Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Ryan, please allow me to congratulate me once more!

This is my favorite and the best picture of Tri-Klops that i' ve seen. And the best design so far!

Again an incredible mix of Trike's 200X and Classic version! Of course the combination of the Fantasy and Sci/Fi is prefectly balanced! Love the other small additions as well, like the "gladiatorial armor" in the one arm. And of course the scars are nice details on a guy who had a very hard life as the ultimate bounty hunter, which already is a very "tough profession"!

Thanks Ryan for making Trike so awesome, badass and a really looking lethal opponent! By the way he is my favorite Evil Warrior as well!

Ryan please don't stop!!!
    Thanks again Granamyr for your continued high praise and well-considered analysis. Tri-Klops was my first figure and has had a special place in my heart ever since---particularly the mini-comics interpretation of him as the 'ultimate bounty hunter', as you so aptly put it. I figured a guy like that would no doubt be riddled with scars from a life spent doing nothing but seeking challenging and worthy prey (not to mention from whatever injuries he suffered that robbed him of his sight).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Thanks again Granamyr for your continued high praise and well-considered analysis. Tri-Klops was my first figure and has had a special place in my heart ever since---particularly the mini-comics interpretation of him as the 'ultimate bounty hunter', as you so aptly put it. I figured a guy like that would no doubt be riddled with scars from a life spent doing nothing but seeking challenging and worthy prey (not to mention from whatever injuries he suffered that robbed him of his sight).
    You are really welcome and i really wish again that someone at Mattel notice your awesome artwork!!

And as you very well said that is one of the parts that personally appeals to me more at Tri-Klops. The concept of the perfect swordsman being actually a blind warrior (like Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury)!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I love your art pieces. Wow!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

You are really welcome and i really wish again that someone at Mattel notice your awesome artwork!!

And as you very well said that is one of the parts that personally appeals to me more at Tri-Klops. The concept of the perfect swordsman being actually a blind warrior (like Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury)!
    Yeah, a nod from Mattel or anyone in the official He-Man circles would be pretty damn cool for sure. But I get the feeling they've been mum on the whole brand for a while now, so I'm not expecting any miracles. Like most people here, I just want them to do something great with MOTU again after all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I love your art pieces. Wow!
    Thanks Penny, glad you're enjoying my work so far!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks Penny, glad you're enjoying my work so far!
    That Defender of Grayskull piece blew my mind. And I love that you included Goat Man and Strongarm. The details and mood are just fantastic. I'm loving all the individual characters you are presenting as well!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    That Defender of Grayskull piece blew my mind. And I love that you included Goat Man and Strongarm. The details and mood are just fantastic. I'm loving all the individual characters you are presenting as well!
    Those two just don't get enough credit! Strongarm in particular is one of my favorite He-Man characters, such a badass design. Originally I'd intended to squeeze Fang Man in there too and complete the trifecta of obscure Filmation minions, but I remain uncertain whether he's been reclassified as a snake man these days... as a result, I went with a more classic bad guy. Thanks again for the kind words!

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    These are so, so awesome! Thanks for sharing these - they're amazing!

No words exist to say how AWESOME these are!!!!
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    These are Awesome!
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Lovely dynamic gestures (not hackneyed comic book poses), gorgeous lighting and textures. Love the flesh tones on Tri-Klops especially. Great work!

Man. These designs are amazing. You should get a hold of Val and see if he can pass along your designs to the people in charge of the movie. I'm sure whatever we get from the movie will not be this well done. I'm sure it will be over-detailed and not hit the mark to the core of the characters like these designs.

Man-At-Arms is my favorite character and I think you did him justice here. Thanks for posting these again!

These look amazing Honestly, this is some of the best Motu art I have ever seen. I would buy a comic line and figure line based on these looks in a hearbeat

Once again all, sincere thanks for the feedback and votes of confidence. As far as books, movies or comics, I expect no official acknowledgement to ever come of my versions, earth-shatteringly cool as it might be. That's been a dream of mine for ages, but I'm having fun just playing in the sandbox with or without a nod from the big boys.

With that, I give you the Captain of Eternia's Royal Guard...

Teela Art.jpg
    Teela Art 2.jpg
    Last edited by RyanBarger; January 31, 2016 at 05:18pm. Reason: Added a slight variant of Teela without her serpent cowl and breastplate

OMG!!
    Perfection pure perfection!
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Heroic Warrior
    Once again all, sincere thanks for the feedback and votes of confidence. As far as books, movies or comics, anyone who has a good, firm grip on an ear at Mattel or DC, do your stuff! In all seriousness though, I expect no official acknowledgement to ever come of this, earth-shattering as it might be. That's been a dream of mine for ages, but I'm having fun just playing in the sandbox with or without a nod from the big boys.

With that, I give you the Captain of Eternia's Royal Guard...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...small_full.jpg

Teela Art.jpg
    Wow!!

Now this is an awesome depiction of Eternia's Warrior Goddess!!!

Again an incredible mixing of elements from different MOTU Eras, and with the addition of amazing new details!! Teela's face is clearly Filmation inspired! The steel expression, the hair reflect the Filmation version, but also Teela's toughness and discipline. The tiara also, but with the great addition of a cobra on the top, that recalls the original design, and replace the snake headress! The Snake Armor is clearly a tribute to the Vintage toy as the rest of the outfit, but with the addition fur in the edges, that gives a more barbaric look! This is a great detail! The Staff of Ka is also present but far more detailed and with a dagger in the other half, which gives a more likely weapon appearance! The vintage toy shield is also another nice detail. And like He-Man, Teela also carries a laser gun, like she did in the 87's movie! Overall a fantastic job!!

Please Ryan keep them coming!!
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 30, 2016 at 10:24pm.

Nice!!!
    Love her
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

I don't know how you get these done so fast.
    Teela has a lovely stern expression, reminds me a bit of Nicole Kidman in her younger years. Your design work makes her look like a barbarian princess and that is wonderful! Big props on her anatomy, she looks solid & strong (her hands & knees came out soooo good!!)
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I don't know how you get these done so fast.
    Teela has a lovely stern expression, reminds me a bit of Nicole Kidman in her younger years. Your design work makes her look like a barbarian princess and that is wonderful! Big props on her anatomy, she looks solid & strong (her hands & knees came out soooo good!!)
    It's become something of an obsession, lol. Usually my aimless drawing doesn't go anywhere, and doesn't have much of an audience, so I tend to drift from subject to subject. This has been such a success with so many people and so much fun for me that I find it's consuming my waking hours! Fortunately, I can use the distraction. I don't often have a lot of energy these days, so when it hits----I need to milk the hell out of it.

You don't know how great it is to hear anatomy compliments!! I agonize over every knuckle, joint and muscle to the point of aggravation (the price of freehand art I suppose). It's a massive relief when all the flaws I see or imagine turn out to be (mostly) in my head.

It's nice to see Teela as a woman again instead of a bratty, snarky teenager.

WOW!!! This stuff is amazing!!!
    The 80's. The decade of the best cartoons, ever.

Hey all, just a small vanity update today. I realized with some dismay that I'd forgotten to include Skeletor's iconic crystal ball on his original staff, so I went in to rectify that... I ended up altering his pose a bit (the original felt a bit awkward and less imposing than what I was shooting for), darkening his color scheme and adding a little bit of extra costume detail. Nothing too major, but worth a re-post. Thanks!

One last update, then it's on to another evil minion (and perhaps a more obscure minion than folks would expect...)

So I've been looking back at Teela quite a lot the last few days, and something has irked me. Part of it is an issue some others have touched on; she just had too much junk on her attire. Wires and cables are cool for a guy like Man-At-Arms who is a lumbering tank, but Teela is meant to be graceful and lovely. I also wasn't a huge fan of how the costume I designed was fitting on her... the loincloth looked too long, the fabric and belts didn't hug her in the right places, etc...

I went back and reconsidered the three most core aspects of her persona (from a visual standpoint): 1. Badass (I think I got that part down okay), 2. Stern (same here) and 3. Sexy (this is where I think I failed). I believe I spent so much time trying to make her look like she could whip your ass that I somewhat neglected to make her look gorgeous in the process.

With that in mind, I stole the parts I liked (I think I nailed her face/hair and a few bits and bobs from her original costume) and just repainted the rest from scratch. This is my preferred and intended version, and I hope you enjoy! More to come soon.

Teela Art.jpg

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    These are all awesome! Wish I had your talent....
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Heroic Warrior
    One last update, then it's on to another evil minion (and perhaps a more obscure minion than folks would expect...)

So I've been looking back at Teela quite a lot the last few days, and something has irked me. Part of it is an issue some others have touched on; she just had too much junk on her attire. Wires and cables are cool for a guy like Man-At-Arms who is a lumbering tank, but Teela is meant to be graceful and lovely. I also wasn't a huge fan of how the costume I designed was fitting on her... the loincloth looked too long, the fabric and belts didn't hug her in the right places, etc...

I went back and reconsidered the three most core aspects of her persona (from a visual standpoint): 1. Badass (I think I got that part down okay), 2. Stern (same here) and 3. Sexy (this is where I think I failed). I believe I spent so much time trying to make her look like she could whip your ass that I somewhat neglected to make her look gorgeous in the process.

With that in mind, I stole the parts I liked (I think I nailed her face/hair and a few bits and bobs from her original costume) and just repainted the rest from scratch. This is my preferred and intended version, and I hope you enjoy! More to come soon.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...mall1_full.jpg

Teela Art.jpg
    Amazing again!!! Really love Teela's updated redesign!!! And great idea to replace the Staff with her Sword! It adds a more warrior feeling to her appearance.

Amazing again!!! Really love Teela's updated redesign!!! And great idea to replace the Staff with her Sword! It adds a more warrior feeling to her appearance.

Thanks Granamyr! And I agree, once I ditched the snake cowl armor, it felt tonally wrong to keep the staff... particularly since this is the warrior version and not so much the Goddess version.

As much as I liked your original Teela... I like the "non-armored", and new "no-armored" version EVEN BETTER!!

The updated Skeletor is an improvement too!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."