Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Battle Ram Blog - a look at the design history of MOTU and POP toys

“Within these Walls… Armageddon!” French edition

https://battleramblog.com/within-the...rench-edition/

The Alcala legacy: An interview with Alfred Alcala Jr. (Part 1)

https://battleramblog.com/the-alcala...ala-jr-part-1/

Awesome interview, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Awesome interview, thanks a lot.
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it

- - - Updated - - -

Gwildor:

https://battleramblog.com/gwildor-he...smic-key-1987/

Last edited by Lich Leech; December 9, 2019 at 10:09am.

I wonder why Battle Cat, Zodac & Faker are not inside this catalog
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; December 19, 2019 at 11:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I wonder why Battle Cat, Zodac & Faker are not inside this catalog
    Good question! No Zoar or Screeech either.

New post: The Fighting Foe-Men

https://battleramblog.com/the-fighting-foe-men/

Last edited by Lich Leech; February 22, 2020 at 02:48pm.

Great article. Will there be a Part II? I was kind of hoping to see the later concept of the FFM as mini figures, or the later retconning of the Monogram model drivers as FFM.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Great article. Will there be a Part II? I was kind of hoping to see the later concept of the FFM as mini figures, or the later retconning of the Monogram model drivers as FFM.
    Thanks Night Stalker. I'm actually not familiar with the idea of FFM as mini figures. Where is that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Thanks Night Stalker. I'm actually not familiar with the idea of FFM as mini figures. Where is that from?
    I believe I read it in the Power and Honor Catalog. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Update:

So I found the illustrations I had in mind (from the P&H Catalog), but not the attribution.

I recall reading (or hearing) that the Fighting Foe Men name was dusted off for an intended sub-line (like Powers of Grayskull) of mini figures. The FFM line would embody several minifigure sub-sub-lines like the Multiples, the Sticky Minions, the Lockers, the Spider People and the Meteorbs.

By then, MOTU popularity had peaked, so the only thing that saw the light of day was the captive import Meteorbs.

I initially thought I gleaned this info from the Catalog, but I'm wondering if I picked this up from a conversation I had with Mark DiCamillo at the 2012 Power Con.

Anyone else have anything they can add?
    Last edited by Night Stalker; February 24, 2020 at 02:02pm. Reason: Added info.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I get why Mattel changed He-Man from his original version as a savage brute to a nice guy in order to sell to children. But as an adult, I find this original version much more interesting. I also like Mer-Man more as a good guy. We barely saw any good "monsters" in the original MotU, so this would have been amazing to see a scary looking monster as a good guy.

I would like to see some stories written about this original version of the Fighting Foe Men.

The description of Eternia as a post-apocalyptic land filled with creatures that came through portals from many different worlds all fighting for survival and power using ancient technology and magic is much more appealing to me than the Filmation version.

It's too bad MotU Classics never made that blaster/bayonet weapon for Man-at-Arms, that would have rocked. Maybe Origins will do it? I'm still hoping for the Battle Chariot in Origins.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    The best timeline is the one in which Mer-Man is named Sea-Man.

The Battle Ram Blog - a look at the design history of MOTU and POP toys

Posted this as a comment on the blog too:

When I reread the mini comics when the big collection book came out, He-Man changing costumes stuck out at me. Seeing it here in the early pitch also jumps out. I wonder if these costumes were ever developed… were they the Roger Sweet trio? Something else, like recolored versions of other figures’ gear (See Zodac’s and Beastman’s gear in the weapons pack)? Was swapping suits around meant to be a bigger part of the play cycle from the jump? I want to see that alternate universe where alternate costumes with “powers” were released with the figures.

I love this blog for bringing this stuff to light. Fascinated that what I assume would become Whiplash was conceived of at the very beginning; that Beast Man was originally the evil leader; that He-Man was a bit of a jerk.

I had it in my head, backed by no evidence at all (inspired by the generic names and the panel of Skeletors going through a portal in the first mini), that all of the early figures were meant as generic archetypes, almost meant to be army builders. A race of Mer-Men, a race of De-Men, a race of Wing-Men, a race of He-Men, etc. Appears that this was never a thing, but I still find my dumb hypothesis entertaining to think about. Imagine all the early figures in different colorways to sell the idea. That would have been fun, haha.
    Last edited by hadley; February 29, 2020 at 07:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I believe I read it in the Power and Honor Catalog. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Update:

So I found the illustrations I had in mind (from the P&H Catalog), but not the attribution.

I recall reading (or hearing) that the Fighting Foe Men name was dusted off for an intended sub-line (like Powers of Grayskull) of mini figures. The FFM line would embody several minifigure sub-sub-lines like the Multiples, the Sticky Minions, the Lockers, the Spider People and the Meteorbs.

By then, MOTU popularity had peaked, so the only thing that saw the light of day was the captive import Meteorbs.

I initially thought I gleaned this info from the Catalog, but I'm wondering if I picked this up from a conversation I had with Mark DiCamillo at the 2012 Power Con.

Anyone else have anything they can add?
    Thanks for checking!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    The description of Eternia as a post-apocalyptic land filled with creatures that came through portals from many different worlds all fighting for survival and power using ancient technology and magic is much more appealing to me than the Filmation version.
    Yes, that's my favorite vision for it as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    The best timeline is the one in which Mer-Man is named Sea-Man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7c6eS-ZSAI

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Posted this as a comment on the blog too:

When I reread the mini comics when the big collection book came out, He-Man changing costumes stuck out at me. Seeing it here in the early pitch also jumps out. I wonder if these costumes were ever developed… were they the Roger Sweet trio? Something else, like recolored versions of other figures’ gear (See Zodac’s and Beastman’s gear in the weapons pack)? Was swapping suits around meant to be a bigger part of the play cycle from the jump? I want to see that alternate universe where alternate costumes with “powers” were released with the figures.

I love this blog for bringing this stuff to light. Fascinated that what I assume would become Whiplash was conceived of at the very beginning; that Beast Man was originally the evil leader; that He-Man was a bit of a jerk.

I had it in my head, backed by no evidence at all (inspired by the generic names and the panel of Skeletors going through a portal in the first mini), that all of the early figures were meant as generic archetypes, almost meant to be army builders. A race of Mer-Men, a race of De-Men, a race of Wing-Men, a race of He-Men, etc. Appears that this was never a thing, but I still find my dumb hypothesis entertaining to think about. Imagine all the early figures in different colorways to sell the idea. That would have been fun, haha.
    Thanks for the comments! You do see elements of those races in some stories. For instance, The Sunbird Legacy has a race of Beast Men and of course the Avion people. The early DC stuff has Mer-Man's people as well.