Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Evil-Lyn yellow?

The term "doll" refers almost exclusively to toys made for girls, usually depicting babies or beautiful women (I skimmed two online dictionaries and wikipedia and that's what they say); sometimes made of fabric, but for the past several decades also made of plastic, like barbie. Because of this, "technically" you could also fit action figures in there, which doesn't exactly make it correct or accurate, and it boils down semantics.

Edit: Also, I do know that the initial idea for G. I. Joe was to have dolls for boys, but those came with clothes, and you were meant to dress and undress them in military uniforms. I would qualify those exactly as that, dolls for boys. On the other hand, I would not call a MOTU figure a doll.

Edit end.

Personally I don't feel like arguing or discussing about weather or not they are dolls. I'm not offended by this, if you wanna call them dolls, go ahead, but when people use that term (at least here) you just know they are casuals and know very little, they just want a nostalgia trip (which is not wrong by any means). When I say He-Man's harness (specially in person when buying/selling/trading), they genuinely don't know what I mean. They call it something else ("pechera"), I don't know where that term came from, and I've always called it a harness, in both English and Spanish.

What people do find offensive sometimes is calling action figures "toys"... (oh god, I hate seeing that on TV) which is absolutely ridiculous, they are toys. Even the really expensive ones, like Hot Toys life-like figures. Now, if they are statues, with no articulation, specially those made out of resin, they are just that; statues, mini statues, or busts.
    Last edited by Romer; June 18, 2014 at 04:34pm.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    they are complementary, any colours directly opposite each other on the colour wheel are called complimentary colours.

red and green, blue and orange, purple and yellow.
    Red and green look very good together. Blue and orange look pretty good together. Perhaps technically yellow and purple are "complementary colors", but they clash to my taste. I make sure never to wear the two together! lol
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

The whole complementary thing is actually based on an outdated color wheel.

They are referred nowadays as "scientific color wheel" (or the correct one) and the "artistic color wheel" (the one in use since the middle ages or some time ago like that). Currently, everything color-wise is based on the scientific color wheel, like when you use Photoshop.

For example, red's actual polar opposite is cyan. Put a red square against a cyan background and they look terrible, almost hurts to see, but they are as opposite as they get.

On the other hand, red's "artistic" opposite is green, it's what they teach in art classes, they are sort of opposites, but they don't look bad together.

Go try it on Microsoft Paint, make a red square, then invert, you'll see it turn cyan, or a color really close to it. Depends on the color management of the application.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    Isn't it a vitamin deficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Red and green look very good together. Blue and orange look pretty good together. Perhaps technically yellow and purple are "complementary colors", but they clash to my taste. I make sure never to wear the two together! lol
    Artist looking for a good colour combination and making it look different from Teela are probably the reasons. Her being a witch and evil, probably gave the freedom with skin colour.

I think she did look Asian in the cartoon and later figures.
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

Evil-Lyn's face was based on Sophia Loren - so she wasn't supposed to be Asian

She looks like a Simpson character
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

When I saw her toy at my local toy shop in the 80s growing up in Hong Kong, I did think her skin tone was because she was Asian.

And honestly I did not have any issue with it. To me, it was just good vs evil set in a fantasy / sci-fi type environment. The toy commercials really made the toys feel they were quite unique and rather refreshing and different from the robot based anime titles I was used to watching.

I love MOTU!
    Last edited by Iluvart; August 26, 2019 at 06:27am. Reason: typo fix

marketing wise, her colours look awesome next to Skeletor's and as a standalone villain amongst the toys..

Story wise... on near every account, a Witch, who commits to pure evil comes with a Physical price...see Shadow weaver, The Wicked Witch of the West, Princess Mombi, The Grand High witch...
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; August 26, 2019 at 07:36am.

Heroic Warrior
    Just coincidence , the color yellow just looks good like green/orange looks good on MAA
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Widget

Is Evil Lyn asian?

I'm just curious because I've started collecting the new Mega Construx line and her skin is yellow in the current release but then with the 2 shown at SDCC it appears to be a different skin tone.

There's toy version, Filmation version, and 200X versions.
    I am the Green Goddess!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Goddess View Post
    There's toy version, Filmation version, and 200X versions.
    Ok so my next question is, the purple one is obviously the formation. Is the black one suppose to be the 200x version. On a side note I really miss the 200x show

Widget
    Man I legit just had the same revelation. I've been collecting the Mega Construx line and while looking into the newer 2020 releases I noticed her skin tones were different. So it led me to believe she was of asian descent aswell. Kinda upsets me also. Like what is seen cannot be unseen.

Assumed Racial prejudices of Evil Lynn's toy creators if any are none of our business . If anyone is at fault it's the Mattel QA department .

Kinda reminds me of Trini the yellow Ranger and Zack the black ranger . People who don't fixate on race 24/7 don't consider these things . We need more people like that .

To me, Evil Lyn is always a yellow skinned sorceress, just like the Goddess is a green skinned goddess and Trapjaw is a neon green skinned criminal.
    I am the Green Goddess!

I like how's she yellow. But I prefer the 200X colors more.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Thankfully Mega Construx is making the original yellow, the Filmation pale Asian, and the 200x black and white versions, so everyone can have their own version of Evil Lyn.
    I am the Green Goddess!

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Me too! That’s also why I prefer Battleground Evil-Lyn when it comes to Classics. She’s one of my favourite characters in MOTU.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I am so confused - why do people think she was made yellow to show her ethnicity? If anything Jitsu would have been made yellow based on that logic. By the way Jitsu is an amazing figure.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Liver disease...jaundice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Widget
    She was born in Springfield.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I am so confused - why do people think she was made yellow to show her ethnicity? If anything Jitsu would have been made yellow based on that logic. By the way Jitsu is an amazing figure.
    She is yellow maybe cos they want to make her look Asian race?

Or to make give her a cool look?

Her whole fleshy body is yellow to match Skeletors one yellow boney skull ....