Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The magic formula for bring He-man and She-ra back

Heroic Warrior

The magic formula for bring He-man and She-ra back

We need to make the new He-man and She-ra movie an "animated" movie.

These characters are too ideal for any actor or actress to capture and fill.

Using the Filmation character models for He-man and She-ra, and bringing back the voice talents of John Erwin and Melendy Britt, who are both still alive, I think you have a great foundation for a new "Secret of the Sword" movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it wrong for me to wish He-man and She-ra were not brother and sister?

Sometimes I wish Mattel or Filmation would have gone another direction.

What happened to the He-man IOS game? Last time I looked at it they were teasing Battlecat with a claw. Did they ever implement Battlecat?
    Last edited by teela-n; January 10, 2016 at 11:15am.

Making a new He-Man and She-Ra animated movie? You can't be serious, teela-n!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

The magic formula to bring He-Man and She-Ra back to mainstream prominence is to take the best elements of Sci-fi and fuse it with the best elements of fantasy. Give modern audiences something they have NEVER seen before. The more outrageous the concept the better it will be received. Throw in some dinosaurs and have He-Man beat up Godzilla. That is the kind of thing that makes a kid's imagination go wild. That is what this is really about. Getting the younger generations excited about He-Man. He-Man is way cooler than Thor when you think about it.

I think live action movies AND animated movies is the way to go, the more the better.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    I see four routes.

A mainstream movie with a rich self-awareness and comedy undercurrent, somewhat like Guardians or Ragnarok. Lean into all the memes a bit. Adam wears pink. Teela makes fun of it. Adam has some kind of funny response about pink being a ferocious color you get when you try to wash something with the blood of your enemies.

Adam says “fabulous” a lot and people (without delving into anything homophobic) treat it like Chris Reeve’s Clark Kent calling things “swell”.

“Nobody calls things fabulous anymore, Adam.”
    “Fabulous. As in, like something from a fable.”
    “How many fables have you heard lately?”
    “Two. But they were really good ones!”

Skeletor is “inspirational”. Full of inspirational quotes as he does evil.

Funny/weird Cringer subplot about him falling in love or finding his courage.

Absolutely silly number of vehicles that all get wrecked in one use. Focus on the most absurd characters like Plundor, Stinkor, and Mekanek and play them about as serious as Rocket Raccoon.

This take moves merch.

More of a Snyder take. Deadly serious. Macho bonecrunching and a bit of college level philosophy. This gets taken seriously if done well but doesn’t move as much merch.

Some kind of Rick and Morty/Venture Bros. kind of thing. Skews adult. Slapstick AND deep. I bet you could hire Dan Harmon for this.

Kind of Son of Zorn minus the real world part.

This will move merch and probably take the brand into semi-self-parody territory but with deep emotional stuff blended in.

You’ll get traditional stuff alongside deliberately screwball stuff like, say, Skeletor having a new henchman named Zebra-Man or something and Man-at-Arms and Sorceress as bickering exes who occasionally turn eachother on arguing.

But then you’d get something random and touching like Ram Man dying of cancer and regretting he never told his ex-wife he loved her or something. And Skeletor is just like, “This is too depressing. One week truce.”

Kid-focused cartoon. Maybe a She-Ra spinoff. I kinda suspect this is being setup. Adam as a chubby kid who looks vaguely like Steven Universe and gets picked on but then he becomes He-Man and I bet his character model would be surprisingly detailed/well-proportioned like Hordak but then he turns back into a chubby kid who gets bullied. Kinda doubling down on the Shazam inspiration. Art style like She-Ra except more adult characters with Adam as the only kid and Teela probably as his college-aged babysitter he has a crush on. Adults get drawn like Hordak/Shadow Weever from new She-Ra which is more Filmation-y but the kids are Cal Arts-y.

I mean, there's no one "right way" to do it, but the new She-Ra seems to be pretty completely awesome, and it wouldn't surprise me if they brought He-Man into the fold eventually with that show, or with another show with similar style. In fact, I'm really hoping they do.

Granted, part of me will always kind of want that ultra grimdark Barbarian He-Man movie that'll bother all the Filmation fans who don't want Skeletor picking a head off a pike and tossing it down a chasm to show how evil he is, or He-Man killing a Glorm because it's attacking some peasants, but there's absolutely no denying that Princesses of Power has the power right now, and I am 100% there for it.

Heroic Warrior
    Sadly, I think not. Hate how the new She-Ra turned out, and the TMNT, GI Joe, and Transformers movies were "meh" at best. Let it die rather than be destroyed.

New She-Ra is totally amazing and I loved the two new TMNT movies, as well as the Nickelodeon TMNT series. I haven't seen Rise Of The TMNT yet though.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Widget
    Hate the TNMT movies, but the nickelodeon series is great!

I think Out of the Shadows was alright. Biggest problem with that film is actually Krang. He's clearly just there for fan service and nothing more. There should have been a proper back-story for him. Instead, he just turns up out of nowhere.

Id love to see some new He-man animated feature.. but cant say i would be excited if it was molded to filmation...as good as it was for the time.. it was not really "MY" heman..

I'D much rather see an Hard Mini comic adaption with Oolar as he-man.. but the odds of that happening are prob slim...

we shall see
    Last edited by H.A.L.9000; November 19, 2018 at 06:10pm.
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Id love to see some new He-man animated feature.. but cant say i would be excited if it was molded to filmation...as good as it was for the time.. it was not really "MY" heman..

I'D much rather see an Hard Mini comic adaption with Oolar as he-man.. but the odds of that happening are prob slim...

we shall see
    Have you seen the animated Adam West Batman features? They’re very self-aware, especially the first one. It features Batman elements not from the 1966 series modified into the style of the show, lots of self-aware humor about the show’s goofiness. It was a loving tribute AND it made fun of the show WHILE referencing things from outside of the show.

I think the only way I could see them straight up using Filmation designs without updating the designs at all would be something like that. A Filmation revival animated feature produced by anybody other than Super7 would almost certainly be aimed heavily at adults and doing all the things adults wish the show had gotten around to on some level.

I guarantee you, it would try to redeem Orko, use all the vehicles and characters the show never did, Teela would learn the secret, Skeletor would be full of motivational quotes, “What’s Goin’ On” would play over the closing credits, Adam and Teela would have sexual tension probably with lots of innuendo aimed at adults that would go over kids’ heads, she’d have some line like, “I was starting to think you were more into my Dad than me!”, it would answer questions about how the Power Sword works, etc.

Without doing a loving half-parody like that, I doubt anybody with an actual budget would stick to the old designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I think the only way I could see them straight up using Filmation designs without updating the designs at all would be something like that. A Filmation revival animated feature produced by anybody other than Super7 would almost certainly be aimed heavily at adults and doing all the things adults wish the show had gotten around to on some level.
    I'd definitely be on board with that kind of thing.

At the same time though, I can't deny that my ideal He-Man movie would be a kind of super-serious and emotionally deep action fantasy story.

It would still end with "What's Going On" over the credits though.

More likely to get the kind of thing that the She-Ra crew would do, which would probably be neither a self-aware parody nor a super-serious grimdark fantasy, but something in between, kid friendly, and probably extremely gay, in the best sense of the word. I'd definitely be okay with that too.

I see four routes.

A mainstream movie with a rich self-awareness and comedy undercurrent, somewhat like Guardians or Ragnarok. Lean into all the memes a bit. Adam wears pink. Teela makes fun of it. Adam has some kind of funny response about pink being a ferocious color you get when you try to wash something with the blood of your enemies.

Adam says “fabulous” a lot and people (without delving into anything homophobic) treat it like Chris Reeve’s Clark Kent calling things “swell”.

“Nobody calls things fabulous anymore, Adam.”
    “Fabulous. As in, like something from a fable.”
    “How many fables have you heard lately?”
    “Two. But they were really good ones!”

Skeletor is “inspirational”. Full of inspirational quotes as he does evil.

Funny/weird Cringer subplot about him falling in love or finding his courage.

Absolutely silly number of vehicles that all get wrecked in one use. Focus on the most absurd characters like Plundor, Stinkor, and Mekanek and play them about as serious as Rocket Raccoon.

The only one is see really working as an overall concept is option 1 (Ragnarok/Guardians style). Zack Snyder style? No, it's not working for DC and wouldn't work for MotU.
    Last edited by Trooper; November 27, 2018 at 12:33pm.

What was wrong with the MYP He-man? They just need to bring those back. They were awesome. Then, bring a MYP She-Ra back as well. Never understood why that didn't do so well.

A MYP MOTU type show could work on Netflix now. It would still need to be a reboot rather than a continuation, though. I don't think Netflix She-ra's style or creative staff would fit it in with the more male centric MOTU world.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A MYP MOTU type show could work on Netflix now. It would still need to be a reboot rather than a continuation, though. I don't think Netflix She-ra's style or creative staff would fit it in with the more male centric MOTU world.
    I’d go very MYP but 30% funnier kind of like DuckTales. new Bruce Timm designs closer to his current style. Adam still in contrast with He-Man but a bit older to avoid Shazam comparisons. I’d skip the origin. Will Friedle as Adam (roughly his Terry McGinnis voice) and Joel McHale as He-Man.

And though it might get some controversy but need to do some things a bit different:

I’d make Duncan, Sorceress, and Teela black. For me it works because Clamp Champ stood in a lot for Duncan late in original MOTU and it simplifies things to combine them. And at that point, Teela needs to be of color to pass as Duncan’s daughter and then Sorceress does as Teela’s mom.

Khary Payton (Cyborg from Teen Titans) as Duncan. Cree Summer as Teela. (She’s 80s voice acting royalty as-is. Penny from Inspector Gadget!) Angela Bassett-type Sorceress. Or maybe Cree Summer as Sorceress and a younger genre actress like Sarah Parker Kennedy.

I don’t feel like that would rock the boat all that much, honestly. You’d get a handful of angry comments but I don’t think it would feel forced. It’s the kind of diversity push that makes people feel good and might draw in kids but doesn’t sacrifice anything in terms of storylines.

- - - Updated - - -

ADDENDUM: James Urbaniak (Dr. Venture from Venture Bros. as Skeletor.)

I don't quite get why people like Prince Adam to be younger than He-Man. I prefer for them to be the same age, just, you know, kind of obviously different physical appearances. Maybe a different haircut. The MYP version isn't bad, but it makes Adam look bad compared to He-Man. In Filmation, Adam and He-Man never really had very different personalities. He-Man might be a bit snarkier in a few places. I'm not saying I prefer them to have the same personality, I'm saying I prefer for Adam not to be very immature and then become, you know, very mature, by magic. That's right out, to me. It worked in the MYP show, but I feel like in the contemporary age of long character arcs, it shouldn't be an option.

Heroic Warrior
    That’s kind of what I was thinking with Will Friedle/Joel McHale.

Let Adam effectively be a CW leading man on par with Grant Gustin or Stephen Amell. Young-ish but post college age. That kind of seeker-of-truth, honorbound type. Millennial-ish but not the worst stereotypes. He’s got himself together mostly but he’s a sucker for a mystery/puzzle or helping the wrongfully accused.

And then He-Man is this snark machine. Not destructive or evil but he’s got a bit of a Gen X streak. Every bit as true at heart and still wouldn’t hurt a butterfly but cockier/funnier. I think McHale actually sounds like Erwin a bit only with a bit more comedian’s timing. It’s that alto-bass quality.

I might play with the idea of Teela being into Adam and not liking He-Man. And so Adam keeps her at arm’s length. You need a reason for Adam to have a secret and, in particular, for Teela to basically be the only one kept in the dark outside of villains and the general public.

The only other alternative I can see is if we were to start off without Orko or Man at Arms knowing or maybe even Cringer out of the loop.

She-Ra’s secret was pretty meaningless so the new version gutted it.

I feel like He-Man needs a secret but if Teela is the only major character in the dark aside from maybe Randor and Marlena, you need a GOOD REASON. The whole “people would hurt you” thing is dated, patronizing, and also kinda dumb when every other major good guy knows.

This is the kind of work I think a reboot would take. Along with whether you pull some twist like making Evil-Lyn the Sorceress’ split personality or something to get an extra shock twist. (For a TV series, I’d say “Hell NO!” but for a movie that, ley’s be real, is going to get at most 2 sequels before they reboot, I’d be fine with a surprise Sorceress heel turn or something.)

The "magic formula," if there is one, is use the Marvel, Ragnarok template for a live action film. A lot of people have said it and for good, obvious reason, it's perfect. That's not to say you can't have companion animated TV shows and comics to complement the live action franchise. Star Wars had Clone Wars & Rebels and those series are popular. Obviously He-Man can't be the bulked up hulk in live action that he is in the original Filmation show and toy line. It just doesn't translate into live action, real world look. He will and should be a ripped, cut, stacked dude. Someone ran the calculations on the proportions of the original He-Man figure and if he was a real guy at 6'4", he'd be about 800lbs. That's just not going to be practical for live action, unless you want to make it a outright comedy/parody that lampoons and makes fun of MotU. Speaking of all that, it might be cool to get a couple WWE superstars to play supporting characters.

- - - Updated - - -

And though it might get some controversy but need to do some things a bit different:

I’d make Duncan, Sorceress, and Teela black. For me it works because Clamp Champ stood in a lot for Duncan late in original MOTU and it simplifies things to combine them. And at that point, Teela needs to be of color to pass as Duncan’s daughter and then Sorceress does as Teela’s mom.
    (Picard facepalm)
    Oh lordy, here we go with political correctness. Making these characters black would be a massive mistake like making an all female Ghostbusters. Want a black character? You've already pointed one out, Clamp Champ. You can make him a more prominent character, that's not a big deal but changing existing characters, especially in a politically correct direction, is just going to eye rolls and ticked off fans. I can't believe where we are on this; people are actually saying it would be okay if the next actor to be Superman is black. Sorry but no. If a MotU film has political correctness and/or SJW themes, it will be hated and be an epic fail before it even hits the theatres.

I agree with Trooper. Don't make characters black who aren't intended to be black. There should be no explanation needed.

I'd like to see a new He-Man series from DreamWorks in a different style and desing from She-Ra but it be part of the same universe and canon from the She-Ra series.Same as the Star wars series ,clones wars and rebels , they have diferent styles but both series are part of the same canon and when a character of CW appear on rebels looks on the rebels' style.

Now that Voltron is coming to the end ,it would be great Joaquim Dos Santos turns as showrunner of MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    The "magic formula," if there is one, is use the Marvel, Ragnarok template for a live action film. A lot of people have said it and for good, obvious reason, it's perfect. That's not to say you can't have companion animated TV shows and comics to complement the live action franchise. Star Wars had Clone Wars & Rebels and those series are popular. Obviously He-Man can't be the bulked up hulk in live action that he is in the original Filmation show and toy line. It just doesn't translate into live action, real world look. He will and should be a ripped, cut, stacked dude. Someone ran the calculations on the proportions of the original He-Man figure and if he was a real guy at 6'4", he'd be about 800lbs. That's just not going to be practical for live action, unless you want to make it a outright comedy/parody that lampoons and makes fun of MotU. Speaking of all that, it might be cool to get a couple WWE superstars to play supporting characters.
    Those calculations must be off because He-Man is not that big. Yeah he is big but he is not 800lbs big. Filmation He-Man had realistic proportions. The original toy did not.

Okay, maybe not 800lbs. It’s mentioned in the Netflix show “Toys That Made Us” and it was way out of proportion. Anyway, you get the point.

Heroic Warrior
    Even so, fitness standards have changed. 80s He-Man had sagging and bulging muscles that look more like a 40 year old bodybuilder. Today’s workouts emphasize lean builds. People generally look younger today than people of the same age did in the 70s or 80s. Paul Rudd and Keanu Reeves are around 50. Chris Pratt is pushing 40.

Superman today is generally depicted as older than he was in the 70s. In the 70s, he was 29 and had a receding hairline. Today, he’s around 39 and generally a bit younger looking.

I think MYP’s depiction, anime influence aside, is closer to what a live action He-Man would look like. Audiences would probably shy at the amount of skin the 80s versions showed.

I figure you’d end up with detail stitched leather tan pants and vest rather than bare legs and chest. He’d have the fur and armor overtop that. He’d probably get his Battle Armor breastplate look in the third act because movies love wardrobe changes. And maybe momentarily run around shirtless or bare legged but not for the whole film. You do it a little as fan service for the muscle fans and people who are into dudes but avoid it overall because half-naked action figures don’t sell as well. I think it freaks out parents a bit. I’ve seen Marvel Legends Namor pegwarm at $5.