Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

Happy to see a release date. But after the dumpster fires that have been the Transformers and GI Joe movies (Retaliation mostly notwithstanding), I am not getting my hopes up on the third leg of my "childhood staple cinematic entry".
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

And my week has been made.
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Court Magician
    It's a plus if McG is no longer attached. I'd like for this movie to have more substance over style.
    Movies, comics, toys, books & TV reviews. Nerdmasté! http://youtube.com/michaelmercy

The fact that David Goyer is writing does not give me hope for quality. The guy is a hack who rides on the coattails of real talent like the Nolan brothers. He also had a lot of disdain for superhero characters and only looks at them as a cash cow as opposed to truly caring about comic book stories. His new show "Krypton" about a historical look at Superman's doomed planet looks bad.

BUT as long as he is paired with a team that is able to take his few good concepts and fashion a high-caliber product it could do well. Maybe. Not holding my breath.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Disney vacated this date to move Star Wars back to Memorial Day weekend in May. Part of me feels Sony grabbed this date for MOTU just to have a date... regardless of where they are in pre-production.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    The fact that David Goyer is writing does not give me hope for quality.
    I wish I didn't know this. His writing took my excitement from a nuclear explosion to a sparkler.

Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

At long last! I choose not to instantly be skeptical that this movie will be any good. If nothing else, I'm sure visually it will be fun to watch, and it will finally bring MOTU back to the public's eye. I know where I'll be on December 18, 2019 .
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm happy to hear some actual news from this,good to see atleast one wheel turning lol.

Goyer writing can go either way....either it will be good or it will be very bad. Lets just hope he has enough people around him to pull him up and guide his script to something special.
    -- Illusions come, illusions go. Show a true face to our foe --

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While obviously different movies have different creative talent behind them, the general output of Sony Pictures has been highly questionable for several years now. It worries me that they are the ones putting this out.

The only movie on the horizon from Sony that looks like it will be good is Spider-Man Homecoming, and that's because for the most part it's the same creative talent behind Disney's MCU movies working on it due to the deal that Sony and Disney made to share Spider-Man.

Even though He-Man is not a Marvel character, I would rather see the Marvel team work on the MOTU movie. At least their movie output is generally good, and they would probably be able to strike the right tone and balance between the more familiar elements from the original cartoon while making a good movie that people can take seriously. The worse MCU movies so far have, at worst, been on par with the average "better" releases from Sony over the past decade.

I’m actually happy about McG no longer being attached. Could do a whole lot better. I’m also happy about Goyer being on script duties. With the release date, Sony clearly has high hopes for this one. I suppose, as of now, this is the furthest a He-Man film has ever come. We’ve never been given a release date before. I also assume this is what Franklin meant by that tweet he made in January.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Disney vacated this date to move Star Wars back to Memorial Day weekend in May. Part of me feels Sony grabbed this date for MOTU just to have a date... regardless of where they are in pre-production.
    TBF, Episode 9 always had a tentative release date in May 2019; it’s just that now Lucasfilm and Disney have made it official. With Avatar being announced for 2020, I guess Sony just thought they had to have such a prime slot. So, in a way, you are right, but I’m pretty sure, as per Entertainment Weekly, that as of now Sony intends to release this thing by December 2019. It is two and a half years away, so plenty of time.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 27, 2017 at 11:47am.

I'm not a big fan of McG, and I don't feel much better about Goyer to be honest. He's a wonderful "idea guy" who works best when tempered with a co-writer or a strong director.

STILL! This is fantastic news and I'm very excited about the possibilities. I'm sure the upcoming rights issue in 2020 is what is spurring this, but it's very promising that they still have plenty of time to get everything sorted out. Christmas 2019 doesn't mean they'll be rushing something out, at the very least.

So bring on the new cartoons and comics and tie-in novels and video games!

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    The fact that David Goyer is writing does not give me hope for quality. The guy is a hack who rides on the coattails of real talent like the Nolan brothers. He also had a lot of disdain for superhero characters and only looks at them as a cash cow as opposed to truly caring about comic book stories. His new show "Krypton" about a historical look at Superman's doomed planet looks bad.

BUT as long as he is paired with a team that is able to take his few good concepts and fashion a high-caliber product it could do well. Maybe. Not holding my breath.
    Exactly how I feel. I really don't want a depressing He-Man movie.

DeVon Franklin hasn't said anything yet. Someone should bug him.

Heroic Warrior
    2019 huh? That's 2 years, 8 months from now. Hmmm...
    Let's hope it stays on course and that the closer the date get, the movie isn't delayed for some reason or another.

Now the real important question?
    Will Cringer/Battle Cat speak or not?
    dum, dum....dummmmmmm....

Fingers crossed, rabbit's foot being rubbed, and positive thoughts pushed forward!
    Odd Man Out

Frozen 2 is coming out on November 27th that year, that makes me nervous. Frozen 2 is almost certainly going to be a big movie and drown out anything that comes out anywhere near it, and December 18th is awfully close to that date.

Not sure about this...How many directors have they gone through now? I'll be shocked if this thing gets released in 2019 tbh...or ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Is McG out?

ComingSoon has him pegged for it still and has quotes from him as "recently spoke with CS"

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...universe-movie
    "Recently" probably means when he spoke out months ago...

McG no longer directing Masters of the Universe
    McG (Charlie’s Angels), who has been on board to direct the long-discussed Masters of the Universe reboot since early 2016, is no longer attached to the movie and Sony is meeting with directors, EW has learned from a source familiar with production, who also says David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) is writing the screenplay for the event film.

While the studio looks for new leadership behind the camera, EW has confirmed that Sony has scheduled the movie for a Dec. 18, 2019 release.
    http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/26/sony...iverse-reboot/
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

Give me Peter Jackson as a director. Definitely include Battle Cat and Panthor but don't let them talk.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Not sure about this...How many directors have they gone through now?
    Haha! I think HE-MAN and The FLASH are having a contest!
    Odd Man Out

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    I'm not a big fan of McG, and I don't feel much better about Goyer to be honest. He's a wonderful "idea guy" who works best when tempered with a co-writer or a strong director.

STILL! This is fantastic news and I'm very excited about the possibilities. I'm sure the upcoming rights issue in 2020 is what is spurring this, but it's very promising that they still have plenty of time to get everything sorted out. Christmas 2019 doesn't mean they'll be rushing something out, at the very least.

So bring on the new cartoons and comics and tie-in novels and video games!

I agree with your former sentiments, truthfully.

I see red flags all over this thing: release date, David S Goyer (I'm a huge DC fan), and the inevitable Sony.

Well, what will be will be. It can't be anywhere near the disaster that would've been the sequel to the '87 flick...
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Give me Peter Jackson as a director. Definitely include Battle Cat and Panthor but don't let them talk.
    I actually agree with this. Now that Peter Jackson is out of Middle-Earth, why not? Let him play in a sandbox and fashion his own story that is not held to a book or previous movie. Peter Jackson (plus his wife) would also write a great story!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Is Guillermo del Toro available these days? Visually, it would certainly make for a fantastic movie. Plus, he worked with Goyer before, on Blade II, and it was easily the best movie of the trilogy.
    Also, we could have Ron Perlman as Beast-Man.
    What doesn’t kill me makes me froggier.