Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel no longer owns the rights to MOTU?

I've posted about this before. There's different types of rights when it comes to MOTU and POP.
    I think this is answered with a question: Why would Mattel have two new cartoons and new toys in 2021 only to lose the rights in two years?
    The answer is that they wouldn't.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Night Stalker answered this (or at least shed light on the matter) near the bottom of this page: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...oy-Store/page6

Scott is the only person who has consistently maintained this all these years. The fact that Mattel is gearing up to re-launch MOTU, spending a lot of money in the process, seems to contradict this notion. Lets think about this objectively, if they really were gearing up to lose the rights in a year and a half from now, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they would be spending money that could be better spent on Barbie or Hot Wheels and the like. It just doesn't seem right, if you think about it. Maybe he's been fed bad information, or, I'm sorry, is just wrong? But the fact that many of his videos are chock full of veiled insults aimed Mattel's way doesn't do his credibility any favours.

As I've said before, if Mattel really are going to lose the rights soon, then someone needs to tell them pronto, because I don't think they're aware.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 12, 2021 at 01:13pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Night Stalker answered this (or at least shed light on the matter) near the bottom of this page: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...oy-Store/page6

Scott is the only person who has consistently maintained this all these years. The fact that Mattel is gearing up to re-launch MOTU, spending a lot of money in the process, seems to contradict this notion. Lets think about this objectively, if they really were gearing up to lose the rights in a year and a half from now, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they would be spending money that could be better spent on Barbie or Hot Wheels and the like. It just doesn't seem right, if you think about it. Maybe he's been fed bad information, or, I'm sorry, is just wrong? But the fact that many of his videos are chock full of veiled insults aimed Mattel's way doesn't do his credibility any favours.

As I've said before, if Mattel really are going to lose the rights soon, then someone needs to tell them pronto, because I don't think they're aware.
    Ok, so...clickbait. Thanks!

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Why are the new shows going to Netflix and not Peacock...

Why on most all merchandise and mentions of Revelation there no reference to Dreamworks or Universal...

Why are they launching a whole Masterverse line only to have it potentially snatched away in a year and a half...

I am sure there are some things we don't and will never know, but I don't think what Scott is spouting is 100% accurate

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ShBJTWQafHE

So according to this video, Universal gains complete control over the MOTU franchise in 2023. Given all the upcoming MOTU materials Mattel is doing, plus the whole 2014 court ruling, I don't believe it, but was there something I missed? Or is this guy just hunting for clicks?
    What was the 2014 court ruling about?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    What was the 2014 court ruling about?
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...nership-687138

That was the lawsuit by Donald Glut where he claimed ownership of the franchise due to his work on the original mini-comics. Notably, Mattel was the defendant, not Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I've posted about this before. There's different types of rights when it comes to MOTU and POP.
    I think this is answered with a question: Why would Mattel have two new cartoons and new toys in 2021 only to lose the rights in two years?
    I'm not saying what you said is wrong, but the answer could also be that they are trying to cash in on what they can with the MOTU franchise while it's still available to them. They may not have plans to keep MOTU an evergreen brand, and are treating it like a lot of lines that only stick around a year or two and then vanish again. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that they could have seen that their time was running out, so get what they can out of it now before it goes away. Or, it could be exactly what you said. No one really knows except those who work at Mattel, and even they don't seem to know what they are doing half the time .
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I'm not saying what you said is wrong, but the answer could also be that they are trying to cash in on what they can with the MOTU franchise while it's still available to them. They may not have plans to keep MOTU an evergreen brand, and are treating it like a lot of lines that only stick around a year or two and then vanish again. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that they could have seen that their time was running out, so get what they can out of it now before it goes away. Or, it could be exactly what you said. No one really knows except those who work at Mattel, and even they don't seem to know what they are doing half the time .
    Why would they spend that money? What would be the point? Re-launching a one-time flagship brand can't be cheap. Would they go to all that trouble and expense for a brand that hasn't really made them money in years that they're set to loose in a year and a half anyway? The whole thing just smells off. And as I've said before, Scott is literally the only person who is maintaining this. No one else. He's starting to sound like a flat-Earther.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 12, 2021 at 01:51pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Now that you say that. I believe Mr. N. said to the effect of Mattel had first right of refusal on toys.

The land of rights for MOTU and POP is a big mixed bag.
    But, I stand by my post that Mattel would not be doing all they are currently doing only to lose their rights in two years. They have a lot of other things in which they could invest the time and money.
    Maybe they lose some rights 2023? Or maybe they lose the retro rights? Maybe they bought rights back recently? Who the heck knows.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

But, I stand by my post that Mattel would not be doing all they are currently doing only to lose their rights in two years. They have a lot of other things in which they could invest the time and money.
    Maybe they lose some rights 2023? Or maybe they lose the retro rights? Maybe they bought rights back recently? Who the heck knows.
    I agree with you. They are not pushing out this much new MOTU product to only lose rights in 2023. If they wanted to cash in on the property, they could have done it by producing a Retro line similar to what Hasbro did with the StarWars property. Collectors would buy it up, and they could use old tooling. Why spend the money to develop three new action figure lines (and other toys such as MOTU Uno cards, Imaginext and MOTU Minis) only to pull the plug in two years?

You are much more in-the-know than I could ever be... but I'd also say the same about Scott....

My question would be "What would be worth Scott putting his reputation on the line to totally fabricate something from nothing?"

As you've indicated, its a mess of a scenario... maybe there's a little truth as you indicated... in certain parts of the rights running out....

I think another good question is... just why IS Mattel would doing all they are currently doing after soo many years of so little focus on MOTU product?
    This is a link to a YT channel "Dez360" --- a toy-related show I help with... and here's a link to a He-Man parody video Living In Eternia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmYGVhilGw&t=68s
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    I think another good question is... just why IS Mattel would doing all they are currently doing after soo many years of so little focus on MOTU product?
    Because they're re-launching the brand, which is what the CEO has been reiterating time and again lately. And I think a lot of the movement we've been seeing lately is down to the CEO. He comes from an entertainment background, and since his appointment in 2018, he has consistently talked about how MOTU could be bigger than it currently is. So its no coincidence there's been so much movement on MOTU since he became CEO.

And as Val said, all this time and money could be better spent elsewhere than on a brand that hasn't made Mattel much money in years and that they're scheduled to lose soon anyway. As I said before, something seems very off about the 2023 doomsday prediction. If Mattel are losing the rights, they sure as hell don't know about it.

And Scott, might I add, has not worked at Mattel for over half a decade. At this precise moment in time, he probably knows just as much as the rest of us in regards to the inner workings at Mattel.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Why do people get obsessed with the losing notion ?? To my understanding what Scott says on this video
    is that Mattel won't be prioritised anymore to producing Motu toys, which is way different.
    Meaning that Mattel and any other toy compagny would be on the same boat in the eyes of Universal
    when it comes to deal the Motu license past this date.

Should this statement turning out being true, I guess that'd be a win-win situation for a lot of us !
    WATCH THE OUTSTANDING NEW MUSIC VIDEO "Almighty's Hand" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9ld7ynu6w
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel

And Scott, might I add, has not worked at Mattel for over half a decade. At this precise moment in time, he probably knows just as much as the rest of us in regards to the inner workings at Mattel.
    I get that... I just have always thought that if you continue to move in the same circles, you might pick up stuff that "civilians" might not know despite still not being in the belly of the beast.

Because they're re-launching the brand, which is what the CEO has been reiterating time and again lately. And I think a lot of the movement we've been seeing lately is down to the CEO. He comes from an entertainment background, and since his appointment in 2018, he has consistently talked about how MOTU could be bigger than it currently is. So its no coincidence there's been so much movement on MOTU since he became CEO.
    Okay. The new CEO. Sounds reasonable.

Please excuse my ignorance/probing here, but when I hear:
    And as Val said, all this time and money could be better spent elsewhere than on a brand that hasn't made Mattel much money in years....
    Followed by:

...and that they're scheduled to lose soon anyway.
    I see it like you're saying that Scott is saying they're losing all rights soon... but that is not the case because then Mattel would be wasting their money right now.

And then you say:

As I said before, something seems very off about the 2023 doomsday prediction. If Mattel are losing the rights, they sure as hell don't know about it.
    From what I've read on this subject (Scott/Val included), there are a lot of moving parts in this equation... to the point where, for all we know, something big IS going down in 2023 and Mattel just has to prepare for it with the kind of blitz they are doing right now.

I mean, you know the deal with these kinds of things being slanted legally (in court) in favor of the entities actually utilizing the brand rights with current output, right?

Taking THAT into consideration, my humble opinion is that it begins to feel less "off" that there could be some truth in the 2023 concerns... 2019 onward has been a very "showy" period for Mattel as far MOTU... it could possibly be just as much to aid Mattel in retaining certain rights (with tricky hoops to jump) as it is a strategy by the new CEO to move MOTU to higher heights.
    This is a link to a YT channel "Dez360" --- a toy-related show I help with... and here's a link to a He-Man parody video Living In Eternia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmYGVhilGw&t=68s
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    mattel lost DC to mcfarlane. barbie is constantly being attacked by the left. only little kids buy hot wheels. getting as much money as they can, out of he-man, as fast as they can, make sense. as kids keep moving to video games, they know they have a small window to capitalize on that "retro-play" money before it's too late & he-man moves to mcfarlane or hasbro.
    Last edited by Lazer Force Zodac; April 28, 2021 at 11:28am.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

You are much more in-the-know than I could ever be... but I'd also say the same about Scott....
    Scott had access to a ton of information when he worked at Mattel. But despite that (and I'm NOT trying to be a jerk when I say this), Scott has stated numerous things in his past videos that are incorrect. You can find comments in his videos that point out these mistakes or inconsistencies. But we all make mistakes so I don't fault him for getting some things wrong from time to time.

So with that in mind, I think it's possible Scott's information about this rights issue isn't 100% accurate, and/or it's also possible things have changed since he left the company back in 2015 (I think that was the year he left. My apologies if that's wrong).

I'm happy admitting I have no idea what's going on with the rights. But logically, it doesn't make sense for Mattel to be doing all they are doing if they lose the rights in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    mattel lost DC to mcfarlane. barbie is constantly being attached by the left. only little kids buy hot wheels. getting as much money as they can, out of he-man, as fast as they can, make sense. as kids keep moving to video games, they know they have a small window to capitalize on that "retro-play" money before it's too late & he-man moves to mcfarlane or hasbro.
    I seriously doubt that. Why would Mattel dump money into a brand that has had a couple of misfires in the past if they only have two years left on that brand? Or worse yet, if they think the company might go under?
    If that was the case, IMO they would dump that money into what they currently produce that they know sells, pump up the company's value the best they can, and cash out at the highest value possible for their portfolio.

Widget
    From the push by Mattel to produce Origins (tapping into our nostalgic past) and Masterverse (our futue) among other MOTU toy products and upcoming media, I get the feeling Mattel is feeling the pressure or fear of losing one of their greatest IPs ever. The fact that Universal (MOTU owner) and Hasbro (rival) have a very good relationship, that the expiring first pass that Mattel will lose in 2023 could mean opportunity for Hasbro, in fact I won't be surprise their is a bunch of MOTU prototypes at Hasbro that might be waiting in the wings come pitch day. I mean Universal owes it to themselves as the owner of MOTU to hear out all potential toy companies, so Hasbro will definitely get their chance, something Mattel is going to dread, so right now Mattel is trying to produce something in present day of substance to bring to Universal to justify them keeping the rights. But from the looks of those latest toys, I don't know, I'm not really inspired by a 10 episode series either. But atleast they got Origins right, except its distribution is wrong. Hasbro could offer up a Marvel Legends scale line up, they could literally do over the entirety of Classics as MOTU Legends line. I think if Hasbro gets MOTU they will produce so many different series, just as they have been doing with Transformers and Star Wars, it would be impossible to collect them all, I can't predict if that would be a good thing or bad thing at this point.
    Last edited by HueMan; April 12, 2021 at 04:15pm.

The idea that Mattel is doing all this with the MOTU brand to show to Universal why they should keep the rights, sort of like a future-proof "job interview", is quite a leap.

Widget
    The idea that Mattel is doing all this with the MOTU brand to show to Universal why they should keep the rights, sort of like a future-proof "job interview", is quite a leap.
    Well like it or not, Mattel will have to present something to Universal come 2023, it's no longer automatic for them, it's no longer future-proof. That isn't a leap, that's reality.

Personally, I couldn't care less which company produces MOTU toys. All that matters is if the sculpt, paint and overall quality are good.

Exactly , so if anyone is up for that do not spend a dime on origins, let Hasbro do a pitch. Come lic due.Maybe the 4horseman? What about others
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Personally, I couldn't care less which company produces MOTU toys. All that matters is if the sculpt, paint and overall quality are good.

My question would be "What would be worth Scott putting his reputation on the line to totally fabricate something from nothing?"

As you've indicated, its a mess of a scenario... maybe there's a little truth as you indicated... in certain parts of the rights running out....

Why would he lie? To sound like he has insider knowledge, trying to stay relevant in the industry that left him behind, and to get views on his videos is a good enough reason.

As to why is Mattel focusing on motu all of a sudden? Remember they just lost the license to DC toys so they need all their other brands to pick up the slack of what DC was bringing in for them. And in house brands are the cheapest way to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HueMan View Post
    Well like it or not, Mattel will have to present something to Universal come 2023, it's no longer automatic for them, it's no longer future-proof. That isn't a leap, that's reality.
    Universal doesn’t own motu and never will. By the juggling of ownerships on fimlation etc, universal owns that and the characters and look of the film action universe until about 2030 at which time Mattel gets first dibs on buying those rights.

Google who owns the trademarks for motu. It’s Mattel. They don’t and won’t lose it in 2023.

Scott knows just as much as I would for my old retail Corp job I worked at over 5 years ago which isn’t much. The Corporate world churns so much and so quickly that any info you have is quickly outdated after just 18 months. Sure I know certain things from my old job since I have friends I keep up with but there’s no way I’d know the inner workings like I used to and it’s ridiculous to think I would otherwise, no matter how many friends I still have working there.
    cogito ergo doleo

Maybe he's been fed bad information, or, I'm sorry, is just wrong? But the fact that many of his videos are chock full of veiled insults aimed Mattel's way doesn't do his credibility any favours.
    This is why I can't be bothered to sit through any of his videos. I gave the first half dozen or so a watch out of curiosity, but the vibe I get is "disgruntled employee constantly wants to drag his old employers and some of the consumer base through the mud and now has an outlet with which to do that". We all have war stories in our various fields of expertise, but to get on a youtube channel and use that outlet to casually hurl monkeypoop (while simultaneously, constantly tooting his own horn) when I was hoping to just watch a video and hear about the origins of Wun-Dar is like... oooohkay buddy, I get what this channel is really all about now

- - - Updated - - -

The whole thing just smells off. And as I've said before, Scott is literally the only person who is maintaining this. No one else. He's starting to sound like a flat-Earther.
    And then there's that aspect as well.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sorry.

I absolutely don't buy the fact that Hasbro or anybody is sitting on any kind of masters stuff. I very seriously doubt that x dollars and time was put into something that they HAVE to sit on AND NOT make money off of.

I absolutely don't buy that after hearing Brian from super 7 saying that there were these prototype bucks they was going to use only to change it to limbs. That kind of got quiet and didn't happen. I never saw any radical buck or limb. So, in my opinion, Brian loses crediability. I was looking forward to those things. I got excited.

It doesn't take 2 years to come up with a pitch. I don't buy that.

Mattel passed on vintage star wars right? That's how/why we got masters. Hopefully Mattel has a historian who is reminding this. i.e. don't make stupid or rash decisions.

And yet I understand that the Masters line hasn't been a steady cash cow for them. But, it would be stupid to let it go. Doesn't make sense.

Every since watching the video I've had a hard time wrapping my head around.

Am I missing something? Could be

Am I not understanding something? Could be.

All in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HueMan View Post
    From the push by Mattel to produce Origins (tapping into our nostalgic past) and Masterverse (our futue) among other MOTU toy products and upcoming media, I get the feeling Mattel is feeling the pressure or fear of losing one of their greatest IPs ever. The fact that Universal (MOTU owner) and Hasbro (rival) have a very good relationship, that the expiring first pass that Mattel will lose in 2023 could mean opportunity for Hasbro, in fact I won't be surprise their is a bunch of MOTU prototypes at Hasbro that might be waiting in the wings come pitch day. I mean Universal owes it to themselves as the owner of MOTU to hear out all potential toy companies, so Hasbro will definitely get their chance, something Mattel is going to dread, so right now Mattel is trying to produce something in present day of substance to bring to Universal to justify them keeping the rights. But from the looks of those latest toys, I don't know, I'm not really inspired by a 10 episode series either. But atleast they got Origins right, except its distribution is wrong. Hasbro could offer up a Marvel Legends scale line up, they could literally do over the entirety of Classics as MOTU Legends line. I think if Hasbro gets MOTU they will produce so many different series, just as they have been doing with Transformers and Star Wars, it would be impossible to collect them all, I can't predict if that would be a good thing or bad thing at this point.