Thread: Had a quick question about the Princess of Power line...

Widget

Had a quick question about the Princess of Power line...

Fellow Fans:

I was perusing the Toys & Collecting tab and the list of Princess of Power products made and something caught my eye: at the top of that page, it is noted that Catra and Entrapta were the only 2 villains to ever grace the POP toy line (there are a total of 4 villain figures overall Catra, Scratchin' Sound Catra, Shower Power Catra, & Entrapta).

I don't know if this has ever been asked but since The Horde was the main villain faction, why weren't any of them released under the POP banner? I know they were released under the MOTU banner, but was it ever considered to release the same Horde MOTU figures under the POP banner with POP card backs? Also I believe Shadow Weaver was a filmation character so that explains her absence from both lines but is the same true with Scorpia? Or was she never released as a figure under the POP line cause she had short hair and didn't fit the theme of having long hair to comb

Thanks in advance

Ken

I always found it interesting how the whole She Ra franchise was dissected into boy and girls section . I doubt they had much of a choice .

Your average horde villain toy is double or triple the scare factor when compared to Skeletor and his goons during a time when parents were already somewhat iffy about buying their tough little guys a Skeletor. They could get away with making Catra and Entrapta cute and with hair to comb .

Vice Versa with She ra and her great rebellion . Too "feminized" for little boys .

Our culture is in the stone age about reinforcing sexual identity on kiddies .
    There is huge difference between POP and pony cartoons . Even if the writers intended to break gender barriers this toon had aspects more attractive to boys. I found She Ra cartoons both quite fascinating and refreshingly different as a kid certainly did not think it was "girly."

My school had a fundraiser using the newly released Secret of the Sword to score a few bucks .
    I and my fellow classmates sat glued to the TV . Interestingly enough I dont think there was more than 2 or 4 girls who attended out of perhaps 20 or more children .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I always found it interesting how the whole She Ra franchise was dissected into boy and girls section . I doubt they had much of a choice .

Your average horde villain toy is double or triple the scare factor when compared to Skeletor and his goons during a time when parents were already somewhat iffy about buying their tough little guys a Skeletor. They could get away with making Catra and Entrapta cute and with hair to comb .

Vice Versa with She ra and her great rebellion . Too "feminized" for little boys .

Our culture is in the stone age about reinforcing sexual identity on kiddies .
    There is huge difference between POP and pony cartoons . Even if the writers intended to break gender barriers this toon had aspects more attractive to boys. I found She Ra cartoons both quite fascinating and refreshingly different as a kid certainly did not think it was "girly."

My school had a fundraiser using the newly released Secret of the Sword to score a few bucks .
    I and my fellow classmates sat glued to the TV . Interestingly enough I dont think there was more than 2 or 4 girls who attended out of perhaps 20 or more children .
    Exactly what I think too watching the POP cartoons. While Grizzlor, Leech and Mantenna look rather goofy the other hordesmen and definitely the horde's ladies are fierce at least in appearance. Shadow Weaver is probably the scariest villain I can think of in a kids show. She is despicable, yet mysterious and intriguing. I wouldn't be surprised she would be the most popular character from both POP and MOTU. And I'm not going to lie she is highest on my toy wishlist. Skeletor didn't come close to that IMHO. It would have been different had they gone for his more gruesome design like the comics.

I do think rooted hair does have its charm. Yes it does appeal most to girls and with Scorpia and Shadow Weaver never revealing their haircuts they didn't really fit in this toyline even though Bow did get an entrance but as a boy he got plastic hair like Ken from Barbie. However they could just have been released under the MOTU label like they did with the male Horde figures. I'm very proud and thx to MOTU Classics I got a Scorpia and Octavia figure on my closet now. No division in my collection, MOTU, POP and MOTUC they are all part of the same universe for me.

thats something i wondered myself about as well. not why the horde hadn't been released under the pop franchise, cause clearly they didn't fit the bubbly shiny world of she-ra dolls. but i always asked myself why she-ra had hordak in the cartoon as villain and not only catra like in the mini-comics and german audio-cassette series. probably cause they wanted to win both audiences, the boys and the girls. and the boys wouldn't watch she-ra if catra would be the main villain. so with the horde in it they covered the attraction for boys.

I watched a 10 fun facts about HeMan click bait on YouTube last night . Supposedly 20 percent of MOTU consumers were girls and that drove Mattel into making the POP toyline .

That also reminded me of a time when I and my little brother scored some HeMan merch and we were playing with it under the table in a restaurant . A girl stranger literally crawled under the table with us checking out our loot while telling us about her HeMan toys .