Thread: Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

Ever since the Create-a-Character contest I officially caught the design bug. I pitched up a sketch pad and pencil and have been drawing since. Having been a fan forever and seeing cool concepts like He-Ro and Elder really made me wonder if Princess of Power had any abandoned concepts as well. When I first saw the Bubble Carriage Driver I knew she had to have been the character that eventually was dropped for Bubble Power She-Ra. I eventually got to chat with Axel, someone I hadn't see since Comic-Con many many years ago when he was at DC Comics, and found a kindred spirit who saw the potential for the POP brand to return, as well as expand. So I've spent several years working on my own She-Ra characters and stories for fun.

Fast forward to Power-Con and the Sander Twins' POP presentation. SPYDRA! KRYSTALA! The Bubble Carriage (Effervesca) was driven by JOYA! The WHISPERING WOODS! VOLCANA! AMBER! Axel and I began talking and...

"...I wonder what Spydra would look like?"

So it began...

I started designing stuff hoping that A) I could eventually customize some of these concepts in plastic, and B) make vintage versions of them for my personal collection. Along comes Super 7 and it all feels like a possibility now. So Axel and I collaborated, and we wanted to share some stuff with you guys.

Here's the first one some of you may have seen before: BUBBELLE - Bubbly Beauty: Based on the Joya concept.

Fictional bio:

Bubbelle is a magical scientist, much like Entrapta. However, where Entrapta's concentration was on capture, Bubbelle focused on escape. Her years on Mysticor studying all kinds of potions culminated in her greatest invention, her Bubble Wand. Able to produce bubbles for a variety of uses to prevent capture, Bubbelle became the Horde's public enemy #1 when it was revealed her soap solution can stop and, in some cases, reverse the effects of the Slime Pit. A master escape artist, she faked her own demise during the Horde invasion and subsequently went into deep seclusion. To this day, neither rebel or hordsemen know if she's even alive. However, on rare occasions, twiggets have reported seeing glimpses of her Bubble Carriage silently floating through the Whispering Woods on a trail of bubbles. She-Ra hopes the myth of Bubbelle is true so she can find her to aid against the Evil Horde by adding four words to her arsenal - "Sword-to-Bubble Wand!"

Hope you like it. More to come.

A huge huge thank you to org member Mann-E for his endless patience for guiding me through this process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOVE that concept drawing! Would LOVE a figure of her in MOTUC (love white haired, but young, characters!) ....& I like the Name way better than Joya IMHO! Great Job & Great color scheme! (like bubles have rainbow oils in them, maybe the white hair has a "Mother of Pearl" iridescent subtle "wash" or over-spray ??? Love Her. Multi-pack! Bubbelle, Toy She-Ra, Toy Catra (both original versions w/ pretty non-filmation faces. iow, Catra the HOT Younger "Jealous Beauty" who shouldn't have been at all!!!!
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

Heroic Warrior
    Nice work!

I really look forward to seeing art for other concept characters like Spydra, Amber and Volcana and possibly even including other characters like He-Ra and Josh?

And did I miss a new character when listening to the presentation - who is Krystala (other than the child from an episode of the TV series)?

She is GORGEOUS! I also would love a figure like that! Nice use of bubble power she-ra accessory!

Krystala (likely spelled Crystala) in POP was to be Frosta's sister. There was an ice theme that was in development and Crystala was described as, "sister of Frosta - body composed of translucent “ice" and becomes transparent to spy on the enemy." So the likelihood was that from the neck down she was to be cast in clear or translucent plastic like the Crystal horses. I spelled it with a K as a nod to the Duel at Devlan episode, since her dad was named Darius (similar spelling to the New Adventures character).

Well, I'd be happy to see Bubelle (or Joya, or whatever they want to call her) in MOTUC!

More PoP is always welcome!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Your bio is MAGNIFICENT!!!!!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    Krystala (likely spelled Crystala) in POP was to be Frosta's sister.
    Ah. That does ring a bell - thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    Next up is Spydra.
    Interesting. That's a nice design. I have to admit, when I originally heard the description, I imagined Spydra's extra legs forming part of her skirt and "hanging down" so that she would have six lower legs and her arms would be the remaining two "legs". Or possibly that she would have six "legs" on her skirt, therefore a "spider" lower half with eight legs with a humanoid upper half. I guess something closer to Ursula from The Little Mermaid than another "backpack" attachment.

But, given that her backpack was supposed to work like Webstor's grappling hook, it makes sense that the legs would be attached to that instead of the skirt.

Bubbelle is beautiful!!! Love the face and tiara/crown especially...

I am a picky customer, but you just won me over with this one!

Heroic Warrior
    Is the SPYDRA Concept art done by now????

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Is the SPYDRA Concept art done by now????
    Wasn’t she on page 1?

Heroic Warrior
    Spydra is one of the best designs for a fan character I think I have ever seen for the princes of power line. You nailed every detail that makes her fit in perfectly with the line. She has playability, she has great clothing, she has the repainted/ re-used body sculpt, the white hair hasn't been used yet for a princess of power figure, great color scheme, and so much more going on for her. I know you mentioned not liking a she-ra counterpart to the he-man characters but that was always something I actually liked so I think she is a great counterpart to webstor.

Spydra is on page one.

Thanks for the feedback Michael. I'm in the midst of tweaking them all, and you understood what I was shooting for. Unique hair colors and shapes with fashion to mask retooled body parts to save money.

Heroic Warrior
    I thin the whisker design on catra's bodice would have been a perfect fit for spydra painted black since most people call it a spider design and it would look like a spider in the web of her outfit but it makes sense that angella has the holes in her back for the spider legs to go into