Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 115

Thread: When the New MOTU Film Director Crashed the Org SDCC Power Party

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,973
    When I say the new film will probably borrow most from the Filmation incarnation of MOTU, I'm not talking about the tone. I'm talking about the structure and narrative. The way the Filmation world is laid out is almost like a superhero universe. You’ve got good guys and bad guys, with a secret identity to boot. With superhero films being the "in" thing now I think this is the road they will go down. They certainly won't go down the barbarian route, as that is more risky and the newest Conan film was a spectacular failure.

    The tone the new film should go for is the same tone found in the new Marvel films. Serious threats with lighter moments. I don't think it’s that hard to achieve. If all the rumours we've heard are to be believed its Mattel who is making it harder than it needs to be.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 8, 2014 at 12:52pm.

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    On Trolla he's a powerful mage. On Eternia, he's the court jester, the sidekick, the Jimmy Olsen. Now I love Orko, and yes, there is a lot more depth to his character than just the bumbling fool who doesn't tidy his room, but ultimately he exists to provide some comic relief. That's what he was created for, and it's important to remember that humour is very important part of any story. He can help save the day once in a while, but once you start taking him too seriously you lose the essence of Orko.

    It's cool to hear that the property is in the hands of someone with a love of Masters.
    The problem with Orko is, that even as a comic relief is more annoying, than actually funny and his design is too simplistic and boring. But if a movie Orko would look similar to this:

    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Orko-C...sign-410802581

    i.e. more serious, less cartoonish, and adapted for an epic MOTU movie, and not for a MOTU parody, surely would be better. The problem is that the MOTU franchise is practically "hostage" of the Filmation cartoon, and even if it has a great potential to be a popular movie franchise if done right, a simple live action adaptation of the Filmation cartoon would not help to accomplish this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    When I say the new film will probably borrow most from the Filmation incarnation of MOTU, I'm not talking about the tone. I'm talking about the structure and narrative. The way the Filmation world is laid out is almost like a superhero universe. You’ve got good guys and bad guys, with a secret identity to boot. With superhero films being the "in" thing now I think this is the road they will go down. They certainly won't go down the barbarian route, as that is more risky and the newest Conan film was a spectacular failure.

    The tone the new film should go for is the same tone found in the new Marvel films. Serious threats with lighter moments. I don't think it’s that hard to achieve. If all the rumours we've heard are to be believed its Mattel who is making it harder than it needs to be.

    There are already too many superhero movies around and they are going to be alot more to the near future. If the MOTU will try to imitate the superhero model of the Marvel and DC movies (especially without the huge promotion that these movies have), then it would be just another cape movie and probably would be lost among the others. A MOTU movie will have to present this unique combination of Conan, Flash Gordon, Mad Max, LOTR and Star Wars elements that make it special in the first place.
    As for the secret identity, is inevitable that the plot device of Prince Adam will be present in the movie, but personally i always find the secret identity for the Classic He-Man a bit unnecessary, since if he is the Prince, he and his family are already the biggest target on Eternia. So apart from the transformation sequence the secret identity doesn't serve to anything.

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,951
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    The Sorceress is mostly a guide/mentor for He-Man. Her magic is mainly used to protect Grayskull, it's almost never used to aid He-Man in battle away from Grayskull.

    Orko IS a powerful mage. You're selling both Orko and Pippin short, they are much more than bumbling sidekicks.
    Bumbling sidekicks occationally manage to save the day. Making Orko other than bumbling sidekick would be completely changing his character

  4. #54
    Heroic Warrior Triklops 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eternos
    Posts
    4,236
    Uhm no, keep the secret identity, its one of the core elements of the entire myth. Prince Adam's life would be too much exposed to danger anytime anywhere in Eternia. It still works so well for a lot of super heroes, so for He-man as well.

    Anyway I find Jeff Waldow a real passionate motu-fan, I've faith in him (more than in John Chu, so glad he's not directing ) but still this is no concrete news to me. The development for this movie is so slow and my guess is mattel is still not convinced in relaunching Masters for the mainstream public again or they are taking all this time to make a decent movie on the level of The Hobbit or Thor's movies and do justice to this property.
    I prefer to wait 2-3- more years for an high level movie than see some brainless popcorn flick just for the sake to sell more toys (Michael Bay, I'm talkin to you , you've ruined TMNT too! ). Please, lets change motto: its all about quality (not money)
    Last edited by Triklops 1; August 8, 2014 at 01:36pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    Uhm no, keep the secret identity, its one of the core elements of the entire myth. Prince Adam's life would be too much exposed to danger anytime anywhere in Eternia. It still works so well for a lot of super heroes, so for He-man as well.

    Anyway I find Jeff Waldow a real passionate motu-fan, I've faith in him (more than in John Chu, so glad he's not directing ) but still this is no concrete news to me. The development for this movie is so slow and my guess is mattel is still not convinced in relaunching Masters for the mainstream public again or they are taking all this time to make a decent movie on the level of The Hobbit or Thor's movies and do justice to this property.
    I prefer to wait 2-3- more years for an high level movie than see some brainless popcorn flick just for the sake to sell more toys (Michael Bay, I'm talkin to you , you've ruined TMNT too! ). Please, lets change motto: its all about quality (not money)
    In the DC comic there is no secret identity, and it worked so far. And again if He-Man is also the Prince, doesn't this make the whole "secret identity" pointless? And there are many popular super heroes that don't have a secret identity (Wolverine, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk).

  6. #56
    Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    481
    The way I see it is that Adam has 3 mentors:

    1) MAA is the mentor of Adam as a man/prince/warrior future ruler of Eternia.
    2) Sorceress is the mentor of Adam in the secrets and power of Grayskull.
    3) Orko is the mentor of Adam on his duties as a Cosmic Warrior (as He-Ro) as tasked by the Overlords

    I think Orko can be upgraded from the idiot in the cartoon to a member of "council" of mentors for He-man in the movie. Anyways, MAA should be a main character in the movie, Orko and Sorceress are secondary.

    Of course I would like to see Zodac too... kind of in epic battles in the cosmos against the Horde Empire, a la "Lord of the Rings' Prologue".

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    288
    I hope to see Clamp Champ, but I also would like to see Prince Dakon(Mini Comic) if Jeff Wadlow is going to use third tier characters.

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,973
    I hope loads of people said Stinkor.

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    The way I see it is that Adam has 3 mentors:

    1) MAA is the mentor of Adam as a man/prince/warrior future ruler of Eternia.
    2) Sorceress is the mentor of Adam in the secrets and power of Grayskull.
    3) Orko is the mentor of Adam on his duties as a Cosmic Warrior (as He-Ro) as tasked by the Overlords

    I think Orko can be upgraded from the idiot in the cartoon to a member of "council" of mentors for He-man in the movie. Anyways, MAA should be a main character in the movie, Orko and Sorceress are secondary.

    Of course I would like to see Zodac too... kind of in epic battles in the cosmos against the Horde Empire, a la "Lord of the Rings' Prologue".
    I always believed that Zodac was the person that has the role of the Cosmic Warrior/Enforcer in the MOTU Universe. He-Man even in the New Adventures was always the soldier of Grayskull, ready to go at any mission that the Sorceress asked him to, not a Green Lantern rip-off.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I hope loads of people said Stinkor.
    Stinkor is Skeletor's living biochemical weapon, his toxic gas is lethal.

  10. #60
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Making Orko other than bumbling sidekick would be completely changing his character
    I'd agree with that, if having vast magical knowledge and skill wasn't part of his character as well.

    If were going to have everyone portrayed as they've been characterized in cartoons like FILMation and MYP, then almost every villain needs to be a "bumbling" fool. I expect a little more realism and seriousness from a live action MOTU film.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I'd agree with that, if having vast magical knowledge and skill wasn't part of his character as well.

    If were going to have everyone portrayed as they've been characterized in cartoons like FILMation and MYP, then almost every villain needs to be a "bumbling" fool. I expect a little more realism and seriousness from a live action MOTU film.
    If only Skeletor, even remotely look like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRw5_3OFgc

    i will consider it a success. But is very unlikely that Langella's supreme performance will be surpassed.

  12. #62
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,381
    That would be cool if Wadlow came here to the he-man.org forums. Hmm, maybe he does since he could be anyone of us!

    Anyhoo, I hope that people mentioned Triklops and Trap Jaw and megacool characters to be in the film. BTW: the downside of having too many characters in a movie is that some or most get very little screen time or character development. I think that 5-6 good guys and 6-7 name bad guys is a good ratio. I wonder what type of movie, I just hope it's not a lame super-hero-like origin story, that's been done to death. I would like a hero's journey, but even that gets old. It would probably be epic in scale, though. So....
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  13. #63
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,632
    Yeah, Langella's portrayal of Skeletor is amazing!!

    If we get a Skeletor even half as cool as that, I'll be impressed.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  14. #64
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,973
    Supposedly the Twitter account newhemanmovie has a draft of the script. They didn't say whether it’s a draft that Wadlow penned or not. Anyway, they say that Webstor is in it, as well as Orko, the secret identity angle is included and to prepare for a big twist with Skeletor (don't like the sound of that). However, the most interesting thing they say is that apparently Sony is looking for a "name" to play Prince Adam and an unknown to portray He-Man. I find that quite intriguing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Stinkor is Skeletor's living biochemical weapon, his toxic gas is lethal.
    Completely agree. I'm not joking. Out of all the lesser known MOTU characters I've always thought Stinkor had the most potential.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 8, 2014 at 07:23pm.

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,951
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    I'd agree with that, if having vast magical knowledge and skill wasn't part of his character as well.
    Not on eternia it isn't

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Supposedly the Twitter account newhemanmovie has a draft of the script. They didn't say whether it’s a draft that Wadlow penned or not. Anyway, they say that Webstor is in it, as well as Orko, the secret identity angle is included and to prepare for a big twist with Skeletor (don't like the sound of that). However, the most interesting thing they say is that apparently Sony is looking for a "name" to play Prince Adam and an unknown to portray He-Man. I find that quite intriguing.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Completely agree. I'm not joking. Out of all the lesser known MOTU characters I've always thought Stinkor had the most potential.
    Stinkor's episode from the MYP series was one of the most sad and touching stories.

    As for the secret identity, if they have Adam and He-Man looking different enough like they were in the 200X series then alright, otherwise we will have to deal with such kind of videos on youtube for another 30 years:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7lp9umG2I
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 8, 2014 at 08:26pm.

  17. #67
    Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I'd agree with that, if having vast magical knowledge and skill wasn't part of his character as well.

    If were going to have everyone portrayed as they've been characterized in cartoons like FILMation and MYP, then almost every villain needs to be a "bumbling" fool. I expect a little more realism and seriousness from a live action MOTU film.
    Completely agree, villians in the filmation cartoon are even more incompetent than Orko. Villians in the movie should be really menacing.

  18. #68
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,517
    I second what Tallstar said what were his comments on Adora / She-Ra?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  19. #69
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Not on eternia it isn't
    Incorrect. Orko has used his magic properly in crucial situations on Eternia in both FILMation and MYP.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  20. #70
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,548
    For those that have missed them, there are these two Orko threads:

    a regular Orko thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...highlight=Orko

    a poll Orko thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...highlight=Orko

  21. #71
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    For those that have missed them, there are these two Orko threads:
    This thread may be filled with discussion on Orko, but it's about how people would like him portrayed (or not) in the film. I don't see anything wrong with that in this particular thread. Especially when this thread contains a quote about Orko from Jeff Wadlow.
    Last edited by dedset13; August 8, 2014 at 09:11pm.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  22. #72
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,548
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    This thread may be filled with discussion on Orko, but it's about how people would like him portrayed (or not) in the film. I don't see anything wrong with that in this particular thread.
    There is some discussion in the Orko threads linked about how people would like him portrayed in the film. It is ok to have some discussion in this thread about Orko's portrayal (never said otherwise) since the director mentions him as long as it doesn't overtake the thread.

  23. #73
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    3,951
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    Incorrect. Orko has used his magic properly in crucial situations on Eternia in both FILMation and MYP.
    Never consistently good at magic in either series. As befits his established character as bumbling sidekick. He was only ever consistently competent at magic on Trolla

    The only canon where Orko is the kind of bad ass you're describing is the classics bios--the worst of all canons to date
    Last edited by Lich Leech; August 9, 2014 at 12:38am.

  24. #74
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    7,893
    Gives me hope for the movie....well as long as Orko never plays baseball in it.

  25. #75
    ▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    However, the most interesting thing they say is that apparently Sony is looking for a "name" to play Prince Adam and an unknown to portray He-Man. I find that quite intriguing.
    The Steve Rogers/Captain America effect was very effective in The First Avenger. Sony should just do that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •