Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

One can dream but as awesome as it sounds I don't see Del Toro or Jackson taking on MOTU.
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

This is exciting news and sure confirms Mattel has heartwarmily taken MOTU and its fanbase seriously since day 1;
    MCG stepping away is a good move! sure it could not been the best way for him exit because of Sony's unkind statement for searching A-list talents at next, sad for him but he's good for TV shows and still has a job. BTW David Goyer is the genius behind everything good DC has done on the big screen in the past few years, the dark night trilogy is a prime example of that but also dont understimate his work on marvel's blade, one of (if not) the first comic book movie produced for the 2000s that leads to spider man and everything else (iron man, avengers...).
    Del Toro and Jackson are good names but I think SAM RAIMI is the best for this job, worked with Sony on an already succesfull franchise (you know which one) plus he's a master in the sword & sorcery genre.

speaking of quality, I always felt like the 2002 reboot series (with ironically Jos Lo duca score) was a nice try and executed properly, sure it didnt lasted too long but that was top notch enetertainment nonetheless! and the movie can take inspiration by that era!
    generally speaking, I feel comfortable to say everything MOTU-related media has always been well supervised by people that really care and know the potential and limits of the franchise (i.e. the recent DC comics come to my mind at first).

I Think its perfect timing for Bayformers to go and let He-Man makin his due re-entry and take the main stage after so much time. With that in my mind, really hope this will be a movie for the NEW generations (millenials), I dont care for nostalgia things, nerds should not be the main target, after all we have spent great years with MOTUC (and more to come!) so I personally could be ok with great animated movies (in the vein of the WB dc features), maybe one in filmation style and another in myp.

But She-ra should deserve her (sadly cancelled) Dreamwork series, it could work as a TV series and there's audience especially after dc superhero girls and all the 2017 gadot's WW positive hype which hopefully will turns out into commercial success. But she can be used on the big screen too.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "LET THE POWER RETURNS....!"

I hate to be that guy...but release dates pretty much mean nothing. Lots of things that never get released have release dates. A release date without a director does not inspire me much.

Here's hoping, but I ain't gonna start jumping up and down.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

I predict.......this will be in cinemas the same time as legend of conan

hope i'm wrong.......
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Quote Originally Posted by clashfromjem View Post
    I predict.......this will be in cinemas the same time as legend of conan

hope i'm wrong.......
    I believe the Legend of Conan has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    I believe the Legend of Conan has been cancelled.
    Correct. This has been cancelled. News broke a couple of weeks ago.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    One step forward and one step back.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Its official. Sony has announced that Masters of the Universe is coming out on the 18th December 2019. McG is directing. Such a prime release spot. Sony clearly has high hopes.
    Click here to read more.

McG is no longer attached, and they are looking for directors, according to a report on Entertainment Weekly.
    Click here to read more.

Well, hopefully they realize that a bunch of fans feel the same way and will try to avoid any and all backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Happy to see a release date. But after the dumpster fires that have been the Transformers and GI Joe movies (Retaliation mostly notwithstanding), I am not getting my hopes up on the third leg of my "childhood staple cinematic entry".

I think Neill Blomkamp’s free. All his films have been released by Sony, and if you saw Chappie you would know he has affection for MOTU. Although, he’s also a writer, so he would want a hand in the script, too. I’d be fine with that.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting…hopefully the date holds true!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Happy to see a release date. But after the dumpster fires that have been the Transformers and GI Joe movies (Retaliation mostly notwithstanding), I am not getting my hopes up on the third leg of my "childhood staple cinematic entry".
    I do agree with you on that. To me the TF movies are a train wreck. I know they made tons of money but to me the Transformers are walking junk piles not to mention they are only eye candy(for a better word)and Bay focused more on the human characters. The 2 joe movies while ROC was blah Retaliation was slightly better the casting in both films were horrible. I hope the director they get will preserve the feel and the look of the MOTU film. The 1987 was a low budget film which was why a lot of the film was set on earth. The problem is we have the film making technology they just have to do it. They obviously don't have a script yet and I doubt they started filming.

Sweet. It's what we have all wanted for quite sometime
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    I hate to be that guy...but release dates pretty much mean nothing. Lots of things that never get released have release dates. A release date without a director does not inspire me much.

Here's hoping, but I ain't gonna start jumping up and down.
    After some thinking this seems to be the correct analysis. As much as I want to be hopeful this announcement feels like a false alarm. All "REAL" evidence points to the film remaining stuck in development hell. Here is what we know:

The script is still in the process of being rewritten. McG is out so the they no longer have a director. As soon as they do find a director the first thing the new director is going to do is have the script rewritten yet again. We have been in this same holding pattern for more than a decade and this announcement hasn't really changed anything. There is no mention of a budget or casting which are steps critical to the film being officially green lit. They are "looking" for A-list talent but nothing solid is attached to the film. Even DeVon Franklin is staying silent on this one.

This feels like the studio is just testing the waters to see if they can generate a buzz with the public and media. It works well enough as all the entertainment sites are covering the story but it always inevitably falls flat because we probably won't hear anything about the movie again for 4 to 6 months. Sorry to be such a downer.

They’re not “testing the waters”, that’s ludicrous. Sony has had this thing for eight years. Yes, studios are well known to book release dates well in advance just to make sure no one else gets them. Disney does it all the time with their “Untitled live-action fantasy” films and whatnot. However, it also means that the studios who’ve booked those dates fully intend to use them. So Sony, as of now, do intend to have MOTU in cinemas in time for Christmas 2019. Of course, that could change. However, a release date has never been given before. To suggest that the film isn't really in production and that Sony are just doing this to see what people's reactions would be is stupid, plain and simple.

As per Entertainment Weekly, they are meeting with directors and actors already. It seems to me like Sony is moving full steam ahead. I know there are many people on this website who love to be "that guy" (even though they lie and say they'd love to be proven wrong), but just for once, let's bask in a bit of positivity for a bit. Just for a week or so, and then people can start turning the radio off.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 27, 2017 at 11:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    They’re not “testing the waters”, that’s ludicrous. Sony has had this thing for eight years. Yes, studios are well known to book release dates well in advance just to make sure no one else gets them. Disney does it all the time with their “Untitled live-action fantasy” films and whatnot. However, it also means that the studios who’ve booked those dates fully intend to use them. So Sony, as of now, do intend to have MOTU in cinemas in time for Christmas 2019. Of course, that could change. However, a release date has never been given before. To suggest that the film isn't really in production and that Sony are just doing this to see what people's reactions would be is stupid, plain and simple.

As per Entertainment Weekly, they are meeting with directors and actors already.
    It seems to me like Sony is moving full steam ahead. I know there are many people on this website who love to be "that guy" (even though they lie and say they'd love to be proven wrong), but just for once, let's bask in a bit of positivity for a bit. Just for a week or so, and then people can start turning the radio off.
    The 2nd bold sentence tells us that not only is the movie not yet in "production", its not even in "pre-production" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    The 2nd bold sentence tells us that not only is the movie not yet in "production", its not even in "pre-production" yet.
    This ^^^

You are absolutely right. There is NO production going on. There is a difference between the terms production, pre-production, and development. MOTU is in development NOT production.

To clarify:

Production = Movie is in progress of being actively made. Full production team of set designers, camera men, make-up artists, costumes, and actors all in action. Scenes from the movie are being filmed.
    Pre-Production = Planning phase of casting actors, designing costumes, scouting locations for shooting, planning stunts, ect.
    Development = Pre-planning phase of script writing, selecting directors, securing funding

MOTU is in the pre-planning phase of development.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Whilst it's nice to see a date being set and a lot of buzz right now - we have been here many times before. It seems like they're going back to the start with a new script and finding a director.

I was excited yesterday but today it just seems more of the same old tune we've been hearing for the past 12 years
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Toyguru said around 2020 all the rights for MOTU go through a major shift.
    If Sony doesn't make the movie before that, they lose the right to make it...?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I don't know that, just pondering! Toyguru said in a post a while ago that in 2023 all the rights for everything to do with the brand revert to Universal. It was a very bold statement TG made!

So with this date being just a few years before everything rights wise (including Entertainment Rights) are passed back to Universal....is it possible that Sony have to make this film by then or do they lose the rights, as this is as long as Mattel were able to broker them the movie rights to make this film based on their iconic toy line: which they themselves got permission to do when Mattel liscenced the Entertainment Rights from Universal originally?

From what TG said it sounded like even the toy rights will revert back to Universal in 2023. If this is true the clock is ticking for Mattel to make some final money out of MOTU Toy sales. A movie is the only way Mattel are going to make serious money off MOTU toys if everything lock stock and barrel reverts to Universal in 5 years...I wonder if the She-Ra/ POP rights will also go back to Universal as well....That way He-Man & She-Ra may yet become one whole property under the Master of the Universe banner again?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3708864
    Last edited by Angel-T; April 28, 2017 at 09:12am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Toyguru does say "if I remember correctly". Probably only the corporate lawyers and the higher ups really know for sure. If there are no major production delays for the first movie and the first movie is a success, they could make 2 and 3 at once and still get them all out by 2023.

Very true....but what I took from what TG said it there is a ticking clock before Universal gets everything. Mattel would appear to have 5 years to get the upmost they can from the property before they are no longer in a position to command any rights to the brand. I agree a lot could be done in 5 years.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I heard the news about MOTU Movie back in 2004, I'm glad I'm getting this 15 years later.

I thought that McG not tying into the movie would make another development hell?

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    So awesome.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Some of the thinking around here gives me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Do you think this is just Sony simply testing the reaction to the announcement and seeing if MOTU would be worth a punt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    One can dream but as awesome as it sounds I don't see Del Toro or Jackson taking on MOTU.
    Actually, I could see Del Toro doing it...but not Peter Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    BTW David Goyer is the genius behind everything good DC has done on the big screen in the past few years, the dark night trilogy is a prime example of that
    Aaaand he also wrote "Man of steel"...

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Well, hopefully they realize that a bunch of fans feel the same way and will try to avoid any and all backlash.
    What backlash? Only way for there to be a SERIOUS backlash is if they start insulting the audience like during the marketing of Ghostbusters remake. Otherwise most will be fine with ANYTHING they do. We saw that with Transformers, we saw that with Ninja Turtles, we saw that with Spider-Man, we saw that with DC movies...

Most people treat movies like park rides. If they get mindless action - that's good enough and BOOM - movie gets a billion. Some of these are critical failures, but that ain't stoppin' "park riders" from seeing them over and over again...
    Last edited by Grimbot; April 28, 2017 at 09:53am.