Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    While I'd like to see a movie happen, I think I'd prefer to see a Netflix series...maybe build the characters in a Netflix show and then have the "payoff" be a full-blown movie that goes alongside the series later on.
    I was watching the new Voltron show and was thinking Netflix could revive the 200X animated series right where it left off.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenkdr View Post
    I was watching the new Voltron show and was thinking Netflix could revive the 200X animated series right where it left off.
    TV shows getting revival seasons is happening more and more. Animation-wise Young Justice got renewed almost 4 years after it was cancelled and Samurai Jack got a 5th season 13 years after the 4 season ended. These shows had bigger cult followings and creators championing the returns. Unfortunately I don't see 200X He-Man having this same kind of enthusiasm even if it was on Netflix (and I believe it has been on there in the past if I recall correctly).

Master of New Adventures!
    Sorry to say this, but I've a feeling the movie is a dead duck.

I've tried to explain how the film industry works in other posts, but what wounds me is that the orgers I so deeply care about have had their hopes built up only to see them dashed once again. Often it's an insane business that we who are in it call 'show'.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Sorry to say this, but I've a feeling the movie is a dead duck.

I've tried to explain how the film industry works in other posts, but what wounds me is that the orgers I so deeply care about have had their hopes built up only to see them dashed once again. Often it's an insane business that we who are in it call 'show'.
    Your posts have been fascinating and enlightening. It's always interesting listening to somebody who works in a particular industry because they know the dirty, raw guts of it. Folks on the outside just see a vague outline and finished product.

I'm sure that there have been thousands of amazing concepts that would have made great movies, but for various reasons, just never came to be. MOTU could be awesome, but it's a tricky property. All the stars have to align for something to work, and it could be that that just ain't happening!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; August 16, 2017 at 01:14am.
    Odd Man Out

Master of New Adventures!
    Well thank you for that, DC_WARLORD.

There's one part of me that loves being in the business, but another part of me is sad that it takes some of the magic away. Knowing how production works is kind of like pulling back the curtain and seeing the not-so-powerful Wizard of Oz is really just an old man who used to work in the circus and is now turning dials and raising and lowering levers.

It's the same for my family. Case in point, many years ago when Alex was eight, an entertainment industry friend was out visiting us from L.A. He was surprised to see Alex watching the wonderful remake of The Thing, starring Kurt Russell. During the scene when the creature burst out of one of the character's chest, my friend couldn't take it any longer. He asked Alex, "Didn't that scare you?" When Alex answered, "Nope" my friend asked "Why not?" Without blinking, my eight-year-old answered, "Because I know there's a big ol' fat guy on the other side of the camera and when the director calls 'Cut and take five', he's gonna go eat a couple of donuts." My friend looked at me and said, "Your son's been on way too many movie sets."

Of course he was right. Some kids like to go to skiing during Christmas break. Alex had more fun going into the editing bays with his dad and helping us do foley.

So I guess you give up some of the magic by knowing so much about it. But the upside is it's a business that's an awful lot of fun...and I get to share some of the stuff I know about it with orgers.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Your posts have been fascinating and enlightening. It's always interesting listening to somebody who works in a particular industry because they know the dirty, raw guts of it. Folks on the outside just see a vague outline and finished product.

I'm sure that there have been thousands of amazing concepts that would have made great movies, but for various reasons, just never came to be. MOTU could be awesome, but it's a tricky property. All the stars have to align for something to work, and it could be that that just ain't happening!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 17, 2017 at 12:22am.

I love certain movies, and I love everything involved in the process. I love building things, making things, art.. etc. After watching a movie, I hope the Blu-ray/DVD has some sort of extras, making of, book of concept art. I enjoy seeing all that goes into making the movie.

With Masters, its been dormant for so long, its hard to find just the right angle to make it successful. You have the die hards with ideas they want to see fleshed out on screen. You have the studio who wants to give it a "modern spin" to appeal to a new audience, you have others who want to take the movie in multiple different directions, that ultimately, you have to make a choice on which direction to take it, and you will alienate someone. If you alienate too many people and decide on a version people can't get behind, watch, enjoy, it becomes a stinker of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I love certain movies, and I love everything involved in the process. I love building things, making things, art.. etc. After watching a movie, I hope the Blu-ray/DVD has some sort of extras, making of, book of concept art. I enjoy seeing all that goes into making the movie.

With Masters, its been dormant for so long, its hard to find just the right angle to make it successful. You have the die hards with ideas they want to see fleshed out on screen. You have the studio who wants to give it a "modern spin" to appeal to a new audience, you have others who want to take the movie in multiple different directions, that ultimately, you have to make a choice on which direction to take it, and you will alienate someone. If you alienate too many people and decide on a version people can't get behind, watch, enjoy, it becomes a stinker of a movie.
    One could make a 3 hour documentary about He-Man the movie that never was. Over a dozen rewrites, Three studios, and more directors and executive producers on this project than I can count. The struggle is real. This isn't just some one off project that was killed in a year. This has been going on for 15 long years. It is an epic story in its' own right.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    One could make a 3 hour documentary about He-Man the movie that never was. Over a dozen rewrites, Three studios, and more directors and executive producers on this project than I can count. The struggle is real. This isn't just some one off project that was killed in a year. This has been going on for 15 long years. It is an epic story in its' own right.
    Its not a bad idea. I absolutely love Lost in La Mancha. The documentary chronicling Terry Gilliam's repeatedly attempts to make his Don Quixote film.

Although the big problem would be it never got far enough off the ground that they'd have any material to use. It would have to be all talking heads and non-related MOTU footage.

IN THE 80s, that's actually a really good idea!
    Odd Man Out

Sometimes the story about the making of a movie is more interesting than the movie itself.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenkdr View Post
    Only there isn't as wide-spread appeal or demand for the reboot show to continue. If there were to be a show about MOTU, it propably best be something new or aimed at new audience. Given that the reboot show is 15 years old, there now is a whole new generation of kids to introduce to He-Man in a fresh way...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    ^ Exactly. Just do what Netflix and DreamWorks did with Voltron: give us a brand new MotU reboot, start from scratch...from the beginning. A new show for a new audience with wink/nods/easter eggs for us 'old farts' and not reliant on toy sales for a measure of success.

It's what they're doing with She-Ra, supposedly.
    So yeah...new it the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Just do what Netflix and DreamWorks did with Voltron: give us a brand new MotU reboot, start from scratch...from the beginning. A new show for a new audience with wink/nods/easter eggs for us 'old farts' and not reliant on toy sales for a measure of success.
    That's a good idea, from both you and JUKKA, who made a great point that the reboot is 15 years old. Yeesh!

The good thing about MOTU is that it's basically simple. It's clear cut Good vs. Evil. There's magic, there's tech, but at the same time, there's dragons and weird creatures, swords, castles, kingdoms, and people who look and dress like gladiators. They don't need to Modernize anything....just re-introduce it.
    Odd Man Out

There have been documentary movies made about unmade projects before. The most well produced example is the Documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune project from the 1970s. This version of Dune was canceled and entirely new movie was made in the 1980s. The documentary was made in 2014.

I watched that.. I would LOVE one of those concept binders they made, but I have a feeling the movie would have been sooooo far out there, beyond bizarre.

Maybe it will end up back at DreamWorks?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

For a movie that was never made Jodorowsky's Dune had huge influence on movies and Television.

There is definitely some Jodorowsky and Giger influence in the design of Castle Grayskull as well as the interiors of Snake mountain.

Well, I'd say that this pretty much puts the last nail in the coffin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw
    Odd Man Out

I think the advert is great. Why is this a 'nail on the coffin'?

How many StarWars and Batman parodies are out there? I think as long as there is more 'serious' MOTU product out there like the figures, statues and art, I don't think folks have anything to worry about. The advert has gone down very well in may circles and it keeps MOTU in the public eye in ways that other 80's brands would love.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I think the advert is great. Why is this a 'nail on the coffin'?
    Sorry. I meant it kind of jokingly. I always forget that on the internet, there is no tone of voice when you type something out. Haha!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior

Yup. Another parody for MOTU with the same old meme over and over again. How very unimaginative and tiresome. Unfortunately MOTU is known only through such kind of parodies nowdays, which makes really hard to inspire any director, writer or producer to invest money and time in a MOTU movie project, since the public sees the MOTU characters only as walking jokes, not as a franchise worthy of their time. Because parody after parody, MOTU has been perceived from most people only as such a parody, and this kind of commercials, fortify the general idea that the franchise is a joke, and nothing more. Doubtful that such kind of videos, can make the people say something good about MOTU, or pick up any interest, apart from few laughs for a couple of moments, and the repeat of the usual memes about MOTU. This at the end is doing more damage than any good, at any attept to revive MOTU.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 4, 2017 at 09:53pm.

I think the commercial is actually a positive look! Granted its my idea of fun, but it does keep the brand out there in conscious of everyday folks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    I think the commercial is actually a positive look! Granted its my idea of fun, but it does keep the brand out there in conscious of everyday folks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I don't see this as a negative at all. It probably means the first advert went down very well.

Fingers crossed the next one has She-Ra at the gym, along with He-man & Skeketor! She-Ra kicking both their arses in the weight room would be epic! Lol
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Made it to :46

Didn't really need to or want to see the rest.