Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The SDCC reveal nobody expected - Son of He-Man series pitch!

I feel like I am beholden to point out that the Filmation series, She-Ra, and NA He-Man aren't exactly works of fine art, either. "This He-Man cartoon would have been corny and childish" is kind of par for the course.

Widget
    cool for he-man fans I suppose, personally I don't really care for it, Im more of a she-ra fan tbh I would watch the new heman movie it ever made but not interested in other cartoon versions or would be series

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing, Danielle!

I'm glad this pitch never came to fruition!!!! This He-Ro, Skeleteen, and story just needs to stay where it is. Mattel, please don't follow through with this failed idea any further. Listen to your elders from the past! They were smart enough to say no to it.

It's an interesting historical piece and should stay that way. Finds like this are always cool to learn about. It's like seeing all those wacky failed flight attempts by mankind at the turn of the 20th century.

I don't mean to be overly negative, but there are certain things that didn't happen for a reason, that were just awful ideas. "Vykron" comes to mind. Yes, he was a part of history and those designs helped us get to He-Man, but the designs in and of themselves were really terrible. Evidenced by one of the worst MOTUC figures. Another terrible idea that thankfully never came to fruition were those military G.I.JOE like He-Man sketches for rebranding the vintage line.

Skeleteen, may we never see or here from you!

interesting Stuff

But i wonder, i miss the She-BearCat mother and sister.

The Change from Shadowweaver to EvilLyn as mother is great. That Darius find him first is cool too.
    Self the Move from Eternia to the Tri-solarsystem is not bad, but Skeletor and King He-Man / King Adam should search the Childs when the Danger for Eternia is over.

What said Scott why THE PITCH is so diferent from Lou his SoH BIBLE ?

@Jack Olesker!
    Cool that you write in this topic too.

Jack Tell me why the 3 Episodes of New Adventure are so dofferent from the Mini comics and the german Bastai comics with a relation to the Vintage He-Man.
    Last edited by ▓He-Ro; August 2, 2014 at 10:54am.
    MOTUC Figures should have detaching Arms (Example Trap-Jaw) and Upperbody should be not one with the legs (King Hiss) for mixing Parts!!!
    --- We need more custom Figures! ---

...if you are He-Ro▓ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by ▓He-Ro View Post
    interesting Stuff

But i wonder, i miss the She-BearCat mother and sister.

The Change from Shadowweaver to EvilLyn as mother is great. That Darius find him first is cool too.
    Self the Move from Eternia to the Tri-solarsystem is not bad, but Skeletor and King He-Man / King Adam should search the Childs when the Danger for Eternia is over.

What said Scott why THE PITCH is so diferent from Lou his SoH BIBLE ?

@Jack Olesker!
    Cool that you write in this topic too.

Jack Tell me why the 3 Episodes of New Adventure are so dofferent from the Mini comics and the german Bastai comics with a relation to the Vintage He-Man.

He-Ro, as I've said before, I was not aware of the mini-comics until I came to he-man.org, many years after the series stopped airing. At no point during their presentation of the toy-line to me for my development of NA did Mattel tell me about the existence of the mini-comics. I won't speculate as to why they did not. As the Number One toy manufacturer in the world, they have reasons for doing things the way they do.

yes i remember now you said it before when i asked in your topic.

I will not say the first 3 episodes are bad made (why is not true) but if the 3 first episodes are made like the comic story from vintage to NA
    ...i am sure that NA have get more acceptance as is had now
    thanks for respond Jack

Scott his mix here of NA and SoH is interesting but i think some good parts of Lou his SoH script should be integrated.
    MOTUC Figures should have detaching Arms (Example Trap-Jaw) and Upperbody should be not one with the legs (King Hiss) for mixing Parts!!!
    --- We need more custom Figures! ---

...if you are He-Ro▓ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

Very cool! Thank you for sharing this with the entire community, Danielle! Much appreciated! -Chris
    Odds, Bobs, Hammer and Tongs!

What I love... That Scott brought this to the power party for Danielle to read to even more fans. How cool is that?!?

I love that He-Man and Teela marry and rule Eternia and continue to have amazing adventures.
    I love that He-Ro is their son, not adopted. (Not that I have anything against adoption)
    Shadow Weaver and Skeletor? That actually is a cool concept... That said, I don't mind Scott's change to Evil Lyn and agree it feels more natural to their history.
    I love the whole set up for the Ship, the travel to new planets, the stowaway, and their new friends as they both grew up, Speaking to Dare and Skeleteen.
    Frankly I would've responded better to NA He-Man back in the day, had it been all about He-Ro and that He-Man would occasionally visit. It explains the dramatic, thematic shift better IMO. Feels more like a natural progression to the overall Masters Mythos.

What I didn't like and am glad it didn't happen: live action with animation? No thanks. "The power of animation"?! No thanks. More humor over action? Not opposed to humor, but to have it override the story over action and adventure? Thank goodness no! Especially if the NA Scientists were any indication. It would've been unwatchable for me.

In the end... I'm happy this was shared, how it was shared, and does warm me up a little more to the idea of He-Ro Son of He-Man figures in the classics style... If that could happen! I really loved the concepts in this overall, again, for the reason that this feels like a more natural progression in the overall story.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    I question no-one's intellect or experience or veracity when I ask - does none of this read a little suspicious?
    This is like the wacky pitch for an ironic, post-modern take on He-Man a la 'Go teen titans' or some episodes of 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' of recent years.
    "Skeleteen"... that's the red herring for me, the giveaway, the macguffin. 1989 was not the self-aware, self-deprecating era that would have engendered that kind of take on a character, let alone from a big, starched shirt toy corps like Mattel at the time concerning a once major toy line that was then haemorraging money.
    If you buy this then you buy that certain people came up with a purple Deadpool costume with yellow braces years before Deadpool hit.
    Sorry, something about this just doesn't add up and James Eattock and Emiliano would have found out about this by now.
    By all means pitch a new, ironic humor show based on MOTU - just don't try to justify it by saying that the idea camevfrom He-Man's heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    I question no-one's intellect or experience or veracity when I ask - does none of this read a little suspicious?
    This is like the wacky pitch for an ironic, post-modern take on He-Man a la 'Go teen titans' or some episodes of 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' of recent years.
    "Skeleteen"... that's the red herring for me, the giveaway, the macguffin. 1989 was not the self-aware, self-deprecating era that would have engendered that kind of take on a character, let alone from a big, starched shirt toy corps like Mattel at the time concerning a once major toy line that was then haemorraging money.
    If you buy this then you buy that certain people came up with a purple Deadpool costume with yellow braces years before Deadpool hit.
    Sorry, something about this just doesn't add up and James Eattock and Emiliano would have found out about this by now.
    By all means pitch a new, ironic humor show based on MOTU - just don't try to justify it by saying that the idea camevfrom He-Man's heyday.
    The conspiracy theories going around about this pitch are just unnecessary. To compare, let's not forget the other Filmation pitch, "He-Man and the Masters of Space", contained a character named Skeletrix (Skeletor's younger sister) along with characters named Honeybone and Funnybone. You can read more about it in cereal:geek Magazine.

Also, we're constantly finding out new information.

Just when we think we've seen almost everything, or have heard all the stories, more is uncovered. In the past four years alone we've seen a lot of never-before-seen concept art in the collections of fans like Josh Van Pelt and Emiliano Santalucia, plus from Mattel that the public had never seen. We've also heard new stories at Power-con panels from past creators and Mattel employees. New interviews done by folks like Jukka and Danielle also turn up new info.

I have no doubt we'll find out even more as years go on. I think there will be less and less as years go on, but more just keeps turning up about He-Man and She-Ra's past.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Everything has to be a conspiracy.

No, it doesn't read a little suspicious to me. Danielle and company are not on the Mattell payroll to try and legitimize ideas that are not that popular with the fan base to begin with. Skeleteen isn't that much of a stretch to call a son of Skeletor, especially by a campy animation company such as Filmation. If you choose to believe it's not legitimate that's your deal, but to act like there's no way that we don't know everything about the brand already is silly.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Oh, for Pete's sake. Believe what you want. Short of carbon dating the thing, I can assure you it's the real deal. If it makes you feel better, James got a quick look at it too and also felt it was the genuine article.

Looking through it, one could clearly tell this thing looked nearly 30 years-old.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; August 5, 2014 at 11:34pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Oh, for Pete's sake. Believe what you want. Short of carbon dating the thing, I can assure you it's the real deal. If it makes you feel better, James got a quick look at it too and also felt it was the genuine article.

Looking through it, one could clearly tell this thing looked nearly 30 years-old.
    It's all part of Scott's 16 part plan to take over the world, or, become the mayor of a small town. First this, next he will unleash his specially trained squad of dolphins. Dark times ahead, dark times...
    Last edited by Zodak's new shoes; August 5, 2014 at 11:47pm.
    I want more army builders, Dragon Blaster Faker and world peace! And yes, I want them in that order.

Really interesting to find out, thank you for sharing this!

I must say I am really glad this never got made, whole concept with power of animation and Skeleteen is just beyond horrible. I really think Skeleteen should just be buried, and never be used... with exception of something meant to silly like Robot Chicken.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    It's all part of Scott's 16 part plan to take over the world, or, become the mayor of a small town. First this, next he will unleash his specially trained squad of dolphins. Dark times ahead, dark times...
    I want a squad of specially trained dolphins...!

Pretty cool stuff. Now if only someone would unearth the official Filmation series bible for Greyskull Tales, by John T'lustachowski. It's totes official.

No, really.

No, I mean it, for real. Why are you walking away? Turn around!

Sea Hawk

(This joke expressly for the very old people in the audience)

↑ BANNED!!!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
    Pretty cool stuff. Now if only someone would unearth the official Filmation series bible for Greyskull Tales, by John T'lustachowski. It's totes official.

No, really.

No, I mean it, for real. Why are you walking away? Turn around!

Sea Hawk

(This joke expressly for the very old people in the audience)
    Where have you been?

Master of New Adventures!
    Nixon's final White House tapes were released in 2013, so you may well be right. Wait a minute! We still don't know what was on that eighteen-minute gap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Also, we're constantly finding out new information.

Just when we think we've seen almost everything, or have heard all the stories, more is uncovered. In the past four years alone we've seen a lot of never-before-seen concept art in the collections of fans like Josh Van Pelt and Emiliano Santalucia, plus from Mattel that the public had never seen. We've also heard new stories at Power-con panels from past creators and Mattel employees. New interviews done by folks like Jukka and Danielle also turn up new info.

I have no doubt we'll find out even more as years go on. I think there will be less and less as years go on, but more just keeps turning up about He-Man and She-Ra's past.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 8, 2014 at 08:24pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I feel like I am beholden to point out that the Filmation series, She-Ra, and NA He-Man aren't exactly works of fine art, either. "This He-Man cartoon would have been corny and childish" is kind of par for the course.

I strongly disagree. I think the Filmation cartoons are awesome!

Because "Two-Bad", "Mekaneck", and "Evil-Lyn" were such refined concepts? I get what you're trying to say (and I'm not commenting about your suspicions, at all), but that era was PRECISELY the time for a character like "Skeleteen", as much as we all might despise the idea 30 years later. If ever there was a time for a magical, skull-faced, mohawked, motorcycle riding villain (in space!), the late 80's WAS IT!
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

i'm yet to see that skeleteen riding a bike image

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i'm yet to see that skeleteen riding a bike image
    Wasn't it shown at one of the Mattypalooza panels? It's floating around on this site and on Mattycollector.

This one isn't very clear, but here you go. Pretty sure I've seen a colorized version somewhere.

NYCC-2013-Mattel-Panel-090.jpg
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Wasn't it shown at one of the Mattypalooza panels? It's floating around on this site and on Mattycollector.

This one isn't very clear, but here you go. Pretty sure I've seen a colorized version somewhere.

NYCC-2013-Mattel-Panel-090.jpg
    The riding bike photo from the shot above was the one that was in the bible.