Thread: The MOTU Power Sword Variations Thread

The MOTU Power Sword Variations Thread

Hi Masters of the Internets!

A colleague showed me something interesting today: Two different versions of the Powersword (no, not the color).

Question:
    Can someone explain to my, why there are different versions of (He-man's) Power-sword? I got two here, both malaysia: One has a slot on the back, where the other one has a bar / peg. It looks a lot like you could combine the two weapons - somehow. I guess it is 'just' a different mold, or a different he-man-actionfeature, - but it is quite puzzling that they match so well. Do you know more?

Thanks in advance,
    ninn

Are they both the same color?

He-Man's version (gray) has the "bar" while Skeletor's (dark purple) has the slot. They're meant to fit together. The idea was that both halves put together would grant access to Castle Grayskull.

Prince Adam's reddish-purple version also has the bar. Faker's orange version has the slot.

That makes sense, I thought of that too .. but the are both gray.
    Maybe there were some wrong ones?

Maybe I see my own power-sword today, and have a check.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by ninn View Post
    That makes sense, I thought of that too .. but the are both gray.
    Maybe there were some wrong ones?

Maybe I see my own power-sword today, and have a check.

Thanks a lot for the answer!
    Interesting, I never heard of a gray version having the slot. Maybe someone else here has

There is also a 3rd style from the board games, it's full power sword (Gold, 2 sided).

I had a bunch I painted and sold:

Here's an animated gif of it I made years ago:

I just found an unpainted picture of one:

There are two versions of the gray and the purple swords. I have both the female and male versions.

Quote Originally Posted by speldor View Post
    There are two versions of the gray and the purple swords. I have both the female and male versions.
    Pictures!!!!

Checked my two swords this morning too... both he-man's and skeletors sword have the peg.

I believe the 'wrong' versions (Gray with slot, purple with tab/bar) were found in later versions (tagged "the original") of basic HeMan and Skelly figures. I've had a few of the HeMan errors and can't recall having one of the Skellys with the tab.

As far as I know, only the gray and purple power swords have been found with both halves. I've never seen an error version of the maroon (Adam's), orange (Faker), gold (tp HeMan), or silver (ba HeMan) power sword halves.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    There is also a 3rd style from the board games, it's full power sword (Gold, 2 sided).

I had a bunch I painted and sold:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...DoubSword1.jpg

Here's an animated gif of it I made years ago:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...SwordSpin2.gif

I just found an unpainted picture of one:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../goldsword.jpg
    I've got the gold one too. When I was a kid that's what I really wanted (the sculpt, not the color). I was always trying to hide the flat side of the power sword when He-Man was holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Pictures!!!!
    Here you go my friend. I actually found I had two male purple swords.

image.jpg
    Last edited by speldor; September 2, 2016 at 06:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ninn View Post
    Hi Masters of the Internets!

A colleague showed me something interesting today: Two different versions of the Powersword (no, not the color).

Question:
    Can someone explain to my, why there are different versions of (He-man's) Power-sword? I got two here, both malaysia: One has a slot on the back, where the other one has a bar / peg.n
    I've not seen a malaysia marked sword with the slot before, would you mind posting a pic please!

From my own knowledge-
    Gray He-Man sword always have the tab- exceptions France have the slot
    Purple Skeletor sword always has the slot- exceptions some Hong Kong have the tab.
    Gold Thunderpunch always have the tab
    Pink Prince Adam have the tab
    Orange Faker has the slot
    Blue Weapons pack has the tab
    If anyone has examples that differ from standard, post them up please.
    Last edited by PetezorIII; September 3, 2016 at 06:52am.

Good morning!

I wanted to take pictures of the swords in question, but the slotted one is indeed France. My Fault.

I guess the question is answered then: The slots are indeed to combine the two weapons, but there are exceptions on the slots/pegs. Thanks a lot for learing that up, guys!

Widget

Gold power Sword ID Help (Not Battle for Eternia).

Sword on the left is the Thunder Punch He-Man sword. What's the one on the right?

It's a one-sided (male) sword with no markings. Plastic seems a bit heavier than regular power swords.

Quick search of Google doesn't find this sword.

IMG_20160926_154751152.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Galaxy View Post
    Sword on the left is the Thunder Punch He-Man sword. What's the one on the right?

It's a one-sided (male) sword with no markings. Plastic seems a bit heavier than regular power swords.

Quick search of Google doesn't find this sword.

IMG_20160926_154751152.jpg
    They are both from Thunder Punch He-Man, probably Taiwan (opaque) and Mexico (solid) (standard Mexico, not Los Amos).

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by PetezorIII View Post
    They are both from Thunder Punch He-Man, probably Taiwan (opaque) and Mexico (solid) (standard Mexico, not Los Amos).
    Thanks for the assist! Thought it was weird that the sword on the right had no markings whatsoever but it didn't seem like a bootleg or KO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Are they both the same color?

He-Man's version (gray) has the "bar" while Skeletor's (dark purple) has the slot. They're meant to fit together. The idea was that both halves put together would grant access to Castle Grayskull.

Prince Adam's reddish-purple version also has the bar. Faker's orange version has the slot.

Sounds like John Black Star lore .

He-Man's sword mold has the finger guard on the right + tab and small holes, Skeletor's mold on the left + slot and small pegs.

I have a Skeletor sword with it on the right, using the He-Man mold, it came with a Dragon Blaster Skeletor I purchased. It's a much bluer-tinted purple.

I have seen both molds used for the solid color Thunder Punch He-Man sword, but only the He-Man mold for the translucent gold sword.

Prince Adam and the Weapons Pak blue use the He-Man mold, Faker uses Skeletor.

The commemorative line sticks to the intended molds but has a CHINA country stamp, and they don't seem quite compatible with vintage swords likely due to molding differences. Comm Faker's sword is based on Skeletor, but lacks the small tabs. Odd they'd make that change in the comm line.

So I was probably wrong about the TPHM swords- they come in either translucent gold or solid gold, but use the original He-Man half sword mold with the tab and holes.

The other gold sword with the "reverse" finger guard is the full sword from the board game. This sword is a bit shorter than the half sword and the details a bit thinner, and the handle itself is a bit thinner too. The sword is about the same width as a half sword.

One side has a "USA" stamp, the other has a "USA" and a "M.I. 1985". That side will also have a number on it, ranging from 1-8(I have 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8), likely because the board game had 8 copies. I have no idea why they have number stamps, perhaps all 8 were cast on one sprue. The side each stamp is on isn't universal, it can be flipped. It is a slightly darker gold than the "solid" TPHM sword.

Widget
    I have a double sided gold sword like the ones that you are discussing (see pic). Which board game are you all referring to?

I also have a double sided silver/grey sword, but smaller than the gold one (see pic). Can anyone provide info on where this sword came from??

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ruz1980 View Post
    I have a double sided gold sword like the ones that you are discussing (see pic). Which board game are you all referring to?

I also have a double sided silver/grey sword, but smaller than the gold one (see pic). Can anyone provide info on where this sword came from??

Capture.JPG
    I wonder if that smaller silver/grey sword comes from the Super 7 ReAction 3.75" inch He-man. I don't have any of the figures, but maybe someone who has him may be able to compare.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruz1980 View Post

Capture.JPG
    The smaller gray sword was included with a He-Man toothbrush holder set.

There is page here on the org which features it http://www.he-man.org/merchandising/item.php?id=2491

If you check out the picture, you can spot the sword over the figure's right hand.

Many of the bed and bath items came with a version of He-Man with newly sculpted, and often nicer, accessories in various sizes.