Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What book concept should Dark Horse Books publish next?

I missed the vote I'm afraid, but I pretty much would love everything! I have all the new books so far, and I will definitely be buying the two we're getting next year. A book of all the card and box art from MOTU/POP/NA Of He-Man would be awesome though.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have all the new books so far, and I will definitely be buying the two we're getting next year.
    The ones coming next year though aren't from Dark Horse Books.

There's DC Omnibus He-Man of modern 2012-2016 comics up until Thundercats crossover. (with some vintage issue or two)

and then DC's TPB of Injustice vs MOTU
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

OK, but I'm still going to get them, the MOTU/DC/Thundercats Omnibus in particular looks awesome, and due to a few personal problems, I had fallen way behind in my comics collecting, so this will be the perfect chance to catch up.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    There's DC Omnibus He-Man of modern 2012-2016 comics up until Thundercats crossover. (with some vintage issue or two)

and then DC's TPB of Injustice vs MOTU
    OK - this is mildly interesting, but I don't collect any newer comics, including MOTU. There's too much out there, and I have to draw the line somewhere. Plus, I looked it up & the DC Omnibus of MOTU modern comics is quite pricey - even on sale.

That being said, I would definitely be onboard with two '80's comic collections: One of DC's minimal output of MOTU comics from the '80's - i.e., the DC Comics Presents #47 insert, as well as the three issue mini-series (1982). I'd also like to see a collection of Marvel's 13-issue MOTU Star Comics, which ran from 1986-1987. Unfortunately, due to the two different companies, I doubt we would see a combined DC/Marvel MOTU '80's collection.

At this point I had completely forgotten about any future projects from Dark Horse. I assumed we would have heard something by now if any new books were going to come out
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer_luvr View Post
    At this point I had completely forgotten about any future projects from Dark Horse. I assumed we would have heard something by now if any new books were going to come out
    Yes, it's too bad. Since 2015, I was used to new DH MOTU books coming out each year; we got two in 2015, one in 2016, and two in 2017. However, we got nothing in 2018, and there have been no new announcements for 2019.

In addition to collections of '80's Marvel & DC comics, I'd also like to see the aforementioned:

1) A book with all of the '80's MOTU toy box art, card art (including the drawings on the back of the cards, starting with some of the '83 releases/re-releases), and magazine covers & interior art (from the '80's MOTU mag.)

2) A book reprinting all of the '80's MOTU "Golden Books".

3) A book reprinting all of the '80's-200X's MOTU UK comics.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; December 30, 2018 at 07:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer_luvr View Post
    I still think we will get a toy guide book at some point due to posts I've seen on Facebook from Pixel Dan and others in the past.

If there is one thing I would like to do in this life, it's be a part of an awesome MOTU/POP/NA book project like the ones we've been collecting from Dark Horse. Other fans on the forum have had this honour, and I would love to do something similar, maybe represent Australia's interest in these fabulous properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I still think we will get a toy guide book at some point due to posts I've seen on Facebook from Pixel Dan and others in the past.
    This would be cool - including all eras, factions, and manufacturers between 1982 to 2019!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This would be cool - including all eras, factions, and manufacturers between 1982 to 2019!
    Awesome idea, Classic & New MOTU, Classic & New POP, NA Of He-Man, The 1987 Movie, all of it! As long as it has all the box and card art too.

If there is one thing I would like to do in this life, it's be a part of an awesome MOTU/POP/NA book project like the ones we've been collecting from Dark Horse. Other fans on the forum have had this honour, and I would love to do something similar, maybe represent Australia's interest in these fabulous properties.
    I've done my best to include a lot of fans on these book projects. And we've had a couple Australian fans involved, so I also try to spread the international love.

Some people want to know "How does Val pick who works on these?"
    It's pretty simple. Sometimes I pick them, other times I ask previous contributors who they'd suggest. Then it's narrowed down from there.
    It's always helpful when someone has PM'ed me (not posted) and has pitched themselves to me prior: they come to me and express interest, they lay out what they can do, and they provide a "resume" of what they've done. But I'm surprised how few people have done this.

• First, they need to have proven themselves online as someone who is professional. If they are online talking trash, or stirring up trouble, etc, they won't be considered. Or if I find out later they were not professional, they might get dropped or they won't be used on future projects. They also need to meet deadlines, and be able to work well with others.
    • Second, they need to have exhibited some sort of expertise, or at least strong interest, for the role they'd take on. It's also good when they know the material they want to work on. If they want to work on Filmaton cartoon material, it's preferable that they are a fan of that canon.
    Also, if they are to write entries, they have to have written Fanfics, or they wrote reviews, or they construct well-rounded posts; things of that nature. If they are to restore art, I need to be aware of their knowledge of the use of Photoshop, or that they have an artist's eye and can learn quickly what needs to be done. And so forth.
    • Third, they need to have a passion, and not be concerned about the money. Because, these books projects don't generate much in the way of money. I don't like to talk about this publicly, but I want to be frank with people and prepare them. But as an example, out of all the DH books I've worked on, when you add up how much I personally got paid VS what I spent, I currently am out of pocket on the books. But that's the level of dedication I felt was needed to make the project the best it could be. I didn't have to do that, but I wanted to. And while I make sure everyone else does get paid a little, I make it clear going into the books that money should not be the driving factor behind why someone is participating.

If someone did good on a previous project, I may use them again just because I know they are good in a pinch. And then other times, even if they were good, there may not be a need for their services because there isn't enough work on a new project to spread around. And other times I simply try to get new faces involved, regardless of the success of a previous participant.

So far it's been a great experience. Exhausting as heck! But a lot of fun helping to create resources that will be used for years to come.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Well, Val, you know by now that I am dedicated and passionate, and a fan of all the versions of the mythos. I'm not afraid of hard work and I can meet deadlines. I've had experience as a freelance writer, editor, and music journalist, so PR work is something I am noted for. Admittedly, I haven't written much fan-fiction but I have loads of ideas and the flexibility of working from home (when my fibromyalgia and arthritis aren't giving me too much trouble). I am honest, and I do not care about money, or fame really. I would just love to do my part for the mythos and represent He-Man.Org as best as possible. I do my best to work with and accommodate others.

I've had experience writing reviews and articles for various actors and musicians, namely Val Kilmer, Susan Cowsill, Jon Peter Lewis, Abby Travis, various members of The Bangles and The Go-Go's, and Cynthia Gibb to name a few. Val sent me a free CD and I managed to get a Christmas song of his played on the radio a few years back; Susan, Abby, and Jon have thanked me in their CD liner notes, and Cynthia invited me to tour with her Venice Voice Academy, I'm a charter member of Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project, and this is just a few of my accomplishments. I hope I'm not sounding boastful. I'll do my best to try and prove what I say is true.

I will admit I'm no great artist, but editing, writing and film studies are among my background if that helps. I love all aspects of the mythos, but POP is admittedly my favourite. Again, money isn't an issue, I just want to BE part of the mythos, as I've loved it all my life.
    Last edited by Mikey; January 7, 2019 at 09:40am.

Awesome idea, Classic & New MOTU, Classic & New POP, NA Of He-Man, The 1987 Movie, all of it! As long as it has all the box and card art too.
    Absolutely agree!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

If you mean a book showing the box art in its entirety, meaning how it was before it was covered up with logos and text, as well as cropped for the packaging, then that will never happen.
    Almost all of that artwork has been lost to time.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    If you mean a book showing the box art in its entirety, meaning how it was before it was covered up with logos and text, as well as cropped for the packaging, then that will never happen.
    Almost all of that artwork has been lost to time.
    The Grayskull Museum website has a lot of the artwork, but it's a shame if that can't be used, I love that website and I wish all the artwork could be immortalised in book form.

The Grayskull Museum website has a lot of the artwork, but it's a shame if that can't be used, I love that website and I wish all the artwork could be immortalised in book form.
    A great website run by some cool guys!
    But, I think you might want to revisit the site and refresh your recollection on just how much original, uncut, intact box art and card back art they have.

Again, you said in your post "all" the art. "Some" art would be doable, but would make such a toy guide feel incomplete if there was a smattering of original art.

I'm sure a toy guide would have photos of the packaging as it was with logos, and die-cut windows, etc. But no one could produce a book featuring all the original paintings & illustrations for the box art and card backs.

Heroic Warrior Long Live He-Man's Avatar
    Still surprised we don't have a toy guide book yet. Transformers, GI Joe and Star Wars have books.

It's time for the MOTU Toy Guide! Shoot, I'd even contribute to a Kickstarter if we can help get the book funded.

With the William Stout Collectors Choice wave coming out from S7 it makes me wonder if Dark Horse could work out a deal with Stout to do an art of the MOTU Motion Picture book.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    I'm still waiting (hoping) for the book with all of the C-A-C Contest entries. Ideally showing the submissions along with established artists renderings as well.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    I'm still waiting (hoping) for the book with all of the C-A-C Contest entries. Ideally showing the submissions along with established artists renderings as well.
    Did any of the art survive aside from the few that were showcased in MOTU magazine? I would think that the hundreds of amateur drawings probably looked similar to what I sent Mattel back then (pure crap), so I would imagine that they were tossed in the wastebasket upon inspection. But should anyone come across a character called "Rifle-Man" in that pile of crap, that has a gun for a face and gun-barrel shoes, then please don't publish it.

The Golden books would be nice. I remember having them as a kid and being amazed by the artwork.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Live He-Man View Post
    Still surprised we don't have a toy guide book yet. Transformers, GI Joe and Star Wars have books.

It's time for the MOTU Toy Guide! Shoot, I'd even contribute to a Kickstarter if we can help get the book funded.
    I think a KickStarter would help get this going forward. Some bonus content for early contributors would make me an early committer.

I think a KickStarter would help get this going forward. Some bonus content for early contributors would make me an early committer.
    If Dark Horse ever did a toy guide, they wouldn't use Kickstarter to fund it.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    If Dark Horse ever did a toy guide, they wouldn't use Kickstarter to fund it.
    As a subject matter expert, why do you think it is that the other major toy lines of the 80's have had toy guides, but not MOTU?

As a subject matter expert, why do you think it is that the other major toy lines of the 80's have had toy guides, but not MOTU?
    I'd say it depends more on when those other guides were made (AKA: how popular were those brands at the time), and by who (the author may have been a fan of those brands), as well as the size of the fandom of those lines (which means more interest in the book).

There are a lot of 80s toy lines that do not have toy guides.