View Poll Results: Should there be changes regarding Gr'Asp's claw and/or Horroar's hand?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, both should be accurate to the source material. No black claw or grey "glove" please.

50 54.95%
  • Just add some color to Gr'Asp's claw and I'm good.

19 20.88%
  • Just paint Horroar's grey "glove" purple like the rest of his body.

5 5.49%
  • No changes please! I like them as they were shown!

17 18.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inaccuracies with Horroar and Lord Gr'Asp

Scaly photo artist Dragonblaster's Avatar

Inaccuracies with Horroar and Lord Gr'Asp

While I like the chosen color scemes in general, I find it odd that the claw of Gr'Asp was painted black while a dark grey "glove" was added to Horroar. It's neither accurate to the concept art these were based on, nor does it add to the figures.

In my opinion it makes Gr'Asp look too bland. It even "hides" his action feature in all that black, which wouldn't have happened in the 80s. A yellow claw (or at least some accents) for example would make his action feature pop more.

With Horroar the painted on glove, that was never intended to be there in the first place, just looks distracting. He isn't very colourful in the first place, so why take away even more color by adding that grey glove?
    I really hope this can still be changed.

How do you guys feel about that?

Greetings,
    Michael aka DB

Edit.:

I made a mockup of him with a yellow claw:
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; February 25, 2017 at 01:33am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It sprays enemies with a jet of water!
    Press down on a camera's shutter release. It will take pictures that tell stories!

A big fan of Slush Head
    I'd like the claw to match the boots and glove from Lord Gr'Asp
    I think that would make him pop a little more and he'd look better.
    There is too much black on the figure
    Last edited by Mike Bock; February 25, 2017 at 02:10pm.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I'd like the claw to match the boots and glove from Lord Gr'Asp
    I think that would make him pop a little more and he'd look better.
    There is too much black on the
    I agree too.
    He is way way better with the yellow claw.
    Gratz for this Dragon Blaster.
    Hope they will hear you and it's not too late
    Last edited by bObA_fEtt_Ox; February 25, 2017 at 03:09am.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

I am more than happy with the proposed looks. Seems to me if we wanted to be perfectly art-shading accurate, Lord Gr'Asp's head would be a lighter shade in total, not just the accents. I am not aware of any coloured original artwork and trust the 4H and crew for their work on making the prototypes reality.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...23&oe=593935FE

While I like the chosen color scemes in general, I find it odd that the claw of Gr'Asp was painted black while a dark grey "glove" was added to Horroar. It's neither accurate to the concept art these were based on, nor does it add to the figures.

In my opinion it makes Gr'Asp look too bland. It even "hides" his action feature in all that black, which wouldn't have happened in the 80s. A yellow claw (or at least some accents) for example would make his action feature pop more.

With Horroar the painted on glove, that was never intended to be there in the first place, just looks distracting. He isn't very colourful in the first place, so why take away even more color by adding that grey glove?

Greetings,
    Michael aka DB

Edit.:

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f5&oe=592BAB8D
    His claw in yellow looks nice and makes one of his main features stand out.

Another point, which some people is talking about, is that a hood should be given to the figure. It's true that in some drawings seems to have it, but according to the photos that some people posted giving the hood from Laser Light Skeletor, he really doesn't look good with that in my opinion. In addition, if we consider that these figures were planned in '88 to reuse absolutely everything from figures already made, I assume that it was also planned to reuse the same cape design of Scareglow, which had no hood.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    His claw in yellow looks nice and makes one of his main features stand out.

Another point, which some people is talking about, is that a hood should be given to the figure. It's true that in some drawings seems to have it, but according to the photos that some people posted giving the hood from Laser Light Skeletor, he really doesn't look good with that in my opinion. In addition, if we consider that these figures were planned in '88 to reuse absolutely everything from figures already made, I assume that it was also planned to reuse the same cape design of Scareglow, which had no hood.
    I was among those who wanted him to come with the hood. But I can see now that the way Errol drew the character made me misinterpret the cape's collar as a hood.
    Press down on a camera's shutter release. It will take pictures that tell stories!

it should be yellow to match his skin not his boots, but I would love some black wash over the yellow to pop details or the oposite.
    guspena.com

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...23&oe=593935FE

Greetings,
    Michael aka DB

Edit.:

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f5&oe=592BAB8D
    How can anyone tell what colors are supposed to be used from a black & white photo?

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    How can anyone tell what colors are supposed to be used from a black & white photo?
    From a B&W photo one can at least tell that the claw isn't black or any other dark color.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Apparently there's supposed to be a yellow stripe that continues from the arm down the claw. I think that'll look pretty awesome.

I don't really understand why Horroar has a glove, but it doesn't bother me.

Apropos of nothing, I hope that his left arm is removable because I have an extra Trap Jaw arm. He could be a dual-wielder.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Beautiful Mock up I had not seen it until now
    He does look great with the claw in yellow, so much better and does look more MOTU that way
    Excellent idea.
    I wished he looked like that. A simple change that does wonders to the overall design of the figure.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Still it's a black and white photo it could be any color
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

It is hard to tell what color it would have been, but one can say close to certainty that the claw wouldn't have been black from the pictures.

Still it's a black and white photo it could be any color
    Ehm, no. It has to be a color with a similar degree of lightness. And no black or dark color matches the lightness level of the claw as seen in the source materials. It could be white, or it could be yellow; it could even be azure, beige, mint, or any other pastel color, even pink. But it most definitely can't be black (if one is to remain true to the source material), and it can't be the same color as the arm and body (it has to be a much lighter color than those parts; the source material is pretty clear in this respect).

Plus, just looking at the mock-up, it seems to me obvious what an improvement such a relatively small change can make. The figure looks more truly finished and much more chromatically balanced.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It is hard to tell what color it would have been, but one can say close to certainty that the claw wouldn't have been black from the pictures.
    Well people can argue all they want but the Horsemen made it that way if you had an actual COLOR picture we could argue but we don't so it is what it is...

Well people can argue all they want but the Horsemen made it that way if you had an actual COLOR picture we could argue but we don't so it is what it is...
    We don't know for sure that the 4H chose the colors. The sketches may have been colored by any number of artists currently involved with the brand... This set isn't made of new parts. It's basically all re-use. So the 4H may not have been all that involved.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    So the 4H may not have been all that involved.
    Yes, they were involved. I said this in a previous thread.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I think painting the claw would be an improvement, but I'm not complaining about how they are now. If I were Judge Judy I'd gavel for a colored claw
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I think the colored claw looks a lot better visually.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I think my main issue is whether or not these figures have 1988 toy industry like colors. Now that's hard to pinpoint because action figures in 1988 came out with an entire palate, but that year things are slowly starting to turn to the brighter colors that we will eventually see in high prevalence in the very early 90's. I think Mattel would naturally follow the trend of mimicking the era's colors and gimmicks - we saw a glow-in-the-dark Scare Glow, lenticular sticker on Sy-Klone, transforming via the Meteorbs, etc...

Was any consideration given to fit action figure colors in 1988? If so, colors from what action figures from that year were used for this Power-Con three pack?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yes, they were involved. I said this in a previous thread.
    Then I'm surprised the claw is black. Or that it's a matte finish.

I guess the question is: since people on the Org are asking for the change and it seems very popular in all the MOTU Facebook fan groups, is the orange claw being considered?

If not, why not? In the past, there were requests from less people to change things like this on figures and Scott and/or the 4H tried it out.

I hope that can be considered in this case
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Then I'm surprised the claw is black. Or that it's a matte finish.

I guess the question is: since people on the Org are asking for the change and it seems very popular in all the MOTU Facebook fan groups, is the orange claw being considered?

If not, why not? In the past, there were requests from less people to change things like this on figures and Scott and/or the 4H tried it out.

I hope that can be considered in this case
    Thank you. I second this request :-)

Orange? I think people want it to be yellow, not orange.

Orange is the color used for the glove, furry shorts, and boots; i.e., items of clothing that the character is wearing, which chromatically contrast with the green of the cloak, belt and bootstraps. Whereas the anatomical parts feature a contrast between black and yellow areas.

The claw is part of his anatomy, which only features black and yellow colors. So naturally, it should be yellow if it is not black. It wouldn't make much sense to make the claw orange, as if it were something that he is wearing.

I just asked the 4HM directly regarding this matter.
    Let's hope there's still time left to make some adjustments.
    I'll keep you updated...

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I just asked the 4HM directly regarding this matter.
    Let's hope there's still time left to make some adjustments.
    I'll keep you updated...
    Nice job hope that's not too late and if they are ok for any chnage what change they will choose
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$