Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Wow!!!

Your work is incredible. I particularly like Skeletor and Evil-Lyn.

Every piece is awesome, but I almost wish I hadn't seen your Webstor!!

Can't wait to see your next amazing pieces.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

The most powerful man in the universe...

He Man Art.jpg

Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Incredible art here Ryan, every time a go to your thread you seem to post another unbelievable bit off art. This He-Man is so detailed and his serious expression and rugged look makes him stand out from any other he-man I've seen. This has to be the best take on He-man yet. Fantastic

I like how you really embrace the Viking / barbarian look of the character instead of worrying about how to put pants on him.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Ryan, BEST HE-MAN PORTRAIT, that personally i have ever seen!

Everything is incredibly well represented and designed:

- Barbarian look with long hair giving He-Man a more badass look, check!
    - BATTLE AXE YESSSSSSSSS!!!! The main He-Man weapon. check! I loved the futuristic/barbarian and techno-Viking design of it!
    - Shield, check!
    - The Power Sword, check!
    - The woolly cape as an amazing addition, check!
    - Laser gun as the Sci/Fi element, check!
    - The Grayskull's symbols on the belt and his knee double check!!

Overall FANTASTIC!!! This is the Most Powerful Man in the Universe, in all his Barbarian Glory, may i add!!! Please don't stop!!!!
    -
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 11, 2016 at 10:51pm.

He-Man is so METAL!!! *insert guitar solo here* Awesome!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Fantastic job! I love how the shape of the shield is reminescent of He-Man's classic cross. Minor gripe: I prefered the simpler style of the chest symbol on your Defender of Grayskull piece. But overall, that's the best He-Man I have ever seen. The hair reminds me a bit of Alcala in the mini-comics, only longer and messier. The necklace made of some savage beast's fangs is a great addition. Which makes me wonder: do you know about a French comic book character called Rahan? He was a blonde, loincloth-wearing, highly skilled caveman from Earth's mythical prehistory, and used to wear such a necklace.

Ryan, I love your aesthetic and renderings! I'm not a fan of digital art so much, but there are amazing!!! I'm especially fond of your Man-at-Arms and Spikor designs! Keep up the awesome work

More..more..more!!!! These are AWESOME!
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

All of these are a wonder!

I can easily say, that these are the best art pieces I've seen since the original art on the 80's boxes.
    Keep em comming. I really like to se more
    80's motu collector. www.dadude.nl

Psychotic cyborg fugitive from another dimension...

Trap Jaw Art.jpg

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    really nice work !!!
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Heroic Warrior
    Psychotic cyborg fugitive from another dimension...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...small_full.jpg

Trap Jaw Art.jpg
    Oh Gods of Eternia, this is another masterpiece, and perhaps this is my favorite one (until the next one of course, because with your incredible artwork Ryan, this is more than certain)!!!

Ryan, loved the fact that you go with the mini comic colours from Trap-Jaw's first appearance! The weapon is more Filmation inspired. And the hook on the back of his leg is an amazing addition. It's great that you combined the cyborg aspect with the Frankenstein's monster appearance, since both these elements have been part of poor Kronis, after what Skeletor did to him (i always gowith the great 200X's origin story when it comes to Trap-Jaw, but Kronis is still a mercenary/fugitive from another world that dared to challenge Skeletor and the result was Trap-Jaw's creation)! And the best part of your design is, that you used an actual metallic color for the cybernetic implants, instead of the usual cartoonish "pinkish" ones.

So another INCREDIBLE addition!!! Ryan please don't stop!

By the way i' m really curious to see your Battle Cat. I have a feeling that is going to be INSANE!!!
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 15, 2016 at 10:46pm.

I really LOVE that you used his mini-comic origin appearance as major inspiration for this piece! This is one of the best ones yet You really get the sense that the cybernetic parts are what's keeping him alive... almost like they are more alive than his body is.

Another beautiful piece of artwork. Congrats, Ryan ! The Frankenstein monster influence is obvious, but it also reminds me of some cannibalistic cyborg from the 1990s’ Judge Dredd movie.
    On another note, I'm now convinced the role of Trap-Jaw should belong to Dave Bautista.

There are some really great concepts in here; thank you for sharing them with us.

fantastic again ryan, loved trapjaw when i was young , this version is just ideal in looks and the detail is unbelivable, and as zodak74 said ( You really get the sense that the cybernetic parts are what's keeping him alive...) is very true. i see that your rotating your art posts evil/hero/evil/hero etc, would i be right in saying we are due a heroic warrior next? such a great thread here, looking forward to your next post.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyZarkov View Post
    Fantastic job! I love how the shape of the shield is reminescent of He-Man's classic cross. Minor gripe: I prefered the simpler style of the chest symbol on your Defender of Grayskull piece. But overall, that's the best He-Man I have ever seen. The hair reminds me a bit of Alcala in the mini-comics, only longer and messier. The necklace made of some savage beast's fangs is a great addition. Which makes me wonder: do you know about a French comic book character called Rahan? He was a blonde, loincloth-wearing, highly skilled caveman from Earth's mythical prehistory, and used to wear such a necklace.
    Thanks Charly! The Alcala He-Man is definitely my muse overall, so I'm glad that reads clearly. I waffled quite a bit on the original Iron Cross from the Defender of Grayskull poster... I actually drew it in that simpler, blocky style three or four times but something about it just didn't click when seen straight-on. I ended up going a little more ornate, but in the process lost that subtle 'H' shape... like you, I'm not convinced it was a fair trade! But that's the beauty of this stuff, I can always revisit it.

I'm not familiar with Rahan---is the character anything like Ka-Zar? These crazed blonde barbarians keep crawling out of the woodwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Ryan, I love your aesthetic and renderings! I'm not a fan of digital art so much, but there are amazing!!! I'm especially fond of your Man-at-Arms and Spikor designs! Keep up the awesome work
    Thanks Mysterio. I've always done my best to 'paint' digitally in the same way I would illustrate traditionally, one stroke at a time and everything freehand, in the hopes that it might escape the overly glossy, airbrushed look that permeates so much digital art. Glad you like it despite your misgivings on the medium!

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Oh Gods of Eternia, this is another masterpiece, and perhaps this is my favorite one (until the next one of course, because with your incredible artwork Ryan, this is more than certain)!!!

Ryan, loved the fact that you go with the mini comic colours from Trap-Jaw's first appearance! The weapon is more Filmation inspired. And the hook on the back of his leg is an amazing addition. It's great that you combined the cyborg aspect with the Frankenstein's monster appearance, since both these elements have been part of poor Kronis, after what Skeletor did to him (i always gowith the great 200X's origin story when it comes to Trap-Jaw, but Kronis is still a mercenary/fugitive from another world that dared to challenge Skeletor and the result was Trap-Jaw's creation)! And the best part of your design is, that you used an actual metallic color for the cybernetic implants, instead of the usual cartoonish "pinkish" ones.

So another INCREDIBLE addition!!! Ryan please don't stop!

By the way i' m really curious to see your Battle Cat. I have a feeling that is going to be INSANE!!!
    Battle Cat should be a blast to work on, for certain. I've never been 100% sold on the 200x Trap Jaw origin... but I think that's because I'm just so damn married to the mini-comics version where he's discovered as a 'complete' character by Skeletor, already a malicious and dangerous cyborg. I think I like the mystery of NOT knowing exactly what he is, or how he came to be that way---or for that matter, what heinous crimes he wrought to get a whole dimension out for his blood!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I really LOVE that you used his mini-comic origin appearance as major inspiration for this piece! This is one of the best ones yet You really get the sense that the cybernetic parts are what's keeping him alive... almost like they are more alive than his body is.
    Good call Zodak! I was definitely aiming for the kind of hideous man-machine fusion that looks both maddeningly painful and highly invasive.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    fantastic again ryan, loved trapjaw when i was young , this version is just ideal in looks and the detail is unbelivable, and as zodak74 said ( You really get the sense that the cybernetic parts are what's keeping him alive...) is very true. i see that your rotating your art posts evil/hero/evil/hero etc, would i be right in saying we are due a heroic warrior next? such a great thread here, looking forward to your next post.
    You are correct Rojo, and speaking of that warrior:

Royal Bodyguard and former champion of the Eternos arena...

Raenius Art.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    The Champ is here!!!!

Ryan, another incredible masterpiece!!!

The gladiatorial Champion that became the Royal Bodyguard!!

I love every detail put on here! First of all awesome idea to have the Clamp instead of only just a weapon, being an actual replacement of Raenius's hand! Being a Champion in the Arena has its costs afterall. It's great that you kept most of the elements of the original design, and at the same time turn them more "barbaric"! The short sword is also a nice addition that testimony Raenius's past as gladiator!
    Amazing stuff!!! Again i pray that someone at Mattel take notice of your fantastic artwork!

More please!!!!!

Thanks Charly! The Alcala He-Man is definitely my muse overall, so I'm glad that reads clearly. I waffled quite a bit on the original Iron Cross from the Defender of Grayskull poster... I actually drew it in that simpler, blocky style three or four times but something about it just didn't click when seen straight-on. I ended up going a little more ornate, but in the process lost that subtle 'H' shape... like you, I'm not convinced it was a fair trade! But that's the beauty of this stuff, I can always revisit it.

I'm not familiar with Rahan---is the character anything like Ka-Zar? These crazed blonde barbarians keep crawling out of the woodwork!

Raenius Art.jpg
    Thank you again, Ryan, for taking the time to give answers! You're right, Rahan and Ka-Zar look exactly the same, they both have a knife as a weapon of choice and live in a dinosaur-filled jungle. But Rahan is actually a type of “brainy” barbarian: he thinks magic and gods don’t exist, and that everything must have a natural explanation. So, he's always fighting false sorcerers to free prehistoric tribes from superstition! Think Voltaire or Rousseau in a loincloth.
    Back to MOTU and your work: I absolutely love your take on Clamp Champ, or rather Raenius. Granamyr80 is right, the clamp is so much more logical and practical this way! But I can't help wondering how he manages to unsheathe this sword with his right hand if it's hanging on his right side? Shouldn't it have a shorter blade, more like a dagger? I'm no expert, so forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyZarkov View Post
    Thank you again, Ryan, for taking the time to give answers! You're right, Rahan and Ka-Zar look exactly the same, they both have a knife as a weapon of choice and live in a dinosaur-filled jungle. But Rahan is actually a type of “brainy” barbarian: he thinks magic and gods don’t exist, and that everything must have a natural explanation. So, he's always fighting false sorcerers to free prehistoric tribes from superstition! Think Voltaire or Rousseau in a loincloth.
    Back to MOTU and your work: I absolutely love your take on Clamp Champ, or rather Raenius. Granamyr80 is right, the clamp is so much more logical and practical this way! But I can't help wondering how he manages to unsheathe this sword with his right hand if it's hanging on his right side? Shouldn't it have a shorter blade, more like a dagger? I'm no expert, so forgive me if I'm mistaken.
    I'll have to check out this Rahan character, sounds like something I'd thoroughly enjoy. An interesting juxtaposition of the Tarzan trope, given he sounds like a barbarian only in the visual sense.

Also, you have a keen eye for picking out my flubs! You're correct about the weapon, for easiest access it really should be on his other hip to allow for a quick cross-draw (or it should be a smaller weapon, a la a stout dagger that can be more easily drawn under-handed in the way he's currently holding it). But I wanted a place to put his free hand for a more dynamic pose, so I cheated a bit.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    This is amazing, amazing art!

Heroic Warrior
    Just now seeing thread.

HOLY bleep!

This is some mega epic art.

Keep these bad mamma jamma coming.

Also, you have a keen eye for picking out my flubs! You're correct about the weapon, for easiest access it really should be on his other hip to allow for a quick cross-draw (or it should be a smaller weapon, a la a stout dagger that can be more easily drawn under-handed in the way he's currently holding it). But I wanted a place to put his free hand for a more dynamic pose, so I cheated a bit.
    I was really nitpicking