Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving Teela's Botched Face : Some Tips to To change those ugly lips....and the rest!

Saving Teela's Botched Face : Some Tips to To change those ugly lips....and the rest!

Ok, So I'm not an expert painter AT ALL, but the moment i saw this terrible teela in the point dread set, i knew something had to be done to try and sort her out, and i thought id send a couple of pictures, just to show you guys that she isn't beyond help... even though this isn't our job to do, but hey..
    anyway.. here's my finished teela..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPictook me about an hour.. and it can be done!
    [IMG]Image and video hosting by TinyPic[/IMG]

first things you need to know is that the face really didn't need to be destroyed.
    i filed off the lips. and this was ALL as far as filing off and/or rebuilding anything on her face.

after that, i painted over the whole face with a flesh tone and put a few layers of matt varnish on it, to make it all level and 'just out the box' looking.
    then afterward, i re alined the eyes a little higher up, and repainted her eyebrows and lips. i did the lips in thick paint to build them up a bit... and WAH LA.

A RESCUED TEELA. somewhere under this mold was the figure they intended her to be...

ALSO... if you wanna be daring..
    while i was waiting for the paint on her head to dry between layers, i took off her armour (it comes off very easily) and i shaved down the whole of the inside of it with a craft knife..
    as you keep trying it for size, you'll notice the seams will now need to be shaved down to not over lap when closing after this process...
    it looks SO much better afterward, to get rid of some of that ugly bulk... as you can see
    anyway.. she came out of the box, scratched up, cross eyed and with a dirty bum and legs ( I've no idea how)
    but now she is a half decent looking girl and i am very pleased with her..
    YOU CAN DO THIS. I'm no way that good a painter...you just need a steady hand and a need to fix this poor mess of a woman to make it all better!
    good luck!!
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; January 14, 2016 at 06:18pm.

Wow......great job!!

Looks good. Don't think I'd try this though.

THANK YOU! i thought it was going to be a disaster, but it think once the lips are removed and the paint off her face, you can kinda see the actual teela they intended under there

Wow, that is gorgeous. I wouldn't think it was the same figure. I honestly didn't think she was that bad at first but this shows how much she can still be improved. Now the question is do I try the same? I'm an OK painter, but still afraid.
    Follow me on Instagram @Clo4k4ndD4gger for MOTUC pics and more.

My Top Most Wanted MOTUC: The Twiggets, Granita, Dylamug, Quakke, Sagitar, Spinwit, Spirit, Staghorn, Cringer (articulated adult form), Catra's Cat Form, Kayo, Filmation Tung Lashor, Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Kittrina, Hawke/Delora, Attak Trak, Roton, Land Shark, Spidor.

Quote Originally Posted by jastiles View Post
    Wow, that is gorgeous. I wouldn't think it was the same figure. I honestly didn't think she was that bad at first but this shows how much she can still be improved. Now the question is do I try the same? I'm an OK painter, but still afraid.
    You totally could!!
    I find that patience is the most beneficial part of painting..
    I hate waiting for layers to dry, but as long as each layer is thinned to a soupy texture and varnished after (that hides cracks SO well) I think it can be done!
    Do it, and post here.. You totally can do it if I can!

Great job, that looks so much better.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Great job! What did you use to redo her lips? And what kind of brush did you use for the fine details?

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Great job! What did you use to redo her lips? And what kind of brush did you use for the fine details?
    Cheers! I used standard acrylic paints, some Matt varnish by Vallejo, and a very thin tipped paint brush. Not expensive at all. I actually painted the fine detail with wooden toothpicks. Just gnawed at the end til they were the right thickness for the lips, eyes and brows. Was a lot easier this way.. Plus with thinned down paint, using water, you can 'dot' on detail, which helps loads!.
    The trick is to layer and wait. And varnish as you go. The varnish levels the paint job really well

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    great job, thanks for sharing.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    I salute the effort!
    It's very well executed, enough to no be ashamed of anyway.
    Now you can start having some fun...

Cheers guys!

Amazing work Mikey!!! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by thatbloodymikey View Post
    Ok, So I'm not an expert painter AT ALL, but the moment i saw this terrible teela in the point dread set, i knew something had to be done to try and sort her out, and i thought id send a couple of pictures, just to show you guys that she isn't beyond help... even though this isn't our job to do, but hey..
    took me about an hour.. and it can be done!

first things you need to know is that the face really didn't need to be destroyed.
    i filed off the lips. and this was ALL as far as filing off and/or rebuilding anything on her face.

after that, i painted over the whole face with a flesh tone and put a few layers of matt varnish on it, to make it all level and 'just out the box' looking.
    then afterward, i re alined the eyes a little higher up, and repainted her eyebrows and lips. i did the lips in thick paint to build them up a bit... and WAH LA.

A RESCUED TEELA. somewhere under this mold was the figure they intended her to be...

while i was waiting for the paint on her head to dry between layers, i took off her armour (it comes off very easily) and i shaved down the whole of the inside of it with a craft knife..
    as you keep trying it for size, you'll notice the seams will now need to be shaved down to not over lap when closing after this process...
    it looks SO much better afterward, to get rid of some of that ugly bulk... as you can see
    anyway.. she came out of the box, scratched up, cross eyed and with a dirty bum and legs ( I've no idea how)
    YOU CAN DO THIS. I'm no way that good a painter...you just need a steady hand and a need to fix this poor mess of a woman to make it all better!
    good luck!!
    Wow!!!!!!!!!

took me about an hour.. and it can be done!

good luck!!
    Did you happen to take step by step pictures of the process? I would be interested in seeing those!
    Instagram: toysgotme

I tried, but I'm not happy with my results, I sanded too much off the chin:

Also fixed her bulkiness:

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    The armour looks Amazing!!!
    The face is still better than before.. If you buy some cheap model varnish (Vallejo satin varnish) and go over it, it'll hide the sins.. Also with lots of layers of varnish and paint (will take a LOT of patience waiting) you can build up the chin.. If you fancy being real brave, painting out the whole face in a flesh tone, varnishing it even, then raising the eyes and the lips. This can really even out the face. The lips alone can be raised.. If you zoom in on your picture, you can see where the higher lip line is meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    Did you happen to take step by step pictures of the process? I would be interested in seeing those!
    I didn't sadly. The trick is though, just to sand off the lips. Then flesh tone the whole face, varnish it, then redo it all, but slightly higher up. Those terrible lips are so huge, once they are sanded off, there is a lot of room to work with.. The raised parts of the eyes where they are meant to be are still there once painted over in flesh, so it's easy enough to follow.. Only the lips need the guess work, but as long as you varnish and let dry as you go, you can do the lips last and just keep trying until you get it the way you like
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; January 15, 2016 at 02:32pm.

The armour looks Amazing!!!
    The face is still better than before.. If you buy some cheap model varnish (Vallejo satin varnish) and go over it, it'll hide the sins.. Also with lots of layers of varnish and paint (will take a LOT of patience waiting) you can build up the chin.. If you fancy being real brave, painting out the whole face in a flesh tone, varnishing it even, then raising the eyes and the lips. This can really even out the face. The lips alone can be raised.. If you zoom in on your picture, you can see where the higher lip line is meant to be.
    Thanks, about the Armor.

I resculpted her chin:

(The camera really shows all the flaws)

I'm still not happy with it, luckily I had an extra head. I might just sell this head as a custom head on EvilBay.

I really hope Mattel releases another one for use to replace this head.

(BTW-Your's came out great!)

I might play with it a little more before completely giving up.

Its looking great! Don't give up yet!.. some really simple fixes here!..ignore where the centre of the lips are sculpted and bring them up a teeny bit more. its the lips dropping that originally let teela down and made her look weird.
    Ive drawn over your tells lips HERE
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you do your lips like this.. just a Tiny bit higher and with the middle part here...blob the red paint thicker on that new bottom lip, and it will create a new one.. totally ignore the old ones placement. then let it dry and varnish it.. the varnish will even out ALL of the marks in her skin too and make her look fresh!
    you can buy Vallejo Satin Varnish for like 2 dollars on eBay, which works WONDERS!!..
    believe me, I'm no artist either.. my teela has Carrie Fisher Lips now, but WAY better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Thanks, about the Armor.

I resculpted her chin:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...A10AE6B0CF.jpg
    (The camera really shows all the flaws)

I'm still not happy with it, luckily I had an extra head. I might just sell this head as a custom head on EvilBay.

I really hope Mattel releases another one for use to replace this head.

(BTW-Your's came out great!)

I might play with it a little more before completely giving up.
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; January 15, 2016 at 05:00pm.

awww cheers Guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Amazing work Mikey!!! ��
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; January 15, 2016 at 05:01pm.

Nice work! May I ask what skin color did you use?
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Melaktha, Kittrina, King Helios, Colossor, Zilora, Dragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    Nice work! May I ask what skin color did you use?
    For me I mixed Pink, Brown, and White.

Mikey, she looks amazing. SO. MUCH. BETTER. I really think the eyes and eyebrows contributed as much as the redone lips. She looks like a pretty human, rather than like a scary Evilyn-Jocelyn Wildenstein-Teela hybrid.