Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Strange Movie Thread

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

Dr. Strange Movie Thread

We all know that Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast as the Sorcerer Supreme but here are some pics:

Discuss this looks AWESOME!

And Interesting...it appears Mads Mikkelsen is Mephisto...How cool would that be!

Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange! That's great!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Looking great! I feared they would go for something less colorful and no cape, I'm so happy with what they did.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait for this one.

Cumberbatch has quickly risen to one of my favorite actors working today.

I have no doubt that this movie will be another success. While, Scott Derrickson's earlier work isn't really to my taste, I think he may just give Dr. Strange the creepy metaphysical world he deserves.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Should be cool
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I've never been a big Dr. Strange fan (never collected his comics or even read them as a matter of fact) but I'm all for anything that adds to the depth and character list of the MCU. Plus the actor and costume look pretty spot on for Doctor Strange.

Plus, it also allows for the possible introduction of cool villains like Dormammu and Baron Mordo (and possibly fix the mess the Ghost Rider movie made of Mephisto and Blackheart)...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    Looking great! I feared they would go for something less colorful and no cape, I'm so happy with what they did.
    I was pleased, as well; they seem to be getting a little more comfortable with actual costumes on the costumed heroes. He's instantly recognizable here, and Cumberbatch seems to be well suited to the part as far as appearance goes. Never seen his Holmes, but I have heard very good things about it and him, and Marvel does have a good record of picking the right people to fill the costumes.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Strange & Mordo?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

Strange & Mordo?
    Yes. Clearly costumed from soon after he finds the Ancient One.

First trailer is now out:

I think it looks pretty good.

Trailer had cool visuals but otherwise looked meh to me. Granted idk anything about Dr Strange

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That trailer made me so happy.

Absolutely everything vital to Dr. Strange was in it.

This is going to be epic.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I always give origin movies a little bit of leeway because it has to build up the back stories but am definitely excited to finally have magic in the MCU!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Gorgeous poster:

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Gorgeous poster:
    Yup! A cool looking Sanctum Sanctorum window!

Quote Originally Posted by HE-FAN79 View Post
    Trailer had cool visuals but otherwise looked meh to me. Granted idk anything about Dr Strange

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    My feelings exactly. I wager that you have to really be a fan for this teaser to grab you though. I know of dr. Stangr through the animated movie they did and they pretty much showed his key origin moments, outside of that it falls flat but again not knowing the character much is a big part of that,
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    This certainly looks to be a promising addition to the MCU. I have no prior knowledge from the comics, so I'll be going in fresh.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Loved the trailer!

November can't get here soon enough.

I hope this is a hint of who the main villain will be:

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That trailer made me so happy.

Absolutely everything vital to Dr. Strange was in it.

This is going to be epic.
    I agree! Yay!! Dr. Strange is such an awesome, and integral, part of the Marvel Universe!

My only complaint with this teaser is that the Ancient One seems to be female?? Not that I mind, but what a weird decision to make a long-time he into a she...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I hope this is a hint of who the main villain will be:

http://images.vcpost.com/data/thumbs...r-strange.jpeg
    Well, for a proper origin story, we will definitely see Baron Mordo, and I think it's been revealed that Dormammu will take the lead antagonist role!

Soooo excited!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    My only complaint with this teaser is that the Ancient One seems to be female?? Not that I mind, but what a weird decision to make a long-time he into a she...
    Or that the Ancient One is not even Eastern either. Perhaps they'll say that the Ancient One is like Galactus in that he/she appears as the same race as the person who is looking upon him/her.

Not that I mind either way but it would have been nice to have an actual Easterner in the role of the Ancient One.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Or that the Ancient One is not even Eastern either. Perhaps they'll say that the Ancient One is like Galactus in that he/she appears as the same race as the person who is looking upon him/her.

Not that I mind either way but it would have been nice to have an actual Easterner in the role of the Ancient One.
    The filmmakers probably feel it would be too stereotypical to cast an Asian actor as a martial arts expert, monk, or mystic; but that it would be equally problematic to change the race of a character from Asian to Caucasian alone.

Tilda Swinton (the actress playing the Ancient One) said (or implied, can't remember which) that the Ancient One is, for purposes of the movie, essentially a title. Meaning that she is the current in a line of Ancient Ones who trains those deemed worthy in magic (as Strange will be one in a line of Sorcerer Supremes).

In many ways they were always going to get flak regardless of what they did. Cast a non-Asian and you get complaints of whitewashing an ethnic character or of doing "yellowface" (which some people have claimed although I'm pretty sure the Ancient One that Swinton is playing is not intended to be Asian), cast an Asian actor and you have people complaining about the mystical kung-fu master stereotype being continued (and possibly complaints about the "mystical kung-fu asian teaches a white guy to save the world rather than doing it themselves" issue).

I only know that Doctor Strange was a cocky surgeon who suffered hand injuries that forced him to turn his genius in other directions, and at some point that led him to the mystical temple (in Tibet?).S So from that limited awareness, I think this looks pretty good, though not revolutionary. It's interesting that despite the Inception-y images and the Batman Begins story/setting elements, it still looks more colorful than a Nolan movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Tilda Swinton (the actress playing the Ancient One) said (or implied, can't remember which) that the Ancient One is, for purposes of the movie, essentially a title. Meaning that she is the current in a line of Ancient Ones who trains those deemed worthy in magic (as Strange will be one in a line of Sorcerer Supremes).

In many ways they were always going to get flak regardless of what they did. Cast a non-Asian and you get complaints of whitewashing an ethnic character or of doing "yellowface" (which some people have claimed although I'm pretty sure the Ancient One that Swinton is playing is not intended to be Asian), cast an Asian actor and you have people complaining about the mystical kung-fu master stereotype being continued (and possibly complaints about the "mystical kung-fu asian teaches a white guy to save the world rather than doing it themselves" issue).
    Probably, although the white-washing issue has a lot more resonance at the moment than a stock wise old man cliche. If the moviemakers were concerned about choosing "the lesser of two evils" for the current climate, I think they picked the wrong one.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406