Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Awesome design, I look forward to reviewing these each time you issue a new one, Teela combines her raw beauty with a fierce warrior, you've perfectly blended them! It seems if I'm not mistaken you've blended some indian elements on her design, in the feathers, fur and boots, that is an amazing extension on her character that really works well for her, kind of like a priestess, befitting the future sorceress!

Amazing redesign, it I love both of them! A warrior priestess is what she strikes me as, a perfect blend of the captain of the guard and the future sorceress!

One of the many abominations dredged up from some sub-Eternian hell to fight in Skeletor's arena...

Spikor Art.jpg
    Last edited by RyanBarger; February 6, 2016 at 12:58am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    One of the many abominations dredged up from some sub-Eternian hell to fight in Skeletor's arena...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...mall0_full.jpg

Spikor Art.jpg
    Ryan this is INCREDIBLE! This is the best and most terrifying, monstrous version of Spykor by far! A mix between gladiator, orc and alien creature while still recognizable with the Vintage toy! I can only immagine how Two Bad, Mer-Man, Clawful and Whiplash could look like under your amazing talent!

I liked also very much that the spikes are looking more realistic and natural in you design. They feel like being indeed part of Spikor's body structure, instead of resemble an armor motorcycle jacket, like the 80's design seemed to.
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 6, 2016 at 12:34pm.

Wow, just wow, this is incredible work!!!

Lol, say that avatar looks familiar!

That Spikor is BRUTAL!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Evil Master of Mechanisms HordeMonkey's Avatar
    Auckland, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Hey dude, just figured I'd weigh in on this series as I'm loving what you're putting out! I'm pretty bad with leaving comments, but your Spikor drew me in, haha. He's definitely one of my favourite villains in MOTU.

Honestly, I think the new movie team should get you working on concept art. These designs would translate really well on screen! You embellish enough to add just the right amount of OOMPH, while keeping the characters recogniseable by not straying too far from their iconic looks. Sword, sorcery, science. It's all there.

Anyway, definitely keep it up. Ride this wave of inspiration as long as you can!
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...mall0_full.jpg

Spikor Art.jpg
    Well... This is going to give me nightmares
    The 80's. The decade of the best cartoons, ever.

I love you art, amazing work. Would love to see you take a crack at a character like Fangman or Saurod
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar

Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

I'm holding out hope for a Sorceress...
    These continue to be incredible.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Ryan this is INCREDIBLE! This is the best and most terrifying, monstrous version of Spykor by far! A mix between gladiator, orc and alien creature while still recognizable with the Vintage toy! I can only immagine how Two Bad, Mer-Man, Clawful and Whiplash could look like under your amazing talent!

I liked also very much that the spikes are looking more realistic and natural in you design. They feel like being indeed part of Spikor's body structure, instead of resemble an armor motorcycle jacket, like the 80's design seemed to.
    I went back and forth quite a lot on whether to present Spikor more as the hideous, brutal monster his name and concept suggested, or go more the MOTU classics route of a man who had been cursed and 'fused' into a suit of spiky, hideous armor so that he was no longer recognizable. The latter would go a long way to explaining why the old toy seemed to be encased in a spiky chest plate with stud fasteners, but... ultimately I felt like that would require more explanation than a simple illustration can get across. Turning him into something monstrous and unspeakable from the Demon Zone or Subternia felt more natural to me, so the spikes became more organic in turn.

Heroic Warrior
    I went back and forth quite a lot on whether to present Spikor more as the hideous, brutal monster his name and concept suggested, or go more the MOTU classics route of a man who had been cursed and 'fused' into a suit of spiky, hideous armor so that he was no longer recognizable. The latter would go a long way to explaining why the old toy seemed to be encased in a spiky chest plate with stud fasteners, but... ultimately I felt like that would require more explanation than a simple illustration can get across. Turning him into something monstrous and unspeakable from the Demon Zone or Subternia felt more natural to me, so the spikes became more organic in turn.
    Thanks again for the feedback Ryan. Its great to know the artist's thoughts and ideas, for his artwork!

I agree completely with your idea about Spikor!
    Always envisioned him as a Subternian inhabitant, a hybrid between an alien and orc-like creature (Fantasy and Sci/fi mixing), that somehow Skeletor recruited not only for his nightmarish, terrifying appearance, and his brutal, savage nature, but also for doing his metal work.
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 7, 2016 at 04:33pm.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quite a talented artist! Keep up the impressive work!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Your draws deserve a Toyline Ryan !
    Really awesome !
    Keep going drawing new ones !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

This is the first time ever I post on this forum. Actually, I registered only to say how much I love your work, Ryan. This is how I always envisioned MOTU in my dreams! On a sidenote, I like how you managed to put an H in the classic cross symbol on He-Man’s chest and on his sword. Once I saw it, I was like: “OK, this is how it's supposed to be. Finally, someone got it right.” Now, I can only pray to the Goddess so the new movie staff look at your awesome illustrations and contact you to get onboard. But thanks to your images, I already have the perfect movie in my mind, and I don't know if something live-action could live up to it.
    Good journey
    PS: sorry for my bad English (I'm from France).

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyZarkov View Post
    This is the first time ever I post on this forum. Actually, I registered only to say how much I love your work, Ryan. This is how I always envisioned MOTU in my dreams! On a sidenote, I like how you managed to put an H in the classic cross symbol on He-Man’s chest and on his sword. Once I saw it, I was like: “OK, this is how it's supposed to be. Finally, someone got it right.” Now, I can only pray to the Goddess so the new movie staff look at your awesome illustrations and contact you to get onboard. But thanks to your images, I already have the perfect movie in my mind, and I don't know if something live-action could live up to it.
    Good journey
    That deserves a movie you are right Charly !
    I hope if a movie is made, they will use the character you made.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

By the way, Ryan, am I right to think you are a fan of Warhammer too? Spikor here sure looks like he's fighting for the Chaos!

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    These are all amazing! I wish we could have these in action figure form!

This is great art Ryan, absolutely fantastic, cant wait to see more. love the gladiatorial feel you give them, cant wait for your takes on Mer-man and Beastman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I love you art, amazing work. Would love to see you take a crack at a character like Fangman or Saurod
    Fang Man is an absolute must for me---he was damn close to being in the original poster I did. As far as the movie guys, I may actually go a different design direction: instead of adding detail and sci-fi, just take their already highly detailed film designs and "action figure" them up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-MoodZ View Post
    Awesome design, I look forward to reviewing these each time you issue a new one, Teela combines her raw beauty with a fierce warrior, you've perfectly blended them! It seems if I'm not mistaken you've blended some indian elements on her design, in the feathers, fur and boots, that is an amazing extension on her character that really works well for her, kind of like a priestess, befitting the future sorceress!

Amazing redesign, it I love both of them! A warrior priestess is what she strikes me as, a perfect blend of the captain of the guard and the future sorceress!
    Awesome feedback, and great eye for detail. Glad the different takes went over so well!

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Well... This is going to give me nightmares
    Oh, don't worry... Spikor has plenty of room on those pig-stickers for another skull...

Good journey
    Your English is a million times more fluent than my French, I promise you. Glad you visited, and I'm pleased the designs were a hit. Good catch on the 'H' shapes---you're the first anywhere to notice or comment on it!

By the way, Ryan, am I right to think you are a fan of Warhammer too? Spikor here sure looks like he's fighting for the Chaos!
    Correct! I did so much professional work for various Warhammer products (chiefly the RPG developed by Fantasy Flight Games) that the whole setting kind of spilled into my blood. But I always loved the chaos aspect of it, the idea of rampant hideous mutations in a fantasy setting was very novel and interesting to me. Plus I visited the Inevitable City in the (sadly short-lived) Warhammer MMO, and it always stuck with me as a source of thematic inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    This is great art Ryan, absolutely fantastic, cant wait to see more. love the gladiatorial feel you give them, cant wait for your takes on Mer-man and Beastman.
    Thanks Rojo. Getting all of the core evil warriors drawn and doing as much justice to them as possible is a high priority. Beastman because he tends to get treated like a used dishrag in all media, and Mer-Man because he's a damn MONARCH!! He deserves to be a formidable and frightening villain.

My Ultimate dream: you doing a piece on Beast Man and Grizzlor locked in fierce hand to hand combat! The two most savage characters depicted by the most badass MOTU artist out there!
    Are you offering prints of your amazing work? I'd buy all of it before you could say: the Second Ultimate Battleground!
    If the elusive upcoming live action MOTU movie decided to use your designs, I could die a happy man, the day after the premiere, of course..!
    Leech sucks..!

Thank you for your answers Ryan
    What I love most about Warhammer is the lovecraftian influences, and “rampant hideous mutations” is music to my ears
    Now, I'm really impatient to see your take on Mer-Man (I wonder if there is a location similar to Innsmouth on Eternia?).

Widget
    Loving these. Thanks for sharing.

omg, can we have some Action figures based on These masterpiece artworks please???

unbelievable - I cant wait for a Scare Glow drawing... pleeeeeease...

Wow, truly fantastic work!

These are just incredible. You're just absurdly talented, sir.

Seriously, I never thought I'd like Spikor...