the sword in a magic bag, and Man-at-arms brings Adam back to the palace. Skeletor is retrieved by Evilyn and brought back to Snake mountain to be revived. Adam tells his secret to Man-at-arms and Orko. He continues to carry the magic bag containing the power sword and transforms into He-man when evil threatens Eternia.

Widget

How I'd do a He-Man film

If I was in charge of doing a He-Man movie, I'd go off of Michael Halperin's writings for the series: Adam's mom being an astronaut, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn and Tri-Klops being her former crew, and Skeletor being a demon from another dimension instead of being Randor's half-brother.

The film would conclude in a manner similar to the "Council of Evil" episodes that concluded the first season of the 2002 cartoon, while setting up the sequel, which would bring in the Snake-Men.
    Last edited by Orko the Great; October 2, 2019 at 08:50pm.