Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: When the New MOTU Film Director Crashed the Org SDCC Power Party

Gives me hope for the direction of the movie now Just hope the producer,etc...doesn't try to override the director's vision

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The problem with Orko is, that even as a comic relief is more annoying, than actually funny and his design is too simplistic and boring.
    Orko is so NOT annoying, he is one of the best characters in the MOTU mythos and I will totally boycott this movie if he is NOT in it. Oh and Orko better be Orko, I don't want a darker, grittier remake of him (DC comics I am looking at you) , I want him to be the Orko that we all grew up with.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Orko is so NOT annoying, he is one of the best characters in the MOTU mythos and I will totally boycott this movie if he is NOT in it. Oh and Orko better be Orko, I don't want a darker, grittier remake of him (DC comics I am looking at you) , I want him to be the Orko that we all grew up with.
    There is always the Filmation cartoon for this. The movie is a different concept. For example you would not expect a Batman movie being oversaturated with the Bat-Mite.

Heroic Warrior
    There is always the Filmation cartoon for this. The movie is a different concept. For example you would not expect a Batman movie being oversaturated with the Bat-Mite.
    Why is the movie a different concept? Did anyone say it was a different concept? I still see no reason Orko can't be a main character in a live action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Never consistently good at magic in either series. As befits his established character as bumbling sidekick. He was only ever consistently competent at magic on Trolla

The only canon where Orko is the kind of bad ass you're describing is the classics bios--the worst of all canons to date
    Well, that's your opinion and your entitled to it. Let's just agree to disagree and move on like Firefly suggested.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Why is the movie a different concept? Did anyone say it was a different concept? I still see no reason Orko can't be a main character in a live action movie.
    The most of times a movie franchise is placed in a different universe in comparison with the original comic/cartoon material, because it gives to the director much more creativity freedom. For example the Marvel Cinematic Universe with all these movies, is different from the main 616 Comic Marvel Universe. The same is with the DC Universe. The Bayformers are different from the original Transformers and so on.
    And really i didn't say that Orko can't be in the movie, just not like he was presented in the Filmation cartoon. A character can be a comic relief in one version of a story, and bit more serious in another. For example in the X-Men TAS, Wolverine was the comic relief, but the comic book or the movie Wolverine was anything but that. Gimli from the LOTR movie trilogy was the comic relief, but in Tolkien's books, Gimli is not depicted that way.
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 9, 2014 at 12:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

Well, that's your opinion and your entitled to it. Let's just agree to disagree and move on like Firefly suggested.
    Sounds good

This is encouraging. Someone who seems to actually care about the franchise and the fandom. Unlike Micheal Bay and the like who just see things like this as a simplistic cash cow.
    Hopefully the villains will be a real threat unlike the cartoons.

I hope Batros's name was dropped when he asked for third tier characters
    Last edited by Rodster6; August 9, 2014 at 05:55pm.

I hope they handle technology appropriately. Tech should be salvaged from an earlier age, not mass produced by Man-At-Arms. Otherwise why a pre-industrial society? That wouldn't make sense

It would be cool if Wadlow joined the forum and ocasssionally posted. I know one of the creative forces behind the last G.I. Joe movie did that on hisstank.com.

i want to see something like this on a movie in a lord of the rings style

I think the perfect plot!

And please He-man is a barbarian!!!!!( "Conan") dont put a skinny guy on it!!!
    The last conan movie sucked
    Last edited by dark knight; August 10, 2014 at 07:57am.
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Oh yeah defenately I want "our Smaug" playing a big part in the movie.

I Liked Hobbit 2 a lot and I've always dreamed to see Granamyr in place of Smaug in the last scene of the movie. Having Sorrowful in the sequel would be fun too, because I hope sony is planning a trilogy, MOTU has a lot of potential !
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "LET THE POWER RETURNS....!"

If the MOTU movie is anything like the new Hobbit movies, I'll be very disappointed

I'd like something with practical effects when possible and CGI only when necessary (more the original LOTR trilogy and less the CGI-heavy Hobbit films). I just can't take the new Hobbits seriously as they are way too cartoony for my tastes.

I don't want a live-action cartoon, but rather a true Robert E. Howard-esque fantasy film with sci-fi elements. Something mature without being "gritty" for the sake of it. Just my opinion, though.

That being said, the problem with MOTU is that because there have been so many different takes on it (humorous and family friendly vs. gritty, fantasy heavy vs. sci-fi heavy, etc.), that a movie can't be all of those things at once, and it can't please everyone, no matter what it does.

The best chance it has is to reinvent itself and not borrow too heavily from any of those things, but instead try to be its own thing (hopefully with "enough" borrowed elements to still be readily recognizable). I tried to do something similar with my stuff, and people seem to like it. It can't be too slavish to any one interpretation, or it will only cater to a (relatively) small group of people.
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; August 10, 2014 at 05:20pm.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

I still prefer the look and feel of the 1987 Masters of the Universe film. I loved this movie to death in 1987 and I still love it now. This film is very under rated and not given enough credit for what they did accomplish. The artistic direction of the 1987 live action movie was really top notch especially for the time in which it was made. They had just the right amount of technology mixed with sword and sorcery to make it work. What makes MOTU unique is the way technology was mixed in with a fantasy setting. It doesn't feel like a copy of Star Wars or copy of Conan. If anything it was influenced by movies such as the Dark Crystal and the Never Ending story. This is not Robert E Howard type of fantasy or a JRR Tolkien fantasy. MOTU is its own thing with a very unique blend of styles that needs to be preserved in any future movies. Copying a bunch of other movies is not what is needed. We already have the perfect formula here.

The casting was also superbly done as well. Dolph Lundgren was perfect He-man. He looked the part perfectly and his "I have the power" yell is what really cliched it. There will never be a better performance as Skeletor than Frank Langella. He is Skeletor period. The reason for this is he looked believable. Skeletor looked like he could be real not like a cartoon or CGI monster. He was such an improvement over the Filmation skeletor who was just a bumbling fool. Frank Langella's Skeletor was everything a real movie villain should be without being over the top or gratuitus like Zod from Superman or Loki from Avengers. Not to be out done Meg Foster's Evil-Lyn was much improved over the ridiculous looking Filmation Evil-Lyn.

There are many parts of this film that done pretty much perfectly. The opening scene was pretty much everything I ever wanted from a He-man movie. If the whole movie would have kept the same pace as the first 2 minutes this movie would have been beyond incredible. The main reason the 1987 movie didn't live up to expectations was because they didn't keep up the epic pace on Eternia. They went to Earth and dropped the ball. Maybe they didn't have the money for it in 1987 but with visual effects today it can easily be done right. A full movie set in Eternia that looks like this would be the most incredible movie ever:

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I still prefer the look and feel of the 1987 Masters of the Universe film. I loved this movie to death in 1987 and I still love it now. This film is very under rated and not given enough credit for what they did accomplish. The artistic direction of the 1987 live action movie was really top notch especially for the time in which it was made. They had just the right amount of technology mixed with sword and sorcery to make it work. What makes MOTU unique is the way technology was mixed in with a fantasy setting. It doesn't feel like a copy of Star Wars or copy of Conan. If anything it was influenced by movies such as the Dark Crystal and the Never Ending story. This is not Robert E Howard type of fantasy or a JRR Tolkien fantasy. MOTU is its own thing with a very unique blend of styles that needs to be preserved in any future movies. Copying a bunch of other movies is not what is needed. We already have the perfect formula here.

The casting was also superbly done as well. Dolph Lundgren was perfect He-man. He looked the part perfectly and his "I have the power" yell is what really cliched it. There will never be a better performance as Skeletor than Frank Langella. He is Skeletor period. The reason for this is he looked believable. Skeletor looked like he could be real not like a cartoon or CGI monster. He was such an improvement over the Filmation skeletor who was just a bumbling fool. Frank Langella's Skeletor was everything a real movie villain should be without being over the top or gratuitus like Zod from Superman or Loki from Avengers. Not to be out done Meg Foster's Evil-Lyn was much improved over the ridiculous looking Filmation Evil-Lyn.

There are many parts of this film that done pretty much perfectly. The opening scene was pretty much everything I ever wanted from a He-man movie. If the whole movie would have kept the same pace as the first 2 minutes this movie would have been beyond incredible. The main reason the 1987 movie didn't live up to expectations was because they didn't keep up the epic pace on Eternia. They went to Earth and dropped the ball. Maybe they didn't have the money for it in 1987 but with visual effects today it can easily be done right. A full movie set in Eternia that looks like this would be the most incredible movie ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv677JIvMk
    I agree with pretty much every bit of that. The '87 movie would have been incredible if it had had the budget and hadn't involved Earth in any way (that was its primary downfall, IMO. I even like Gwildor).

Langella's Skeletor will be hard to beat. Lundgren's He-Man, not so much, IMO, but he was good for what the movie ended up being. If we can get something like the Eternian scenes in that movie, I will be happy. Hopefully we can get actors of Langella's caliber in both lead roles (at the very least. I'd like a strong supporting cast, as well).
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post
    I agree with pretty much every bit of that. The '87 movie would have been incredible if it had had the budget and hadn't involved Earth in any way (that was its primary downfall, IMO. I even like Gwildor).

Langella's Skeletor will be hard to beat. Lundgren's He-Man, not so much, IMO, but he was good for what the movie ended up being. If we can get something like the Eternian scenes in that movie, I will be happy. Hopefully we can get actors of Langella's caliber in both lead roles (at the very least. I'd like a strong supporting cast, as well).
    Langella set the bar too high! Langella's Skeletor is not only the best MOTU villain that ever appeared in any kind of media, is also one of the best villains that have been brought on the big screen. His performance put to shame those of current Zod's and Loki's. Each line of his in the movie is pure gold. And even people that never liked or knew anything about MOTU, expressed their admiration for his supreme performance.
    If i would permitted to give only one advice to the new director that would be, once the actor that will play Skeletor, will be casted, to tell him to watch every day, this particular scene from the old MOTU film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOsHoqhbUIU

True. Langella's Skeletor is frighteningly ahead of the rest of the film, by far. He's almost too good for it, if that makes sense. Amazing performance. And yes, literally every line of his (as well as their delivery) is phenomenal.

Well then... there is something we can all agree on
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Langella set the bar too high! Langella's Skeletor is not only the best MOTU villain that ever appeared in any kind of media, is also one of the best villains that have been brought on the big screen. His performance put to shame those of current Zod's and Loki's. Each line of his in the movie is pure gold. And even people that never liked or knew anything about MOTU, expressed their admiration for his supreme performance.
    If i would permitted to give only one advice to the new director that would be, once the actor that will play Skeletor, will be casted, to tell him to watch every day, this particular scene from the old MOTU film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOsHoqhbUIU
    That speech was certainly the defining point of the whole movie. What you have to remember here is that this was a major break from the Filmation skeletor. In the cartoon Skeletor had a squeaky almost robotic voice. That voice never would have worked in a live action movie. What had to happen was that they actually needed the forsight to look beyond the original source material from Filmation and the toy line. Skeletor had to inspide confidence in the viewer that he was a serious villain worth worrying about. It is something that actually goes beyond confidence and there is a term for it. It is called Gravitas, where the character or speaker has the ability to pull the viewer into their world.

Not many actors and even fewer directors understand the nuances of having Gravitas. It is not so much what the character is saying but the way in which the lines are delivered. Notice how Frank Langella does not deliver every line in the same tone. It alternates between talking softly one moment and then screaming the next and then back down to softer tones. This is how a performance is brought alive. It is not the lines it is the delivery that makes a great speaker. There was nothing special about the content of Skeletor's speech. The dramatic effect was entirely in Langella's delivery. Knowing what lines to say loudly is an art form. There are not many fictional characters that can even pull off real gravitas. It is mostly only real life speakers that do gravitas. Not even James Erol Jones as Darth Vader had as much gravitas Langella's Skeletor.

Frank Langella's performance wasn't just something that came out of nowhere either. I have somewhat of an inclanation to think the MOTU skeletor was inspired by Tim Cury's performance as Darkness in the movie Legend directed by Ridly Scott in 1985. If you never seen the movie "Legend" check it out sometime. Funny part is even Gwildor is in this movie. Darkness played by Tim Cury was one of the best movie villains of all time because he had incredible gravitas. His voice was just out of this world both inspiring and terrifying at the same time.

Ultimately this is the problem I have with Jeff Wadlow. He may understand MOTU but I don't think he understands what makes great filmatography or subtle concepts such as gravitas. Kick Ass 2 is not great film making even by campy standards. Even campy movies have great performances in them such as Legend and Tim Cury building a name for himself in Rocky Horror Picture show. It is fine with Jeff Wadlow writing the script but somebody who actually understands film should direct it. We need someone who understands how great performances can bring characters alive. We don't want a flat Zod or Loki type performance setting the tone of MOTU. This is pretty much what either makes or breaks a film. If Jeff Wadlow understands the finer points of film making he should talk about them more instead of just talking about his toy collection.

If I had to recast skeletor for a new movie I would choose Benedict Cumberbatch for the role. He is the only modern actor that can pull off a role with a tonn of Gravitas. Cumberbatch was previously the voice of Smaug the dragon in Hobbit and Khan from Star Trek. Cumberbatch's voice is nothing like Langella's but what you get is the gravitas that goes along with it. In this scene Cumberbatch does the perfect up and down tone of voice that makes the whole talking dragon seem believable. That same type of talent is required for bringing Skeletor back as a live action character. Anything less would just look silly. The point I am trying to make here is that one has to be willing go beyond the original material of toys, cartoons, and comic books to make a working live action movie.

Personally, I love the MCU Loki, but Loki is not Skeletor, so I agree that I wouldn't want them to imitate Marvel's success with that character.

I like Cumberbatch quite a bit. His participation in both the second Hobbit film and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was the primary reason that I saw them. Sadly, I was very disappointed in both films, though I don't blame that on him.

I think he would be a good choice, but not the only choice. The role of Skeletor (or any of the others, IMO), really just depends on the actor taking the role seriously. The reason Skeletor was so great in that film was because Langella was so involved with his creation. He helped with everything from the weight of the cloak and how it moved to re-writing his lines (and, from what I understand, some other aspects of the movie as well). That role is fondly remembered because he took it seriously and wanted it to be great (and fun). He was a Shakespearean actor treating Skeletor as if he were a Shakespearean character (to great results).

If we can get actors that feel the same way about their characters in a new film, then I think we will at least be off on the right foot.
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; August 11, 2014 at 09:12am.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I still prefer the look and feel of the 1987 Masters of the Universe film. I loved this movie...

...also superbly done as well. Dolph Lundgren was perfect He-man. He looked the part...
    I greatly think Dolph is perfect for Skeletor, now.
    I try not to get into casting talk, but I have VERY strong feelings about it with some actors/actresses, and this guy is the wink to the 1987 movie in my mind, and all that was good about it.

Hollywood takes casting about as seriously as Bank of America takes the stock and trade, or to say, a bit too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post
    Personally, I love the MCU Loki, but Loki is not Skeletor, so I agree that I wouldn't want them to imitate Marvel's success with that character.

I like Cumberbatch quite a bit. His participation in both the second Hobbit film and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was the primary reason that I saw them. Sadly, I was very disappointed in both films, though I don't blame that on him.

I think he would be a good choice, but not the only choice. The role of Skeletor (or any of the others, IMO), really just depends on the actor taking the role seriously. The reason Skeletor was so great in that film was because Langella was so involved with his creation. He helped with everything from the weight of the cloak and how it moved to re-writing his lines (and, from what I understand, some other aspects of the movie as well). That role is fondly remembered because he took it seriously and wanted it to be great (and fun). He was a Shakespearean actor treating Skeletor as if he were a Shakespearean character (to great results).

If we can get actors that feel the same way about their characters in a new film, then I think we will at least be off on the right foot.
    It is true what you say about Shakespearean stage actors. They tend to take their roles very seriously and can make larger than life characters feel real. All the lead roles in Shakespeare's plays were these very melodramatic characters centered around the actor having a lot of gravitas. Macbeth for example was almost like a Skeletor type character in a way. Macbeth was completely over the top and borderline insane but somehow still human and relatable. Probably any stage actor who has done the lead role in Macbeth or Hamlet for that matter would make a convincing Skeletor.

In addition to Skeletor there also needs to be a really good He-man. He-man should not be played by a young actor. Ideally it should be someone who grew up in the time when the original cartoons were big. My first pick to be He-Man would be John Cena. He is the perfect age being part of our generation. John Cena is also a known name for winning the WWE championship so he has a pretty big following. Also he looks and sounds a bit like Dolph Lundgren. The big plus is he can act and has a certain charisma about him. His voice is everything I would want out of a He-Man. He-Man is a cool head surrounded by insanity. He-man is not a dark hero like Thor. He is the eye of the Hurricane and calmness within the storm but also represents great power. He-Man is the controlled light contrasting to the darkness and Chaos of Skeletor.

This is why I like John Cena because he is just like He-man. He is so good it is almost to a fault like he is a giant naive boy scout. I really get the impression that his entire WWE personality is play off of He-Man. Look at this he wears pink, fights for cancer, basically his prince Adam personality. Then when he goes in the ring he Transforms into WWE champion Cena (He-man) who defeated the stage heels Brock Lesner and Big show. He even fights like He-Man when he picked up the 500lbs big show and tossed him like he was nothing. John Cena is the closest thing to a real life He-Man you are ever going to see. He was 6 years old when He-Man cartoons and toys came out. He-Man is certainly the root influence of his stage character. It is only fitting the most powerful man in the WWE should play "the most powerful man in the Universe."

John Cena has to play He-Man. He was born for this role.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    I greatly think Dolph is perfect for Skeletor, now.
    I try not to get into casting talk, but I have VERY strong feelings about it with some actors/actresses, and this guy is the wink to the 1987 movie in my mind, and all that was good about it.

Hollywood takes casting about as seriously as Bank of America takes the stock and trade, or to say, a bit too seriously.
    I definitely like the idea of bringing back the old cast from 1987 MOTU film and reprising their roles but not with Skeletor. Skeletor's character is too important. Here is a recasting plan that brings back 4 different roles:

King Randor - Dolph Lundgren: Old He-Man plays the father of the new He-Man
    Queen Marlena - Courtney Cox: Was Julie from Earth in the original movie
    Sorceress - Meg Foster: Was Evil-Lyn now she is on the side of Good
    Orko (voice) - Robert Duncan McNeil: Was Kevin from Earth. Some may remember McNeil as Tom Paris from the Voyager series. McNeil has a very distinctive and almost geeky voice that would be perfect for Orko.
    Last edited by InThe80s; August 11, 2014 at 06:48pm.

You lost me with Cena, sorry. I like him as a "real" person, but haven't liked anything he's been in (including his wrestling character). But that's just my opinion. As much as I like pro wrestling (and I really do), I can't think of any wrestler I'd really want in a MOTU movie. I think the film will have enough trouble with people not taking it seriously as it is, and if a wrestler plays He-Man, it will have even more of a hill to climb than it already does as the general public doesn't take pro wrestling seriously. It would be a double-whammy, IMO, and not in a good way. (As an interesting side note, do you know who are huge He-Man fans? Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston)

Truth be told, I honestly have no idea who I'd pick for He-Man, but I think Liam Hemsworth would be good for Adam.

To TRY to steer this thread back on topic, I think it's neat that the guy showed up at the SDCC party and seems like a true fan. I just hope he knows what he's getting into, lol. He'll never please everyone, especially MOTU fans. We can be a cantankerous lot

That being said, he doesn't need to. He just needs to make a good movie and then (hopefully) we can finally see the resurgence of MOTU that we've all been waiting for.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

No wrestlers should be allowed anywhere near He-Man, for any role.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No wrestlers should be allowed anywhere near He-Man, for any role.

Agreed. Dave Bautista was good in Guardians of the Galaxy... but he also played a role that didn't require much range.

I just think it would kill the movie before it began, at least as far as the public (who really need to want to see the movie) is concerned.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories: