Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse Books

So, mainly B&W with a little color for the Sunday strips. Thanks for the info. 2017 is going to be a long wait but worth it!
    Put the Image/MVCreations comics on Comixology please!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth2099 View Post
    So, mainly B&W with a little color for the Sunday strips. Thanks for the info. 2017 is going to be a long wait but worth it!
    Generally speaking, Sundays are in full color from 86-89. A number of the Sundays we found for 1990 were mostly published in B&W. Based on my discussions with colorist Connie Schurr, that was probably a decision made by that particular newspaper. The interview will shed more light on the process.

If you have the Dark Horse MOTU Art Book, there's a 2 page spread of color Sundays and b&w dailies from the strip.

If not, in the past I've posted unrestored samples of both B&W dailies and color Sundays. Check out the vintage forum thread "comic strip information."
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; July 6, 2016 at 11:44am.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Awesome, thanks for the clarification and posting of samples.
    Put the Image/MVCreations comics on Comixology please!

Easy pre-order for me, great news.

I'm so looking forward to this book, it's such a lost jem of MOTU history.
    Do we know anything about that King Hiss design? Did it actually come from a Mattel concept for King Hiss or did the comic strip artist come up with it himself?
    If anybody hasn't seen it Penny did a great interview on the newspaper strips a few years ago:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...c-Strip-Writer
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I'm so looking forward to this book, it's such a lost jem of MOTU history.
    Do we know anything about that King Hiss design? Did it actually come from a Mattel concept for King Hiss or did the comic strip artist come up with it himself?
    If anybody hasn't seen it Penny did a great interview on the newspaper strips a few years ago:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...c-Strip-Writer
    Writer Chris Weber and his wife Karen Willson, who was the strip's editor, have been an immense help by providing materials and valuable info.

As for the King Hiss design, Chris noted in the script that Gerald should come up with another design for Hiss as Chris was not a big fan of the multiple serpents look. I'm pretty sure Gerald came up with the strip version on his own. I'll have to scan that script page and post it at some point.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    As for the King Hiss design, Chris noted in the script that Gerald should come up with another design for Hiss as Chris was not a big fan of the multiple serpents look. I'm pretty sure Gerald came up with the strip version on his own. I'll have to scan that script page and post it at some point.
    Thanks for the information Penny
    Interesting that Mattel let them use their own design just because they didn't like the multiple serpents look that presumable had already been released as a figure by this point and was being used in other published media.
    Well that's the origin of the newspaper strip King Hiss design revealed, now we just need to know the origin of the UK comics Horde Prime design.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    Just wanted to mention again how great it is that we're getting this MOTU newspaper strips book. If it weren't for Dark Horse taking the time to do the research & re-discover this older material, there is no way that most of us would ever be able to read/own these strips.

Ditto for the mini-comic book that came out last year; I hadn't owned any of those books for years, and if it hadn't been for that collection, I would probably never have been able to read these.

Dark Horse has released an early sample of a week's worth of story from the He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips collection that is coming February 14, 2017!
    Click here to pre-order your copy today.

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Dark Horse has released an early sample of a week's worth of story from the He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips collection that is coming February 14, 2017!
    Click here to pre-order your copy today.

Wow!

In those pages with He-Man badly injured, we can see how deep Teela's feelings towards He-Man are, and that actually she openly here admitted them. And she was ready to confess them to him??? Damn now i can't wait to read what happened next!

Great Preview! Thanks Val for the link and the post!!! February can't come soon enough!

Now both this and the Character Guide book has been stripped from their Amazon discount. The price went up to 28$

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Never had any of these in any local newspaper, so it will be all new stories for me. Definitely looking forward to this.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I can't wait for this. I love all these books coming out. So much goodness for a super affordable price.

I'm proud of all the Dark Horse MOTU books, but this one is extra special to me.

This collection features four and a half years of comics strips, the majority of which have never been seen by most fans! The newspaper strip comic continues the Filmation MOTU & POP cartoon adventures and bridges the story to the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon. This is a must-have for He-Man and She-Ra fans.

Click here to preorder today!

JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

I have to ask jvs3 and penny dreadful, what are your favorite stories/strips in this collection?
    Is not not licking toads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    I have to ask jvs3 and penny dreadful, what are your favorite stories/strips in this collection?
    Wow, it's hard to choose! There are 15 storylines total - with continuity! I think I'll go with "Shaken to the Core." The villain in it is a bit goofy-looking, but there's some great mythology about the Sorceress in there and I'm a sucker for lore of that sort. He-Man and the Sorceress both display great heroism in this story, and Orko minds Grayskull while they are dealing with the threat. Other favorite stories include, "Attack on Snake Mountain" (cool story idea) and "Day of the Comet" (the most Filmation-esque one of all since Filmation was still directly involved during the first story).

Wait'll you guys see this book. We're in the final stages of finishing it off and my mind is blown by how it's looking! The search for these comic strips was nuts, but it was totally worth it.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; October 5, 2016 at 01:50am.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

That's really tough to answer! I'm like Danielle in that it's hard to choose.

I think they are all great and each one gives me a Filmation episode feeling. I guess I've taken a shine to He-Man in Wonderland because it's so whacky, and seems like something that could happen in an episode with the tie-in to Marlena's Earth books. Plus Skeletor makes a REALLY creepy Cheshire cat!! It was my least favorite story at first, and then it grew on me for whatever reason.

The final cover to the collection has been revealed:

Click here to preorder today!

Great cover! Really looking forward to getting my hands on this book!

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Excellent job on the cover -- I preordered this a while back and I'm super stoked to get it next year.

Nice, sharp pic, JVS3. Thanks for posting!
    Odd Man Out

Excellent looking cover!

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar

He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse Books

Can't wait for this. Both of the next two releases are going to be incredible! (As has been everything else from Dark Horse so far...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KingRandorFacepalm; October 13, 2016 at 12:05am.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Cover looks great. It's a new look for He-Man, different from other faces we've seen, but still undeniably him.

Will there be a deluxe version? Or am I getting greedy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Will there be a deluxe version? Or am I getting greedy?
    All remains to be seen!