Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your questions for Mondo about their upcoming 1:6 scale MOTU action figure line!

Post your questions for Mondo about their upcoming 1:6 scale MOTU action figure line!

As originally posted over at Idle Hands, we found out that Mondo is going to be making a licensed line of Masters of the Universe figures.

According to Mondo's Creative Director-Toys/Collectibles Brock Otterbacher, "The idea is to take the basic designs of the original figures, some of the art from the original mini comics and packaging, add a bit of realism to them, along with a bit of our own tastes, and create a series of high-end figures that fans like us would be stoked to have. Designed by Dave Rapoza. Sculpted by Ramirez Studios. EPIC."

All we've seen so far is the teaser below. They're keeping very hush about things until MONDOCON this October. But they are up for doing a Q&A with fans to let you know whatever info they can share before the con!

So please post your questions below about the upcoming and still mysterious MOTU action figure line from Mondo!

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Should the initial figures of He-Man and Skeletor do well sales-wise, what can fans expect in terms of character selection for possible future figures? Would Mondo stick strictly to the '80s Mattel toy characters, or would they dip into either of the cartoon series or perhaps even the roster of concept characters that were never produced as toys?

- What material will the figures be made of? (pure plastic or do they have cloth elements etc?)

- What should we expect in the way of the articulation? For instance when compared to Classics line?

- Will they come with display base or do they just stand perfectly on their own?

Hey gang! Thanks for havin me! I'll be popping in over the next couple of days to answer what questions I can. Let's begin!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Should the initial figures of He-Man and Skeletor do well sales-wise, what can fans expect in terms of character selection for possible future figures? Would Mondo stick strictly to the '80s Mattel toy characters, or would they dip into either of the cartoon series or perhaps even the roster of concept characters that were never produced as toys?
    Due to the the potential SRP of these pieces, and how broad of an appeal we'd like to have, expect us to cover classic characters to begin. This doesn't mean we won't get weird sometimes, and nothing is off the table.

Also, we'll be pulling inspiration from many different sources, not just the original figures & toon.

Is there any interest at Mondo in acquiring the license for She-Ra, Princess of Power characters if the MOTU figures do well?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    - What material will the figures be made of? (pure plastic or do they have cloth elements etc?)

- What should we expect in the way of the articulation? For instance when compared to Classics line?

- Will they come with display base or do they just stand perfectly on their own?

- The majority of the figures will be plastic, but there will be some cloth elements, like capes, and the like. We're also looking into fake furs for loincloths, and that sort of thing. Keep in mind these are still in development, so things could change, but all that said should be feasible. It'll really depend on how it looks.

- Expect a lot of articulation. The great thing about this scale is you can have a lot of great articulation without compromising the sculpt too much. That's while I love this scale!

- Still TBD about the display base, but the figures should stand fine on their own, regardless of if a base is included or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Is there any interest at Mondo in acquiring the license for She-Ra, Princess of Power characters if the MOTU figures do well?
    We have rights to She-Ra and all associated characters.

1.) Any thoughts on things like die cast weapons? I'm a bit torn on them, but for certain items like swords they can be neat.

2.) So, it sounds like these won't be so much like, say, Hot Toys figures that use a base body and have unique cloth clothing? They might be more molded plastic with only specific cloth elements? Do I have that right?

3.) Proportion-wise, should we expect a bulkier body or something closer to the standard 1/6 body?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to these!
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Quote Originally Posted by brockotter View Post
    YES!!!! That was going to be my question. You can put me down for a She-Ra and Catra, please.

From MOTU (besides He-Man and Skeletor), I'm interested in the Sorceress, Teela, Evil-Lyn and Hordak. King Hiss might be amazing too...with all those articulated snakes...

QUESTION: If you guys are happy with sales/interest in He-Man and Skeletor, would you be up for making display bases/dioramas? For example: Castle Grayskull's Jawbridge/door, Skeletor's throne...stuff like that.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I too am interested to know if these will have varying body sizes. For example will characters like He-Man, Ram Man and Beastman have larger bodies than say Skeletor, Man-At-Arms and Tri-Klops?

Will parts like He-Man's power harness or his gauntlets be removable?

Thank you for taking our questions.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

- The majority of the figures will be plastic, but there will be some cloth elements, like capes, and the like. We're also looking into fake furs for loincloths, and that sort of thing. Keep in mind these are still in development, so things could change, but all that said should be feasible. It'll really depend on how it looks.

- Expect a lot of articulation. The great thing about this scale is you can have a lot of great articulation without compromising the sculpt too much. That's while I love this scale!

- Still TBD about the display base, but the figures should stand fine on their own, regardless of if a base is included or not.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! Liking everything you are saying here. Congrats on the license and really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. The thought of vintage figures retooled with more realistic detail is exciting to say the least!
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

You just earned a customer. I now feel like I will heartily invest in this line.

Would you consider partnering with writers/illustrators to include mini comics?
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    1.) Any thoughts on things like die cast weapons? I'm a bit torn on them, but for certain items like swords they can be neat.

2.) So, it sounds like these won't be so much like, say, Hot Toys figures that use a base body and have unique cloth clothing? They might be more molded plastic with only specific cloth elements? Do I have that right?

3.) Proportion-wise, should we expect a bulkier body or something closer to the standard 1/6 body?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to these!
    1- I'm not a fan, only because they can restrict what countries you can import them to. Some countries view items like diecast swords as "weapons." So we're going to stick materials that are not an issue with customs. As a fan, they are neat, I'll give you that.

2- The last half of your statement is pretty correct.

3- Expect something more bulky than a standard 1/6 body, but a bit more realistic than say blowing up the MOTUC body to 1/6 scale. But still stylized. They're going to be our own thing.

And you're welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

QUESTION: If you guys are happy with sales/interest in He-Man and Skeletor, would you be up for making display bases/dioramas? For example: Castle Grayskull's Jawbridge/door, Skeletor's throne...stuff like that.
    I've been looking at the throne. Would love to have it for myself, so that's a possibility. As for the Grayskull door- nothing is out of the question, though you're more likely to see Battle Cat and Panthor before that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    I too am interested to know if these will have varying body sizes. For example will characters like He-Man, Ram Man and Beastman have larger bodies than say Skeletor, Man-At-Arms and Tri-Klops?

Will parts like He-Man's power harness or his gauntlets be removable?

Thank you for taking our questions.

Regarding the bodies- expect us to model our line in a similar fashion to how Mattel has traditionally done their lines. It helps save on tooling costs, and allows for more characters, so He-Man and Skeletor will share the same body. That said, there will be unique bodies for some characters.

Armor/gauntlets will be removable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    You just earned a customer. I now feel like I will heartily invest in this line.

Would you consider partnering with writers/illustrators to include mini comics?

Awesome!

For mini comics, probably not. We don't have publishing rights, and to be honest, I love the idea of doing a line that exists outside of the various canons. That way we can pull from various iterations, and not worry about keeping in line with a particular one, or creating a story as to why we went one way, and another.

What is the Price range you guys are shooting for the initial figures? This all sounds very cool, but Mattel has some big name items coming up, so budgets will be tight for the next year. It would be nice to plan you guys in early.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    What is the Price range you guys are shooting for the initial figures? This all sounds very cool, but Mattel has some big name items coming up, so budgets will be tight for the next year. It would be nice to plan you guys in early.
    We don't have a final SRP yet, but seeing as out TMNT figures are around $150, I would expect MOTU to be $200 or less. This, of course, isn't guaranteed, but is an educated guess. Keep in mind that when a figure goes up, it's a pre-order. We should have our deposit system in place before then, so unlike now, where you pay full price up front and then wait for it to get through production to get the item, we'll take a small deposit up front, and charge the balance when it ships.

We're hoping to eventually introduce a payment plan, where you make small payments leading up to the product shipping (if you're familiar with Sideshow, then you might know their flexpay system. It would be similar to this). All this is in an effort to still bring you high-end collectible figures, without assaulting your wallet/purse/coin bag too much at once.

We don't have a final SRP yet, but seeing as out TMNT figures are around $150, I would expect MOTU to be $200 or less. This, of course, isn't guaranteed, but is an educated guess. Keep in mind that when a figure goes up, it's a pre-order. We should have our deposit system in place before then, so unlike now, where you pay full price up front and then wait for it to get through production to get the item, we'll take a small deposit up front, and charge the balance when it ships.

We're hoping to eventually introduce a payment plan, where you make small payments leading up to the product shipping (if you're familiar with Sideshow, then you might know their flexpay system. It would be similar to this). All this is in an effort to still bring you high-end collectible figures, without assaulting your wallet/purse/coin bag too much at once.
    Agh, I understand the quality will likely be very high, but that's well beyond my price range...I was hoping for something cheaper than the Mattel Giants...something like $59.99 US This might force me to become a cherry picker...if that's even financially do-able. How many figures do you plan on releasing per year if the line proves successful and goes beyond He-Man and Skeletor?
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerofGygor View Post
    Agh, I understand the quality will likely be very high, but that's well beyond my price range...I was hoping for something cheaper than the Mattel Giants...something like $59.99 US This might force me to become a cherry picker...if that's even financially do-able. How many figures do you plan on releasing per year if the line proves successful and goes beyond He-Man and Skeletor?
    These will be a lot more articulated, with not as many produced as the Mattel Giants (I'm assuming, since I have no idea how many they made), so unfortunately they will be priced higher. I can understand how this may make it seem out of some fans' price ranges, hence introducing deposit and payment systems.

In terms of how many we'd like to do a year- I'm hoping to get out 4-6.

At the very least I'm certainly going to try and get He-Man and Skeletor, providing they are closer to the $150 price range...the payment plan will certainly help those of us (like me lol) who are strapped for cash. So aside from the figure itself what else does this buy us in terms of bonus accessories? What will be packaged with the figures? Can we expect display stands?
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerofGygor View Post
    At the very least I'm certainly going to try and get He-Man and Skeletor, providing they are closer to the $150 price range...the payment plan will certainly help those of us (like me lol) who are strapped for cash. So aside from the figure itself what else does this buy us in terms of bonus accessories? What will be packaged with the figures? Can we expect display stands?
    See my answer above about the display stands. As for what the figures come with- you'll have to wait and see!

Some lines take great effort to hide articulation points, what approach are you taking with Masters figures? They are fairly low on clothing so I presume only something like rubber skin would work to hide articulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Some lines take great effort to hide articulation points, what approach are you taking with Masters figures? They are fairly low on clothing so I presume only something like rubber skin would work to hide articulation?
    Our intent is not to try to hide articulation, but rather embrace it. I'm a big fan of Japanese figure lines, like Figma and Play Arts, which do a great job of having fantastic articulation, while still looking clean.

I'm not a fan of rubber skins.

Brockotter, Skeletor is a no brainer for additional heads, are there plans for different he-man heads? Thanks for responding to the fans!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Brockotter, Skeletor is a no brainer for additional heads, are there plans for different he-man heads? Thanks for responding to the fans!
    I'm hoping you will be pleasantly surprised when you see what the figures come with.

Our intent is not to try to hide articulation, but rather embrace it. I'm a big fan of Japanese figure lines, like Figma and Play Arts, which do a great job of having fantastic articulation, while still looking clean.

I'm not a fan of rubber skins.
    Yay! Rubber skins usually hinder movement and are prone to breakage over time. Very good news, to me.

- One question/thought on packaging - are you very far along on packaging designs yet? Any plans to mimic the vintage "red rocks" look? Also—just a suggestiong—I very much like what Big Chief Studios have done with their packaging, where the front three sides is magnetically attached, and comes off to be a backdrop for your figure. It's so clever, and something I'd love to see in this line. It's great for display purposes.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Hopefully you can confirm She-Ra is comming soon? There are a number of fans who will not get behind new MOTU product until we have been reassured the Princess of Power is coming. As the third keystone character in the entire MOTU Universe She-Ra is as essential as He-Man and Skeletor. Hopefully you will reassure the POP fans she will be a part of this project..... It will open more wallets to support the new figures!
    Last edited by Angel-T; August 3, 2015 at 02:49pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Hopefully you can confirm She-Ra is comming soon? There is a section of the fan community who will not support new MOTU product until we have been reassured the Princess of Power is coming. As the third keystone character in the entire MOTU Universe She-Ra is as essential as He-Man and Skeletor. Hipefully you will reassure the POP fans she will be a part of this project..... It will open more wallets to support the new figures!
    We're not looking to confirm any other characters besides He-Man and Skeletor at this point. Apologies for not being able to reassure you, but I can say there was a concerted effort to make sure She-Ra was part of our rights.