Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non existent or impossible to find cartoon DVD collections

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Each Season of the regular Punky Brewster show contains a few episodes of the animated Punky Brewster series. If you get all the Seasons, you also end up with the entire animated series.

Granted, a couple of the Seasons have gotten a bit up there, around $40-50 or so, as I believe they are out of print; but there is a way to get the complete animated series on DVD. Just not all by itself.

With the reboot coming out, I have to wonder if they'd do a new collection of the 80s stuff. One big set that has everything would probably be the best bet. I can see that happening at some point, maybe. I mean shows like the original MOTU and She-Ra shows come out packed with "everything" and they're about $30-40, which isn't bad. Guess we'll see. But in the meantime, the stuff you're looking for does exist if you have the means to get them.
    I loved both the live action and animated Punky Brewster so I shall do as you suggest and get the DVD's with both versions that you mentioned. I also loved Soleil Moon-Frye as Roxie in Sabrina The Teenage Witch as well.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

"The Shoe Must Go On" is the only episode of "It's Punky Brewster" not in the Punky Brewster season box sets released by Shout! Factory. A song featured in that episode was "Axel F", the theme to Beverly Hills Cop. They probably could have just replaced it with something more generic, but didn't want to deal with the costs of re-editing. I was always hoping for a single release of the cartoon series, so never bought the live action DVD sets.

Would love to see Mighty Max get a full DvD collection release. To my knowledge only a few episodes found release on VHS and it's a severe case of Keep Circulating The Tapes. Same with Megas XLR.

Of course there are a number of one season wonders I'd also like to see get a release too. Mission Hill and Undergrads rank high amongst them, but Oblongs and Morel Orel are in there too.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    How about the Japanese Spider-Man series?... Marvel has made the show comic canon in the Spider-Verse comic series and they own the rights to the show (I'm not sure about the robot or the flying car though both were in the comics) and it is an important piece of Super Sentai history that most fans don't know a thing about. It was available subtitled on Marvel's website for a time but the video has been taken down (the episode pages were still live as of a couple years ago, not sure if they still are).

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    ... even if they did negotiate with Disney to give SW a brief Lego Movie cameo. ...
    In the commentary track the story they tell is that Disney had no say in the Star Wars cameo. They had discussed the cameo with Lucasfilm before the Disney buy-out and had a positive response but no paperwork signed and they continued to work on the movie with the cameo planned as discussed. Then word came that Disney was buying Lucasfilm and knowing that Disney would likely never sign-off on it, they immediately got in touch with Lucasfilm and flew up to the Ranch to get the contracts signed before Disney's purchase was finalized.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Would love to see Mighty Max get a full DvD collection release. To my knowledge only a few episodes found release on VHS and it's a severe case of Keep Circulating The Tapes. Same with Megas XLR.
    You can buy digital copies of Megas XLR, if you don't need a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Of course there are a number of one season wonders I'd also like to see get a release too. Mission Hill and Undergrads rank high amongst them, but Oblongs and Morel Orel are in there too.
    Um, these all got DVD releases years ago:

Mission Hill
    Undergrads
    Oblongs
    Moral Orel
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    You can buy digital copies of Megas XLR, if you don't need a disc.

Um, these all got DVD releases years ago:

Mission Hill
    Undergrads
    Oblongs
    Moral Orel
    Neat, though MegasXLR still needs a proper release. One with commentary and special features.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Saturday Supercade was supposed to be released as a Warner Archives DVD similar to Pac Man, but it was never produced, possibly due to rights issues.

Droids and Ewoks deserve a Blu-ray.

James Bond, Jr has never had a complete DVD release, to my knowledge.

Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling was released briefly on the WWE Network but has never seen a proper Home Video release.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    I dunno how hard it is or if its not too bad for you other people to look for

Its Robotech 2nd Macross Saga DVD thats a little tough to buy since people jack up the prices but ive been lucky where i bought a copy pretty cheap sort of at 60ish bucks last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling was released briefly on the WWE Network but has never seen a proper Home Video release.
    Yeah, I used to love that show when I was real little. They did a few cheap VHS tapes in the 80s and then a couple more in the late-90s; I think I still have one of the late-90s releases. I'm pretty sure when I was like 8 years old I wrote a letter to the network asking them to bring it back with an updated cast of WWF characters. I know I wrote it but I don't remember if I ever mailed it. I never heard back and they never took my "advice", so I don't know.

You can't imagine how discouraging it was to re-watch it many years after the fact and find out that it was horrible. I can defend a lot of Hogan-based things, but that show was pretty rotten, even by 80s cartoon standards. I mean, it DID give us the live-action "Land of 1,000 Dances" music video that they played with most of the episodes, so at least there's that!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    "The Shoe Must Go On" is the only episode of "It's Punky Brewster" not in the Punky Brewster season box sets released by Shout! Factory. A song featured in that episode was "Axel F", the theme to Beverly Hills Cop. They probably could have just replaced it with something more generic, but didn't want to deal with the costs of re-editing. I was always hoping for a single release of the cartoon series, so never bought the live action DVD sets.
    If they haven't done a standalone set of the cartoon by now, I doubt they ever will. Watching it presently, I have my doubts there'd be enough of an audience to even support such an endeavor, because... well, objectively it's pretty bad. As my wife and I go through the Season sets, I'm torn between the live-action series being better than I'd expected it to be, and the cartoon being much, much worse than I'd remembered.

But I'm not surprised that they wouldn't go to the trouble of re-dubbing new music in for that one episode of the cartoon, because they spent VERY little effort on the cartoon portion of the DVDs in general. Most of them look like they were literally transferred directly from old VHS tapes, and a couple still have some degradation and "warping" and such in several spots; one animated episode in particular has visible static lines popping in and out for almost a full minute. Furthermore, while they went to the trouble of arranging the live-action episodes in "storyline order" - fixing an error where a few Season 3 episodes were originally broadcast out-of-order, but are in the correct order on the DVD - the animated episodes are extremely haphazard. There were two Seasons of animated shorts, and on the box set they're in no tangible order whatsoever; it's not a huge problem, but some episodes clearly took place way before others did and it can be a bit jarring in the moment if you bother to pay attention, and if you actually look up the episode order on Wikipedia the DVD order is a complete mess. They often have a Season Two short preface a Season One short when paired together. This supports my theory that most or all of them on the DVDs were copied from VHS tapes, because during Season Two of the cartoon's initial broadcast they often paired a brand new short with one from the first Season, since they didn't produce as many new shorts for Season Two and they still had to fill a half hour.

Point being, they didn't really put any work at all into transferring the Punky animated series to the DVDs, and I'm not sure if they actually lost the master copies - which is entirely possible - or just didn't care enough. But I'm not shocked at all that they didn't bother to re-dub the music for that one episode, because they pretty much gave a bare-minimum effort across the board for that series anyway.

Again, I can't really blame them. I actually think the live-action series is really quite good, but the Punky cartoon is really quite bad, some inspired bits of voice acting aside. They may have put in a bare-minimum effort, but to be blunt, that's about all the animated series deserves. I wish I could say otherwise, but I honestly can't.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; April 17, 2021 at 05:22am.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Yeah, I used to love that show when I was real little. They did a few cheap VHS tapes in the 80s and then a couple more in the late-90s; I think I still have one of the late-90s releases. I'm pretty sure when I was like 8 years old I wrote a letter to the network asking them to bring it back with an updated cast of WWF characters. I know I wrote it but I don't remember if I ever mailed it. I never heard back and they never took my "advice", so I don't know.

You can't imagine how discouraging it was to re-watch it many years after the fact and find out that it was horrible. I can defend a lot of Hogan-based things, but that show was pretty rotten, even by 80s cartoon standards. I mean, it DID give us the live-action "Land of 1,000 Dances" music video that they played with most of the episodes, so at least there's that!

The main thing I remember about the show was that Uncle Phil (also the voice of Shredder) did the voice of Junkyard Dog. And one of them had a convertible. I can't remember anything past that lol
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Hulk Hogan's voice was the guy from Everybody Loves Raymond who wasn't Raymond. Brad Garrett? Was that his name?

You don't even remember the one where they became astronauts?

That show is (CENSORED) terrible.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Hulk Hogan's voice was the guy from Everybody Loves Raymond who wasn't Raymond. Brad Garrett? Was that his name?

You don't even remember the one where they became astronauts?

That show is (CENSORED) terrible.

That, I did not know! I haven't watched a single episode since the eighties. I'm kinda scared to now...

I bet the writers had a field day with that episode. Insert joke about wrestlers so high they're floating in orbit.

I have more words in me to defend both Pastamania! and the infamous Hogan vs. Vader Strap Match at WCW Uncensored 1995, than I can find in order to defend Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling.

If not for the existence of a certain videotape that ended up putting Gawker out of business, that cartoon show would be the worst thing Hogan ever had his name or likeness attached to. And it's still honestly kind of a coin flip between them.

I used to really want Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on DVD, but having watched several episodes on Disney+, I'm not clamoring for it anymore. It's pretty badly dated.

Having said that, I'd still love a complete set of Tiger Sharks on DVD, even though I've never seen a single episode. I love TCats and SHawks so much that I'm pretty certain I'd really like it.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I used to really want Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on DVD, but having watched several episodes on Disney+, I'm not clamoring for it anymore. It's pretty badly dated.

Having said that, I'd still love a complete set of Tiger Sharks on DVD, even though I've never seen a single episode. I love TCats and SHawks so much that I'm pretty certain I'd really like it.
    It would be interesting to hear what you think of it. I seen some of it and thought it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what you think of it. I seen some of it and thought it was terrible.
    I keep meaning to check it out on YouTube but the quality is so VHS-terrible that I keep just holding out hope for an official release...which will likely never happen.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I keep meaning to check it out on YouTube but the quality is so VHS-terrible that I keep just holding out hope for an official release...which will likely never happen.
    You should just watch it and be doen with it. Even a 4K Blu-ray will not change how crap the show is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    You should just watch it and be doen with it. Even a 4K Blu-ray will not change how crap the show is.
    Duly noted. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Some years back I was able to pick up on DVD the full official releases for Spider-Man 67, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Spider-Man "5000" (the other 81 series), 90's Spider-Man, and Spider-Man Unlimited. While I have lots of nostalgia for Amazing Friends from watching as a kid, in truth it's my least watched out of all of those these days.

I actually like the other series from 81 better to be honest, though I still prefer 67, 90's, and Unlimited overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    Some years back I was able to pick up on DVD the full official releases for Spider-Man 67, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Spider-Man "5000" (the other 81 series), 90's Spider-Man, and Spider-Man Unlimited. While I have lots of nostalgia for Amazing Friends from watching as a kid, in truth it's my least watched out of all of those these days.

I actually like the other series from 81 better to be honest, though I still prefer 67, 90's, and Unlimited overall.
    My son (12) and I recently watched an episode that featured several guest heroes. During the course of the episode, the bad guy manged to trap Captain America and Dr. Strange in... a metal cage. Nevermind the fact that those two characters could never be trapped in a cage but, true to 80s animation standards, there was enough space between the bars for them to just walk out if they wanted to.

I know, I know...I'm watching a kids cartoon with adult eyes. But it also means it's lost its appeal to me. And my son laughed at the whole thing. He enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    My son (12) and I recently watched an episode that featured several guest heroes. During the course of the episode, the bad guy manged to trap Captain America and Dr. Strange in... a metal cage. Nevermind the fact that those two characters could never be trapped in a cage but, true to 80s animation standards, there was enough space between the bars for them to just walk out if they wanted to.

I know, I know...I'm watching a kids cartoon with adult eyes. But it also means it's lost its appeal to me. And my son laughed at the whole thing. He enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons.
    Oh yes, I remember that episode well...I've got to agree with you on that one

I can totally relate how you said your son was laughing for the wrong reasons...my daughter and I were watching an episode of the old 60's Fantastic Four, and there's a part where all 4 put their hands together and Torch's is still completely on fire. She could not stop giggling...it's actually pretty awesome to watch together for, as you said, the wrong reasons

I would hazard a guess that Hasbro has zero interest in releasing the VHS only Sgt Savage episode or even GI Joe Extreme. That's if the rights aren't tied up or lost(Sunbow produced them but other companies were involved). Same goes for the VHS movie that was included with Tyco's Crash Dummies toys in the final wave, probably another film that's never getting another release due to lack of interest/rights issues/cost. True you can find them on Youtube or similar but VHS rips are generally low quality. You can go buy the tape(if you're lucky to even find one) assuming it's not degraded.
    The furry fandom is filled with very horrible people into very terrible things. It's far worse than you've heard...
    https://tinyurl.com/7u2hkph5

Ask toy customizer Jin Saotome about the time he spent with Sinno! He likes them young.

One I was surprised to find back in the day was a VHS copy of the one episode of Monster in my Pocket that was produced. It was a pilot that never got picked up, but it aired on one of the networks one Halloween night in a block of other one-shot specials (I think a Garfield and Far Side animated special was in that block.) I caught it when it aired and waited patiently for a regular series to show up on Saturday morning, but it never did.

Anyway, the company Goodtimes put out an EP-speed VHS copy sometime in the late nineties, and I saw it in one of those big .99 bins that Wal-Mart used to put in front of the Electronics section, which was usually full of public domain copies of tv and movies. Usually saw at least one obligatory copy of Night of the Living Dead or the Fleischer Superman cartoon in those bins.

I must have like 20 of those old VHS tapes with the Fleischer Superman cartoons, most of them purchased at various flea markets and grocery stores for dirt cheap.

The thing was, since those shorts were public domain, literally anyone could package and sell them however they pleased, and most of them were quite deceptive about what was actually on the tapes, and me being like 6 years old didn't know any better. So they'd have some generic Superman stock art, or crudely-drawn in-house cover art, and they often wouldn't have the titles of the shorts listed on the back. It would just say "A full hour of classic Superman animated adventures!" or something like that. So I'd see them, be like "Wow, I never saw that before," buy the tape, and then once I got home it's like "Oh... it's the exact same cartoons I have ten other copies of."

What I was REALLY looking for at the time was VHS tapes of the old Filmation cartoons, as well as the then-recent Ruby-Spears animated series. That's what led me to buy anything with "Superman" on it that I thought might be different from the Fleischers. What I wasn't privy to at the time was that the Filmation VHS tapes were very rare, and therefore unlikely to randomly appear in dollar bins at the grocery store, and that the Ruby-Spears series never even had a VHS release at all.

Imagine my excitement when the Filmation and especially the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoons finally got a DVD release. I was completely over the moon. I still want them to put out the Filmation Superboy shorts, but I doubt that the legal situation surrounding them has become any less complicated and it's probably not worth the aggravation on their end. I mean no, the Filmation Superman/Superboy stuff objectively isn't very good, but I want to own it all for the sake of history if nothing else.

Same here, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy them as much as I did when I was a kid, but I'd like to see a proper release of the Filmation stuff.

They used to do the same thing with the Three Stooges shorts! I got one once because it listed three or four shorts I'd never heard of. I raced home thinking I'd found some rare early stooge stuff, popped the tape in, and it was the terrible 3 Stooges cartoon from the early sixties! The cover was a live action shot from one of the Shemp shorts, and I guess when I saw "in color," I should have expected something odd. But that was during the time everyone was colorizing old stuff, so I gambled a buck.

The best of those public domain Superman tapes was one I got that had an episode of the George Reeves TV show included. It was some promotional episode done for the war I think, called "Stamp Day for Superman." That started my love of that show, which still exists today.