Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 MOTU Vintage 5.5" Wave One - He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, Hordak

Thanks for posting the link, SANDROCK.

That was extremely interesting! Plus, it's a nice break from the infighting going on between Subbers and Non-Subbers about '08 Classics.

I cannot wait for Vintage figures to be back in stores! I would love to think they would only be about 12 to 14 bucks, but I'm sure that's not gonna happen. Still, however much they are will be way better than 35 bucks.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 30, 2017 at 01:06am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    MATTEL WORKING TO PUT VINTAGE STYLE MOTU FIGURES ON MASS RETAIL SHELVES!

Super7's Brian Flynn unveiled some amazing news on the newest episode of the Fans of Power podcast! Mattel has taken an interest in his plans to release new vintage styled figures, and wants to super size the release onto stores shelves at big box retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us!

“Once we did it everyone went ‘Hey how come we’ve never done it before?’ and so in that regard Mattel is working with a larger retailer to try and put it on mass market shelves. The deal’s not done, it’s not put out, it’s not anything else, but there’s an attempt for that 5.5 inch line to be able to go on shelf at mass retail.”

Production on the figures has been delayed because of this.

“We were planning to have it out December. It was going to be out this Christmas. And most likely now it will be out Fall 2018, which basically means August, as soon as Back to School is over."

"The figures are ready to go. If the deal falls through we’ll release them, but more than likely, everybody’s very excited about it, so it’s moving back up the food chain from us to Mattel, but using our sculpts and out tools to make it.”

"I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen, but nothing’s set in stone yet, things change all the time."

Brian said Super7 had already planned out three waves of the new vintage style figures. Eldor is planned to be released with a book illustrating the 14 different stages of the figure's conceptual toy design evolution, the first being "radically different" than the Eldor figure we've seen as a prototype.
    This is huge news! The vintage line at retail would be awesome to see. I hope Mattel makes it happen.
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by sandrockgundam04 View Post
    The latest Fans of Power podcast. Brian is on the podcast and mentions around 5min mark that the Vintage line is delayed because Mattel wants it at mass retail! Nothing set in stone, but that's the current reason. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_F1gd6rN8
    Thank you for the link!

This would fall right in line with the new She-Ra cartoon's rumored premier !
    Last edited by Angel-T; October 30, 2017 at 08:35am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    This would fall right in line with the new She-Ra cartoon's rumored premier season?
    Allegedly the cartoon is coming Fall of 2018, so yes, right around the same time.

There will probably be new toys tied to the cartoon. Maybe Mattel is using the DreamWorks cartoon to try to convince retailers to take on vintage-style, too?

Could you imagine finally getting Shadow Weaver, Adora, Marlana, Catra, Scorpia, Razz & Broom, Glimmer, Angella, Teela, Evil, Lyn, Shokoti, Kitterina, Huntara, Melog & the Sorceress of Grayskull in this new vintage Filmation style! :0)
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

they could make all the pop and na figures in the vintage style , prototypes (Evil Robot), and guys that never had figures especially Fangman, icer, strongarm, shadow weaver, etc.

Sadly if Mattel do claim these figures for mass market retail, we can kiss goodbye to the Filmation accurate tiara we currently see on the 5 and a half inch She-Ra....they will round out the tips of her tiara which will be a real shame.

Heroic Warrior
    honestly that's a concession I'd be willing to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Sadly if Mattel do claim these figures for mass market retail, we can kiss goodbye to the Filmation accurate tiara we currently see on the 5 and a half inch She-Ra....they will round out the tips of her tiara which will be a real shame.
    If all the other specialy Funko 3/75 stuff exists at retail, I think Masters sure can. Bring it on!
    Last edited by Spikor1982; October 30, 2017 at 02:41pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    This is huge news! The vintage line at retail would be awesome to see. I hope Mattel makes it happen.
    I would love to see new vehicles and beasts (re-sculpted vintage designs) and playsets! And if the MOTUC figures could fit into the vehicles, even better!

THIS might be Super7's saving grace *IF* they can get it right...imagine seeing MOTU figures again in retail stores.

When Super7 releases its vintage-scaled line of newly sculpted Masters of the Universe figures, this could be a huge opportunity for Classics fans! Super7 would only need to design the heads with the same peg system used in the MOTU Classics line, so we can take off the new heads and put them on our favorite Classics figures!

This would be a big encouragement for Classics collectors to buy into the new line. It would also allow for new vintage-styled figures to be packaged with second heads, giving us more display options for both the Classics figures and the new vintage-scaled figures.

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see this feature added to these new figures?

Last edited by AdultCollector; November 5, 2017 at 09:02pm.

When Super7 releases its vintage-scaled line of newly sculpted Masters of the Universe figures, this could be a huge opportunity for Classics fans! Super7 would only need to design the heads with the same peg system used in the MOTU Classics line, so we can take off the new heads and put them on our favorite Classics figures!

This would be a big encouragement for Classics collectors to buy into the new line. It would also allow for new vintage-styled figures to be packaged with second heads, giving us more display options for both the Classics figures and the new vintage-scaled figures.

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see this feature added to these new figures?

https://i.imgur.com/n0XNjl2.jpg
    Excellent idea of the head swap option! I'd prefer not to have extra head/heads in pkg though, mainly to keep cost down. The same peg system would be cool though on the sculpt but I believe they're done for the most part with the first wave as I read.
    @thunderpunchheman :Instagram https://www.instagram.com/thunderpunchheman/
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Heroic Warrior
    I'm becoming more excited about these now. The idea of Mattel bringing these to retail, combined with the rumored She-Ra cartoon (which I had completely forgotten about)...OMG. Okay yes I'm officially excited for MOTU again.

Ultimately, if the intention is to generate new young fans, I'd actually like to see perhaps a new figure construction for mass retail, kid friendly like vintage but just updated in some ways. Like a few more POA. Not MOTUC level, but like, 80s GI Joe level or something. But yes, new vintage would be a great way to reintroduce MOTU to retail shelves, initially.

I'm upset that Mattel is intervening in the 5.5" line. If it weren't for Mattel these figures would be rolling out right now, and be doing just fine. Instead the line will be walking the gauntlet of mass retail; between not being stocked well enough, scalpers and cherry pickers creating scarce figures, ruined packaging, pegwarmers causing retailers to drop the line, etc. And who knows what Super7 will need to change in order to please Mattel and retailers.

The only benefit I see is lower prices (maybe) and no shipping costs, assuming we can actually find these at our local retailers.

What makes this retro line with a very niche audience seem more commercially viable than Classics, which hit the same audience and more as they pair well with other major lines currently on shelves?

Quote Originally Posted by GRANAT View Post
    I'm upset that Mattel is intervening in the 5.5" line. If it weren't for Mattel these figures would be rolling out right now, and be doing just fine. Instead the line will be walking the gauntlet of mass retail; between not being stocked well enough, scalpers and cherry pickers creating scarce figures, ruined packaging, pegwarmers causing retailers to drop the line, etc. And who knows what Super7 will need to change in order to please Mattel and retailers.

The only benefit I see is lower prices (maybe) and no shipping costs, assuming we can actually find these at our local retailers.

What makes this retro line with a very niche audience seem more commercially viable than Classics, which hit the same audience and more as they pair well with other major lines currently on shelves?
    I agree with you actually..I was excited thinking how cool it would be to relive the childhood, walking up to the toy isle to find He-Man..2nd thought... Scalpers....3rd thought... stocking issues! Now I'm kinda wishing they'd kept with the plan...I'd have round 1 already!
    @thunderpunchheman :Instagram https://www.instagram.com/thunderpunchheman/
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Would these be in stores world wide as well.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Would these be in stores world wide as well.
    Chance would be a fine thing!

Heroic Warrior

https://i.imgur.com/n0XNjl2.jpg
    This sounds like a great idea-- that I'm certain won't happen. On the vintage figures the neck was split between the head and the torso--- with Classics the necks are part of the buck. Super 7 likes to keep things authentic when it comes to vintage stuff-- I just don't think they'd scrap the old buck style.

On another note, I'm also leery of Mattel getting involved with this. Does anyone remember how bad paint apps were on the last two years of Classics? Comparing the new Ultimate figures with any random figure from the last days of Matty will show you the effort Super 7 has put in to make sure these figures at least look good. I know people had problems with the Power-Con figures, but I think Super 7 has already shown a willingness to listen to concerns and try to fix problems as they go, as evidenced by the recent update to the first waves of Classics and Filmation. Old Matty would have told us it was too late for changes, or ignored complaints completely.

I also think having Mattel involved will limit character selection to main characters and variants, because that's just what happens with retail these days. If these go to retail they aren't going to include the Mask of Power demons or Skelecons or any other obscure thing in case assortments that are meant to sell to the general public. If they want to sell these in Target or Barnes and Noble, they're going to focus on nostalgia as a draw, and that means a focus on the core characters from the cartoon that the average 40 year old remembers. If Super 7 were steering the ship I think we'd have a better chance of getting the oddball, obscure characters that so many of us want in this style.
    Last edited by Gnarliehog; November 6, 2017 at 09:49pm.

Sigh....thinking of scalpers and craptacular case ratios definitely sucks the fun out of all the speculation! I truly HATED 'The Hunt'. Hopefully, some lessons about the ratios were learned from the 200x line.

G-HOG makes a great point about the focus on core characters, too. If this happens, we may not see anything past A-Listers. Perhaps some B and C-Listers will be made for online purchase? None of us really know how this is going to be handled. I guess anything is possible because originally, the CLASSICS line was only supposed to consist of 6 figures!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; November 7, 2017 at 03:13am.
    Odd Man Out

Mass retail is great and all but what does that mean for non US countries. We have target and toys r us but that doesnt mean they get stocked. No walmart here too so hopefully they dont get exclusivity.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It doesn't make any sense to me to bring this to mass market retail without any media to support it. Why would kids care or know about it otherwise?

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure they'll be aiming for the same market that all those Reaction figures were meant for. Those were everywhere for a few years. There were Big Trouble in Little China figures in the toy section of Target! They're aimed at Dads walking their kids through toy aisle, and collectors who were hitting the aisles anyway for Marvel Legends or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    It doesn't make any sense to me to bring this to mass market retail without any media to support it. Why would kids care or know about it otherwise?

Both filmation series are on Netflix, which is already a great exposure.

I don't know if the children see a lot those series but at least they see the links-pics of He-Man and She-Ra.

I think this retail thing is related to netflix,

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think this retail thing is related to netflix,
    That could be. NETFLIX exposure certainly doesn't hurt matters.
    Odd Man Out