Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Character Got You Collecting Classics?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

What Character Got You Collecting Classics?

For me, it was Mer-Man.

When I first saw the Marvel Legends-like He-Man prototype, it was good, but I wasn't overly excited about it. After all, the unique sculpts of 200X was very fresh in my mind and the idea that MOTU was going back to reused parts was a huge step back; MOTU had unique parts since the latter part of the Vintage line and even New Adventures had unique sculpts. King Grayskull, He-Man and Beast Man...they looked decent enough, but I wasn't too impressed. But when I specifically saw Mer-Man, now that made me excited about Classics. Mer-Man was something that we never had before -- the straight up cardback version. His big eyed fish head , the gloves and even the leg pauldrons. This was something that I've always wanted since 1982 (just like a Blonde Teela, which eventually came out).

We even got Mer-Man in his Vengeance of Skeletor colors -- which was the very first time that I ever saw the character. He wasn't 100% accurate to the artwork, but he's close enough.

So, which character got you collecting Classics? Discuss...

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    I would have to agree with you 110% In fact back in 1981-82 when the first 8-backs appeared in the aisles it was Mer-Man that caught my attention on the cardbacks. So glad to get him the way he should have been done back then.

Heroic Warrior
    Well for me I definitely passed on quite a few figures, I was constantly on the site to get the DCUC 2 packs and the MOTUC figures looked cool but I wasn't interested right away. Eventually a friend of mine who had a store was listing a couple of figures for some other friends of his and I saw them up close, Webstor and Scareglow. Seeing these I knew my favorite character Clawful would likely be released one day and I'd want him and most likely everyone released before, this was 2010. I ended up bidding on them and won Webstor, then at C2E2 picked up Tri-Klops and He-Ro, and it's been downhill ever since.

Totally Dyslexic
    I knew of MOTUC because of PIXEL DAN´s reviews but i never considered myself a toy collector.

I had an 200X He-Man MOC. He was a gift by one of my best friends and later on i bought an Evil Lyn online but that was it.

But than Adora was announced and i knew i had to have her! I don´t know why but i had a hunch and went to my local comics store but of course they didn´t had her but they had a Teela figure and i bought her.

So basically it was Adoras presence but my first MOTUC in hand was Teela, Adora was my second.

*Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I'm the same as Niki - it was Adora, although a friend had kindly bought me Beast Man before her.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Dylamug - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets - King Ahgo - Filmation Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok and Multi-Bot

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I knew of MOTUC because of PIXEL DAN´s reviews but i never considered myself a toy collector.

I had an 200X He-Man MOC. He was a gift by one of my best friends and later on i bought an Evil Lyn online but that was it.

But than Adora was announced and i knew i had to have her! I don´t know why but i had a hunch and went to my local comics store but of course they didn´t had her but they had a Teela figure and i bought her.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/motuc..._motuc_gsm.jpg

So basically it was Adoras presence but my first MOTUC in hand was Teela, Adora was my second.

http://plannedbanter.files.wordpress...elaad_full.jpg
    I always thought Adora looked great! Then years later I see all these complaints about her "granny panties" and I never had an issue with how she was?

Heroic Warrior
    I stumbled on to Pixel Dan's reviews and saw the first several of them. That made me aware the line was going, though I had checked into the org periodically over the years.

Then, I learned that Hordak—probably my favorite MOTU character—was going to be released, and I knew I wanted him. I got him during his first sale, then I bought Mer-Man and Zodac on eBay for a great price. After that, I've been getting every figure except for the unique SDCC ones that aren't sold online.

The reveals at 2009 were particularly awesome. Between the 4H slides and the figures, there was a real sense that this line could be awesome.

And it has been.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

the first Hordak, which makes the endless only-slightly-different variations on him all the more stinging

That first He-Man prototype they snuck into the case at that one toy show. I kept track of what the heck he was supposed to be until the MotUC line was announced, then I ordered both him and Beast Man when they were put up for sale.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    This is a fun thread .

Like MGM, when Classics was first announced, and I saw they were going to be modeled after the vintage line and share parts, my interest was pretty low. Plus I was still burned that 200X had been mishandled and ended the way it did. I had been slowly collecting some of the Stactions at that time, however, and was focused on the Horde and Snake Men primarily.

I was getting Toyfare magazine though, and kept seeing things about MOTUC. Still, I wasn't that interested. Then Adora was announced, and I was very excited. Somehow at that time I discovered the Org and learned that you had to order fats when they went on sale. So I found the Matty site and was ready when she went on sale. Snagged her with no trouble.

However, I am not sure that I would say that she got me collecting MOTUC like I do now. She is certainly the beginning, but it was some time before I got more. The best way i can describe it is that certain figures were "milestones"

At first, I decided that I would just collect Horde members that had not been made as a staction, to display with them. So Catra was snagged when she came out. And then, King Hiss was, because I didn't feel the 200X toy looked right next to the stactions. But the 1st big milestone was:

Merman. I always loved Merman, and I came across one of the TRU 2 packs. It was the first time I had really seen it in person, and I really liked the way he looked. I decided to get the regular version though, and snagged him. Shortly afterwards I got the TRU Skeletor. Soon after I decided that I would expand to just collecting Skeletor's Evil Warriors. So I worked at getting them off of ebay (good timing too, I paid $35 or $40 for Whiplash), and bought other members when they became available for DOS.

But that was it. Just the Evil Warriors.

The 2012 sub drive came around, and I almost subbed for Shadow Weaver, but ultimately decided that since I was just collecting the Evil Warriors and non staction Horde, it didn't make sense to go all in. So I didn't do it. That is when the final Milestone hit.

2011's "Cyber Monday" sale. I had decided that I should get a He-man at this point, but during the heavy discount of the sale I decided to get a couple of packs of Palace Guards, so that I could set up battle scenes. Then Man at Arms appeared, and I snagged him. So I would consider Man at Arms the final milestone figure, because shortly after that I pretty much started collecting everything. I ended up buying, either DOS or via secondary market, almost all of 2012, which is what led me to sub for 2013, 14 and 15.

So I would say Adora started it, Merman broadened my horizons, and Man at Arms kicked the door open.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Princess Adora was what got me into Classics. I always wanted a figure of her. I saw a review of her on some site (I forget the name) , but that was all I needed and here I am today!

I remember seeing the early He-Man prototype, and thinking that it was quite keen. King Grayskull came and went at SDCC 2008 without my knowledge; I was away from the forums for awhile. When the idea of a full line with that style came along, I knew I was hooked. I don't recall who really cinched it for me, but it was that group of He-Man, Beast man, and Skeletor that did it. Mer-Man was when I knew I was in LOVE. I thought we'd get maybe the old 8-Backs, and boy am I glad I was wrong!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I didn't find out about MOTU Classics until I did a google search for "He-Man" in February 2009 (at the time Faker was getting ready to come out). My search led me to He-Man.org where I found out about the previously released classics (King Grayskull, He-Man, Beast Man, Skeletor, and Stratos). From that point I have been hooked.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

I was looking for vintage figures on ebay, trying to remember what I had as a kid. I was searching for Leech, and I noticed both the staction version (super expensive) and the Classics version in my search results. I decided to get both the vintage and the Classics version. Now, I have mixed feelings on Classics Leech, but he did get me into collecting the line. I think the first figure I got that really floored me was Skeletor, followed shortly by Mer-Man and Battle Cat. I was a bit meh on Beast Man (too brown) and He-Man (face is too handsome), but I was hooked.

Castle Grayskull.

I hadn't even thought about He-Man since about 1984 when the cartoon started and Prince Adam and Orko had caused me to lose interest in the line. The castle looked cool though, so I pre-ordered and then I thought I'd maybe get 10-12 figures to display in it.
    Last edited by No-Ah; July 7, 2014 at 04:46pm.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

What character made me start collecting MOTUC? That's easy, why Pixel Dan, of course!
    As for the figure which really sealed the deal, for me it was Trap Jaw! He was my fifth figure, I think, but, when I positioned him, holding his bent robot arm in his left hand, like an infantryman, holding his rifle, and watched his lunatic gaze, metal jaw, wide open, I was hooked..!

Heroic Warrior
    For me it was the very first He-man release in 2008 after watching Pixel Dan's review.

King Grayskull.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Netossa. I was at Heroes Con 2013 and spotted Netossa and that figure spoke to me. The face and colors, it was exactly what I wanted in a figure. At the same time, I saw Battleground Evil-Lyn and the short hair hooked me. I bought them both and my buddy who was with me told me about Classics. It went from there.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    But than Adora was announced and i knew i had to have her!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I'm the same as Niki - it was Adora, although a friend had kindly bought me Beast Man before her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I was getting Toyfare magazine though, and kept seeing things about MOTUC. Still, I wasn't that interested. Then Adora was announced, and I was very excited. Somehow at that time I discovered the Org and learned that you had to order fats when they went on sale. So I found the Matty site and was ready when she went on sale. Snagged her with no trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Princess Adora was what got me into Classics. I always wanted a figure of her. I saw a review of her on some site (I forget the name) , but that was all I needed and here I am today!
    I keep hearing that Adora brought so many fans into Classics. We'll hear from more people soon...

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

He-Ro. A pretty odd choice, I know. I had known about MOTUC as I had followed since the first look at that He-Man, but I wasn't interested in picking up yet anther MOTU line, especially after the 200X and staction lines. However when they first announced He-Ro as the SDCC exclusive I thought he was such a great figure and from a concept that had only ever reached prototype that I had to have him. After he was announced I picked up Hordak on sale day, He-Man and Skeletor and a few other means and I've been hooked since.

Powerful Amongst Women¡¡¡ she-manmasters's Avatar
    Oakland Park, Florida-USA Dual English-Spanish Latin América Tribal Division(Missing Located Pittsburgh, Pa/Los Angeles, California)
    Last edited by she-manmasters; July 7, 2014 at 05:20pm.
    Aquarius Birthday Numerology 2 HIGH PRIESTESS/PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS/QUEEN SHE-MAN Powerful Amongst Women Air/Universe SHE-BABY LATINA AMERICANA INDIA Queen Of Power Symbols Wise Shield Of Protection Power Rod Of Protection
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    King Grayskull.
    Same here... 2008 was my first year at SDCC. I had no clue this site (the org) existed. I never saw the 4H prototype He-Man. I don't even know how I discovered KGS was going to be available at SDCC. But I got him along with the SDCC DVD of season 3 of the MYP cartoon. And based on these 2 things, I went to the Mattypalooza panel and I was hooked. Haven't missed a figure since and don't plan on missing any going forward in this scale/style (more important to me than the Classics branding, but that's a discussion for another thread ).

Mer-man. I bought Skeletor and Hordak first and had no intention of collecting any other figures then one day I saw Mer-man and realised that I needed the guy and that if I needed him, I needed others... and over 100 figures later Mer-man is still my favourite.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Shadow Weaver is what sealed the deal for me.

This line was a hassle and a half to collect from the get go. I saw King Grayskull at SDCC, but since I couldn't just go up and buy one, I wound up passing on the line. I'd get the occasional email from Matty about new releases and I remember trying to buy both Teela and Adora. Of course they were sold out by the time I logged on and I continued to pass on the line. When Shadow Weaver was offered as the sub exclusive, I finally gave in and subscribed. Man-E-Faces was the next day of sale figure so I picked him up and started grabbing the monthly resales to fill out my collection. I started at just the right time as I was able to pick up a good chunk of the harder to find figures for retail during monthly resales.

On a side note, Mer-Man was one of my early figures and I remember how I kept thinking he was prolly one of the best looking action figures I've seen. He's still one of my top figures in MOTUC.