Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the ultimate reissues lose some of the fan base?

Heroic Warrior

Will the ultimate reissues lose some of the fan base?

While the completionists are going to stick around and get anything that comes out, the general collector/fan has to make a decision if they want to spend extra to get some extra heads and accessories for a figure they already own.

And if they go the sub model knowing that other than teela, the rest of the figures can be bought from the secondary market for cheap, I am not sure of the sustainability of the line.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    the general collector/fan has to make a decision if they want to spend extra to get some extra heads and accessories for a figure they already own.
    Which is not even the case for many a "general collector", and not even limited to Teela. And the only figure out of the five announced being somewhat "cheaply available" on the secondary market is Faker. Of course, your definition of "cheap" may vary here.

Most importantly, though, this might be a great way to bring in NEW fans/collectors, who could never be arsed to pay absurd prices for secondary market He-Mans and Skeletors just to lay a bare foundation for their future collection.

But of course, only time will tell.

No.

If Mattel couldn't lose their fan base with all of their antics and Digital River..... LOL.... WHY would releasing some key characters make you lose interest?

Think of these as out of subscription items. Bonuses.
    They aren't necessary if you have been around from the beginning.

I myself own everything except for a few 2016 items I'm still working on. Mainly Anti Eternia HeMan. But I plan on picking up at least that Ram Man and Teela.

Stuff catered to us long term fans will come.

They have to be careful with how far they go with re-issues and probably shouldn't go any further than the original 8 vintage characters. Maybe re-issue Fisto and Sorceress too. But that's where I think they should draw the line.

If folks start to feel like these will always be available and there is no urgency to buy the new more obscure figures then subscription sales will suffer. If the hardcore fan base is all Super7 need to keep the line going then I guess it isn't a problem. However if they want to keep as many folks subscribing who did for the 2016 line then they need to make it clear they WON'T be reissued later. Best idea would be to get rid of day of sales because given the characters are more obscure it isn't that hard to pick up extras on the secondary market.

Cherry pickers might not like it, but when it comes down to it if Super7 completely sell through each wave because they are made to order, then it would ensure we get another year of figures. This is certainly the only way NA is ever going to get completed.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    They have to be careful with how far they go with re-issues and probably shouldn't go any further than the original 8 vintage characters. Maybe re-issue Fisto and Sorceress too. But that's where I think they should draw the line.

If folks start to feel like these will always be available and there is no urgency to buy the new more obscure figures then subscription sales will suffer. If the hardcore fan base is all Super7 need to keep the line going then I guess it isn't a problem. However if they want to keep as many folks subscribing who did for the 2016 line then they need to make it clear they WON'T be reissued later. Best idea would be to get rid of day of sales because given the characters are more obscure it isn't that hard to pick up extras on the secondary market.

Cherry pickers might not like it, but when it comes down to it if Super7 completely sell through each wave because they are made to order, then it would ensure we get another year of figures. This is certainly the only way NA is ever going to get completed.
    Totally agree. Whatever the financial decision behind day of sale, having it killed mattycollector slowly but surely. They should do away with it and make it sub only at least for the first year.

Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Heroic Warrior
    I mostly agree too. I think the ultimate editions are a great idea for the figures they've announced. But this isn't a great idea for any/all figures in the line as it would kill the collector base, which is a large part of the revenue. So, it is a fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    Totally agree. Whatever the financial decision behind day of sale, having it killed mattycollector slowly but surely. They should do away with it and make it sub only at least for the first year.

While I will most likely be buying at least 1 of each the reissue I had assumed that the reissues would not be part of any potential sub. I'm all for the reissues and Yes I do have all of the figures shown and alt heads as well (I don't have a BA Faker though, ahem). I wouldn't think that reissues would normally drive off any collector, even those who aren't interested in them, everyone's wallet can use a break I'm sure. But if the reissues become part of a sub then yeah I could see people not subbing if the bulk of the figures are ones that most of us already have. I'd like to see many more reiusses, and S7 can count on me to buy most of them if not all of them. There are plenty more figures screaming to be rereleased. But I think it would be best to leave reissues as - out of sub items. It would be the best of both worlds, even if it delayed any sub of new figures to next year.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; October 16, 2016 at 01:59pm.

I don't get the impression that anyone is going to be "forced" to buy the Ultimate Reissues in a sub. The only thing I've heard is that the figures will be available for pre-order in December. Maybe you'll be able to individually pre-order the ones you want, and not buy the ones you don't?

Look at it from SUPER 7's perspective: Group A decides that you are disrespecting them, so they will not pay you $5000. Group B loves what you are doing and gladly pays you $5000. As long as you are making profit, do you care?
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    No, I personally do not think the new "Ultimate" Classics figures will lose any of the fan base. IMO, I think it's a brilliant move and will not only insure future unreleased characters, but will also bring in new collectors.

Besides, these are not only possibly superior to the previous releases, they are different. New pack-ins and paint hits, so are therefore technically not re-issues, but variants. They are also not pointless variants, but the bread-and-butter type (original He-man, Skeletor, Teela; not "jungle attack", or Man-at-arms with a different missile gauntlet. These will be very popular, and that helps the line to survive.

These are different enough that the originals will still be....well, original. We've been asking for some of these things for YEARS and now that we get them, is it really a wise idea to question them or be this critical? If anything, Digital River and the QC issues turned collectors off of the brand. This seems to be a vital transfusion that this line needs right now.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and original here

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    I don't get the impression that anyone is going to be "forced" to buy the Ultimate Reissues in a sub. The only thing I've heard is that the figures will be available for pre-order in December. Maybe you'll be able to individually pre-order the ones you want, and not buy the ones you don't?
    I think that would be ideal. I think the reissues are great but again it may distance some folks IF they are part of a sub along with new figures. Aside from that I can't imagine any reason that anyone would have a problem with the reissues. Looking forward to the preorder.

Heroic Warrior
    No. I think those vocally opposed to these reissues are the minority. Reception seems to be pretty positive. As long as they aren't sub items, I don't see what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by ero View Post
    I think those vocally opposed to these reissues are the minority. Reception seems to be pretty positive.
    Ever since this announcement, I haven't seen a single post about how these reissues will destroy the line. Sure....some people aren't crazy about them, but I don't think anybody believes that this is the end of MOTUC.
    Odd Man Out

If anything, the chance to get earlier released figures with better updated parts and updated paint schemes has got me more interested in MOTUC again. I'm more interested in updated core A/B-list characters than new Z-list characters. Especially since so many core characters came out at the beginning of the line before better parts became available.
    Last edited by FAKER II; October 16, 2016 at 06:33pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    If they do subs, they will lose some sales over this. I fir one have no need to sub these figures I already own. I will get the ram man, but have no interest in any of them others. After these figures get out of the way, then they should do the subscription. These reissues are great for those who missed out, but a lot of us who already have these just want ram man and we shouldn't have to rebuy these in a sub just to get a ram man. I think a lot of fans will sit back in this one and let the fans that missed out on these get them. Then when they are ready to do a new line up of figures we all will be buying them. They truly can't expect us long time fans that have these to buy them again. That would be a foolish thought for business.

No.

These represent a restart for the Classics line. Anyone who is a fan of MOTU should welcome these. They give people a chance to get their hands on the hard to get figures. I have nearly every MOTUC figure, but I still want He-Man, Teela, and cardback Ram Man. I guarantee most collectors are happy to get these variants.

It's a restart.

Court Magician
    Nope its a whole new line and a company that is excited about the property is releasing it!

Reissue figures aren't going to be in the subs, so calm down. These reissues are a brilliant move for two reasons: 1) Super 7 can make an easy buck off of all the late comers who have been clamoring to get ahold of the core characters for years, and 2) Super 7 can sell these in their brick and mortar stores to casual walk-in customers who could care less about your Uncle Montorks and Lodars, but would easily spring for a He-Man or Skeletor to maybe put on their desk at work. The subs will remain solely the domain of the hardcore collectors looking to get their mitts on the remaining obscure characters.

It's obvious that this will be the business model going forward. Why all of you guys insist on prognosticating all of this "sky is falling" nonsense is beyond me. Just chill and wait for the sub announcement next year. In the meantime, maybe find some hobbies to keep you busy, like dusting your toy shelves.

These will only increase sales going forward.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    Reissue figures aren't going to be in the subs, so calm down. These reissues are a brilliant move for two reasons: 1) Super 7 can make an easy buck off of all the late comers who have been clamoring to get ahold of the core characters for years, and 2) Super 7 can sell these in their brick and mortar stores to casual walk-in customers who could care less about your Uncle Montorks and Lodars, but would easily spring for a He-Man or Skeletor to maybe put on their desk at work. The subs will remain solely the domain of the hardcore collectors looking to get their mitts on the remaining obscure characters.

It's obvious that this will be the business model going forward. Why all of you guys insist on prognosticating all of this "sky is falling" nonsense is beyond me. Just chill and wait for the sub announcement next year. In the meantime, maybe find some hobbies to keep you busy, like dusting your toy shelves.
    I agree with this ^^^^^^^^ 100%
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

I think this move is an absolute necessity if the line is to continue. I could care less about maintaining scarcity and secondary market prices. I want a couple of extra He-man and Skeletor figures so that I can display them with vehicles and alternate heads. I love the alternate color scheme on Ram Man and the Extra heads and acccessories with Teela and Faker make both worth the purchase. Keep in mind that the majority of these characters go for close to 100 bucks a pop on Ebay with Teela and Ram Man bringing even more. This line has been completely inaccessible to anyone on a budget who didn't get onboard within the first few years. Offering these hard to obtain figures (and hopefully more) in ultimate editions will boost interest in the line as a whole and I guarantee that subs will be up this year.
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

The only thing that these reissues will do is bring in new fans who weren't around in the beginning. That is a very good thing, for both Super7 and us.

As long as the reissues keep bringing updates to older, fan-demanded characters (and stay out-of-sub), and the MOTUC train continues to roll - with new 200X, NA, Mini comic, '87 movie, and Filmation figures - then everyone will be happy.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I have all the original versions of these characters as well as mix-matches of the various heads to bodies, but will still collect the ultimate editions because of:
    - He-man - not sure why, I have these variations already
    - Skeletor - Alcala sword
    - Faker - vintage toy head and Alcala sword
    - Teela - blonde pony tail head
    - Ram-man - card back colour variation.

If Super7 are to continue with the re-issues I hope they keep throwing in something new for those of us who have been here from the start and collected additional figures to display all the different heads.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I can't see the reissues being anything other than a positive for this line.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |