Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

I've been rather enjoying this thread and the designs within. A pity we didn't have these figures back in the day.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I know, but then I remember how they were more expensive than He-Man so getting my parents to buy them was always trouble.

Currently tweaking Joya and Krystala's designs/colors and trying to see what other elements of the concepts I'd want to tackle. Breeze, the Mythicon Dragon, the Rocklets, the Crystallets, Volcanica, etc. I also have designs that are my own as well as the Star Sisters saga that was cut much too soon.

I freakin' love the un-armored version of Lavor. That's fantastic (Fantastic Fashions pun intended).

Thanks J-Bird. Wanted him to be unapologetically 80s - those days where as an adult, you look back and say, "Mattel made that one toy with a heart-shaped open chest that was a knight named LAVOR!" Like... what? It's weird now, but in the 80s it would be considered "high-concept" and very girly/Mattel/Barbie. It works (for me anyway).
    Last edited by Agostinho; November 4, 2017 at 05:51pm.

Forgot to add that I did some bios. I updated Joya/Bubbelle's and wrote 2 more. The other ones are first draft. I'll probably change the Snow King's name, for example. I'm still finalizing looks for all over them, so bare with me. These are more of a "Classics" style. I have "vintage toy" versions as well.

KRYSTALA - “Ice-Spy” for She-Ra!
    Alternate name: Crystala
    Fictional bio: Krystala is the half-sister of Frosta. She has the power to create and control snow by crystalizing the air around her to summon anything from a gentle snowfall to a powerful blizzard to blind her enemies. When the Horde invaded Etheria, her parents, King Glacier and Queen Flurria, trespassed into the Crystal World to find the fabled Blue Ice Diamond, to help end the war. When they didn’t return, Krystala followed after them. Upon crossing the Crystal Light Barrier, her body began to turn to crystal, but in a very unique way. She became as clear as ice, perfectly blending into her surroundings. After realizing she could control this new ability, she wisely used it to find the whereabouts of the snow king and queen, imprisoned by the fire goddess, Volcana. Unable to return to Etheria, Krystala remained trapped until the arrival of She-Ra, who helped her free her parents. Following the betrayal of her mother, who exposed her cruel desire to rule Etheria with the power of the Blue Ice Diamond, she returned to Castle Chill with the Snow King to rule by her sister’s side.

JOYA - Bubbly Beauty
    Alternate name: Bubbelle
    Fictional bio: Joya is a magical scientist, much like Entrapta. However, where Entrapta's concentration was on capture, Joya focused on escape. Her years on Mysticor studying all kinds of potions culminated in her greatest invention, her Bubble Blower. Able to produce bubbles for a variety of uses to prevent capture, Joya became the Horde's “public enemy number one” when it was revealed her soap solution can stop and, in some cases, reverse the effects of the Slime Pit. A master escape artist, she faked her own demise during the Horde invasion and subsequently went into deep seclusion. To this day, neither rebel or hordsemen know if she's even alive. However, on rare occasions, Twiggets have reported seeing glimpses of her Bubble Carriage silently floating through the Whispering Woods on a trail of bubbles. She-Ra hopes the myth of Joya is true so she can find her to aid against the Evil Horde by adding four words to her arsenal - "Sword-to-Bubble Blower!”

SPYDRA - Web Spinning Spy
    Alternate name: Spidra
    Fictional bio: Spydra grew up a native of the Crimson Waste, hidden deep within a secret cave far from any sort of contact with most people. Her shy, quiet nature combined with her appearance and super strength frightened most Etherians, who simply mistook her clumsiness for malice. After being befriended by She-Ra, Spydra has become a increasingly valuable member of the Great Rebellion, growing and learning more with each battle. Spydra has as many magical attributes as she has arms. She can spin powerful webbing for variety of simple tasks, like climbing and descending a web line, and trapping enemies in a weblike net, as well as more complex feats, like fashioning a parachute to land safely from a high jump. She has four additional spider-arms that work together to climb walls and rocks with ease, carrying herself and her friends to safety. Because of her natural abilities, when focused, she is able to maintain perfect balance and equilibrium. One of the strongest people on all of Etheria, Spydra is able to lift objects and people many times her size. The rebels soon realized that the only thing scary about Spydra is her potential and versatility, making her the Horde’s worst nightmare.

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    Like these bios
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

Quote Originally Posted by mikerobertschamp View Post
    Like these bios

I appreciate it. Baby steps.

Heroic Warrior
    Is the SPYDRA Concept art done by now????

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Is the SPYDRA Concept art done by now????
    Wasn’t she on page 1?

Heroic Warrior
    Spydra is one of the best designs for a fan character I think I have ever seen for the princes of power line. You nailed every detail that makes her fit in perfectly with the line. She has playability, she has great clothing, she has the repainted/ re-used body sculpt, the white hair hasn't been used yet for a princess of power figure, great color scheme, and so much more going on for her. I know you mentioned not liking a she-ra counterpart to the he-man characters but that was always something I actually liked so I think she is a great counterpart to webstor.

Spydra is on page one.

Thanks for the feedback Michael. I'm in the midst of tweaking them all, and you understood what I was shooting for. Unique hair colors and shapes with fashion to mask retooled body parts to save money.

Heroic Warrior
    I thin the whisker design on catra's bodice would have been a perfect fit for spydra painted black since most people call it a spider design and it would look like a spider in the web of her outfit but it makes sense that angella has the holes in her back for the spider legs to go into

I used the Angella bodice because the design resembled a fly. Also Catra's top was reused for Sweet Bee, so was looking for ways to reuse the remaining POP wave 1 figures in some way. That only left me with Bow, Glimmer, Angella, and Frosta, which I reused heavily for Lavor, Krystala, Spydra, and Volcana respectively.

Really flattered to meet Comic-Con fans supporting these takes on Mattel's concealed concepts. Wanted to say thank you. Snow King and Queen are coming and all of these designed are currently being revised. Some a little bit. Some a lot. Hope to show more soon.

Heroic Warrior
    Can't wait for snow king and queen

Heroic Warrior
    Love all but Lavor I don't see as a blond

Make him latino

Heroic Warrior
    Bubbelle ?

I prefer Bubbelina :-)

Lavor as a blond was already dropped a while back. I felt it was too close to Adam and Adora. Snow Queen is pretty much done. The king is being worked on.

Heroic Warrior
    Can you show us lavor?

And did you do krystalla too?

Heroic Warrior
    When will we see th king and the queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    When will we see th king and the queen?
    Working on it. I'm never satisfied and I keep tweaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Long time!

Was tinkering a bit on my day off and got running on Joya (again). Since learning her original name, I started to walk back the half-Netossa and Bubble Power She-Ra elements (except the accessories of course), and wanted to honor the concept art a bit more. Her name and vehicle leads me to think she was a cancelled "party girl," celebration-themed character, as opposed to simply "bubbles." I kept the headdress as the only element of the previous design. I also added a slight iridescent wash to the whites for "Classics," but it would be straight white in a vintage lens. I'm really happy with how she came out and ready to move on (back) to the Snow Kingdom and about 15 other characters. Hope you guys dig it. I never considered myself to be a character designer per se, but the kind words over the years have been encouraging.

She-Ra was a damn thief. "Sword-to-YOUR-GIMMICK!" Poor Volcana/Amber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I definitely think her skirt looks better poofier.

I agree. I was viewing her through the lens of how she would look as a vintage toy. In the 80's her skirt would've been huge.
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 15, 2019 at 11:30pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Hope you go on with your work