Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saryn in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Marvel has different universe's and they are called that Ultimate,Zombie Verse etc. MOTU has never had that so why now???

Oh so in a robot chicken episode then Orko becomes He-Man and that's in canon? No but it's multiverse and not part of CANON Canon is the real universe (Like Marvel,DC has) MOTU has all of these as a PART except for Robot Chicken,Fan Fiction,etc. Why are other companies allowed to change the mythos??

When you had artists write stories or draw Comics for Star Wars it had to be approved by Lucasfilm and THEY decided (Disney now) what canon was and most fans accept it MOTU should have something like this because anyone can MAKE UP any story etc.
    The stories and the desings, everything are coming from Mattel, not DC. The stories in DC comics have been written by Rob David who is Mattel's Head Writer and the designs coming from Mattel's designer Gabriel De La Torre. DC can't do nothing without Mattel's approval, except just pubblish the comics. Everything comes from Mattel, DC has not any power in the comic book, because MOTU is a licenced property.

And the idea of Multiverse has been introduced recently in order to put an end to the "era or canon wars". MOTU (which not similar to Star Wars, because the last one always had a coherent story), since its conception it had a loose continuity. In a less than a year He-Man changed from a warrant tribal barbarian in the mini comics, to a fancy playboy prince in the cartoons. King Grayskull wasn't an ancestor of He-Man in the 80's, He-Ro, was and there are many other examples of conflicted continuities (Marlena was not from Earth in the 200X series, like she was in the 80's or she still is in the DC Comics and the Classics). So Mattel put an end to this, with the introduction of the Multiverse concept, so every Canon pubblished so far is valid and can be accepted as a part of a larger Multiverse. This way the current and future creators that work on MOTU, will have the creativity freedom to bring new and fresh stories, without having to deal with past often conflicted and loose continuities. And the fans can have their own canons as well, something not alien, when it comes to action figures properties.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 7, 2015 at 07:49pm.

Why is it that MOTU/She-Ra is the ONLY line where anyone can make up their own "canon"

It conflicts with what Mattel is doing...

I remember Toyguru stating that anyone can interpret their form of "Cannon" doesn't that nullify the term canon? There has to be some sort of story/background
    To be fair, MOTUC doesn't even keep this straight. King Grayskull's original bio said he fell before Hordak's magic but in the mini-comics he survives Hordak's defeat and He-Ro dies in his place. As far as MOTU being the only line where anyone can make up their own canon, DC isn't just anyone and compared to how CN reworked Thundercats, the King Grayskull thing is pretty minor. In fact I think it's one of the few changes that actually improves on what was done in MYP and on the KG character as it makes him a little more human.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    To be fair, MOTUC doesn't even keep this straight. King Grayskull's original bio said he fell before Hordak's magic but in the mini-comics he survives Hordak's defeat and He-Ro dies in his place. As far as MOTU being the only line where anyone can make up their own canon, DC isn't just anyone and compared to how CN reworked Thundercats, the King Grayskull thing is pretty minor. In fact I think it's one of the few changes that actually improves on what was done in MYP and on the KG character as it makes him a little more human.
    Yes but the MAJOR cannon (Not alternate world/what if etc.) stays the same pretty much when it c ones to Marvel/DC/Star Wars etc. as well as others the MAIN MOTU should have a main and go with it and let the others be mentioned as branches or different realities....

Heroic Warrior
    Yes but the MAJOR cannon (Not alternate world/what if etc.) stays the same pretty much when it c ones to Marvel/DC/Star Wars etc. as well as others the MAIN MOTU should have a main and go with it and let the others be mentioned as branches or different realities....
    Not necessiraly. In DC there is not a major canon. The main current DC Universe is the N52, which is different from the previous main pre-Flashpoint DC canon. As for Marvel uses another tricky way to change a canon, it's called retcon. For example Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, were known to be Magneto's children. Now because of the Avengers and the movie rights Marvel retconed that, and they are not anymore related to him, and they are not even mutants as well. Spider-Man's marriage been retconned is another example.This has been a constant element in the big comic book franchises. Through reboots or retcons, the stories, the origins and the characters themselves change through time, major canon or not, in order to keep the fans interested. MOTU is no different from this point of view And let's admitt it, every MOTU fan has its own favorite canon, official or not. The difference is how much favorite or less a MOTU canon is.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 7, 2015 at 08:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Not necessiraly. In DC there is not a major canon. The main current DC Universe is the N52, which is different from the previous main pre-Flashpoint DC canon. And Marvel uses another tricky way to change a canon, it's called retcon. For example Scarlet Witch and Quicklsilver, were known to be Magneto's children. Now because of the Avengers and the movie rights Marvel retconed that, and they are not anymore related to him, and they are not even mutants as well. As for MOTU every fan has its own favorite canon, official or not.
    You guys don't get it I'm thru trying to explain it over and over....

Before I go

Iron Man is Tony Stark right?? Not Arno Stark or James Rhodey?? 99.9% of the world knows and accepts Tony as IM

And sorry but just because something is a phase or a retcon it still doesn't change what they were...Oh and just because Sam Wilson is Cap in the comics NOW that's means that he is Cap from now on? No!

The reason the twins are not related to Magneto (or Mutants) is because of the war between Fox/Disney they still are in the majority of the history (see that) what is a trend is a trend when they keep that type for 30+ years then maybe I can see but nope

Enough said...
    Last edited by Megalodon; September 7, 2015 at 08:49pm.

I support this character. I feel we need a female Gar in our collection and she serves a legitimate purpose.

Heroic Warrior

Before I go

Iron Man is Tony Stark right?? Not Arno Stark or James Rhodey?? 99.9% of the world knows and accepts Tony as IM

And sorry but just because something is a phase or a retcon it still doesn't change what they were...Oh and just because Sam Wilson is Cap in the comics NOW that's means that he is Cap from now on? No!

The reason the twins are not related to Magneto (or Mutants) is because of the war between Fox/Disney they still are in the majority of the history (see that) what is a trend is a trend when they keep that type for 30+ years then maybe I can see but nope

Enough said...
    How many times Wolverine's Origins had changed through time? Once he was a mutant and the other was a descendant of mutant dogs.

Magneto was the person that killed Jean Grey during Morrison's run, only to be retconed few issues later, after Morrison left the X-Men.

What about Spider-Man's marriage that has been retconed and till now Peter is not with MJ (apart from the current alternative Secret Wars mini)?

In King Grayskull's case, in DC comics he is still He-Man's ancestor and he still died in Preternian times. What changed from one canon to another is just the way that he died. If you asked me the big change was not that, but that suddenly in the 200X series KG was presented as He-Man's ancestor, when in the 80's and for the Vintage fans was He-Ro that had supposed to have this role and still many fans don't accept KG, as He-Man's ancestor (and don't get me wrong personally i love KG and consider him a great character, but i also understand the MOTU fans that prefer He-Ro as the main He-Man's ancestor, for this reason was very glad, when in the DC canon He-Ro turned to be King Grayskull's son and consequently he was restored as part of He-Man's bloodline). So you see ultimately there is no main canon in MOTU. It's what story/continuity each MOTU fan consider as his/her favorite. Personally i prefer to read/watch good epic stories, about He-Man and Co, rather than follow religiously a canon. If the stories and the characters are good, in which canon they belong is a far secondary matter.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 7, 2015 at 09:23pm.

I know you're done, but I don't consider specifics about King Grayskull's death to be the same as MAJOR canon. In the new version he still died in the past after saving Eternia from Hordak. That's the major part and they kept it intact. So, rather than die on the battlefield, he was weakened from battle and murdered by traitors who feared he was going to become a despot. It's not like his death had to unfold in a very specific way like Uncle Ben or the Waynes. It's kind of the difference between Donner's Jor-El and Bruce Timm's Jor-El (or Snyder's, but IMO flying dragons on Krypton was dumb). As I recall even the MVC comics wanted to cast the events of that MYP episode as a broad retelling of KG's tale in order to allow more room for other characters and details like He-Ro.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

Heroic Warrior

Before I go

Enough said...
    I understand fine thank you - DC has used 5 'major cannons' with major differences as big as and bigger than who killed King Grayskull - Earth 2 (up until '55), Earth 1 (up until '86), Post-Crisis (up until '94), Post-Zero Hour aka The Original Universe (up until whenever Infinite Crisis came out), Earth 0 (post Infinite crisis) and now the Nu52 Earth 0 (post Flashpoint) plus the different incarnations of the 30th Century, Earth 2 and others that go with them. Aside from the most obvious comparison - who killed Batman's parents - we have huge differences like characters existing or not, which is a bit of a bigger change than the Saryn case here, hell the Nu52 earth wiped out an entire generation of heroes.
    And of course just about every new media they put out is in it's own universe - The Superman serials, The 60's Batman show, the Wonder Woman show, The Superfriends, The Christopher Reeve Superman films, The Batman films, the DC Animated universe, the Nolan Batman films, Brave and the Bold. It's almost exactly the same the He-Man.
    Marvel is a slightly poorer comparison because it has maintained a central cannon the whole time (Earth-616) albeit one that's been heavily retconned but, again, all of their media has existed in it's own universes since, at least, the Japanese Spider-Man show - the Bill Bixby Hulk show, The Spider-Man live action show, every film up until the birth of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the 90's cartoons, X-Men Evolution, Spider-Man's various cartoons, Iron Adventures etc etc - they even had designated earth names until the current Secret War.

Anyway I would like a Saryn, I dislike the DC Comics quite a great deal but she's important and she has a nice look, though with Miro having been around longer and having been important to more continuities I feel he should get priority if that was called for.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'd be interested in her but only in Monster mode. Wait...that doesn't sound right...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    Marvel is a slightly poorer comparison because it has maintained a central cannon the whole time (Earth-616) albeit one that's been heavily retconned but, again, all of their media has existed in it's own universes
    Point I'm trying to make and you clarified it...

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry, ZERO interest here.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Saryn is in Round 5 of the polls. Just throwing in more support for Keldor's mother (and King Grayskull's assassin?).

She got my vote.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Saryn is in Round 5 of the polls. Just throwing in more support for Keldor's mother (and King Grayskull's assassin?).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4535/...3220a1a6_z.jpg
    THIS!!!!!! I am so down for Skeletor's Mother to be included in MOTUC!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I voted for her, though I'm cool with Shokoti being his mother in my own idea of "canon."

And in MOTUC, KG did still fall before Hordak's magic; it just wasn't depicted in the minis. He-Ro died a similar death, passing the Sword to the king first. Grayskull went on to use it for some time.

(This reminds me I need to catch up the Bio-Narrative Thread....)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

This would make a great figure or even 2 pack.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

She would be awesome!
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

She has my vote. I would love to had her to my collection.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Sold!
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

I...do not like Saryn, at least as presented in the comic.

I am happy for us to learn more about Keldor's mother, it has been picking at my brain for years. I'm happy to have her be Saryn but I'd need/want/like a different origin. I would say in Classics at least, and the greater MOTU franchise hopefully she could not be King Grayskull's killer. That is and should only be a DC comic (And that particular run at that, continuity wise) thing.

So if They did Keldor's mom, great. Give us a cool bio. Make certain she is not a Grayskull throat slitter, but otherwise I am interested. Big witch thing? Nah. I say that but if the figure is cool, I'm cool.

Frankly the name and pre-cursed witch design is all good, but I'd much rather see her as a contemporary of Miro's time and perhaps a new story of betrayal in vengeance for her races demise. I always assumed "poluting" the kings line and having the true heir be a Gar ******* and all the chaos that would create was revenge enough without having her be ancient and involved in Grayskull. Better just Miro.

Gosh darn, I love gbagokís art. I would love this figure. Perhaps it would portend a future Miro.

I donít think Keldorís mother is necessarily compelling on her own as a story. There are millions of family connections in MOTU and many of them are kinda corny IMO. So I donít think Saryn just as Keldorís mom is all that interesting. She needs some juice.

Being the assassin of King Grayskull is pretty awesome, because it means she killed the progenitor of The Power, but she also continues the bloodline by birthing Keldor. That makes her interesting.

We donít know anything about Grayskullís child/ren, but there must be at least one out there. I wonder if there was reason to believe that Grayskullís line ended when he was killed. The world kinda went to hell after he died, which sort of implies a power vacuum that likely would not exist with a strong heir. Was this addressed in DC? I canít recall.

Another DC change I like is He-Ro as Grayskullís son. It gives family precedent to the naming scheme other than making it a tribute to their ancestorís war buddy. I use Wun Dar as another son of Grayskull.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Fantastic Saryn designs, Eric! Bravo!
    I voted yes for Keldorís mother and would certainly be thrilled if she made it into the line!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    (This reminds me I need to catch up the Bio-Narrative Thread....)
    That would be awesome! Iíd love to see the ongoing updates to the narrative continue!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Just think, IF we did get Saryn then every time Skelly got his butt whipped by He-Man he could run back home to Snake Mountain and cry to his mommy.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

This design is cool. Still not feeling the "Witch" version.