Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Bred in the slime pits of the Fright Zone, this insectoid aberration serves Hordak loyally as both spy and informant...

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...naweb_full.jpg
    Mantenna look menacing, movie worthy villain in this iteration. I love it.

EDIT:

that earrings are fun to see too....

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; March 31, 2020 at 08:28am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Great piece, the way mantenna ought to be in film form, as the rest of your versions , these are the versions that will always stay in my head when Iím talking about these characters, youíve imported them in a way that I always would have tried to explain but could never vision . Great, definitely you are the Alex Ross of the motu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Great piece, the way mantenna ought to be in film form, as the rest of your versions , these are the versions that will always stay in my head when Iím talking about these characters, youíve imported them in a way that I always would have tried to explain but could never vision . Great, definitely you are the Alex Ross of the motu

As an Alex Ross fan... I agree...

Wow these are all so amazing. Absolutely love your style and the little differences you add to each character. And that spikor.......So BA! My fav so far
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Loving this thread so much!
    Just wondering whether there's any chance of the links to the larger size images on Stratos & Mantenna, as you've done with the earlier ones?
    One day Skeletor will finally conquer Grayskull...
    ...And pigs might fly!

Heroic Warrior
    Bred in the slime pits of the Fright Zone, this insectoid aberration serves Hordak loyally as both spy and informant...

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...naweb_full.jpg
    Ryan, your Mantenna is INSANE!!!!

Best interpretation ever of the character!!! Ryan you need to pubblish a MOTU artwork book!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    planning on doing any She-Ra Characters like She-Ra, Catra, Bow, Leech. Hordak ect ect?
    Any and all of the above! Given the time and energy, I'm gunning for everybody.

As a huge Alex Ross fan, this compliment makes me feel like I just got powered up by a thunderbolt outside of Castle Grayskull!
    Sincere thanks, that's one I won't be forgetting any time soon.

And as ever, thanks to all who take the time to peruse, comment and support this thread---you make a crotchety artist grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigs Might Fly View Post
    Loving this thread so much!
    Just wondering whether there's any chance of the links to the larger size images on Stratos & Mantenna, as you've done with the earlier ones?

That one seems to have been a bit of a bungle on my part, but I'm not sure where exactly---usually the larger version uploads no problem, but for some obtuse reason, both Stratos and Mantenna were just a HAIR over the file size limit for a download link. I'm working on scaling them down just a bit to get around that problem, but the good news is that it'll be redundant soon---I've been in the process of updating and re-creating my old site, and I plan to offer updated, larger-size and higher res versions of all my MOTU art there. I'll be updating everyone once that's available (and of course, I'll continue to post them here as well).

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Ryan, your Mantenna is INSANE!!!!

Best interpretation ever of the character!!! Ryan you need to pubblish a MOTU artwork book!!!
    Someday, old friend! I did a little calculation of how long it (should) take me to finish the full set of characters I'd like to tackle, including both core characters and obscure ones, and it's not as long as I first thought. So I may be tackling that hurdle sooner than I expected.

Much will hinge on where Mattel's licensing policies stand at the time, whether I could even wrangle direct contact with them, and how much cheddar I could put together via a patreon or Kickstarter campaign---but if a few things fall into line, I believe it's possible (hey, I'm a dreamer). If I can't clear those hurdles, I'll find SOME damn way for all the awesome MOTU fans who've supported me all these years to get quality copies of the collection, in one format or another. There are a few... let's just say 'alternate' methods that some fan artists have used to accomplish this in the past, but I'd prefer for mine to be official if at all possible.

Here's hoping!

That one seems to have been a bit of a bungle on my part, but I'm not sure where exactly---usually the larger version uploads no problem, but for some obtuse reason, both Stratos and Mantenna were just a HAIR over the file size limit for a download link. I'm working on scaling them down just a bit to get around that problem, but the good news is that it'll be redundant soon---I've been in the process of updating and re-creating my old site, and I plan to offer updated, larger-size and higher res versions of all my MOTU art there. I'll be updating everyone once that's available (and of course, I'll continue to post them here as well).
    That sounds awesome - thanks for letting us know.
    One day Skeletor will finally conquer Grayskull...
    ...And pigs might fly!

In addition to the mind-blowing art, your simple bio lines for each character sums them up perfectly, without a lot of added convoluted baggage. I love it! Paired with the image, it's like "oh yeah, I forgot... THAT'S who this person is!"
    It's like cardbacks for adults... LOL!
    Last edited by zodak74; April 1, 2020 at 09:47am.

Absolutely gorgeous art you have here. Fantastic stuff!

Heroic Warrior
    Any and all of the above! Given the time and energy, I'm gunning for everybody.
    including Prince Adam? you could just have him be when He-Man was a kid who was taken in by a jungle tribe after Skeletor conquered his kingdom.

Thank you sir, and if it isn't too much hassle I'd love to see your own iteration! I know there are a lot of excellent art threads here on .org, was yours among them? It's possible I browsed it once years back, before I began this endeavor, and found inspiration there---you and I seem to think alike when it comes to design concepts. I always felt Stratos needed a much heavier whole-cloth redesign than most other MOTU characters, for obvious reasons, and I'm guessing you agreed that an avian form was the logical route to take.

As far as my timetable... that's a toughie. Once upon a time, when I was much healthier and had the fire of youthful ambition, I could crank one of these out every two days, sometimes even one a day if I worked non-stop. It's harder now, both because of deteriorating physical issues and the fact that I'm still working off the rust from several years of hiatus---as a result, I'd say I can produce an illustration like the ones above every three to four days, barring interruptions or other obligations. I'm hoping to cut that back to three, but it all depends on how much my body cooperates (the will is strong, but the flesh is weak, as they say).
    No hassle, I did a series way back in 2012-2015 called MOTU: ORIGIN CHARACTER ART CARDS. I planned on doing a lot more but have not returned to the project. It captures obscure characters & iterations, & concepts of MOTU characters.

You can see the gallery here: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...p?albumid=1317

Maybe something there will inspire a new recreation! Your Mantenna is a twisted, bugly, joy! I am glad you have returned, as every entry has been a visual feast, and the timetable you are creating these in is quite impressive! Take care & cheers!
    -JS
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    No hassle, I did a series way back in 2012-2015 called MOTU: ORIGIN CHARACTER ART CARDS. I planned on doing a lot more but have not returned to the project. It captures obscure characters & iterations, & concepts of MOTU characters.

You can see the gallery here: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...p?albumid=1317

Maybe something there will inspire a new recreation! Your Mantenna is a twisted, bugly, joy! I am glad you have returned, as every entry has been a visual feast, and the timetable you are creating these in is quite impressive! Take care & cheers!
    -JS
    Both of you guys are extremely talented! Jafari you should get back into it, would love to see more of your work
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

I give you Stratos, Hero of Avion, take two!

In a nutshell, the original Stratos has nagged at me since I posted it---certain issues with the pose being inconsistent (both in scale and orientation) with the other twenty illustrations, small but persistent irritations regarding aspects of the anatomy, and a handful of other nuisances have kept me revisiting it frequently. And I always trust my gut on this score---if I keep re-checking an illustration after it's completed, then something didn't pass muster.

So I've revisited the birdman while I continue to prep my new site for its launch. It seemed an appropriate time since I've already been making small tweaks to the remaining illustrations for the same endeavor.

Most folks might not notice any change except the pose, which I consider superior---its more dynamic, more action-packed, more consistent with the scale ratio of his pals, and it shows off more of his grace and agility in midair. His facial features are largely unchanged, as they were among the more successful aspects of my redesign; however I did adjust his feet to find a more traditional middle-ground between bird talons and humanoid feet. In addition to some costume tweaks, I also made his overall color scheme more gray to better match the classic Stratos everyone is familiar with. He's also been slimmed down a bit to better fit an aerial acrobat.

I hope you enjoy this second rendition! In the meantime, I hope to have news on the website very soon, along with some added surprises unique to that venue. I'll be putting in every available hour on that goal until it's complete, so I can get back to new characters ASAP!

This was largely a personal vanity, but I've learned that when I try to ignore my perfectionism it just redoubles its efforts (most illustrators will understand). Solving the problem now made more sense to me than waiting another three years to revisit a less-than-satisfying presentation as I did with my old He-Man solo illustration.

My gratitude in advance for your patience as I complete this endeavor. Take care all, and stay safe.

(Sidebar: since I'm still having the same issue posting a thumbnail of a larger-sized file, I went ahead and just used that file for the display image this time. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a stopgap until I suss out another).

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    In addition to the mind-blowing art, your simple bio lines for each character sums them up perfectly, without a lot of added convoluted baggage. I love it! Paired with the image, it's like "oh yeah, I forgot... THAT'S who this person is!"
    It's like cardbacks for adults... LOL!
    Much obliged! As a visual/narrative storyteller at heart, there's always the temptation to drop seventeen paragraphs of background lore you metabolized to create a new interpretation----but as you said, often I find it gets in the way. Letting the art speak for itself with only a minor blurb allows every fan to transpose whatever ideas they prefer onto the rendition, and that's half the fun of doing fan art.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    including Prince Adam? you could just have him be when He-Man was a kid who was taken in by a jungle tribe after Skeletor conquered his kingdom.
    Trouble is, even if I were amenable to adding that kind of backstory onto my preferred version of the canon, the modern-day He-Man would still just be He-Man, wearing his furs and leathers and other trappings----so a Prince Adam illustration would really just be another He-Man pic, if you see what I mean? Unless I drew him as a small boy, in which case that doesn't really suit anyone's preferences or nostalgia .

I understand why so many folks are attached to Prince Adam; I get it. But for me, TV reception was sparse, I fought with every member of my family for TV time, so I only saw an occasional Filmation show as a child. My Eternia came from my imagination, the toys, and the early mini-comics, probably in that order. I had to fill in so many blanks, I relied entirely on those little magazines until they were worn through like toilet paper.

As I grew up, I was also a huge fan of sword and sorcery, post-apocalyptic and especially barbarian fiction---Conan chief among them. So it seemed perfectly suited that He-Man was one member of some noble tribe of primitive savages who had once been paragons of humanity and strength, lost in the Great Wars and left to degenerate in a remote jungle. But they never forgot their mandate to battle evil, and even as savages they probably had rituals---raising their young to be strong, brave, fearless and cunning, until one day the very best of the lot were all tested, with the victor told that his 'prize' was to leave the jungle; to seek out evil and destroy it, for that was their purpose.

The image of a barbarian in a fur loincloth, with nothing but a spear and his strength, forging out into blasted wastes to seek out injustice----that really entranced me, and still does. I understand why compromises were made for the cartoon, but those compromises turned it into something so far from what I imagined that it never really grabbed me. When I finally caught an episode here and there, I was often left bewildered by the differences.

It's not impossible that I may one day approach the character; but of all the designs in traditional MOTU, Adam remains the biggest long shot. Sorry my friend, I hate to disappoint anyone!

Great update Ryan , both stratos versions are fantastic, but your right if itís niggeling your better sorting in now rather than later , I take it we are still on the rotation of hero then villain, will the next be a hero after mantenna last week

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post

-JS
    Dude, these are outstanding! I'm going to be perusing these and poaching some of these ideas for sure

No, in seriousness, I try never to outright 'borrow' someone else's designs---but inspiration, these will provide in spades. Thanks for giving me a glimpse into this collection my friend, I can't wait to study them all!

Edit: Had to pop back in and add----Mermista has me enraptured! Kudos Jafari, I'm very impressed.
    Last edited by RyanBarger; April 6, 2020 at 12:21pm.

Great update Ryan , both stratos versions are fantastic, but your right if itís niggeling your better sorting in now rather than later , I take it we are still on the rotation of hero then villain, will the next be a hero after mantenna last week

I'm long overdue to hit another obscure character---given that my last was a villain (both in terms of Mantenna, and in terms of obscures, which was Strongarm) you can be pretty sure a deep-cut heroic character will follow next!

My head has already started to speculate who it could be. Keep up the fantastic work Ryan, your a breath off fresh air in these hard and uncertain times. This takes our minds off the situation and Weíre all glued to this thread as a much needed release

I give you Stratos, Hero of Avion, take two!

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...osart_full.jpg.
    Love this one. Thanks for sharing and glad you're healthy.

the anticipation and excitement , whoís it gonna be ????