Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Axel Giménez's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I think that armband is just an armband. Metal or somesuch, for Snarll.

What I'm really excited about is what you said about the Encyclopedia. I have yet to crack it open seriously but this is very exciting news! I'll be checking tonight to see if the image you posted (that we are all familiar with by now) of the black haired He-Ra (Hera) is along with the entry you mention.

I'd love for this image to actually have now an A) official name and B) official history. I especially love (if this is truely the same character) that she is a Preternian character, as I'd want her to be, ala Vikor (who I imagine as a contemporary).
    I think Scott said Snarlll was one of the characters allied with the Horde during the Second Ultimate Battleground. That info couldn't be in the encyclopedia though because it was in an interview, so technically there's no official canon for the character yet (not even his name).
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Another of the five designs that Mattel commissioned me to define at the time, after my work in minicomic #5.

GLADIATOR, one of the Men-At-Arms of KING GRAYSKULL.

Gladiator (Final Design).jpg Gladiator (Final Design - Pencils).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; June 3, 2017 at 05:21pm.

Ahh, Gladiator, probably my second-favorite from this particular batch of characters. I love the way the Horde Trooper parts give us a bit of a visual story for him (I'm assuming the Horde Trooper leg is supposed to be a metal leg and not armor of some sort?) Toyguru stated that Gladiator's "vintage gimmick" was that he would come with a ton of weapons, and I remember an earlier pre-colored sketch of him that had more weapons, were you asked to remove the extras or was that your own choice?

So, we've done Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Shadow, and Gladiator, that means my favorite must be next!

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Now THAT is the perfect Choloh.

Is there any way this design could be submitted to Super7 for consideration? Or is it considered an unofficial custom that can't be made into figure form?
    Thank you all for your comments. I'm really glad you liked my design for the regular version of LORD CHOLOH.

As happened with FANG-OR, Super 7 has access to all the designs I've done at the time for the line, and in any case, my files are available to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    That's a cool idea!

Axel, you never cease to amaze me with your awesome work!
    Thank you so much, my Lady!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Nice loving it for some reason in the original vykron pic i thought he was human, but digging this guy alot
    Glad you like him! Thanks! The version that appears in the art of Vykron, in the background, is quite indefinite in some aspects, but since he is the Lord of the Beast Men, I thought that the most appropriate thing to represent that relation, is that he has some characteristics of beast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    There are many characters whose stories could be developed for the Great Wars era through to Oo-larr's time. Characters like the Enchantress and what links in MOTUC canon she may have with Marzo as Miro's jailer. Lord Choloh fits squarely in this category. Axel's art brings this character to life and now he needs more of a story. The art provides two options and the intriguing possibility the character could be a shapeshifter between a beast-man and a beast.

Axel, you have taken a name, turned it into a character I for one would desperately love to see in my figure collection, perhaps as the only 1-man two-pack.
    I'm glad you like him. It would be great to be able to expand the stories from the bios and develop specific events, through new minicomics, narrated in a simple way, almost as happened in the minicomics of the original line, and thus continue helping to expand this fantasy world, with new characters interacting with the classics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I'm still wondering if that concept of Choloh is a design that Super7 would potentially have access to in order to make a figure...
    I don't see why they couldn't do it, just as they did with FANG-OR.

- - - Updated - - -

Axel i have a question the hera you drew up was the concept art for shera back in the day, now in the new encyclopedia that is an entry for hera which staes she is the daugher of hero and king grayskulls kid and one if the protectors of the sword of the sword of He. Are they one in the same characters or are they separete? Also i am very intriged about the character snarlll the snow thief, is he part if the horde or is he and independent villian. the only reason i ask is because he has what looks like a horde armband in the one image we have of him?
    Attachment 113115
    Attachment 113116
    I think I don't understand your question about HE-RA.

About SNARRRLLL, yes, he's part of the EVIL HORDE.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobot View Post
    Ahh, Gladiator, probably my second-favorite from this particular batch of characters. I love the way the Horde Trooper parts give us a bit of a visual story for him (I'm assuming the Horde Trooper leg is supposed to be a metal leg and not armor of some sort?) Toyguru stated that Gladiator's "vintage gimmick" was that he would come with a ton of weapons, and I remember an earlier pre-colored sketch of him that had more weapons, were you asked to remove the extras or was that your own choice?

So, we've done Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Shadow, and Gladiator, that means my favorite must be next!
    The parts from the HORDE TROOPERS, are replacements of his natural limbs, after some battle.

And yes, as can be seen in the final version in pencils, there are many accessories proposed for him, although in the final version in color, only two were left for reasons of time when having to reveal the five designs, but that doesn't mean that some of the other accessories could be included, if the figure were finally made.

About the next design to share, it could be the remnant of this batch, or an update to one of the new Snake Men, this time with accessories.

I figured the Trooper parts were replacement limbs. His name is Gladiator, he appears to be a master of many weapons, he comes from a period in which the Snake Men imprisoned humans as slaves and/or cattle, and he has metal/robotic replacement limbs. Frankly, I figure his story kind of writes itself.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    About the next design to share, it could be the remnant of this batch, or an update to one of the new Snake Men, this time with accessories.
    Well, I for one am waiting patiently for BANDWIDTH! He is my personal favorite of all the new characters introduced by MOTUC (Hans Hammer Holder is a close second, with Fork Lift as third). I'd love to see more about him, his sketches, any back story that might be available, and most importantly, does the dial on his chest turn?
    I'll admit though, I LOVE the new Snake Men designs, and would also enjoy seeing any accessories that could come with them.

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    Very cool character designs in cholo and gladiator! Looking forward to your next post.
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I have a fun question for Axel too. Of all the characters that you worked on designing, which one would you say you enjoyed working on the most??
    You know, I enjoy working on any project related to Masters of the Universe or Princess of Power. But maybe the designs I enjoyed working the most, were those commissioned by Mattel after finishing my work on minicomic #5, you know, FANG-OR, GREAT BLACK WIZARD, etc, since I was able to devote all my time completely to them, instead of having to work on several things at once, as happened with everyone else.

AXOR: I think I don't understand your question about HE-RA.

Very cool to hear that Snarll is part of evil horde, they need a cold weather agent. In regards to He-ra i just wanted the to know if the He-ra you drew is the same he-ra.jpg one that is mentioned in the new dark horse character guide?

AXOR: I think I don't understand your question about HE-RA.

Very cool to hear that Snarll is part of evil horde, they need a cold weather agent. In regards to He-ra i just wanted the to know if the He-ra you drew is the same he-ra.jpg one that is mentioned in the new dark horse character guide?
    Oh, thanks for the clarification. Yes, she's the same, since my version reuses the concept of that early design of She-Ra. I like the idea of having her as a different character from the age of Preternia.

By the way, I just updated the file with her design, including some improvements in the art, and description of the new and reused parts needed for her figure.
    Last edited by AXOR; June 4, 2017 at 09:13pm.

A concept, of which I had pending to finish the final design. LORD CHOLOH, based on the version that appears in art of VYKRON, which would be a regular figure, instead of the version that reuses Gygor body, that would be a beast.

Attachment 113052
    I NEED this figure!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think Scott said Snarlll was one of the characters allied with the Horde during the Second Ultimate Battleground. That info couldn't be in the encyclopedia though because it was in an interview, so technically there's no official canon for the character yet (not even his name).
    Is this interview still online somewhere?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

ˇ ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Another of the five designs that Mattel commissioned me to define at the time, after my work in minicomic #5.

GLADIATOR, one of the Men-At-Arms of KING GRAYSKULL.

Gladiator (Final Design).jpg Gladiator (Final Design - Pencils).jpg
    Great work but I think he'd look even better without the Horde Trooper leg.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I would love to see those snakemen accessories personally

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    That could be the version before the wars, but they asked for this design in particular.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    This will be the pack in figure that comes with the Land Shark.
    And that would be the final, ultimate F.U. to everyone trying to army-build the Skelcons, after the Roton's supreme middle-finger.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    That could be the version before the wars, but they asked for this design in particular.
    I absolutely agree it seems a very strange choice to set a heroic man-at-arms type character in Preternia that uses Horde Trooper body parts. Unfortunately the new Encyclopedia doesn't flesh out his origin. I wonder if he is a failed Hordak experiment like Extendar or Dragstor.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I have a question in regards to gladiator, if he was the man arms of gray skulls era, 2 problems contradict or cause discontinuity within the MOTUC Bios. 1. It states in man at arms bio the the position of man at a arms was created 300 years before Duncan was born, and since grayskulls era was 5000 years ago, they contradict themselves. 2. If Gladiator was the man at arms of Grayskulls era , why would king heman send Spector back to retrieve SLL to train Dare and be the new man at arms when it should have been Gladiator instead. While he certainly looks more like a man at arms, just going off what the bios have told us it creates more problems then making sense IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I absolutely agree it seems a very strange choice to set a heroic man-at-arms type character in Preternia that uses Horde Trooper body parts. Unfortunately the new Encyclopedia doesn't flesh out his origin. I wonder if he is a failed Hordak experiment like Extendar or Dragstor.
    The way I see it, there are two ways to look at this character:

1. The Horde Trooper leg isn't a Horde Trooper leg, it is a prosthetic that just happens to look like a Horde Trooper leg. His name is Gladiator, he is a weapons master, and he comes from an era when humans were enslaved by Snake Men. So lets say he was an average person who was captured by the Snake Men and trained to fight in an arena for their amusement. Over time, Gladiator (who has since forgotten his own name) racked up so many wins and was so entertaining that the Snake Men masses refused to let him stop, even in the face of grievous bodily harm. Every time he got injured, they patched him up. Every time he lost a limb, they replaced it with a prosthetic. Eventually, King Grayskull's forces liberated the arena and Gladiator happily signed up with the Masters to get some sweet revenge, using the weapons skills he learned in the gladiator fights against the very Snake Men that taught them to him (this is my personal origin for Gladiator.)

2. Gladiator is just a really good, really tough fighter. One day, he was ambushed by a squad of Horde Troopers, who he slaughtered his way through. Eventually, one of the Troopers gets a lucky shot in, and lasers off Gladiator's leg. Undeterred, Gladiator destroys the Trooper, and fashions himself a prosthetic out of that Troopers leg, both as a trophy, and as a warning. Nobody would want to mess with a guy who kills an adversary and walks around on his leg, would they?

1. The Horde Trooper leg isn't a Horde Trooper leg, it is a prosthetic that just happens to look like a Horde Trooper leg. His name is Gladiator, he is a weapons master, and he comes from an era when humans were enslaved by Snake Men. So lets say he was an average person who was captured by the Snake Men and trained to fight in an arena for their amusement. Over time, Gladiator (who has since forgotten his own name) racked up so many wins and was so entertaining that the Snake Men masses refused to let him stop, even in the face of grievous bodily harm. Every time he got injured, they patched him up. Every time he lost a limb, they replaced it with a prosthetic. Eventually, King Grayskull's forces liberated the arena and Gladiator happily signed up with the Masters to get some sweet revenge, using the weapons skills he learned in the gladiator fights against the very Snake Men that taught them to him (this is my personal origin for Gladiator.)

2. Gladiator is just a really good, really tough fighter. One day, he was ambushed by a squad of Horde Troopers, who he slaughtered his way through. Eventually, one of the Troopers gets a lucky shot in, and lasers off Gladiator's leg. Undeterred, Gladiator destroys the Trooper, and fashions himself a prosthetic out of that Troopers leg, both as a trophy, and as a warning. Nobody would want to mess with a guy who kills an adversary and walks around on his leg, would they?
    Hahaha I like both answers but it could also be he just wearing armor on that side of his body for what ever reason, i mean we saw heman wear it in the secret of the sword, why couldnt that just be the answer rather then it being replacement limbs?

Heroic Warrior

I like both of these stories, or even a combo of the two. It could even be that whatever design was used to create his prosthetic was later stolen by Hordak and implemented into his troopers.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question in regards to gladiator, if he was the man arms of gray skulls era, 2 problems contradict or cause discontinuity within the MOTUC Bios. 1. It states in man at arms bio the the position of man at a arms was created 300 years before Duncan was born, and since grayskulls era was 5000 years ago, they contradict themselves. 2. If Gladiator was the man at arms of Grayskulls era , why would king heman send Spector back to retrieve SLL to train Dare and be the new man at arms when it should have been Gladiator instead. While he certainly looks more like a man at arms, just going off what the bios have told us it creates more problems then making sense IMO.
    Well, the bios are all for our imagination anyway; however, it does not necessarily have to create a continuity error. Here is one one possible way around it. Perhaps King Grayskull had multiple weapons masters that he commonly referred to has his "men at arms" that included SLL and Gladiator. Then, after this common term for weapons masters and trainers was used for nearly five thousand years, the official position of "Man-at-Arms" was created for one person who was THE primary weapons master and combat instructor for the royal family.

Axel, whenever time allows, were there any sketches made of Spin Whiz? Aside from a brief appearance in the 3rd mini-comic, Scott mentioned that he (or rather it) was a Horde Hunter robot that was reprogrammed to serve the Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    And that would be the final, ultimate F.U. to everyone trying to army-build the Skelcons, after the Roton's supreme middle-finger.
    Of course I was only joking about it being a pack in with the Land Shark but I do have to agree with you. I didn't like the fact that the Skelcon only came as a pack in with the Roton. Believe me when I say it has cost me a pretty penny to buy a couple of loose Skelcons.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I've been looking but I can't find it. It might have been an answer to a question on the Matty forums, or else it was a sweeping remark about the new characters/Horde allies that didn't single out Snarlll by name. I'm happy with there being a blank slate for the guy, personally.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Axel, whenever time allows, were there any sketches made of Spin Whiz? Aside from a brief appearance in the 3rd mini-comic, Scott mentioned that he (or rather it) was a Horde Hunter robot that was reprogrammed to serve the Masters.
    I would also like to see and learn more about the Spinwhizzzz robot.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    As far as I know, which i try to follow all of this very closely, i have not seen any info on this guy besides him being identified in the one Q an A and the one thread about what their action features would be if they were made in the 80's.

Update----------------------------------------------------
    Actually i just went back to the post i had about this and saw my original question
    Answers to WTFWTK 2.94!
    4. facet: Who is this Horde Character from the new third mini comic?
    Snarrrlll

i did ask if it was a new horde character and scott did say yes, so i would say that constitutes a confirmation
    Last edited by facet; June 8, 2017 at 02:10pm.