Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which character from MOTU do you dislike most?

Widget

Which character from MOTU do you dislike most?

I was wondering if there were any particular character or characters that people particularly dislike from Masters of the Universe?

For me having just got into the MOTUC line having previously been a fan during the Mid 80s I tend to compare what I'm seeing to my memories of the franchise as a child. As a result I don't particularly like Despara as she is very different to how Adora was she was portrayed in Secret of the Sword (which was my favourite part of the Filmation series as a child).

I don't know why, but I have always disliked Stratos. Contrary to that, my favorite has always been Mekaneck.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation Prince Adam! Perhaps the worst character of the whole franchise. A clown, a one dimensional lazy, useless person that transforms to a barbarian hero. Please come on. It was completely retarded even for 5 years old impressionable kids. Basically ruined He-Man for me back then. Completely disrespectful to He-Man's origins too.

And Despara is the best depiction of Adora ever! I wasn't such a fan of the red dressed naive Barbie that Filmation cartoon made Adora, and her story was reaaally forced, even for a children cartoon. But i' m fanatic fan of Despara and DC Adora. I absolutely love DC Adora/Despara background story. Her story as a character has way more depth and tragic elements than Filmation Adora ever had. DC Adora is the Imperator Furiosa of the MOTU franchise to He-Man's Mad Max(not only siblings, but "brothers in arms")!
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 4, 2015 at 11:57am.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Orko, Twiggets, Lookie...basically any cutesy characters. And don't get me started on Plundor and Crackers...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I have always violently disliked (this is me "sugar-coating" it) Stonedar and Rokkon. Two don't-quite-fit-the-line figures with the exact same awful "gimmick", these guys were absolutely EVERYWHERE during 1986, and had (by my count) at least FIVE mildly differing versions of their origin story. "UGH!" They were also both notorious "Peg Warmers" in my area, there was no escaping row after row of Rock People while searching for actual interesting figures like Snout Spout (yes, I said it!) and Extendar. In early 1988, our local Salvation Army Store got in more than two dozen shelf-worn, but MOC (and unsold) store left-overs of these figures.

For me, Stonedar and Rokkon are the "Jumped The Shark" characters for Masters of The Universe.

I have always had a fairly strong dislike for Grizzlor. Base as it may seem, he just comes across as a poor man's BeastMan, but lacking any of the character's more interesting talents. I don't know, my be I'm missing something in Grizzlor but it seems like they wasted a perfectly good spot on Team Evil that could have gone to someone more interesting.

That being said, from what I'm reading in Eternity War, I'm not really jiving with this version of Shadow Weaver, which is a shame since she was one of my favorites in the old series. It just feels like they've diminished her impact by trying to force a needlessly "tragic" backstory on here. Give me the Shadow Weaver who got fed up with always being shown up by a girl half her age and ultimately made a Faustian deal she has no regrets about.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I have always violently disliked (this is me "sugar-coating" it) Stonedar and Rokkon. Two don't-quite-fit-the-line figures with the exact same awful "gimmick", these guys were absolutely EVERYWHERE during 1986, and had (by my count) at least FIVE mildly differing versions of their origin story. "UGH!" They were also both notorious "Peg Warmers" in my area, there was no escaping row after row of Rock People while searching for actual interesting figures like Snout Spout (yes, I said it!) and Extendar. In early 1988, our local Salvation Army Store got in more than two dozen shelf-worn, but MOC (and unsold) store left-overs of these figures.

For me, Stonedar and Rokkon are the "Jumped The Shark" characters for Masters of The Universe.
    Seriously, what was the thinking behind these being fun toys? I get the same feeling of confusion whenever I see Rock Lords. (And to a lesser extent Meteorbs, though at least their at - modes had a certain cosmic coolness factor to them.) I would sincerely love to hear how that pitch meeting went. They turn into rocks, how is that fun?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post

That being said, from what I'm reading in Eternity War, I'm not really jiving with this version of Shadow Weaver, which is a shame since she was one of my favorites in the old series. It just feels like they've diminished her impact by trying to force a needlessly "tragic" backstory on here. Give me the Shadow Weaver who got fed up with always being shown up by a girl half her age and ultimately made a Faustian deal she has no regrets about.
    Diminished her impact? Are you kidding? The DC Shadow Weaver is far more central and crucial character in the DC MOTU mythos, than the Filmation counterpart ever was. She is basically the reason of why Adora preserved her humanity, she taught Skeletor the Dark Arts, and saved him from his cruel destiny, and at the end sacrificed her life for Adora. If it wasn't for Shadow Weaver, neither Skeletor or Adora would be alive. Instead of being an one dimensional villain, the tragic background added a lot more depth to her character, and also in the DC continuity she paid a very high price for her powers, instead of just an appearance change or simple deform. DC Shadow Weaver is a far more complicated character than the Filmation version.
    Last edited by granamyr80; August 4, 2015 at 07:45pm.

The Mighty Spector

What a waste of a character......

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Seriously, what was the thinking behind these being fun toys? I get the same feeling of confusion whenever I see Rock Lords. (And to a lesser extent Meteorbs, though at least their at - modes had a certain cosmic coolness factor to them.) I would sincerely love to hear how that pitch meeting went. They turn into rocks, how is that fun?
    Now you put it like that they do sound like the transforming sky scraper from the film Big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHF_hYi-5vI

Man-At-Arms always annoyed me as a Child.
    For the Best in Toy Reviews!!
    http://www.askkevanything.com

Maybe Blast Attak - visually he's out of place with every other character. Also Rio Blast, although I'd like him in another context.

Heroic Warrior
    Ninjor.

Ninjor.

Ninjor.

..I heard that if you say his name 3 times he will appear.

If we're just talking about the original batch of MOTU characters before the Classics expansion, then, for unknown reasons, I would say Stratos. Just never took to him. Including Classics, though? Sorry, but Mighty Spector wins hands down.

This is actually really hard! Madam Razz always made me want to stick a fork in my eye as a kid. And I just never connected with the movie-only characters at all - and harbour particular resentment toward Gwildor and Blade for some reason (though I'm happy for those that love them). Plundor and Bow are up there too.

I think it I had to pick one, it would be Razz just because she's so persistently grating.

I'm interested to see Stratos and MAA above (particularly given Stratos is just about my favourite character) - just goes to show what an awesome job MOTU has done appealing to many different tastes!

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Spector.
    I don't consider him a MOTU character. More like a 90's crossover character, Dead Pool meets Power Rangers.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Not a fan of the cute characters: Orko, Razz, the Twiggets, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I don't consider him a MOTU character. More like a 90's crossover character, Dead Pool meets Power Rangers.
    When i read the title of this thread my first intension was Spector too! But then i was waiting for days because i'm not really sure of he is really a MOTU character.

He is the only character that showed up in the MOTU universe (inkl. all characters like Plundor) that make the brand poorer then richer!

But i think he is more a MOTUC joke who never made the jump in MOTU (regardless of his role in the MOTUC Mini-Comics and a mentioning in the first DC Sir Laserlot comic)

That's been said, i think there is no MOTU character that i dislike. Maybee i would not spent money for every figure!

Oh... i really dislike the christmas song in the 80s christmas special... reeeally dislike! But that was not the question !
    Last edited by king.of.grayskull; August 6, 2015 at 03:36am.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Rio-Blast, hands-down. I have never understood the appeal of the "wild west"--let alone on Eternia. *shudder*
    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Facebook

To the Powers that Be: Give me a proper King Miro figure, please!!

My most disliked character is Man-e-Faces. On paper Man-e-Faces is similar in concept to Tri-Clops in that they both have a swivel changer head. The problem is Man-e-Faces as a toy was just so poorly designed and executed. He looks like half man half garbage can. I could never get into playing with this toy nor did I ever like seeing him in the cartoons.

Man-E-Faces you get the official seal of rejection:

Last edited by InThe80s; August 6, 2015 at 07:12pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I dislike poorly designed fan-made characters shoe-horned into the brand, that and pink alien bunnies.

Anything that makes MOTU look like a playground for 5 year olds.

Plundort looks like coming from Alice in Wonderlands, I dislike this one

I have trouble with a lot of characters that just feel like filler or toy adverts. Trap Jaw never really seemed to be all that funny/interesting to me, but then neither was Tri-Clops until 200X.

Hmmm....this is a toughie.

I love Razz, Broom, Kowl and like the Twiggets and Orko. Other "cute" characters not so much....

Heroic Warrior
    ok.
    People better stop hating on Plundor ..

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Orko, Twiggets, Lookie...basically any cutesy characters. And don't get me started on Plundor and Crackers...
    Yeah the filmation brigade of silly/cute characters never appealed to me, even as kid I remember being annoyed at how the animated series differed so much from the mini-comics. That said as an adult collector I think the figures I dislike the most are easily the SOH gang. IMHO some of the worst designs and story elements ever introduced into the property. That splash page from the new mini-comic where Spector is hanging upside down next to Dare, Laser Lot, King He-Man, UNO, and Skeleteen makes me physically cringe every time I see it. It's all just so awful.