Thread: Club NA 03 "The Heat"

Club NA 03 "The Heat"

For those wanting to start episode 3!
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Episode 3 "The Heat"

First lets start of with the negative: the Scientists were cringe-worthy in this episode. I really felt for Skeletor when he was interrogating them.

As for the rest, I loved it. The overall plot was good and made sense. Good episode that continued the story. It was by far the best episode so far. This is the kind of episode I like.

I love the Jetlag design of NA Sorceress so any time she shows up is great.

I loved the Slushhead scenes. I don't mine humor as long as it's done well. Slushhead was great jumping into the swamp. The reaction from Flogg and the others was priceless.

It was nice to finally see a Mutants vs. Galactic Protectors scene. Flipshot and Hydron actually did something. I thought though a golden opportunity was missed. Hydron's wearing a scuba suit and we never even saw him jump into the swamp and use it.

The scene with Flogg at the end arguing with Skeletor about the ship was great.
    Last edited by Bonehead; August 15, 2014 at 01:24pm.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    First lets start of with the negative: the Scientists were cringe-worthy in this episode. I really felt for Skeletor when he was interrogating them.
    The Scientists were at their worst in this one. (Or is this how they are all the time?) I wonder what kind of scientists they really are? At the end when they used the cold stabilizer and skated on it too soon, Gleep had to remind them like a parent they shouldn't have done that.

Slush-Head looked like a giant compared to them. I was hoping he'd finish them off, but alas, I guess not in a kid's show.

It was cool to see the Mutants in combat. Hoping to see more Karatti and Hoove. And good to see Crita (albeit a brief appearance) in the episode.

Overall, the episode was alright. I suppose too much Scientist screen time for my tastes.

When the episode started, I was listening to the introduction and the story was pretty complex. I wonder if this show was aimed at an older demographic compared to the Filmation show. I guess it makes sense as that would capture some of that same audience that watched the original show.

Like posters before me, I liked Slushy in this episode. He is actually kind of a badass during the kidnapping scene. It sucks he had to spoil it later with his goofiness. Slushy is probably mu favorite villain in the cartoon. There's something likable about him.

It was interesting when the villains had to give up over a ship. I don't remember economics ever being a factor. Usually, everyone just had everything. Losing material objects was never a consideration. Things like this make this show more mature.

Master of New Adventures!
    It was a nice try, but I just don't think the interest is there to sustain this. Look at the numbers from 1, 2 and 3.

the girls and I watched tonight.
    I think for all three of us, this seemed to be our least favorite episode thus far. like the rest of you, the too-much-scientists was the problem. even both my little girls said they didn't really like them, and didn't like their voices and they were annoying. lol. I also personally loathe their ridiculous scrambling whenever the word "mutant" is uttered. Kylie said it was "kind of ok" that the mutant captured the scientists, since she didn't really like them anyway. she also really likes slushhead's voice.
    they just seem to always be bickering, and have a complete lack of dignity as they are characterized. Teela thought it was funny that they also annoyed skeletor.
    did skeletor's voice sound different to anyone else at the beginning? (I recognize it was the same actor, but it just sounded differently pitched or something....???)
    I found the "U.R, are you..." cute at first, but then it was overdone.
    visually, the look of the backgrounds and the smog/smoke effects in the Quagmi swamp were some highlights in the series thus far, and it was certainly cool to see the mutants/guardians battle there... and how the villains seemed to pose a true threat; and we all especially liked the music that played during that sequence.
    the girls liked seeing Karatti do some cool stuff in this episode (since they know him from having the toy), but they both still like the way he looks in toy form better.
    I, as always, enjoy the multiple uses of the power sword to deflect blasts!
    I don't know, something about the writing of He-Man's ultimatum to the mutants to release the scientists or lose their ship just seemed abit "off" or somehow not consistent with the rest of the episode...? I just felt this episode was very simple in that the scientists are needed to use the crystals to repair the trifusium generator, and the bad guys take them, and the good guys have to get them back... that's all there is, and yet even that is largely "lost" as a focus throughout the staging...? *shrug*
    anyway, hoping the girls find more to like in the next episode/s. I think the less scientists, the better, for all of us. lol.
    lastly, Teela with regard to the moral segment, said why don't they just use that freezing machine they have to cool down everything? (since, the focus of the main narrative is that the planet is heating up and they need to cool it.) LOL!

I like the little episode recaps to start the show.

Ah the scientists...they're voices are just so frantic and high pitched.

The NES Rob the Robot would have been a cooler robot to see.

Flipshot being a braggart....followed by the punk kid blabbing again.

The city they flew to reminds me of Cloud City. Kaz, please feel FREE to go look for a fight.

How about you do a better job watching Kaz, Drissy.

Haha, Slushhead getting praise from Skeletor was pretty funny.

How was there just a floating skull in the galaxy? Who's skull was it??

Haha Slushhead being so excited about his swamp was pretty good.

Decent fight sequence this round.

Nice body Crita

Like you were in any position to challenge He-Man, Flogg. Get real!

A moral before the end of show moral. #teamwork

Decent episode...the scientists got on my nerve a little bit, maybe I just need to get used to them more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It was a nice try, but I just don't think the interest is there to sustain this. Look at the numbers from 1, 2 and 3.
    Hush Debbie Downer! I'm enjoying it and will keep it going as long as we have as little as one fan participating!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Master of New Adventures!
    'Debbie Downer'? Excuse me? I finished Tony Horton's P90X3 program earlier this month and currently do 3,000 crunches on three days a week and three hundred push-ups -- okay, not all in one shot -- on three other days. So to you it's "Mr. Donald Downer."

- Love the recaps in the opening! They would have been a big help, back in the day, when you might not be sure to catch each episode in turn. With Netflix and the like, nowadays, I keep forgetting that I could go long stretches without seeing an episode of a show, and then tune in way later. That's why the old X-Men cartoon (as awesome as it was) was so confusing! Well....that, and the fact that some channels wouldn't show reruns in order. Kinda sucks when there's continuity.

- OH GOD THE SCIENTISTS! Hate to echo everyone else, but wow...they are like nails on a chalkboard. I think a good portion of it would be bearable if they just didn't have those voices! They're not even comical! They're just terrible, terrible voices. Beyond that, the antics are pretty standard for toons of the time, so it's not like that's the problem (or, at least, I can't fault them for it). It's just those voices!

- This episode felt really fast. I was trying to pinpoint it, and I think it was because there were so many scenes with the scientists, and I was just kinda waiting for those to be over, rather than really watching them. The interesting parts didn't come in until the end of the episode.

- Hey, Slushhead is happy to be home! Dunno why, but I like this.

- Skeletor had a good plan to trap them on dangerous terrain, but wow, did they not use it to their advantage. It seems like more of the episode could have taken place in that interesting locale. What other dangers lurk there? That's what grabs my attention. Seems like there could have been more there for Skeletor and the gang to take advantage of.

- Flogg REALLY loves that ship! Well, and the ability to get the heck out of that place. It's funny how Skeletor is actually at the mutants mercy. He still wants to use them, so he has to agree to let the scientist go, even if he doesn't care about the ship. You win your little army, but you lose the battle.

- Then it wraps up! Like I said, it felt a little fast. The Quagmi Swamp sounded and looked cool, and I would have liked to see more of a trap set there.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Great review Alexx!

I think reading all the scientist hate I read before hand prepared me for disapointment, because they didn't seem as bad as all that. They didn't add much though. The narcaleptic (spelling?) scientist was a weird bit and not funny.

Slushhead seemed pretty scary when grabbing the scientist. And it was nice hearing Skeletor compliment him on fufilling his task.

I liked the swamp world, though it was odd they wern't brought to the home base.

He-Man's trick with the laser web and the ship was clever, but it was funny he seemed to know what it was already.

A good episode.

I seem to have to watch each twice because I have to keep an eye on my 2 year old. Oh well.