Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 115

Thread: When the New MOTU Film Director Crashed the Org SDCC Power Party

  1. #26
    Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    10,612
    That's cool. Can't wait to see some more progress on the movie front.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man


  2. #27
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaMach View Post
    So RAD! Sad I had to leave early. I had a great time chatting up JVS3 and some other folks who showed up early. Sure hope to make it next year, if it happens again!
    Things usually don't start rolling until about 9pm. I even had to watch the door for an hour, which was weird. The doorman was late.

    From around 7pm to 9pm, people are coming in, eating food, etc. Then things start to get a bit raucous.


    But still glad you came out!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,968
    Fantastic to hear. I saw a video interview with him recently and he seems like a good guy and a proper MOTU fan, as well as an uber geek. Not one of those hipsters trying to be cool and pretending to be a geek when they’re not, but a genuine one. I really hope this thing finally get’s rolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Does anyone find it funny that we keep calling Wadlow the director but the official announcement has not been made? To my knowledge he is still just listed as a writer.
    As of now officially he’s just the writer. However, it’s clearly his directing job to lose. In the video interview I mentioned he talked about his pitch to Sony, and how he put together concept art, animatics and even had maquettes of certain characters made. Someone lobbying for a writing job doesn’t really need to do all that stuff. He was clearly going for the directing gig from day one.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 7, 2014 at 06:40pm.

  4. #29
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,546
    Now that's class!

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,945
    I'd love to see Clawful and Whiplash in the movie

    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    IF Orko is portrayed well, he won't be solely a comic relief type of character. I'm hoping for the best.
    I'd rather see Orko as comic relief than some super serious double agent or something

  6. #31
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    glad to hear this I hope he wasn't overwhelmed by everyone geeking out.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Tyger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    946
    Oh no what did you filmation fans fill his head with.

    So much Orko discussion, if your reading this Mr.Wadlow why try so hard to create an Orko or Prince Adam that isn't silly when you could simply cut them from the film?

    An action fantasy film that draws from the early Alcala mini-comics and Earl Norem box art would be epic! The high fantasy of Conan and Lord of the Rings mixed with the ancient tech Sci-Fi of Star Wars would be awesome! MOTU has a history before the filmation driven cartoon series, which IMHO would be the well to draw on for a new movie property due to it's rich atmosphere and unique tone. It has the air of magic and menace that was stripped out of later interpretations of the brand, as warriors and monsters fiercely battle with beasts, spells, unique vehicles and weapons across a strange alien world in order to protect the ancient power contained within the mysterious walls of Castle Grayskull! In the end despite my canon preferences as long as the film is good I'll be happy.

    Just please no Son of He-Man, I know the current brand managers at Mattel are big on this unproduced filmation pitch but it would break my heart to see any of these characters awkwardly make their way across the screen in a new MOTU movie. The existing MOTU world is so vast and deep that there is no need to ever reach all the way down to this collection of pale character echoes and repetitive ideas.

    Just my two cents.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    1,205
    Is he here on the org listening in? Come on Jeff who are you? so we can bombard you with questions and ideas

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Oh no what did you filmation fans fill his head with.

    So much Orko discussion, if your reading this Mr.Wadlow why try so hard to create an Orko or Prince Adam that isn't silly when you could simply cut them from the film?

    An action fantasy film that draws from the early Alcala mini-comics and Earl Norem box art would be epic! The high fantasy of Conan and Lord of the Rings mixed with the ancient tech Sci-Fi of Star Wars would be awesome! MOTU has a history before the filmation driven cartoon series, which IMHO would be the well to draw on for a new movie property due to it's rich atmosphere and unique tone. It has the air of magic and menace that was stripped out of later interpretations of the brand, as warriors and monsters fiercely battle with beasts, spells, unique vehicles and weapons across a strange alien world in order to protect the ancient power contained within the mysterious walls of Castle Grayskull! In the end despite my canon preferences as long as the film is good I'll be happy.

    Just please no Son of He-Man, I know the current brand managers at Mattel are big on this unproduced filmation pitch but it would break my heart to see any of these characters awkwardly make their way across the screen in a new MOTU movie. The existing MOTU world is so vast and deep that there is no need to ever reach all the way down to this collection of pale character echoes and repetitive ideas.

    Just my two cents.
    IMO, I think a Filmation-esque MOTU film would be the most accessible to the masses. Obviously not in tone, but the structure at least.

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    IMO, I think a Filmation-esque MOTU film would be the most accessible to the masses. Obviously not in tone, but the structure at least.
    Just i hope that "most accessible to the masses" would not mean MOTU being subject for every kind of jokes for another 30 years.
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 7, 2014 at 10:00pm.

  11. #36
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Just i hope that "most accessible to the masses" will not mean MOTU being subject for every kind of jokes for another 30 years.
    It may be time to embrace that humor. But I don't want to get into another MOTU movie debate in this particular thread. I'll save my own movie feelings for an upcoming RGD where I can express them better, and then those of you who don't agree can let me have it here on the forums (constructively, of course).
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It may be time to embrace that humor. But I don't want to get into another MOTU movie debate in this particular thread. I'll save my own movie feelings for an upcoming RGD where I can express them better, and then those of you who don't agree can let me have it here on the forums (constructively, of course).
    Two seasons of the Filmation cartoon's humor (where basically the humor means, having Orko trying to infuriate Man At arms) is enough for a lifetime. It could work for a new cartoon, but a MOTU movie that has the huge task to bring a new interest for the entire franchise, will have to do more than that. Otherwise it will be just another pop corn movie that would be forgotten in a couple of months (especially when it will have to compete with a considerable amount of Marvel and DC movies).

  13. #38
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I'd rather see Orko as comic relief than some super serious double agent or something
    What we don't need is Orko being nothing more than a joke. A little funny banter is one thing, like the back and forth between Legolas and Gimli, or C-3PO and R2-D2. However, if the new MOTU movie uses comic relief more in line with Jar Jar Binks, it will be a disaster.

    I'd rather see Orko portrayed as a powerful magic wielding mage. One who's an asset and a worthy ally to He-Man. I want a new MOTU film to have more of a "Lord of the Rings" seriousness to it. A powerful and competent mage would fit right in to that type of movie.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  14. #39
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,268
    What is RGD?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    What we don't need is Orko being nothing more than a joke. A little funny banter is one thing, like the back and forth between Legolas and Gimli, or C-3PO and R2-D2. However, if the new MOTU movie uses comic relief more in line with Jar Jar Binks, it will be a disaster.

    I'd rather see Orko portrayed as a powerful magic wielding mage. One who's an asset and a worthy ally to He-Man. I want a new MOTU film to have more of a "Lord of the Rings" seriousness to it. A powerful and competent mage would fit right in to that type of movie.
    If you want a powerful mage we already have the sorceress. Orko's role is bumbling sidekick, like Pippin in LOTR.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    What is RGD?
    Roast Gooble Dinner (podcast)

  17. #42
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Two seasons of the Filmation cartoon's humor (where basically the humor means, having Orko trying to infuriate Man At arms) is enough for a lifetime. It could work for a new cartoon, but a MOTU movie that has the huge task to bring a new interest for the entire franchise, will have to do more than that. Otherwise it will be just another pop corn movie that would be forgotten in a couple of months (especially when it will have to compete with a considerable amount of Marvel and DC movies).
    This sounds like a good main page poll!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  18. #43
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,495
    Cool stuff! Hope this starts to go somewhere!

  19. #44
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    If you want a powerful mage we already have the sorceress. Orko's role is bumbling sidekick, like Pippin in LOTR.
    The Sorceress is mostly a guide/mentor for He-Man. Her magic is mainly used to protect Grayskull, it's almost never used to aid He-Man in battle away from Grayskull.

    Orko IS a powerful mage. You're selling both Orko and Pippin short, they are much more than bumbling sidekicks.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab. Ca.
    Posts
    1,474
    Masters of the Universe has such an amazing balance of character and ethics, that anyone who dares to work on it needs to have a real world historian knowledge and a devotion to the meaning and message in fantastical story telling.

    I also fear Hollywood has forgotten what a director is supposed to be, or at least as most people think a director is.
    Hollywood has gotten into a lot of agendas recently like climate change and unstoppable doom, which is how I feel about the most likely out come of a Masters movie.

    You can not come at this with only a few ideas, or emotionally stunned feelings that don't add up completely.

    Sorry if this is less positive than I do try to be most of the time.

  21. #46
    I am that I am Heidi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    6,661
    Good Journey, mr. Jeff Wadlow. With the movie production, I mean! Make the best movie ever and show the world what an awesome franchises MOTU/POP are!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

    I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

    My marketplace feedback


  22. #47
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,484
    There needs to be a happy medium between the pre-Filmation and Filmation elements for a MotU movie in my opinion. I don't think a MotU movie should be based entirely on Filmation regardless of how "accessible" it is to casual fans and movie-goers.
    Its pretty cool that he hung out with fellow fans and looked for input. Good sign.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior KeldorTheCursed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Dark Hemisphere of TN
    Posts
    196
    *Fingers crossed*

    MOTU desperately needs some new form of entertainment to regain its strength, IMO.
    -KTC

    My FREE MOTU stories:

    MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

  24. #49
    Jealous & zealous! RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    The Sorceress is mostly a guide/mentor for He-Man. Her magic is mainly used to protect Grayskull, it's almost never used to aid He-Man in battle away from Grayskull.

    Orko IS a powerful mage. You're selling both Orko and Pippin short, they are much more than bumbling sidekicks.
    On Trolla he's a powerful mage. On Eternia, he's the court jester, the sidekick, the Jimmy Olsen. Now I love Orko, and yes, there is a lot more depth to his character than just the bumbling fool who doesn't tidy his room, but ultimately he exists to provide some comic relief. That's what he was created for, and it's important to remember that humour is very important part of any story. He can help save the day once in a while, but once you start taking him too seriously you lose the essence of Orko.

    It's cool to hear that the property is in the hands of someone with a love of Masters.

  25. #50
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    On Trolla he's a powerful mage. On Eternia, he's the court jester, the sidekick, the Jimmy Olsen. Now I love Orko, and yes, there is a lot more depth to his character than just the bumbling fool who doesn't tidy his room, but ultimately he exists to provide some comic relief. That's what he was created for, and it's important to remember that humour is very important part of any story. He can help save the day once in a while, but once you start taking him too seriously you lose the essence of Orko.
    Orko is much more than a court jester on Eternia. He has used his magic correctly many times on Eternia to help He-Man and his allies. Using his magic to disguise Battle Cat as Panthor while sneaking around Snake mountain is one example off the top of my head and there are many other instances in FILMation and MYP when Orko's magic was very useful.

    In FILMation (a show made for 5 year olds) he was used for comic relief. That's all good and fine for a show aimed specifically at children. A new movie will be looking to appeal to a broader audience, including adults. An Orko that is nothing more than a joke will be horrible for that kind of movie. I know part of Orko's charm is his court jester image and I'm not suggesting that he lose that part of his character. I also enjoy Orko supplying a few laughs here and there when it's appropriate and when it fits, but like I said, there's a fine line between comic relief and being nothing more than a joke. Orko deserves better than to be relegated to nothing more than a few juvenile laughs.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •