Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 277

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

  1. #226
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,908
    Hiss is so fresh, even look feminine like..the charismatic part was visually captured. Love it.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  2. #227
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Charismatic cult leader and ruler of legions of Snakemen, this monarch's hypnotic presence hides a terrifying secret...

    https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...ssweb_full.jpg

    Attachment 122391
    Absolutely magnificent Ryan!

    You captured King Hiss's essence perfectly! The apparently friendly smile that can deceive everyone, and the hidden horror of the King of the Snakemen, as the multiple snakes are coming out of his skin! Incredible!

  3. #228
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Absolutely magnificent Ryan!

    You captured King Hiss's essence perfectly! The apparently friendly smile that can deceive everyone, and the hidden horror of the King of the Snakemen, as the multiple snakes are coming out of his skin! Incredible!
    Seconded! I love it!!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  4. #229
    Heroic Fan ART Mod! JafariStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    4,119
    King Hiss is both dynamic & terrifying! *Added bonus I like how his gun holster flap looks like a snake tongue!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

    JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

    Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

  5. #230
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    King Hiss is both dynamic & terrifying! *Added bonus I like how his gun holster flap looks like a snake tongue!
    Thanks all, I'm very glad this interpretation went over so well! The MYP "all creepy, all the time" Hiss had been pretty popular, so I took a risk going back to the original mini comics and toys rather than using the modern version for inspiration----but it seems like more people remember him as the creepy, vacant-faced disguised cultist than the lanky green pharoah after all!

    I wanted this version to be like Thulsa Doom from Conan---a charming, persuasive but vaguely disturbing god-king who can make a follower jump to their doom with a wave. But one look in his eyes and you know in your gut something is very wrong about this person.

    Jafari, great catch on the holster design! I was beginning to doubt anyone would notice that little detail.

  6. #231
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Thanks all, I'm very glad this interpretation went over so well! The MYP "all creepy, all the time" Hiss had been pretty popular, so I took a risk going back to the original mini comics and toys rather than using the modern version for inspiration----but it seems like more people remember him as the creepy, vacant-faced disguised cultist than the lanky green pharoah after all!

    I wanted this version to be like Thulsa Doom from Conan---a charming, persuasive but vaguely disturbing god-king who can make a follower jump to their doom with a wave. But one look in his eyes and you know in your gut something is very wrong about this person.

    Jafari, great catch on the holster design! I was beginning to doubt anyone would notice that little detail.
    Ryan you did a superb job with King Hiss!

    I loved how you did the reptilian armor, transforming in reptilian skin! Indeed it reminded me Thulsa Doom's transformation scene in to a huge snake from the Conan movie! And all this while you keep King Hiss's look, close to his original toy design! An absolute great transition of the original action figure to an awesome "alive" Fantasy character. Well done! You are a fantastic artist!

    I can't wait to see how you will draw Snake Face!
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 16, 2020 at 01:18pm.

  7. #232
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    The Hero of Avion, whose sharp eyes keep a watchful gaze on the borders of the Dark Hemisphere...


  8. #233
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,908
    Pistol armed Stratos... I dig it.
    The foot now is bird like, would you have a version with regular feet? thanks

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  9. #234
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    233
    are you going to do Prince Adam, Battlecat or Orko? maybe do your own interpretations of Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, the Three Towers?

  10. #235
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Pistol armed Stratos... I dig it.
    The foot now is bird like, would you have a version with regular feet? thanks

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    I don't generally alter the images to better match the toys, as the purpose of my interpretations is to create versions that are a little more realistic, gritty and/or cinematic. Besides----technically, there's no such thing as a Stratos with 'regular feet'. His mini comics version had large, splayed feet that were a mix of bird and monkey; his original toy had flat, plastic gray feet with no toes, boots or other details; and his 200x version had gigantic, ape-like feet.

    That's three different versions right there, and only off the top of my head. Stratos only ever looked like a big gray chimp because of the necessities of toy-part recycling in the 80s---this unfortunately led to the creation of a bird man that has no definable bird-like qualities. His wings were mechanical, his body was covered in fur, his face and feet were chimp-like, and he only flew with the intervention of technology.

    This version retains the spirit of the original, while updating his anatomy to something recognizably bird-like. The jury is still out on whether folks will love it or hate it, but hey... if I gave him human feet, imagine the trouble he'd have trying to land on a branch, cliff or outcropping. There's a reason flying animals have strong talons.

  11. #236
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    are you going to do Prince Adam, Battlecat or Orko? maybe do your own interpretations of Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, the Three Towers?
    Since my interpretation of MOTU leans heavily into the original Alcala mini-comics and He-Man's first origin as a savage warrior from a jungle tribe (rather than a superhero alter-ego like Superman), it's highly unlikely you'll ever see a Prince Adam from me---I just never cared for the Filmation changes, and much prefer the 'savage' He-Man from the minicomics who is He-Man all the time. Battlecat and Orko, definitely---they're too popular and too integral not to attempt at some point (who doesn't love a big green tiger?).

    I'd like to one day include locations as well as characters---much will depend on what time permits me to accomplish. But I can envision them in my head clear as day, and I think they'd be a blast to tinker with.

  12. #237
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    The Hero of Avion, whose sharp eyes keep a watchful gaze on the borders of the Dark Hemisphere...

    https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...osweb_full.jpg
    Absolutely loving it!

    The King of Avion in all his glory!!! I love how you mixed the humanoid with the bird features, giving at Stratos the look of a true Bidrman!

    Amazing to see that you add also Stratos's trademark jetpack!!! Also great detail with the Grayskull's symbol, on his belt

    Fantastic interpretation Ryan!!!
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 23, 2020 at 10:21am.

  13. #238
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Since my interpretation of MOTU leans heavily into the original Alcala mini-comics and He-Man's first origin as a savage warrior from a jungle tribe (rather than a superhero alter-ego like Superman), it's highly unlikely you'll ever see a Prince Adam from me---I just never cared for the Filmation changes, and much prefer the 'savage' He-Man from the minicomics who is He-Man all the time. Battlecat and Orko, definitely---they're too popular and too integral not to attempt at some point (who doesn't love a big green tiger?).

    I'd like to one day include locations as well as characters---much will depend on what time permits me to accomplish. But I can envision them in my head clear as day, and I think they'd be a blast to tinker with.
    how about this? maybe Prince Adam could be his real name but his kingdom was destroyed by Skeletor when he was a kid so he was taken in by a jungle tribe. what do you think of that?

  14. #239
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,491
    I love it! The mixture of bird and simian features is perfect. The beak for the upper lip, the bird-like feet, and the feathers & wings are all wonderfully organic! Sensational!!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  15. #240
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,567
    I'm blown away by all of these...the creativity on display is staggering. The designs are incredibly well thought out, and executed flawlessly. Looking forward to more! Especially Webstor, Whiplash, and Clawful!
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

  16. #241
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    I don't generally alter the images to better match the toys, as the purpose of my interpretations is to create versions that are a little more realistic, gritty and/or cinematic. Besides----technically, there's no such thing as a Stratos with 'regular feet'. His mini comics version had large, splayed feet that were a mix of bird and monkey; his original toy had flat, plastic gray feet with no toes, boots or other details; and his 200x version had gigantic, ape-like feet.

    That's three different versions right there, and only off the top of my head. Stratos only ever looked like a big gray chimp because of the necessities of toy-part recycling in the 80s---this unfortunately led to the creation of a bird man that has no definable bird-like qualities. His wings were mechanical, his body was covered in fur, his face and feet were chimp-like, and he only flew with the intervention of technology.

    This version retains the spirit of the original, while updating his anatomy to something recognizably bird-like. The jury is still out on whether folks will love it or hate it, but hey... if I gave him human feet, imagine the trouble he'd have trying to land on a branch, cliff or outcropping. There's a reason flying animals have strong talons.
    It's good sir, seeing your work makes other mind wonder... I'm loving your art truly..

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  17. #242
    Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A thousand dimensions
    Posts
    1,499
    Has the artist planned to editing some art book down on the road? Incredible! I mean, this is all I'm expecting Motu to offer ever since I got back in the game as a customer: serious, perilous... definitely more mature in all aspects. Un grand bravo ŗ lui!
    NEW ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

  18. #243
    Heroic Fan ART Mod! JafariStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    4,119
    Really nice take on Stratos, I did something similar years ago with making his feet more bird-like. As an artist myself, I am curious as to how long it takes you to complete a piece on average?
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

    JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

    Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

  19. #244
    Heroic Warrior rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    76
    Great to see you back Ryan hope allís good with you and as always fantastic work, looking forward to this great thread up and going again. Canít wait for the next installment, and looking forward to your beastman and roboto,


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #245
    Totally Dyslexic
    Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,487
    Your drawings are amazing!

    All this details and new ideas. You are really creative and talented.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  21. #246
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    233
    so whos next?

  22. #247
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I love it! The mixture of bird and simian features is perfect. The beak for the upper lip, the bird-like feet, and the feathers & wings are all wonderfully organic! Sensational!!
    So glad to read comments like these! I feared Stratos was going to be very controversial since he's probably my biggest deviation from the traditional version, but it seems like most MOTU fans understood the reasoning behind the changes (though the bird feet still cause a lot of angst )

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I'm blown away by all of these...the creativity on display is staggering. The designs are incredibly well thought out, and executed flawlessly. Looking forward to more! Especially Webstor, Whiplash, and Clawful!
    My sincere gratitude for these appraisals---whenever life is giving me a kicking, popping in here to read (or re-read) such replies is always uplifting.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    Has the artist planned to editing some art book down on the road? Incredible! I mean, this is all I'm expecting Motu to offer ever since I got back in the game as a customer: serious, perilous... definitely more mature in all aspects. Un grand bravo ŗ lui!
    Thanks! Ideally, what you've described is my planned endgame for this massive undertaking. Once I have a sufficient collection and feel I've covered all the characters (popular and obscure alike) that justify it, I've been chipping away at ideas for getting it all condensed into a single art book---hopefully something official, but Mattel's licensing policies change like the weather, so for now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.



    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Really nice take on Stratos, I did something similar years ago with making his feet more bird-like. As an artist myself, I am curious as to how long it takes you to complete a piece on average?
    Thank you sir, and if it isn't too much hassle I'd love to see your own iteration! I know there are a lot of excellent art threads here on .org, was yours among them? It's possible I browsed it once years back, before I began this endeavor, and found inspiration there---you and I seem to think alike when it comes to design concepts. I always felt Stratos needed a much heavier whole-cloth redesign than most other MOTU characters, for obvious reasons, and I'm guessing you agreed that an avian form was the logical route to take.

    As far as my timetable... that's a toughie. Once upon a time, when I was much healthier and had the fire of youthful ambition, I could crank one of these out every two days, sometimes even one a day if I worked non-stop. It's harder now, both because of deteriorating physical issues and the fact that I'm still working off the rust from several years of hiatus---as a result, I'd say I can produce an illustration like the ones above every three to four days, barring interruptions or other obligations. I'm hoping to cut that back to three, but it all depends on how much my body cooperates (the will is strong, but the flesh is weak, as they say).

    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Great to see you back Ryan hope allís good with you and as always fantastic work, looking forward to this great thread up and going again. Canít wait for the next installment, and looking forward to your beastman and roboto,


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Your drawings are amazing!

    All this details and new ideas. You are really creative and talented.
    Thanks again all! I hope to continue this endeavor as long as my hand can clutch a stylus, so with a little luck I'll get to tackle everyone's favorites sooner or later!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    so whos next?
    I made it a policy years back never to namedrop the next character, for one important reason----I often don't know! I tend to tinker with multiple characters simultaneously, working on line sketches, thumbnails and so on until one of them suddenly grabs me, at which point I dedicate my effort to that character exclusively until it's complete. There are exceptions to the rule----once in awhile I'll put up a vote, allowing fellow MOTU fans to pick from a list of three possibles (as I did with Tung Lashor and I believe Trap Jaw), and sometimes I'll ask friends or particularly dedicated fans (I'm looking at you, Granamyr) to pick a favorite for me to approach next. I plan to do another such vote soon!

  23. #248
    Heroic Warrior RyanBarger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    74
    Bred in the slime pits of the Fright Zone, this insectoid aberration serves Hordak loyally as both spy and informant...



  24. #249
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    233
    planning on doing any She-Ra Characters like She-Ra, Catra, Bow, Leech. Hordak ect ect?

  25. #250
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,491
    I saw this on Facebook earlier, and am happy to see it again. Mantenna is monstrously magnificent!! Wonderful!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •