View Poll Results: Who is Camo Khan to you?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a new character. King Hiss needs to be pleased!

58 68.24%
  • He's a more powerful variant of Kobra Khan

27 31.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo Khan - new character or variant?

Scaly photo artist Dragonblaster's Avatar

Camo Khan - new character or variant?

As the title says:
    Is Camo a new Snakemen or a Kobra Khan variant to you?

In my own opinion, he's a new character with camouflage ability - similar to Mortal Kombat's Reptile. Maybe a relative to Kobra Khan.
    Simply calling him a mere variant of KK to me seems like a missed opportunity to strenghten the ranks of Hiss' army.

BTW - can't wait to get mine!

What do you think?

Greetings
    DB
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; March 7, 2016 at 05:23am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It sprays enemies with a jet of water!
    Press down on a camera's shutter release. It will take pictures that tell stories!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I would like him to be Kobra Khan's ancestor from Preternian times.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    He is a new character to me, a new snake men !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    New character, a prehistoric predecessor of the Snake Men.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I would like him to be Kobra Khan's ancestor from Preternian times.
    This exactly....
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards KK's ancestor.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

I was originally just gona use him as a new dude, but I'm kinda warming to the idea of him being powered up, or at least mutated. I'm thinking that the Spell of Separation that killed most of the Snake Men ended up just hurting him and ripping some of the snake DNA out of him leaving him in this phasing state where he replaces the missing DNA by whatever he touches next, leading him to getting the new skin and claw hands.

Sooo....dunno yet! I'm just swishing that around in the old mind glass for now.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I was originally just gona use him as a new dude, but I'm kinda warming to the idea of him being powered up, or at least mutated. I'm thinking that the Spell of Separation that killed most of the Snake Men ended up just hurting him and ripping some of the snake DNA out of him leaving him in this phasing state where he replaces the missing DNA by whatever he touches next, leading him to getting the new skin and claw hands.

Sooo....dunno yet! I'm just swishing that around in the old mind glass for now.
    Same. I already tossed in my idea of Khan using Clawful's corpse to shield him from the Spell of Separation, resulting in the genetic mix up. He's shown in the 3rd Ultimate Battleground (post Kobra Khan), so I can't personally see him being a Preternian ancestor that we've never seen who survived the Spell somehow, but Kobra Khan didn't? Preternian ancestor from the future melts my brain. Same name, same face = for me, same guy. At least, in MOTUC continuity.

The problem I have with the the other option is that having him be a different guy actually seems redundant to me, like Evilseed and Ever-Mean, Mer-Man and Mer-Man II, Stinkor and Odar, etc. Kinda like giving Beastman a tail and saying he's a new character. Lol. There's so much of that recycling characters but saying they are different people, going into the SOH era, that I'm just kind of over it. No offense to anyone who feels otherwise. I just reached my limit with the Mr. Guy #II, and Son of so-and-so. I'd rather use him as a means of ensuring the survival of an old character who would appear to have otherwise been killed off. Just like I'd prefer Odar be an older version of Stinkor, and Tung Lashor be a mutated version of our old Lashor, even though we've been told that's not the case. Heck, I even hope that there is a person inside Missile-Toe's armor that we previously thought dead. I'm bored by the idea of losing a familiar character and replacing it with someone almost identical. I'd rather it just be the same person.

Whoo! That totally seemed like a rant, but it wasn't meant to be. I like that we can all have different stories. I was just afraid I wasn't explaining myself properly, so that went on a bit long.
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    His Argentinian Top Toys bio says he's a powered-up Kobra Khan, given additional powers and rank by Skeletor, so that's what I go by.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; March 9, 2016 at 04:50pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    His Argentinian Top Toys bio says he's a powered-up Kobra Khan, given additional powers and rank by Skeletor, so that's what I'm sticking with.
    Nice!

I need to avoid posting after taking cold medicine ^^. Lol. I was going to delete that whole thing, but it's kinda funny, so I think I'll leave it.
    Some remaining WANTS:
    Kittrina (Classics-detailed), Lady Slither, Garth, Master Sebrian, Skeleteen, Kay-La, (comic)Garn, Meliac, Sagitar, Melog, Spirit of Evil, Artilla, Drissi, Caz, Grot, Melaktha, Scrollos, Hunga, Rajar, Bubblor, Songster, Red Beast, Zed, NA Sorceress, Staghorn, Col. Blast, Fright Zone, Slime Pit, and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Nice!

I need to avoid posting after taking cold medicine ^^. Lol. I was going to delete that whole thing, but it's kinda funny, so I think I'll leave it.
    I'm glad you didn't delete it! Those are cool ideas and you should totally leave it! I agree those characters like Mer-Man II etc should just be older versions of the characters we know. Maybe Slob Boar is even a grown up version of Pig Boy.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Heroic Warrior
    I'd rather him be a different character…maybe there's a "Khan" group of Snakemen…
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    New character, a prehistoric predecessor of the Snake Men.
    how I think of it. Very rare, did not come to the future from the past with the rest. Kobra is not a snake man for me, but Camo is. The "original" Kahn, or the lost Kahn or whatever.

I'm super excited to finally have a Kahn to add to the snake men no matter what.

If there is a bio, I predict he's a variant, but BOY I hope not.

Scaly photo artist Dragonblaster's Avatar
    His Argentinian Top Toys bio says he's a powered-up Kobra Khan, given additional powers and rank by Skeletor, so that's what I'm sticking with.
    Hi Penny,
    do you have a link to that Argentinian bio?
    Everything I found was this description on the forums toy section:

Here we have what can be considered the pinacle of the Top Toys MOTU collection: an almost completely original figure created out of the blue. No one knows what on earth the guys at Top Toys were thinking when they came up with Camo Khan (as it is "affectionately" referred to worldwide for short). We consider him a new figure and not just a Kobra Khan variant because, unlike any other variant, he came packaged with his own new name and, therefore, separated from Kobra Khan. No other variant in the Top Toys collection or, probably, in any other MOTU collection around the globe came packaged with a new, different name. Another characteristic that further distinguishes him from Kobra Khan is that Camo Khan is officially a member of the Snake Men, whilst the first is an evil warrior alligned with Skeletor. He is very, very rare, since only a few were made and he is madly sought after by fans all over. It goes without saying that he sells for very large sums.

He came in two basic different versions: with Kobra Khan's arms and with Buzz-Off's arms, the latter being more common. Most Camo Khans have green/camouflaged suspenders but there are a few that have them golden painted. The latter are more rare. He also came packaged with 1 of the following 3 weapons: a green Clawful's club, a brown Clawful's club and a brown Buzz-Off's axe. There were, also, two different cards: 1) a regular Kobra Khan card with the sticker: "Las diabólicas serpientes" and the name Kobra Khan Camuflado on the bubble; and 2) any other figure's card with a yellow tape (covering the original name) bearing Kobra Khan Camuflado in big black print letters.
    Press down on dragon's head. It sprays enemies with a jet of water!
    Press down on a camera's shutter release. It will take pictures that tell stories!

I'd like if possible, that the story created by Top Toys be kept, or at least adapt it to coexist with the official version of the Snake Men. Anyway, for me, Camo Khan is a more powerful version of the original Kobra Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Hi Penny,
    do you have a link to that Argentinian bio?
    Courtesy of Axel, who is the one who owns the insert, and later shared with me by Jukka:

The basic gyst is that Skeletor sends Khan on a mission to recruit deadly new villains. Khan searches the galaxy and succeeds in finding dangerous new Snake Men. Skeletor rewards him by increasing his rank and making him the leader of the Diabolical Snakes. He also magically increases Khan's powers by making his mist more powerful, giving him the power of camouflage, and presumably giving him those mystical golden claws as well.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; March 9, 2016 at 04:55pm.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

I was hoping to make him a new character, but since Axel posted this on FB I had to reassess. Regardless of personal wants, I always defer to the source material when available. So, thank you, Top Toys insert for making it easy.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    I was hoping to make him a new character, but since Axel posted this on FB I had to reassess. Regardless of personal wants, I always defer to the source material when available. So, thank you, Top Toys insert for making it easy.
    I too, saw Axel's FB post about Camo/Kobra Khan. Honestly, I really enjoyed finally seeing a bio for this character and I suppose it does make sense that Camo Khan and Kobra Khan are in fact, the same character. With that said, for me personally, Camo Khan will be an all new Snake Man character when I get him (yes, I preordered him). In my universe, Camo Khan is a relative to Kobra Khan and an addition to the Snake Men ranks.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I remember reading somewhere that Camo Khan could be Kobra Khan after the Second Ultimate Battle Ground. I kind of like that idea. Maybe the Spell of Seperation didn't exactly work on him, as he is a descendant of the Snakemen. Maybe because his DNA was more strongly bonded, the Spell ended up causing a mutation where he got additional camflouge abilities, as well as causing his hands to morph into claws.
    Most wanted: Starburst She-ra, Lodar, Vintage Toy Catra, Lady Slither, and the Great Black Wizard!

When they first revealed him for PC, I said I considered him Kobra Khan's ancient and more successful ancestor!
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

though I usually like to follow the original intentions and ideas, since I never knew about who or what Camo was I always thought of him the same was as No-Ah.

I gotta stick with that. But I am happy to see and know the original, actual backstory.

A new, Old School (Preternian) Snake Man.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I see him as a new character, from an earlier time period, like Wun-Dar. Two different figures sharing the same head sculpt is nothing new for MOTU so that doesn't bother me.

I appreciate that Top Toys gave him an "official" bio, but it doesn't ring true for me. Why would Skeletor want to establish a new faction and place one of his minions as it's leader, with new powers to boot? That would just create a potential rival to his conquest of Eternia; IMO, it just doesn't seem like something he'd do.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    The claws scream new character.
    I want more army builders, Dragon Blaster Faker and world peace! And yes, I want them in that order.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Courtesy of Axel, who is the one who owns the insert, and later shared with me by Jukka:

The basic gyst is that Skeletor sends Khan on a mission to recruit deadly new villains. Khan searches the galaxy and succeeds in finding dangerous new Snake Men. Skeletor rewards him by increasing his rank and making him the leader of the Diabolical Snakes. He also magically increases Khan's powers by making his mist more powerful, giving him the power of camouflage, and presumably giving him those mystical golden claws as well.
    Here's a full translation, in case anyone's interested:

Masters of the Universe

THE EVIL
    SNAKES

Skeletor, God of Destruction, in his pursuit to achieve domination over the Universe must take hold of Castle Grayskull, fortress of mysterious power. To this end, he ordered Kobra Khan to form a group of new villains, capable of executing his most evil plans. Kobra Khan traveled quickly throughout the galaxy recruiting the most ferocious and dangerous reptiles. Very soon, the group was formed and as a reward, Skeletor named Kobra Khan leader of the Evil Snakes and endowed him with a new power "to camouflage himself" which adding to the power of his hypnotizing venom turns him into one of the most dangerous villains of Eternia. Now He-Man, the most powerful man in the Universe, together with the Defenders of Good will have to face new dangers in order to protect Eternia from the Evil Snakes.

On the left side:

CAMOUFLAGED
    KOBRA KHAN

Instructions

Thou take the head off and put water in as shown in the picture.

Push the head and he'll squirt a jet of hypnotizing liquid. If thou turns his head he'll attack in every direction.

USE CLEAN WATER.

Funnily, what I find more interesting/amusing about this piece isn't really the tale itself about the Camouflaged Kobra Khan and his army of "Evil Snakes", but actually the linguistic part of it, as the instruction commands use the characteristic verbal forms of the Argentinian dialect (*), and the narration paragraphs are redacted in a style that, to me at least, sounds kind of weird or stilted.

(*) Which derive from the second person plural forms and are exclusive to this dialectal area, and sound somewhat "odd" to other speakers; an effect that I've tried to somehow reproduce by switching to "modern regional thou" verb forms in the translation, as the Argentinian forms are "modern regional vos" in Spanish (vos is an archaic form of respectful address used frequently in older Golden Age literature, such as Don Quixote or the plays of Lope de Vega and Calderón de la Barca, but nowadays only remaining [although in a "modernized" shape] in certain dialectal varieties, or used for ironic/mocking/comic effect—so in this respect it is quite analogous to the status of "thou" in English, although "thou" was a T-type pronoun whereas vos was a V-type pronoun in the T–V distinction, so in this other respect they had opposite meaning/usage).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    The claws scream new character.
    Or rather, they scream: "Wait... what's this?! A snakeman with CLAWS!? OMHFG!! WTFS??"
    Last edited by uaxuctum; March 14, 2016 at 11:11pm. Reason: Oops! It's Khan (as in Gengis Khan), not Kahn (as in Louis I. Kahn)... ;-)
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog