Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What book concept should Dark Horse Books publish next?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Not sure re-lettering would happen on a collection of the UK magazine. The idea thus far is to keep the books as archival as possible, when possible. Those UK versions of the German stories are what English-speaking fans know and have known for nearly 30 years. We also need to consider that the translations had to be approved by Mattel at the time, so they were approved canon. Therefore, I think the best one may get is an article in the collection explaining how they were translated, providing an example of potential differences.
    Should've clarified: I don't mean that if Dark Horse does a UK collection that they should alter Ehapa portion. What I meant is that if they do Ehapa collection as its own thing that a proper translation should be done. So in UK collection you'd have those as they were featured there and in Ehapa collection you'd have them as they were actually meant to be.
    Last edited by Grimbot; February 28, 2017 at 10:09pm.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Should've clarified: I don't mean that if Dark Horse does a UK collection that they should alter Ehapa portion. What I meant is that if they do Ehapa collection as its own thing that a proper translation should be done. So in UK collection you'd have those as they were featured there and in Ehapa collection you'd have them as they were actually meant to be.
    I would love that. Bring on both the complete UK and complete German comic collections in book form!

And while we're at it, how about all US, Brazilian, and Italian comics too?

I'd love to see collections of all of the above, plus all Golden Books, Ladybird Books, and comics from the US magazines.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; February 28, 2017 at 11:43pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Ah, okay. I gotcha.

I guess anything is possible!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I would love that. Bring on both the complete UK and complete German comic collections in book form!

And while we're at it, how about all US, Brazilian, and Italian comics too?

I'd love to see collections of all of the above, plus all Golden Books, Ladybird Books, and comics from the US magazines.
    One nice thing about the German Ehapa comics is they have those beautiful covers by Esteban Maroto, which didn't get re-used in the UK except for a few issues (The UK comics often attempted to redraw the same concept done by Maroto, but never came even a little close to the quality of Maroto's work ).

How about the foreign comics translated, the uk comics for both heman and shera

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    (2) scanning them degrades the quality, so those that have them are loathe to scan them and so by deteriorate them.
    Just want to say in case there's ever any movement on a UK magazine collection, I have almost every issue (missing Adventure 22, 24-28 & POP 3, 11, 13-14) and am happy for mine to be scanned. Message me if needed.

Cheers.

I'd love to to see all the packaging artwork collected together, boxes and cards.

I've also offerend my collection if it looks like the UK comic collection could happen.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I'd love to to see all the packaging artwork collected together, boxes and cards.
    Same here! I was a little disappointed in the Art of He-Man and MOTU book,since it didn't have all the box artwork from the figures and vehicles.I know they couldn't get all the artwork in there,but I thought the toy stuff was a given!It was a shame not to have all them Earl Norem magazine covers too,uncropped at that! Bring on an Art of MOTU book 2!!!!

Collectors Guide to Vintage MOTU Action Figures

IF a Collectors Guide to Vintage MOTU Toys existed...here's a very rough mock-up (using images online) of what a figure profile might include.

Again, this is just a visual example created specifically for this forum. I keep hoping that Dark Horse might pursue a publication regarding the Action Figure line responsible for the whole MOTU phenomenon. Beyond figures, playsets, and vehicles, the book could touch on catalog photos/ads, packaging, history, prototypes, foreign variants, and other useful info for the collector market.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Agreed! Specifically, I'd like to see a book containing:

-All MOTU '80's card & box artwork.

-All MOTU '80's magazine cover paintings & much of the interior art.

-Art from the various MOTU '80's storybooks.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    IF a Collectors Guide to Vintage MOTU Toys existed...here's a very rough mock-up (using images online) of what a figure profile might include.

Again, this is just a visual example created specifically for this forum. I keep hoping that Dark Horse might pursue a publication regarding the Action Figure line responsible for the whole MOTU phenomenon. Beyond figures, playsets, and vehicles, the book could touch on catalog photos/ads, packaging, history, prototypes, foreign variants, and other useful info for the collector market.
    One way to make a guide like this obsolete is to put current pricing information in it. I do not think many people would be happy purchasing a hardcover book with information in it that will be outdated in a year.

I also do not think concept art and character sketches are particularly relevant. I think people want to see the figure and its accessories, any production variations, the cross sell art and packaging, and so on. Essentially, anything that they would have seen when they purchased the figure. Otherwise, entries for He-Man and Skeletor would have to include things like Tor and Demo-Man—things that until fairly recently, very few were even aware.

I think it would be worthwhile, however, to include variations of a figure leading up to its release, like He-Man with a helmet or Teela with a gold spear for example—tangible things that were photographed, and not just ideas committed to a page.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    One way to make a guide like this obsolete is to put current pricing information in it. I do not think many people would be happy purchasing a hardcover book with information in it that will be outdated in a year.
    Agreed. No pricing info would go into such a guide.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Agreed. No pricing info would go into such a guide.
    Me thinketh he speaketh from a position of information.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I would really enjoy seeing Dark Horse put together a reprint collection of all of the '80's MOTU by Marvel's Star Comics. This was an underrated MOTU series, and I enjoyed seeing how it incorporated a lot of the then-new toys at the time. Here's a link with the covers:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/maste...rse/4050-3646/

I'd also like to see DH reprint the 3-issue DC comics mini-series; these were the first MOTU comics.

There were only 13 Star Comics issues & 3 DC issues, so 16 issues in all. This would possibly work best as a Trade Paperback & not necessarily a HC. However, I would buy this either way.

That being said, I'm not sure how licensing work work in this case. Even though Dark Horse has permission to do a lot of the recent MOTU-related books, can they also just reprint these Marvel & DC series without getting into a copyright issues with these respective companies?! I.e., do they have a license to reprint any and all older MOTU material (i.e. the mini-comics, newspaper strips, etc.) or is this limited?!
    Last edited by man-e-faces; May 16, 2017 at 02:57pm.

Heroic Warrior
    a set of tarot cards

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post

I'd also like to see DH reprint the 3-issue DC comics mini-series; these were the first MOTU comics.
    3 issues might not be enough for reprint-trade.

But add in the 2 specials also done by DC that _were_ the first ever ones of regular MOTU Comics, then you have something.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    To add to my last post, I would like to see a collection of the MOTU UK comic books that came out in the '80's. I remember I went to a comic store in the late '80's (here in the U.S.) and bought a couple of these (have no idea where they are now, however). They were oversized & thin/flimsy, but the stories & art were great. I do remember the art was both a combination of b&w & color.

That being said, the art in these UK comics is similar to the art that was seen in the newspaper strips (in the recently reprinted Dark Horse book). So, I'm not sure if the newspaper strip book has already reprinted all of these UK comics....it's been years since I read those UK comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    3 issues might not be enough for reprint-trade.

But add in the 2 specials also done by DC that _were_ the first ever ones of regular MOTU Comics, then you have something.
    Agreed. I was thinking more of a combined collection that included both the DC & Marvel Star comics. That would include more than enough issues to justify a Trade.

That being said, I would also be very interested in a Trade just reprinting the DC 3-issue mini series and the 2 specials - at least one of the specials pre-dated the mini-series, and was an "insert" in the regular DC comics at the time.

And, a separate Trade/HC reprinting the 13-issue Star comics series would be nice as well.

Both the DC & Marvel series were great in their own way. The DC series was "early" MOTU, and focused on the battle between He-man & Skeletor & the mythology behind the characters. Also, IIRC one issue even had an appearance by Superman - so, it was established that "Eternia" had a sort of "connection" to the DC universe.

Conversely, the Marvel Star Comic series took a different approach, and almost every issue showcased a lot of the new toys that were coming out at that time - in fact, IIRC the series was a de facto "advertisement" for the 1986-1987?! new MOTU toy releases. Note I don't mean this in a bad way - it was cool to see the new characters/vehicles make their way into the comic series.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; May 17, 2017 at 10:19am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    That being said, the art in these UK comics is similar to the art that was seen in the newspaper strips (in the recently reprinted Dark Horse book). So, I'm not sure if the newspaper strip book has already reprinted all of these UK comics....it's been years since I read those UK comics.
    Newspaper comic strips have different artist completely from the people who worked on the London Editions Comics.

That being said, I would also be very interested in a Trade just reprinting the DC 3-issue mini series and the 2 specials - at least one of the specials pre-dated the mini-series, and was an "insert" in the regular DC comics at the time.
    Both of the 2 specials by DC preceeded the mini-series.

April 8, 1982 - DC Comics Presents #47
    August 12, 1982 - "Daring New Adventures of Supergirl" #1 (MOTU Insert)

September 9, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 1/3 "To Tempt The Gods!"
    October 14, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 2/3 "The Key to Castle Grayskull!"
    November 11, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 3/3 "Within These Walls -- Armageddon!"
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Newspaper comic strips have different artist completely from the people who worked on the London Editions Comics.

Both of the 2 specials by DC preceeded the mini-series.

April 8, 1982 - DC Comics Presents #47
    August 12, 1982 - "Daring New Adventures of Supergirl" #1 (MOTU Insert)

September 9, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 1/3 "To Tempt The Gods!"
    October 14, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 2/3 "The Key to Castle Grayskull!"
    November 11, 1982 - Masters of the Universe 3/3 "Within These Walls -- Armageddon!"
    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't read the UK comics in almost 30 years, so have dim memories of what the art looked like.

Thanks also for the dates re: the DC comics re: the 2 specials and the comic series. Man, it's been about 35 years since I read these. I have no idea where my old floppies (individual comics) of these are - they're long gone.

What I'd most like for Dark Horse to tackle:

1. A vintage Mattel MOTU toy guide
    2. A compilation of the 13-issue Star Comics run
    3. A New Adventures / 2002 Reboot Episode Guide
    4. A MOTU coloring book (either a compilation of vintage coloring book pages, or an all-new "adult" coloring book with more intricate illustrations)
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post

4. A MOTU coloring book (either a compilation of vintage coloring book pages, or an all-new "adult" coloring book with more intricate illustrations)
    I'd buy each of these!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Number 4 definitely

Heroic Warrior

I'd definitely be onboard for #1 & #2 above.

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    I'm up for just about anything as everything has been incredible so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that a vintage toy guide is on the horizon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"