Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unproduced MOTU vintage last wave

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    A while back, I did a color concept for the Whiplash/Rattlor/Trapjaw/Mosquitor dude...

Attachment 111277

And then I made this one, more recently, for the ninja dude...

Attachment 111278
    That look on Horroar is for me a much better look, especially on the mechanical arm and boots. A dark gold color could've differentiated that arm much nicer away from Trap Jaw.
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Catch my pics on Instagram: countjudas FOR 2019: Kayo, Lizorr, Sagitar, Negator, Hunga the Harpy, Kol Darr, Catra cat form, Leo Faker, Anti Eternia MAA and Orko, Melog, Filmation Ram Man and movie figures

With the MOTUC versions of these guys made do you think we'll see a vintage version?

BTW I'd love to see a bio for all SIX figures from Power Con

Val said something about getting bios AT Powercon, so look forward to it.

We need some close up shots of those two packs...

Heroic Warrior
    Good. cause I need it to help me wrap my brain around them.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Val said something about getting bios AT Powercon, so look forward to it.

I imagine Horroar's bio has a line like "And then he smited midor for his lack of interest!"
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    (sigh)

Well, at least you didn't respond with an Darth Vader Meme. ( I meant vader not palpatine)

If it makes you happy J3 I do like the Prince Adam figure.

I'm looking forward to the vintage versions of the figures. Especially Eldor. I want to take a picture of him with classics version in front of his card.

I have nothing against the figures but it hurt my brain to see the mash ups. it didn't make any sense. to see them in figure form it makes sense some how. With only seeing the art I needed the bios to help me understand why they look that way. that's all I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I imagine Horroar's bio has a line like "And then he smited midor for his lack of interest!"
    Last edited by midor; February 19, 2017 at 10:18am.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    With only seeing the art I needed the bios to help me understand why they look that way. that's all I was trying to say.
    The bios might answer some of your questions. No guarantees, though!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    The do some times. But most of the times they just raise more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The bios might answer some of your questions. No guarantees, though!

Do we know the price point on these? For the power con exclusives that is....
    Is not not licking toads

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    With the MOTUC versions of these guys made do you think we'll see a vintage version?

BTW I'd love to see a bio for all SIX figures from Power Con
    Oh I would buy vintage style versions of the Lost Wave characters. As a kid about 6 or 7 when the line was ending, I would probably have asked my Mom for Horror and Lord Gr'Asp (I see what they did there ;-)).

For years I was a MotU toy fan/collector, so finding out about this Lost Wave for the first time this past Saturday during Toy Fair, I started to dig and found this thread.

I would love to know what Mattel's color schemes, names and mini-character blurbs ("Ruthless Leader of the Evil Horde" for example) were supposed to be for these action figures.

So incredibly excited for the return of the vintage line & I equally love & agree with what Brian from Super7 said about returning to the vintage scale as MotUC made so many more figures then the original line got to. I totally am ready for a little flashback and since my son is turning 2 yrs old next month I would love to be able to give him some new MotU vintage style characters to play with all of my old stuff with. That alone is awesome to me.

Oh and He-Ro & Eldor returning 30 years after they were shown at Toy Fair, that is really epic and speaks to the whole concept of finishing what was started. He-Ro & Eldor are instant buys for me, but x2 for me & x2 for my son.

~Co-Lec-Tor
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-Lec-Tor View Post
    I equally love & agree with what Brian from Super7 said about returning to the vintage scale as MotUC made so many more figures then the original line got to.
    I have to admit I'm a little bit jealous of the range of characters available for MOTUC. Especially the Snake Men! Horroar and Lord Gr'Asp would go a long way for me.

I totally am ready for a little flashback and since my son is turning 2 yrs old next month I would love to be able to give him some new MotU vintage style characters to play with all of my old stuff with. That alone is awesome to me.
    I've recently started playing He-Mans with my daughter (4) and nephew (6). Good times!
    Totally Jazzed for C'MONs Clash For Eternia!

Quote Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
    I have to admit I'm a little bit jealous of the range of characters available for MOTUC. Especially the Snake Men! Horroar and Lord Gr'Asp would go a long way for me.

I've recently started playing He-Mans with my daughter (4) and nephew (6). Good times!
    Yeah, as that line has been around since 2008, they have a HUGE parts pool to pick from to make anything they like. Horroar & Lord Gr'Asp I would love to own in the vintage style, but Super7 needs to either A) Re-sculpt each part just for the 6 Lost Wave characters, or B) Re-Make about 15+ figures to get all the parts they would need to use. I just noticed the Snake Man Horde Trooper has King Hiss legs too, and Blast-Attak's axe so those use 4 different figures alone. No clue how Super7 is going about their vintage line, but if they plan on giving the figures Disc ball jointed hips (from the old line, Snout Spout, Blast-Attak, Flying Fists He-Man & Terror Claws Skeletor all had this newer articulation style for their legs) they will need to re-sculpt the parts again anyway to make them compatible.

Very cool, my son has Whiplash which he plays with, but does not understand exactly what they are yet. Once he hits 5, or whichever age MotU figures were aimed at, he will be getting a few vehicles and commemorative figures to play with....plus any new ones Super7 makes between now & then.
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

Oh I would buy vintage style versions of the Lost Wave characters. As a kid about 6 or 7 when the line was ending, I would probably have asked my Mom for Horror and Lord Gr'Asp (I see what they did there ;-)).

For years I was a MotU toy fan/collector, so finding out about this Lost Wave for the first time this past Saturday during Toy Fair, I started to dig and found this thread.

I would love to know what Mattel's color schemes, names and mini-character blurbs ("Ruthless Leader of the Evil Horde" for example) were supposed to be for these action figures.

So incredibly excited for the return of the vintage line & I equally love & agree with what Brian from Super7 said about returning to the vintage scale as MotUC made so many more figures then the original line got to. I totally am ready for a little flashback and since my son is turning 2 yrs old next month I would love to be able to give him some new MotU vintage style characters to play with all of my old stuff with. That alone is awesome to me.

Oh and He-Ro & Eldor returning 30 years after they were shown at Toy Fair, that is really epic and speaks to the whole concept of finishing what was started. He-Ro & Eldor are instant buys for me, but x2 for me & x2 for my son.

~Co-Lec-Tor
    That's awesome man I feel that way too and with other concept characters they could make in the vintage line like Fearless Photog! that was supposed to be made in the vintage line!! and maybe make more concept characters that were going to be in the line like the one's in the Power & Honor foundation book.

I'd also love for them to do a proper Leo Faker & Skeletor and Camo Kobra Khan for those that never got those figures. Just do was Classic TV Toys did with their Re-Mego lines by releasing the rare Teen Titans set that went over big...

Heroic Warrior
    Horroar & Lord Gr'Asp I would love to own in the vintage style, but Super7 needs to either A) Re-sculpt each part just for the 6 Lost Wave characters, or B) Re-Make about 15+ figures to get all the parts they would need to use.
    That's an excellent point regarding Horroar. I think he has three action features (tail, neck, and arm), plus a special chest piece and boots. So this guy is not being made anytime soon!

Lord Gr'Asp is pretty basic though. He needs:

1. A snappy claw.
    2. A reptilian head.
    3. A cape.

Every new figure needs a new head and accessories, so basically all he needs is the claw. If Super7 is going to start giving us figures with action features, eventually they will need to start to manufacture unique parts! There is no reason they should need to make Clawful first - it would be just as easy to make the claw for Lord Gr'Asp.

I also understand that even one action feature entails great expense. In the 1980s Mattel didn't make any action features (beyond the basic spring waist) until the second wave (funded by the first wave sales). Super7 can't possibly have that kind of capitol. Nor can they expect the same return on their investment as that second wave in the 80s!

I do believe though that if Super7 wants great success with the vintage line they will eventually need to incorporate action features. This is what made the vintage line so spectacular. It's also the big advantage these have over motuc - otherwise the only draws to the vintage line are nostalgia and compatibility with the old toys.

I think it's okay for Super7 to start with basic figures as they are doing. But I do hope sales are sufficient to warrant making some figures with specialty parts. If they do, Lord Gr'Asp would be a great place to start!

Heroic Ninja probably only needs a spring arm. Horde Mummy can be a basic figure like He-Ro and Eldor (and use Possessed Skeletor's body). Guys like Snake Trooper and Horroar will probably have to wait - too many new parts for single figures
    Last edited by crimhead; February 24, 2017 at 06:13pm.
    Totally Jazzed for C'MONs Clash For Eternia!

Court Magician
    I would love if Super7 made vintage versions of these unproduced figures. Glad they are planning things with the vintage 5.5 scale figures!

I understand why these weren't produced really, they seem like lazy recombinations of an amateur customizer, frankly. Seeing the MOTUCs don't change much my opinion. Ok, MOTU is full of recombinations, but there is a certain genius in them, Stinkor, Mossman, they all add up something and as a kid, one hardly recognizes it. Or Teela and Evil Lyn with new head simply. But these just don't add up in my opinion. They would've need of having some strange awesome action feature that we cannot see (like the smell on Stinkor or Mossman) or be fabulously sewn into the plot to be good figures.
    I am currently accepting commissions for custom figures, just PM me with your project
    See my other customs at; http://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?UID=5291 and see my MOTU customs in these videos;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXzl-Y0jJ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI33jTcfuKc
    My blog; http://argenta-2008customs.blogspot.com/

Was the reason ever explained why Horroar's name was changed to Terroar?

Also, I'm pumped that some of these guys have already shown up in Origins art work because it would be great to get new figures of them. Have you guys seen what the Classics 3-pack set is going for on Ebay now? Completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Have you guys seen what the Classics 3-pack set is going for on Ebay now? Completely insane.
    Yes, glad I found the three unboxed for a good price. I dont collect in box anyway. Like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Yes, glad I found the three unboxed for a good price. I dont collect in box anyway. Like them a lot.
    I was "lucky" to get them off Ebay last year for "only" 400 bucks, which I already thought was outrageous, but now they're going for more than 1000, even loose! Are people actually paying that??

Have you guys seen what the Classics 3-pack set is going for on Ebay now? Completely insane.
    Good Lord. Boy am I glad that I got it through Power Con that year lol.

Was the reason ever explained why Horroar's name was changed to Terroar?
    I can recall it happening at the extreme 11th hour. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think they said (it was more implied than anything) it was done to eliminate the phonetic derogatory term at the beginning of Horroar. Of course, that doesn't explain or rationalize why the name Hordak should go unchallenged, under similar naming conventions..?

In an amusing(?) coincidence(?), a few years earlier, a Strawberry Shortcake character known as Raspberry Tart since the '80s was re-named Raspberry Torte. Completely unrelated, but similar, I guess..?

And of course, Plasmar came to be known to us under his working title, "HotShot". A Hasbro Nerf gun using that same trademarked name put the kibosh on THAT, in a manner hilariously similar to the re-naming of StrongArm as "Strong-Or" in Masters Classics. [^D
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I can recall it happening at the extreme 11th hour. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think they said (it was more implied than anything) it was done to eliminate the phonetic derogatory term at the beginning of Horroar. Of course, that doesn't explain or rationalize why the name Hordak should go unchallenged, under similar naming conventions..?

In an amusing(?) coincidence(?), a few years earlier, a Strawberry Shortcake character known as Raspberry Tart since the '80s was re-named Raspberry Torte. Completely unrelated, but similar, I guess..?

And of course, Plasmar came to be known to us under his working title, "HotShot". A Hasbro Nerf gun using that same trademarked name put the kibosh on THAT, in a manner hilariously similar to the re-naming of StrongArm as "Strong-Or" in Masters Classics. [^D
    TBH I kinda prefer changed names.

I'd guess it's because punny nature of Horroar's name makes you say those words separately. No one thinks Hor-Dak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    TBH I kinda prefer changed names.

I'd guess it's because punny nature of Horroar's name makes you say those words separately. No one thinks Hor-Dak.
    :^) I didn't really have a dog in the fight in the change between the Horroar/Terroar naming. Either name works as well as the other. What I DID raise an eyebrow over, at the time, was the odd presumption that the Vintage figure was supposed to have had a fancy bellows-powered "screaming" action feature, which would have inevitably led to more engineering costs and (likely?) tooling, for a figure that was supposed to be part of a "no-frills" economy wave. Never quite wrapped my head around that leap of logic, which evidently led to the "Roar" part of his name in the first place, though obviously decades later.

I WAS personally GUTTED, though, on the change from the name "HotShot" to the miserably inferior "Plasmar". :^(
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Wasn’t Hot Shot just a nickname given by fans?
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.