Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch and Zelda Breath of the Wild: March 3/17

I should have my copy of Super Mario 3D All Stars tomorrow!

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to play Super Mario Galaxy again (for the 1,000th time! )

I cannot believe that this game is the second best-selling game of 2020... and it was just announced a couple of weeks ago!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    My wife has decided that she wants a switch for her birthday

I'd been holding off because I have so many retro games to play that I'll die of old age before I complete them. But if she wants a switch...who am I to argue?

So far none are available but hoping to see more in stores soon.
    I've seen the standard version sitting on the shelf at local Walmarts here and there recently. I haven't seen a Lite since the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I've seen the standard version sitting on the shelf at local Walmarts here and there recently. I haven't seen a Lite since the pandemic.
    Ok that's interesting. I've only been looking at Walmart.com and they show no stock. Maybe I need to go visit a few.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Ah, I assume you will be playing those NES and SNES games through Nintendo Online Subscriptions? Have fun on the collection man.
    Oh no man I had a guy mod my NES mini and it now has over 16,000 games on it. I have 36 different consoles like the NES, SNES Genesis, Playstation 1, Neo Geo, and every arcade game up through about 1997.

There are SO MANY RPG's I want to play I will never finish.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Oh no man I had a guy mod my NES mini and it now has over 16,000 games on it. I have 36 different consoles like the NES, SNES Genesis, Playstation 1, Neo Geo, and every arcade game up through about 1997.

There are SO MANY RPG's I want to play I will never finish. [/QUOTE]

Ah... LOL, I thought you're going to take the advantage of the membership perk from Switch Subscriptions.

-------------

For you Monster Hunter lovers, We've got some great for you.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

So I've been playing a bunch of Super Mario 3D All Stars and, overall, I like the package.

For me, Super Mario 64 is the best game in this set. It has a crisp, up-scaled resolution that runs at a constant 30 fps. The difference between this version and the original is night and day.

Super Mario Sunshine is probably the worst game in the collection. (And not just because I've never really liked this game.) Yes, it runs in 1080p and looks fantastic, but it has no GameCube controller support (??) and the camera controls aren't reversible!?!

Now, one of my all time favorite games (not just SMB games) is Super Mario Galaxy. I was really looking forward to this conversion, and in some respects it is absolutely beautiful. It runs at a solid 60 fps in 1080p! BUT, Galaxy has always been a game about immersion and control, and sadly, neither the Joy-Cons nor Pro Controller can emulate that special feeling of the WiiMote and Nunchuck... it just feels very awkward and keeps you from being absorbed into the experience.

I will, of course, play all of these to completion, but my pick for best game in the collection goes to Mario 64 (even with the wonky aged camera mechanics...)

Official Age of Calamity trailer:

I cannot tell you how excited I am for this game.

I am stoked for this holiday season!

We're getting Minecraft DLC for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/...r-605401.phtml

A lot of people confused over inclusion of Steve of Minecraft but hardcore players already knew it would make a lot of sense over the inclusion.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

We're getting Minecraft DLC for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/...r-605401.phtml

A lot of people confused over inclusion of Steve of Minecraft but hardcore players already knew it would make a lot of sense over the inclusion.
    A lot of people were speculating that it would be a Microsoft property like Master Chief or Joanna Dark.... but, Steve?

I have to admit, I don't mind the choices for any of the DLC characters released so far, but this one is quite underwhelming.

I guess I'll have to play around a bit with him, but he definitely was never on my radar.

I am still hoping for King Hippo!!

Here are the latest "Untold Chronicles" teasers for Age of Calamity:

Purah & Robbie!!!

Hetsu and the Koroks are confirmed!

A mysterious new villain...?

I CAN'T wait!!

- - - Updated - - -

Incoming!!!

The Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity demo has dropped!

You can play the entire first mission of the game, and all save data will transfer to the full version upon release! YES!!

Check it out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...lamity-switch/

Mod Note: I apologize if I was not allowed to post a link that leads to a site with an optional purchase. It just has a bunch of details about the demo, and it's an official Nintendo page.

I heard the framerate on the demo is horrible. Did you encounter that?

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I heard the framerate on the demo is horrible. Did you encounter that?
    Yes, I definitely noticed some stutter in the first mission...

One thing that I've noticed about this game versus other "warriors" games is the massive open environments that are filled with little details like grass, flowers, trees and paraphernalia - all can be destroyed in real-time, BTW.

Staying true to Breath of the Wild (the environments are almost carbon-copy, but contain more actual buildings because it pre-dates the Calamity) is what I feel causes the hiccups.

The second mission runs much more smoothly... because of the more closed environments.

Certainly not a deal-breaker, but a really good argument for a "Switch Pro!"

Side note: the game itself is AMAZING. You can really see the love that Koei and Nintendo poured into this prequel. The details and art direction are some of the best on the system.

I highly recommend it if you are a fan of BotW, a fan of Dynasty Warriors, or a fan of Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U/3DS/Switch.

With only a handful of days before the release of the full game, here is an enticing look at some of the cooler aspects of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity!

This will be a spectacular way to spend Thanksgiving break!

- - - Updated - - -

One. More. Day.

- - - Updated - - -

In just under a week, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity has sold over 3 million copies!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...me_of_all_time

https://www.vg247.com/2020/11/24/hyr...million-units/

There was a lot of worry about the frame-rate, but Nintendo issued a day-one patch that alleviated a lot of the hiccups. I noticed a difference from the demo right away.

The game is really fun, and has a great story so far... (without spoilers, I can say that it might not be what you initially think )

This is easily my favorite Musou, or Warriors games - right after Hokuto Musou and ranks up there with Pirate Warriors 1 - 4.

Definitely a worthy addition to the Switch library.

Basically that's the fastest week for a Switch Game to hit milestones right? or am I missing Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing MS?

Basically that's the fastest week for a Switch Game to hit milestones right? or am I missing Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing MS?
    This year, Nintendo sold 13.5 Million copies (!!!) of Animal Crossing: New Horizons in just six weeks...

In 2019, they sold 6 Million copies of Pokemon Sword & Shield in just TWO DAYS!

And, in 2018, Nintendo sold 5 Million copies of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate during its launch week... at the time, it was the fastest selling Nintendo software ever.

Of course, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold 1.5 Million copies in its first month... which really gives some perspective to this prequel, Age of Calamity, selling 3 Million copies in under a week.

Widget
    The thing that stands out the most about Nintendo is how it has reversed its fortunes since 2010/11. The 3DS and Wii U times were extremely tough - the 3DS ultimately became successful, but that was a close run thing, with Nintendo having put a massive amount of resources into making it a handheld worth having. But nobody could save the Wii U - it was a crippled piece of hardware right from the get-go and NTD rightfully paid the price for messing up on such a massive scale.

But Switch - it's almost as if it's normal to expect Nintendo to be doing well with this machine. Looking at the sales figures on a title such as Animal Crossing, which would normally be considered a niche title, just blows me away. And then there's Age Of Calamity; again another title with what we would normally think of as having a limited audience, achieving impressive sales numbers int ints release window alone.

It's impressive stuff from Nintendo, but it's not something that happened over night. I personally know that the efforts that were involved in changing Nintendo from a culture that would ride the wave of surprise success like the Wii to planning for success, involved a lot of work as well as a pinch of serendipity. It was something that started well back in 2012 to 2014 when Iwata who had given the old departmental heads enough rope to hang themselves with, managed to wrest control from them and direct Nintendo to a new way of working.

I wish Iwata were still alive to see the end result of his efforts.

I love the new Nintendo, seems they're appreciate a lot of demand on the console's games. But I can't stand Nintendo's Policy and how they handled on Intellectual property. They should just cooperate or just invite them into the fold as a second party developer projects.

Nintendo has always been a company that puts quality and innovation above all else.

After witnessing the video game crash of the late 70's / early 80's and the downfall of Atari, Nintendo knew that quantity over quality was a recipe for failure... sure, you could make a huge initial profit, but sustained success would be nigh impossible.

This is when the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" originated.

I think that this is the main reason for Nintendo's strict 3rd party and indy-developer policies of years past. During the Switch era, however, Nintendo has embraced the independent development community and reversed their stance on the idea.

This has added a lot of value to the system and helped people feel comfortable with their purchases.

Additionally, I believe that the worldwide pandemic really helped Nintendo sell a lot of hardware and more software than they normally would have in the past eight months. Being portable, accessible, and available made the Switch a popular system during quarantine...

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I think that this is the main reason for Nintendo's strict 3rd party and indy-developer policies of years past. During the Switch era, however, Nintendo has embraced the independent development community and reversed their stance on the idea.
    A lot of those changes towards 3rd parties came towards the end of the Wii's life-span and during the initial period of the 3DS. First there was the unofficial loosening of the requirements to have a dedicated office space and the loaning of development hardware, and then the complete relaxation came during the Wii U period as the new developer + publisher website was rolled out. The relaxing of requirements was a big topic of discussion for quite a number of years, with various parts of Nintendo having differing views.

The end result is that to become an authorised Nintendo developer and get access to things like Wii U and 3DS, all you have to do is sign up to the developer website (developer.nintendo.com). You still need to request Switch access though, because there's still a bit of an internal schism on how best to proceed. But depending on your territory, it's pretty easy to get Switch access; NOE will just approve people, NOA are a bit slower and I'm not sure what NCL's (Japan) current policy is like.

Development hardware is also cheap. But that's no surprise...Nintendo kits have always been the cheapest of the lot since the Wii days. For a basic Switch test kit that can also be used for development, you're looking at around 400 bucks sans any taxes.

Edit: I already have a Nintendo developer account due to work, but I've never tried the individual account registration process before. So I tried it just now (I've been meaning to do this anyhow) and now I have my developer account. Man, it's such a difference compared to the bad old days of the older Wario World developer site and processes.
    Last edited by Byte_Back; November 30, 2020 at 04:17am.

Man, I have been having a blast with Age of Calamity!

It starts off strong and just gets better and better as you progress through the game!

Here is a nice spoiler-free review of the game for anyone who is still a bit curious:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, recently released was DOOM: Eternal for the Switch!

If you have already experienced this game on another platform, I would recommend giving this version a spin... it really is quite astounding how good this game looks on the Switch!

Weirdly, this game is only available digitally... ?

Behold... the next fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!!!

And he's a doozy!

After the last lack-luster reveal, this one does NOT DISAPPOINT!

It's almost February, and that means Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is right around the corner!!!

It's almost February, and that means Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is right around the corner!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOdADwsH6B0
    RIP Year of Luigi, poor guy.

I got SM3D World + Bowser's Fury yesterday!

So far, I'm loving this game (all over again!)

I played it to 100% on the Wii U, but that was back when it released, so this is like a new experience... especially with some of the quality-of-life improvements.

Now, the characters move faster, launch into a run more quickly, and climb much higher in cat suits. Sadly, the online multiplayer is limited to your friends list only... so no random drop ins...

I haven't started Bowser's Fury yet... I'm saving that for 'dessert'!!

I played it to 100% on the Wii U, but that was back when it released, so this is like a new experience... especially with some of the quality-of-life improvements.

Now, the characters move faster, launch into a run more quickly, and climb much higher in cat suits. Sadly, the online multiplayer is limited to your friends list only... so no random drop ins...

I'm a couple of days late, but I ordered mine today. It's ready for pickup, but the high tomorrow is supposed to be -1F, so I might have to let it wait until Monday.

I also order the two new Amiibo.

I also heard that there's a drastic control if you're switching from Odyssey to 3d World in one go. I saw a few people struggling with the 3d World control like trying to do exactly on Odyssey