Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Thread: On Brand Managers and PR talking to fans

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    On Brand Managers and PR talking to fans

    So I am incredibly guilty of derailing a conversation on another thread. See the SDCC thread pages 22-24 for details. Long and short of it was a conversation about "lies" etc... that I may have said to fans over the years.

    Mods, I appreciate this new thread being kept as I think this is actually an incredibly important conversation to have, as it relates not just to MOTUC but to all toy lines from all companies.

    To the thick of it, I asked fans to give examples of the "lies" I may have said over the years. It was actually a good positive conversation because I think their is a clear difference in our definition of a lie and I think this is an important conversation to have as toy fans.

    So here is my perspective:

    A brand manager, PR rep or anyone else from any company talking to fans/customers. Saying a product, any product will have a feature, any feature, and then having that feature change, is not a lie.

    Features change all the time for a variety of reasons. Cost of goods, materials, licensing issues, opinions of management, change in personnel etc...

    So something like the Castle changing size, a BTTF Hoverboard having a lenticular, or Doomsday being not available and then available are not examples of lying to fans. These are examples of a company rep having to explain that for a variety of reasons, more likely then not for reasons that company rep had personally zero control over, a product had to change.

    This is not a lie, this is explaining that life happens and within the very complicated detailed manufacturing process, a feature or availability that existed at one point no longer exists.

    On the other hand, a lie is an intentionally false statement.

    Hopefully this makes things easier for future MOTUC brand managers and all future toy PR reps and fans. ;-)

    Toy Guru out.

  2. #2
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,805
    I think this really is more of a "let's talk about it over a beer at the con" type conversation.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  3. #3
    Master Of Vocals Mye-Kah B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,826
    The problem is most people on here do not understand how business works.
    When it's all said and done, the big wigs have final say and usually you are not suppose to blame them but take the blame yourself.

    I know this because this is my reality. In my position I have to deal with customers. They are mad the prices went up. Mad something was changed. Mad something was discontinued. I go to the owners and let them know, but their logic is its just a few loud people, so ignore them.

    Recently I've just been annoyed at the owners myself so I've been telling people, "sorry it was the owners idea".
    Even though my position dictates I take the heat myself.

    But I believe that's how it went with you and Mattel. You said stuff, management changed it. You spoke to the masses who blew up.
    Now in this current time, we see how management actually is, guving us the cold shoulder. Because they don't have a fall guy.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    205
    I think you can chalk up a lot of it to the fact that the world is now full of conspiracy theorists (thanks youtube). Lizard people live in the earth and its hollow with a flaming hole in the Antarctic circle, the sky is an LCD screen, Nebiru is coming any minute now, Scott had secret black mass meetings with high power Illuminati executives to produce his own insidious action figure character before we got Tug O War. Its all the same to me. But what I believe is that Scott is/was a genuine fan and I don't think we'd have as near a complete collection without his passion for MOTU. But I also believe he's a Saurian Overlord from the Arcturus Cluster and I soon plan to put up a video with me talking about it in my car with my phone cam up my nose (because 'they' can't hear you when you're in your car or on your phone) while I am also shirtless to prove it! You'll all see.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,131
    For the record you are incorrect.

    The Ant People live in the hollow Earth opening in the Antarctic. The Lizard people are shape changing interdimensional beings who inhabit the bodies of high ranking world leaders and thrive off of the negative energy created by keeping the world in a constant state of fear and buying things they don't need.

  6. #6
    Heroic Qadian Master Jokubas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    390
    I think part of the problem is that, in practice, the difference is pretty minor.

    The average person doesn't know how these things work, and few people are ever going to know the true context of any given situation. When all a customer ever hears is the original intent, and then the final version contradicts that, it might as well be a lie for them.

    Obviously, some people take that too far, but I think the understanding goes both ways (which I don't mean to imply any blame by saying).
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; July 15, 2016 at 11:37pm.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,162
    Frankly I like it best when I don't know anything about the brand manager just the product. A thread like this reminds me of Donald Trump. He can't let anything go and takes everything personally and just goes on and on and on and on about themselves. Personally I think the approach hasbro has taken with marvel legends is the best way to operate. Don't know who works on it. Never hear anything about them but are kept up to date about which characters are in which waves and whe they're shipping. Also liked the new matty teams approach-- They responded to fan feedback with regards to lord masque. Fixing serpentine hsss, the ankles etc when in the past were told it wasn't possible for such fixes..ummm. I also had no problem with the new matty team. They told us upfront about the characters prices and release dates. The product shipped and all is good. Granted I'm not too thrilled about the lack of a response from them after all the rumors spread about matty collapsing though
    U
    And despite issues with Scott I will say I'll be eternally grateful for his Super powers and superfriends love for getting all them mostly updated despite the whole gleek fiasco
    Last edited by degra; July 15, 2016 at 11:53pm.
    _____________________

    please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

  8. #8
    Heroic Qadian Master Jokubas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    390
    A lot of it depends on how smoothly it goes (behind the scenes too, not just with the face of the product). There are a lot of places where having the face is great and makes me feel more connected. Honestly, regardless of how this line has been handled in each era, I still miss having a face.

    And for the record about conspiracy theories, because it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, there's a big difference between being generally suspicious of the actions of a company, and fantastical stories and paranoia that are a topic of mental health. A business tends to want to maximize its profits, and human nature is good at trying to find ways to get what it wants, and if that means bending a few rules, or hoping to get away with breaking some of them, they'll do that. That's not to say every business is corrupt, just that the real fantasy would be assuming a company is never trying to get a few extra bucks out of you.

    It bothers me because the word conspiracy is stuck with a negative, "crazy talk" connotation that has nothing to do with its actual definition, and it makes it hard to discuss something when there is a legitimate, documented problem. I don't think anyone is conspiring to do anything in particular here, but it gets thrown around negatively even when people aren't even implying any conspiring, let alone a fantastical conspiracy.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; July 16, 2016 at 12:00am.

  9. #9
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    5,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    For the record you are incorrect.

    The Ant People live in the hollow Earth opening in the Antarctic. The Lizard people are shape changing interdimensional beings who inhabit the bodies of high ranking world leaders and thrive off of the negative energy created by keeping the world in a constant state of fear and buying things they don't need.
    I KNEW it!!!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

  10. #10
    Widget Frazz203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Scott,

    I hope that you read my reply in the previous thread, but I wanted to reiterate that my intention was not to make you out to be a bad guy. I should have picked my words a bit more carefully in the original post. The line about "how Scott operates" came off as way harsher than intended and was likely the catalyst. Your passion for the line and constant communication spoiled the hell out of us. Bottom line. No other brand manager has ever been as involved with the fans as you were. I miss that communication. Yes, you did come off as a bit "snarky" on occasion, and the scare tactics ticked me off to no end at the time, but I can see very clearly now that you were swimming upstream and needed every sub that you could get just to keep things on track. As I said in my previous reply, your recent posts have shed new light on the situation during your time at the big M. I get the idea that you were dealing with upper management that could care less about producing an item that didn't sell less than a million units. This is a company that has been spoiled by the somewhat bewildering (to me at least) evergreen success of Barbie and Hot Wheel's. I'm actually in awe of your accomplishments and wish you nothing but the best.
    Last edited by Frazz203; July 16, 2016 at 12:19am.
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    21,912
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I think this really is more of a "let's talk about it over a beer at the con" type conversation.
    The last TG conversation should have been that way, but it wound up the same way the "Conspiracy nuts vs Kool-Aid drinkers" forum battles all seem to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    So I am incredibly guilty of derailing a conversation on another thread. See the SDCC thread pages 22-24 for details. Long and short of it was a conversation about "lies" etc... that I may have said to fans over the years.

    Mods, I appreciate this new thread being kept as I think this is actually an incredibly important conversation to have, as it relates not just to MOTUC but to all toy lines from all companies.

    To the thick of it, I asked fans to give examples of the "lies" I may have said over the years. It was actually a good positive conversation because I think their is a clear difference in our definition of a lie and I think this is an important conversation to have as toy fans.

    So here is my perspective:

    A brand manager, PR rep or anyone else from any company talking to fans/customers. Saying a product, any product will have a feature, any feature, and then having that feature change, is not a lie.

    Features change all the time for a variety of reasons. Cost of goods, materials, licensing issues, opinions of management, change in personnel etc...

    So something like the Castle changing size, a BTTF Hoverboard having a lenticular, or Doomsday being not available and then available are not examples of lying to fans. These are examples of a company rep having to explain that for a variety of reasons, more likely then not for reasons that company rep had personally zero control over, a product had to change.

    This is not a lie, this is explaining that life happens and within the very complicated detailed manufacturing process, a feature or availability that existed at one point no longer exists.

    On the other hand, a lie is an intentionally false statement.

    Hopefully this makes things easier for future MOTUC brand managers and all future toy PR reps and fans. ;-)

    Toy Guru out.
    YOU didn't derail the thread. You asked a question that you might not have thought was going to get answered and I answered it. The thing that derailed the thread was the political divisions that I mentioned. The second anyone presents a critique towards you, the thread turned into hotbed. I wasn't mean or disrespectful. I merely listed the problems that some fans leveled toward you. Some fans agreed with those complaints. Others took great offense at those complaints because they see you as a hero -- you give them answers when Mattel is silent and they are thankful toward you for managing Classics to the extent that it reached. Stereotypically for TG subjects on this forum, the polarization between both sides of the conflict shut the conversation down and showed the divisions I had mentioned earlier firsthand.

    I think between the problems some fans had with your tenure, the distrust of the team that came after you and Mattel keeping silent on the fate of Classics, the fans are a little wary of Mattel until proven otherwise.

    Public Relations can also take the form of "spin" or "damage control". When some internal problem happens, the company will want to always look good and will rarely take responsibility unless undeniable proof is presented. You wouldn't want to lose consumer confidence. It's also dog eat dog. For example, the new team threw you under the bus to make themselves look good with their clients --the MOTU fans. You say Reuben is responsible for the backwards forearms on Stinkor. It's better if you meant to do something than to make a mistake. With so many "inconsistencies" coming from Mattel reps versus the sources who have collaborated with Mattel, is it any wonder why there is a culture of distrust around here?

    I'm not sure why this is so important in the swing of things NOW. You even made a new thread about it. You say that you're happy with Jada Toys and you're not looking to return to Mattel. Don't know why you need to nurse your old reputation with new explanations. Your defenders want to move on.


    And this is my Val response from the old thread.


    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's such a completely ridiculous claim.

    People who argued with Scott, including those whose names are more notable in the community, did their part to create that mess. That never should have happened. But it came about from people who wanted certain things, they didn't get them, so then they held a grudge against Scott for it.

    At least I can admit it. My behavior earlier on in the first year of Classics was selfish and not in the interest of the line. I should have just taken Classics for what it was, and not what I wanted it to be. It set a bad tone, and that tone lingered. I will always regret my part in that, and am still deeply ashamed.

    And while I was able to accept fault for my own behavior, apologize, and move on, others who were supposed to be responsible, reputable people did not do that. And that's what created that supposed split. It was the people who sided with that self-motivated attitude, that migrated with it. Scott didn't force anyone's hand in that regard. Fans did that.

    And even the supposed split isn't something major. It's comprised of very few people. The other recent fan site that sprung out of that supposed split does things like expand the length of their forum timeout session to make it look like way more people are on their forums than there really is (go ahead and test it. I'll tell you how via PM if you want to know). But a big chunk of people didn't migrate to places like that because most people aren't part of a split. The reality is that a great many fans who were part of this community still come here, and post on the same Facebook groups as other fans, and browse the Matty forums, and they simply enjoy MOTU for what it is. The split is only in the minds of those who think it exists.

    It is a small group of fans who made their own choice to pick a side in some sort of absurd, imaginary "war." Someone choosing to be anti-Scott or pro-Scott is their doing. They only have themselves to blame by making it personal when they shouldn't have done that. People rarely have had such access to someone managing a brand, and some fans just took it too far and acted overly entitled as they got more comfortable with that access. And as a result, we've had a lot of petty behavior dished out by a small group of fans.

    I'm so sick of it. At Power-Con, NONE of this exists. It was a great time with a lot of fans loving He-Man. Then the day after the show, I logged onine, and the same usernames popped up again and again, with the same tired rhetoric, acting like the sky was falling because there was no MOTUC news at the Matty panel.

    This is supposed to be fun. And if it's not fun for someone, take a break from it for a while. If Matty, or Digital River, or this site, or whatever, has let you down? They you probably should stop giving them your money, expecting them to change into whatever it is you want. I've read all the arguments about customer service, and how Mattel should honor prior plans, etc. I totally get it. And I'm all for constructive, and polite criticism of the product and such. But there's a point where each one of us should accept things for what they are, while also coming to terms with our own behavior and how it can do harm. And the same goes for all this fighting with Scott stuff. Let it go, for crying out loud.

    When everything is over and we're desperate for something new for MOTU and POP, so many of us are going to look back and see how much time and energy was wasted over some very pointless things.
    I disagree that my claim is ridiculous. Sometimes it's difficult to be a member of a MOTU forum without bumping into any of the inner politics, no matter how much you try to steer clear of them. Especially with a personality as divisive as TG around the forums. There are fans who like him. Fans who have problems with his tenure. And fans who have a balanced opinion of him. These politics aren't with every member, post and every thread, every minute of every day, but the mentality IS around.

    We're seeing those political divisions that have fractured the fanbase in this thread. Val, if these people are so few and inconsequential, then why do they bother you so? That's why I've mentioned that people on ALL sides have suffered from these divisions. Even people who try to stay out of the politics get caught in the crossfire because of who they hang with. So many longtime fans and friends aren't here anymore and the fans who remain really can't discuss these changes. A bunch of our biggest fans weren't present to share triumphs or lend support when their fellow fans needed it the most.

    While there are some fans who have a problem with the way Mattel handles things, I also see fans who just want to be MOTU fans and want nothing to do the political stuff get dragged into messes merely because of who they hang out with.

    Yes, you're right. This IS supposed to be fun. But sometimes the behind-the-scenes craziness ruins that fun. Let me tell you how that affects me: The quality product that MOTU is known for can't be the best that it could possibly be because someone has problems with someone else. History and facts about the line and it's media are obscured because of marred professional relationships.


    BTW - Scott, I agree with Frightmare. Just don't engage. Trust me, I know how you feel. I've had a group of miserable, petty people trying to drag my name through the dirt for several years now. But it's wasted time to try and defend myself. For starters, I don't need to. And even if I do, they'll find something else to attack me about. To quote Patton Oswalt, those fans who are always looking for the negative element in things are "gonna miss everything cool and die angry."
    TG asked why was he seen by some fans as the bad guy here. I politely answered that question. No one is attacking him. We're all civil here, having a civil discussion. Remember that convention where he challenged fans to air their grievances in person and no one stood up? How he said that the fans were loud online, but no one says anything in public? Sometimes I think TG says things and thinks no one will speak on them. I'm just telling TG why he's disliked by a percentage of the fanbase. There's no pettiness to letting the man know what I've had heard my fellow fans complain about.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Frankly I like it best when I don't know anything about the brand manager just the product. A thread like this reminds me of Donald Trump. He can't let anything go and takes everything personally and just goes on and on and on and on about themselves. Personally I think the approach hasbro has taken with marvel legends is the best way to operate. Don't know who works on it. Never hear anything about them but are kept up to date about which characters are in which waves and whe they're shipping. Also liked the new matty teams approach-- They responded to fan feedback with regards to lord masque. Fixing serpentine hsss, the ankles etc when in the past were told it wasn't possible for such fixes..ummm. I also had no problem with the new matty team. They told us upfront about the characters prices and release dates. The product shipped and all is good. Granted I'm not too thrilled about the lack of a response from them after all the rumors spread about matty collapsing though
    Degra, Jerry Macaluso responded to fans during his Street Fighter line from SOTA Toys. He was always straight and respectful with fans. I heard similar things with Marvel Legends.

    It CAN be done well.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior WolfAtTheGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    191
    It's just one of those things where not matter what you do or how hard you try no one is perfect. Not one person out in the world is loved by everyone, just with social media these days the negative voices always drown out the positive. I don't see the point in constantly dredging up the past, especially on here it will just be the same voices posting snarky remarks.

    That said respect for what you did for the line, used to enjoy all the product walkthroughs with Pixel Dan and the passion you brought to the line.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    For the record you are incorrect.

    The Ant People live in the hollow Earth opening in the Antarctic. The Lizard people are shape changing interdimensional beings who inhabit the bodies of high ranking world leaders and thrive off of the negative energy created by keeping the world in a constant state of fear and buying things they don't need.
    If the Ant people really live under the Antarctic, then why are the native Americans of the mid-West the culture with the most history of them? I am sick and tired of this pro-Antarctica agenda!!!!!

    Anyway, I still say Superman doesn't need a mask. Toy Guru does.... YOU DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

    Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,131
    (in Prof Farnsworth)
    They can live in other places!

  15. #15
    Master Of Vocals Mye-Kah B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,826
    The ant people live on the org. I saw them scheming in their hive.....

  16. #16
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post



    Degra, Jerry Macaluso responded to fans during his Street Fighter line from SOTA Toys. He was always straight and respectful with fans. I heard similar things with Marvel Legends.

    It CAN be done well.

    Jessie Falcon is awesome on Marvel Legends.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mye-Kah B View Post
    The problem is most people on here do not understand how business works.
    When it's all said and done, the big wigs have final say and usually you are not suppose to blame them but take the blame yourself.

    I know this because this is my reality. In my position I have to deal with customers. They are mad the prices went up. Mad something was changed. Mad something was discontinued. I go to the owners and let them know, but their logic is its just a few loud people, so ignore them.

    Recently I've just been annoyed at the owners myself so I've been telling people, "sorry it was the owners idea".
    Even though my position dictates I take the heat myself.

    But I believe that's how it went with you and Mattel. You said stuff, management changed it. You spoke to the masses who blew up.
    Now in this current time, we see how management actually is, guving us the cold shoulder. Because they don't have a fall guy.

    Agree with all of this.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior King Tamusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Mye-Kah B View Post
    The problem is most people on here do not understand how business works.
    When it's all said and done, the big wigs have final say and usually you are not suppose to blame them but take the blame yourself.

    I know this because this is my reality. In my position I have to deal with customers. They are mad the prices went up. Mad something was changed. Mad something was discontinued. I go to the owners and let them know, but their logic is its just a few loud people, so ignore them.

    Recently I've just been annoyed at the owners myself so I've been telling people, "sorry it was the owners idea".
    Even though my position dictates I take the heat myself.

    But I believe that's how it went with you and Mattel. You said stuff, management changed it. You spoke to the masses who blew up.
    Now in this current time, we see how management actually is, guving us the cold shoulder. Because they don't have a fall guy.
    It is absolutely possible for people to have a strong understanding of business and be able to call someone out for inconsistencies and distributing false information. It is also possible for someone to not know a thing about business and STILL call someone out for inconsistencies and distributing false information. The two are not interlinked.

    Most of the problems stemmed from Neitlich opening his mouth and promising things that he ultimately couldn't/didn't keep. Yes, things do change, especially during the production process. Any person that does understand business would know that and wouldn't be promising anything about a product to the customer if those details haven't be finalized. Castle Grayskull was a prime example of this. These are all quotes from NYCC before the pre-order of Castle Grayskull:

    "We settled on $250.00, because we didn't want to ever have to cost reduce it." - they cost reduced it.

    "The blueprints are the base of what you are going to get. We are hoping to put in more. So, there could wind up being more than what you are going to see, but you're not going to see less." - they ended up taking away stuff, not adding.

    "Q: will there be decals? SN: I think everything is going to be sculpted, like the wind raider." - we got decals.

    Now, he actually made a point to say that the moat wasn't part of the castle, but they were looking into it. That was the correct way to state something. No promises. So, if he was capable of doing it there, why didn't he do it about the entire product??? Instead, we got more like this...

    "These blueprints were done by Ruben and his team, based on the Horsemen's design. Ruben had to take it to the next level, because we really had to spec it out and figure out the cost. We're hoping we can put even more into this. But, we know, at minimum, this is what you're going to get. So, you can see, dimensions are called out...there might be more, but there won't be less." - as we all know, this was grossly inaccurate.

    There was similar issues with the Hoverboard where even Bob Gale released an official statement regarding his disappointment with the final product, expressing his confusion as to why Mattel and Neitlich didn't get in front of the problems and be more transparent with the customers. And when Neitlich says something like, "it’s going to be perfect, it’s going to be what we wanted, it’s going to be the Hoverboard we’ve been waiting for!", of course you are going to be disappointed, because no, it wasn't.

    The snake torso is another example. Each of these instances happened during a presale, luring in customers with what they thought they would get if they pre-ordered the item, then didn't receive what was promised. One could say that one time is arguably forgivable. But twice...three times? The repetition makes it less a mistake and more an intention. And to say NOTHING until the sales are over and the public calls you out??? Keep in mind, these examples are being made, because Neitlich referred to them himself as examples where it wasn't his fault. Sure, the actual changes made and the decisions behind those changes might not have involved him. But, had he never made these promises in the first place (and it was indeed from his mouth), there wouldn't have been any issues with the customers feeling like they have been cheated; or at least not as many complaints. So, maybe Mattel is to blame...for not closely overseeing an employee that rambled about the mouth with incorrect information to the public.

    But maybe this isn't enough for you. How about this...

    On the other hand, a lie is an intentionally false statement.
    Ok...I will agree with that. So then...

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Things like "scare tactics" was the reality of the toy industry. Without locked in sub sales, there was just no way to get approval on a year full of product".
    ...and during the 2014 sub drive, he said this, "So to wrap up, I promise this is not a scare tactic or a roller coaster ride."

    I'd say that was an intentional false statement. No conspiracy, just his own testimony. Blaming the industry for the tactic doesn't change the fact that he did it, nor make it any less of a lie. It was an intentional manipulation to increase sales, which he had previously denied doing.

    So, to those that will just chalk this up to "not knowing how business really works" or "get over it", neither of those things actually apply here. Especially when the man in question created this very thread, so it is on topic, and it also fulfills his request to prove with one example that he does indeed lie to the customers. It's not even about getting the figures as a result of these lies. It's not about being a fall guy, since he literally said all of that. It has been, and always was about blatant misinformation, misdirection and denial, resulting in trust issues. Saying that is ok just because you love the toys is ethically and morally wrong, excepted only because it worked in your favor. When this is pointed out, it is for the principle of the thing.

    Hopefully this makes things easier for future MOTUC brand managers and all future toy PR reps and fans: Don't make promises that you can't keep. Don't make final, factual statements about stuff that isn't finalized. And, don't deny lying after you've publicly admitted to lying; all things that are common sense and you don't even need a business degree to understand.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; July 16, 2016 at 03:37am.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    74
    No matter what level of petty type type type I matter right now responses are on this . Then sink back into meaninglessness, Scott is the only one here who has actually affected the brand, and in an off the charts amazing way. Please don't give me I vote with my wallet douche chills. Scott is the one who went in and did something. I know there were some color changes made or paintings done, but all of that was only possible because of Scott. So if you feel you mattered to MOTUC, Thank Scott. Would you be happier if Scott never worked for Mattel? I would love to hear responses on that. All the "No but" 's. And mods if what I said is worthy of a demerit or what ever douchie word you call it, please just revoke me. This is insane, everyone wants to be the person on the Internet who got someone. Even if Scott lied about forearms, would you trade your MOTUC to right that wrong?

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior FAN-DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    356
    I'm not a huge fan of TG. But I have to admit that I do enjoy his antics. He kind of reminds me of **** Dastardly from Wacky Races, a villain you love to hate. And I think his "friendship is magic" supporters are always good for a laugh.

    What I don't like is when someone has a difference of opinion and other people try to minimize what they are saying by calling them the "vocal minority", or "grow up", or "you don't understand business". Or my personal fav " our prominent members". All of this is coming from an elitist attitude and is a way of trying to trivialize someone else that doesn't agree with you. I was more upset by Val's post because he resulted to these tactics.

    No one can say if someone is in the "vocal minority" unless you have evidence (numbers) to back you up. So that is nonsense. It's not like He-Man.org is the entire fan base. Comments on other sites don't always line up with the regulars on the org.

    Basically, let's try to have diversity of opinions without minimizing someone else's opinion.
    Last edited by FAN-DOR; July 16, 2016 at 05:26am.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,713
    Personally I think most of the arguments could be avoided completely if Scott just acted like a "regular fan" as he likes to say he is rather than constantly reminding the fandome about his tenure as brand manager at Mattel. He's trying to hold on to the past too much when he's been gone almost three years now. Time Scott just posted as a normal org member and stop always trying to be "Toyguru" As a regular fan and just another org member I think scott would be more enjoyable in conversations if he didn't constantly bring up his tenure and what he did in the past at Mattel but rather just added his personal take on thread conversations without having to bring up his old job.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Personally I think most of the arguments could be avoided completely if Scott just acted like a "regular fan" as he likes to say he is rather than constantly reminding the fandome about his tenure as brand manager at Mattel. He's trying to hold on to the past too much when he's been gone almost three years now. Time Scott just posted as a normal org member and stop always trying to be "Toyguru" As a regular fan and just another org member I think scott would be more enjoyable in conversations if he didn't constantly bring up his tenure and what he did in the past at Mattel but rather just added his personal take on thread conversations without having to bring up his old job.

    Does this only apply to Scott or anyone else who has worked for/with Mattel who might post something interesting about the brand?

    Censorship in not groovy!

    Look how may times people ask him for information regarding his original plans whilst at Mattel. Every time he posts something someone will ask a Matty/Mattel related question. Or read something in the post that is not there and the fun starts all over again.

    Besides, why shouldn't he be able to talk about his past at Mattel? I for one enjoy the bits of information that we get about how decisions were made, challenges that were faced and so on.

    It does not affect me as a fan/collector, but like it or not, its part of MOTU history.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Raziel443's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wigan,Uk
    Posts
    458
    It's good to see you standing up for yourself Scott in this thread and the other one, and not just taking all the **** like you did when you were the brand manager.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,713
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Does this only apply to Scott or anyone else who has worked for/with Mattel who might post something interesting about the brand?

    Censorship in not groovy!

    Look how may times people ask him for information regarding his original plans whilst at Mattel. Every time he posts something someone will ask a Matty/Mattel related question. Or read something in the post that is not there and the fun starts all over again.

    Besides, why shouldn't he be able to talk about his past at Mattel? I for one enjoy the bits of information that we get about how decisions were made, challenges that were faced and so on.

    It does not affect me as a fan/collector, but like it or not, its part of MOTU history.
    It's not Censorship at all. Scott has said many times I'm just a regular fan and fellow collector now that I'm no longer at mattel and have no knolege of the inner workings anymore.
    That's fine if he did that, but he doesn't he still talks about his tenure as the brand manager and what he did at mattel. I'm sorry but what he did is in the past, that's not to say if an org member asks scott a specific question about when he was the brand manager that he shouldn't answer. What I'm saying is Scott bringing it up on his own constantly doesn't make him look like just a "regular fan" but more like he's trying to hold on to an old title when he was more important and I just feel it could avoid a lot of the arguments with other org members.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    It's not Censorship at all. Scott has said many times I'm just a regular fan and fellow collector now that I'm no longer at mattel and have no knolege of the inner workings anymore.
    That's fine if he did that, but he doesn't he still talks about his tenure as the brand manager and what he did at mattel. I'm sorry but what he did is in the past, that's not to say if an org member asks scott a specific question about when he was the brand manager that he shouldn't answer. What I'm saying is Scott bringing it up on his own constantly doesn't make him look like just a "regular fan" but more like he's trying to hold on to an old title when he was more important and I just feel it could avoid a lot of the arguments with other org members.
    Fair enough, but then we the org members need to reply to him as a fan and not as a former brand manager.

    I don't see that happening so I will agree to disagree.

  25. #25
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    21,912
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Personally I think most of the arguments could be avoided completely if Scott just acted like a "regular fan" as he likes to say he is rather than constantly reminding the fandome about his tenure as brand manager at Mattel. He's trying to hold on to the past too much when he's been gone almost three years now. Time Scott just posted as a normal org member and stop always trying to be "Toyguru" As a regular fan and just another org member I think scott would be more enjoyable in conversations if he didn't constantly bring up his tenure and what he did in the past at Mattel but rather just added his personal take on thread conversations without having to bring up his old job.
    I agree. The thing that kicked off everything last night was the reactions to THIS Toyguru quote:

    What I am REALLY excited about is to see 2017 (emphasis added). As a fan and the former brand manager I am really pumped to truly see what Mattel does with zero influence from me or my work.




    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Does this only apply to Scott or anyone else who has worked for/with Mattel who might post something interesting about the brand?

    Censorship in not groovy!

    Look how may times people ask him for information regarding his original plans whilst at Mattel. Every time he posts something someone will ask a Matty/Mattel related question. Or read something in the post that is not there and the fun starts all over again.

    Besides, why shouldn't he be able to talk about his past at Mattel? I for one enjoy the bits of information that we get about how decisions were made, challenges that were faced and so on.

    It does not affect me as a fan/collector, but like it or not, its part of MOTU history.
    But we DO have censorship already, so there is a precedent. It can join the other topics and terms which we can't speak on in these forums in order to keep the peace around here.

    If TG constantly bringing up past glories and revealing that he was actually the man behind every new character, beast, vehicle, playset and book that comes out inspires such intense public debate between his supporters AND his critics, then he can limit that information to the PMs of his fans and followers. This way, TG's critics can't question him and his fans don't need to defend him.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •