Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What book concept should Dark Horse Books publish next?

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    None. I mean there's still people buying books in this digital era? I have the org database with most of the same art/concepts/infos for free reading. A digital version would be another story anyway
    To each his own. I would never buy a digital-only version and rarely (RARELY!) download or look thru digital copies of anything.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

None. I mean there's still people buying books in this digital era? I have the org database with most of the same art/concepts/infos for free reading. A digital version would be another story anyway
    Of course they are. Especially art books. Type "Why Print Still Matters" into Google and you'll find all kinds of reasons why digital isn't the end all and be all for lots of people.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    1. He-Man newspaper strip collection
    2. He-Man & She-Ra magazine collection (US magazine, UK magazine, etc)
    3. He-Man & She-Ra book collection (Golden books, Ladybird books, etc.)
    4. He-Man & She-Ra toy guide
    5. 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man cartoon guide
    6. Filmation She-Ra cartoon guide
    7. Filmation He-Man cartoon guide

Newspapers, and to a lesser degree, magazines, are disposable mediums. Most people throw them away, making complete collections of comic strips and magazines exceedingly rare. For this reason, I prioritized these, if only to preserve them for posterity, and to get them into the hands of more people.

Busta Toons did a great job with The Unofficial Cartoon Guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and had planned to do volumes on She-Ra: Princess of Power, The New Adventures of He-Man, and the Mike Young Productions Masters of the Universe, so I deprioritized those.

That leaves the book collection and the toy guide in the middle, and I would like to have a complete collection of the various licensed books above a toy guide, which is readily available in one form or another on the internet, so that is that.

A lot of people still want that tangible medium in their hands.. that collectible they can pull of their shelf. Especially our generation that grew up with books. The younger folks? Not as much, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Newspapers, and to a lesser degree, magazines, are disposable mediums. Most people throw them away, making complete collections of comic strips and magazines exceedingly rare. For this reason, I prioritized these, if only to preserve them for posterity, and to get them into the hands of more people.
    I agree. Those are items so few people have seen. I'd love to see them in a book.

Busta Toons did a great job with The Unofficial Cartoon Guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and had planned to do volumes on She-Ra: Princess of Power, The New Adventures of He-Man, and the Mike Young Productions Masters of the Universe, so I deprioritized those.
    I seem to recall that James talked about wanting to make his guide official if he could. Plus, could you imagine it with images as well? On top of that, I have no doubt he's collected even more info since he made that. He could go crazy with a bigger and better Filmation edition. Not to mention all the people out there on bookstores and comic shops who never saw his unofficial edition that never reached many people.

I'd be all over a book like that from James and Dark Horse!

It's the same reason they could reuse artwork in the Art of MOTU book that came from the Power and Honor book from a few years prior. Most people out there have never seen it. Only us hard core fans.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

My votes in order

1: Filmation He-Man cartoon guide
    2: He-Man newspaper strip collection
    3: He-Man & She-Ra book collection (Golden books, Ladybird books, etc.)
    4: He-Man & She-Ra toy guide
    5: He-Man & She-Ra magazine collection (US magazine, UK magazine, etc)
    6: 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man cartoon guide
    7: Filmation She-Ra cartoon guide

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    To each his own. I would never buy a digital-only version and rarely (RARELY!) download or look thru digital copies of anything.
    I will always prefer REAL hard copy books over digital, disposable, electronic data!!! Kindle is what I use to light the fire over here. Apparently they have internet on computers now...
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I agree. Those are items so few people have seen. I'd love to see them in a book.
    I agree the newspaper strip collection should be the next collection as they are so rare and so few people are have seen them even in MOTU fandom, it would be great to see them collected. Dark Horse did such a good job with collecting the Star Wars newspaper strips (even though they were released 20 years ago now) I'd love to see MOTU get the same treatment.

While I'd also LOVE to see the UK magazines/comics collected, at 102 issues (118 with the She-Ra issues) it would probably take several volumes and unfortunately I just don't see it happening.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Surprised there wasn't an option for a collection of the Marvel & DC MOTU comics of the 80's. Or even a collection of the UK comics (which would be really interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by chaosMonkeyPoo View Post
    Surprised there wasn't an option for a collection of the Marvel & DC MOTU comics of the 80's. Or even a collection of the UK comics (which would be really interesting).
    Submit it in the write-in!

But the UK comic magazines are there as part of the magazine collection.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

There have been 3 He-Man focused art
    Books.... Time for some Heavy She-Ra focus in the next
    Art book!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    There have been 3 He-Man focused art
    Books.... Time for some Heavy She-Ra focus in the next
    Art book!
    I agree that it would be great to see a second art book from Dark Horse!

But the problem with She-Ra content is there isn't a ton of behind the scenes material. There's the sketches, control art and color guides from the Filmation cartoon, and you saw some of that in this current book. But in terms of the vintage toy line, unless someone discovers some hidden cash of art that has eluded everyone all this time, the content you saw in this Art of He-Man book is fairly representative percentage-wise of what's out there.

Maybe collectors will discover more She-Ra art one day. But right now, the coffers are fairly empty for vintage She-Ra toy related art.

I hate to say it, but most or all of it may be gone for good. While some of the past Mattel employees took He-Man production art off the premises that was slated to be destroyed, the She-Ra art may have gone straight into the garbage.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    While I'd also LOVE to see the UK magazines/comics collected, at 102 issues it would probably take several volumes and unfortunately I just don't see it happening.
    Weren't later issues after the 72 somewhat reprinting stories, but in color?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Weren't later issues after the 72 somewhat reprinting stories, but in color?
    Actually now I count them with the She-Ra issues I get a grand total of #118.
    Masters of the Universe Magazine #72
    Masters of the Universe Adventure Magazine #28
    Princess of Power Magazine #15 (0-14)
    Specials #3 (MOTU, She-Ra, Twins of Power)

The Adventure Magazines usually had three stories, one of which was a reprint and two new ones up until #19 when they rebranded as He-Man Adventure Magazine and contained all new NA stories, then the last 4 issues where full reprints of previous stories but in full colour.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I would love a photo-art book of dioramas (of the quality we see on The Fwoosh) recreating the entire MOTUC Narrative.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Congratulations to the winners of our Dark Horse book poll!

Almost a 1000 fans voted on what He-Man and She-Ra book project they'd like to see next. Two random voters were selected who each received a copy of Dark Horse's Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe!

Congratulations to:
    Ryan H. from Michigan
    and
    Sammy C. from California

And as far as the results from the poll, your choices were sent to Dark Horse. But those will have to remain a secret for now. If Dark Horse does any new He-Man and She-Ra books, we don't want to spoil any possible surprises. Thanks again to everyone who voted!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    And as far as the results from the poll, your choices were sent to Dark Horse. But those will have to remain a secret for now. If Dark Horse does any new He-Man and She-Ra books, we don't want to spoil any possible surprises. Thanks again to everyone who voted!
    So that's a yes to 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man cartoon guide as number one vote from fans...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    So that's a yes to 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man cartoon guide as number one vote from fans...
    What th-?

I would like to see a whole book of the "The He-Manity" comic strips!
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

cyber-assassin
    I have both the art book (awesome) and am awaiting the mini comics collection (should be here monday). I'd love more collections. especially in hardback. Like the star comics, the 4 old dc ones, the newspaper strips, and the 200x series, the icons of evil series and one offs, even the old books and magazines. Further, I'd like them set up like this in different books. Like the complete star/dc, the complete 200x, the complete us magazine, the complete ladybird books, the complete golden book books. Come on people, Let's tell Dark Horse and Mattel what we want since this team-up seems to put out such amazing product.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

I would definitely be up for all of these things.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    I think the easiest one to do next would be all of the GOLDEN BOOKS and Kid Stuff combined. There is already a complete Berenstein Bears collection! I hope MOTU is next!

Golden
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=17&subid=29
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=17&subid=37
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=17&subid=10
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...d=17&subid=159
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=17&subid=35

Kid Stuff
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...?id=17&subid=9

I think Kid Stuff was owned by Golden Books, so one book for all of them would work.

- - - Updated - - -

Did 2002 Mike Young really win the poll? Did Golden Books win the poll?

- - - Updated - - -

What's the latest legal news on the MOTU Graphic Novels for DC and STAR? Can Dark Horse work on those?

BOOK 1: DC COMICS - MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

01. DC COMICS PRESENTS SUPERMAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: FROM ETERNIA WITH DEATH!
    02. SPECIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE PREVIEW: FATE IS THE KILLER!
    03. TO TEMPT THE GODS
    04. THE KEY TO CASTLE GRAYSKULL
    05. WITHIN THESE WALLS... ARMAGEDDON

BOOK 2: MARVEL/STAR COMICS - MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

01. MARVEL AGE: HE-MAN MUSCLES IN ON MARVEL!
    02. THE COMING OF HORDAK
    03. FALLING STARS
    04. THE GARDEN OF EVIL
    05. SNAKES ALIVE!
    06. MONSTROID
    07. FROM HERE TO ETERNIA
    08. LONG LIVE THE KING
    09. THE GATEWAY
    10. THE HATE STONES!
    11. COURAGE
    12. WHOSE ENEMY AM I ANYWAY
    13. THE MOTION PICTURE
    14. LIFETIME: PART ONE
    15. LIFETIME: PART TWO
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

1. He-Man newspaper strip collection (but PROPERLY COLORED all pages)

2. He-Man & She-Ra toy guide

Heroic Warrior
    1. Number one priority would definitely have to be the newspaper strip. Those things are so rare and hard to find, and I have only been able to read a few of them in my lifetime. A complete collection of them would definitely be considered an essential.

2. DC Comics (the old eighties dv comics, both the mini-series, and the specials with Superman.)

3. Star Comics (I loved those as a kid, and would love to have them collected)

4. A mini-comic follow-up, just to finish off the MOTUC mini-comics. Since there aren't that many, maybe they could be combined with something else.

5. He-Man and She-Ra magazine (Even just a collecton of the stores from the magazines would be fine)

6. The storybook collection (I never thought of this until a few people mentioned it above. This would be great as I had SO MANY of those books as a kid, and would love to re-collect them. There were the Kid Stuff, Golden Books, and even the Read-along book and tapes. If there was a way to collect those together, I would be all over that. Although it would be kind of funny because each series had their own versions of She-Ra's origin/Secret of the Sword, so to put them all in one book would be interesting.)

Still waiting for a full-color Collector's Guide to Vintage MOTU action figures (complete with info on prototypes, variants, packaging).

With similar publications already in existence for other 1980s action figure properties such as GI Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars, this seems long overdue.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'd love a toy guide of all the toylines over the years as well as statues, busts and playsets.

But after reading the mini comic collection, we need to have the UK comics compiled together as well as the Star Comics and any others. That would be awesome.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I'd love a toy guide of all the toylines over the years as well as statues, busts and playsets.

But after reading the mini comic collection, we need to have the UK comics compiled together as well as the Star Comics and any others. That would be awesome.
    A toy guide would be awesome. Include info & thumbs of variants on one page and then a full page color image of the regular retail version on the other. Thru all eras.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.