Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I think Neill Blomkamp’s free. All his films have been released by Sony, and if you saw Chappie you would know he has affection for MOTU. Although, he’s also a writer, so he would want a hand in the script, too. I’d be fine with that.
    Man, I loved Chappy. That movie was hilariously awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Actually, I could see Del Toro doing it...but not Peter Jackson.
    Yeah, I dont actually see Jackson doing it. He's just the guy I'd love to see direct a He-Man movie. Wishful thinking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Do you think this is just Sony simply testing the reaction to the announcement and seeing if MOTU would be worth a punt?
    Entirely possible.

People are talking, and that's what the Big Wigs want. I mean....the entire reason MOTUC exists is because the HORSEMEN made a prototype figure and showed it at a toy show to get some buzz going.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 28, 2017 at 01:12pm.
    Odd Man Out

With Star Wars Episode 9 being announced for May of 2019 very recently, I think Sony thought they should pounce on the date before anyone else does. I probably would have taken December 13 which is a Friday and doesn't have anything there currently. Dec. 18 is a Wednesday and Dec. 20 has Wicked and a Disney live-action flick, so there are no guarantees they will win that weekend in the box office.

Collider had a brief discussion on this.

Do we know anything about the producers?

Is Devon still on board? He's been so quiet about it lately it makes me wonder. Or are the guys at Escape Artists still producing it, too?

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm happy a release date was issued, but I've been in the entertainment business for over three decades and I know how things work and I'm realistic. I once had a pilot that had a scheduled network airdate that was canceled two months before it was to air. I was much younger then and I was devastated. Nowadays I take such matters like water rolling off a duck. I'm happy when projects of mine are greenly but I save the champagne for when they come to complete fruition. And when I get a check I run -- not walk -- to the bank.

You have to understand that it's a lifetime in the movie biz until that MOTU movie release date and many things can happen. Someone posted -- sorry I can't recall who -- that not having a director assigned is problematic. That may happen soon, but even with that there are a lot of things that can happen to torpedo the project, including the sale of the studio after which a new administration looks at every project and shelves a lot of them.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and my heart of hearts hopes that it happens. But speaking of hearts I know there have been a lot of broken one's around here over false starts. So let's be buoyed by this latest news and be cautiously optimistic, but not chisel our hopes into granite. Granite, after all, has a way of cracking...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 28, 2017 at 03:01pm.

Heroic Warrior
    now to wait for The Asylum's mockbuster

He-Dude and the Universal Masters

Very well said, OLESKER!
    Odd Man Out

Sadly so, I'm afraid. Look, everything here is a positive. It's just that I've been watching the MOTU movie threads for so long and I've seen so many hopes dashed. It's a weird thing, this business called 'show'. Amazing things happens, and I truly hope the MOTU movie comes to fruition, is executed brilliantly and spawns a whole new generation of fans...and toys.

But it's prudent to keep it in perspective and to remember that this is a business built upon illusion. That illusion sometimes falls over into the hype part of the business, many believing that perception will turn into reality. Again, I hope it is so. But there is still much hard work to be done. My best wishes are with all involved.

EDIT: Because I don't like quoting someone without giving them credit, I went back and saw it was He-Manis007 that made the post about a director not being assigned as potentially problematic. Correct, He-Manis007. You know whereof you speak. Consider credit for my having quoted you now given.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Very well said, OLESKER!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 28, 2017 at 05:12pm.

The long-discussed Masters of the Universe reboot has finally found a spot on the calendar, launching into theaters on Dec. 18, 2019, EW has confirmed. McG (Charlie’s Angels) had been on board to direct since early 2016, but EW has learned from a source familiar with the production that he is no longer attached and Sony is meeting with directors,
    Yes! Cautious optimism rising!

and that David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) is writing the screenplay for the event film.
    No! Well that was a fun three seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    Do we know anything about the producers?

Is Devon still on board? He's been so quiet about it lately it makes me wonder. Or are the guys at Escape Artists still producing it, too?
    Yeah, he confirmed the other day he's still producing.

That's the thing, OLESKER: You actually work in the show business industry, so you have a much better grasp of this than most of us. We look at it from a Fan Perspective, where you see it as a Business. You understand the ins and outs that most of us cannot even imagine. We see a product of our childhood that we cherished, while a studio sees everything in dollar signs.

I've heard of movies being entirely filmed and finished, but then running into a snafu of some sort. They just sit on a shelf for years, or are just never released. All we can do is cross fingers and hope for the best.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 29, 2017 at 12:41pm.
    Odd Man Out

That's the best news I've heard. He's an award-winning consummate pro and has long championed this project. MOTU fans are fortunate, indeed, to have him in their corner as he has the determination, skill, talent and drive to make the project happen and he will honor the franchise. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yeah, he confirmed the other day he's still producing.
    - - - Updated - - -

You're right, DC_Warlord. You see, many people think we in the entertainment industry do what we do with pixie dust and a magic wand and while it's true that sometimes we do use pixie dust and a magic wand, in many ways it's a business similar to other businesses. There are business models and protocols and systems in place. Execs generally don't sit in a conference room and wax sentimental about the projects the studio has in development...even when it's MOTU. They get out their graphs and charts and focus group analyses and calculate whether a project may or may not be successful.

And you're also right that sometimes something unexpected can happen to torpedo a film even after it's produced but before it's released. A case in point is SPACE CAMP, produced by my friend Pat Bailey back in 1985. SPACE CAMP was a high concept film about a group of young kids accidentally launched into space on the Shuttle. It had a great cast, including Kate Capshaw, Tom Skeritt and Lea Thompson.

The project was in the can, completed and scheduled for release in early 1986. Some of the posters already shipped to theaters had the cut line "Just what you thought could never happen with the Space Shuttle." Shortly before the film's release, on January 28, 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger tragically exploded. Naturally, the studio had to pull the film. It was released five months later, but the Challenger disaster was still fresh in the minds of the public and the film performed poorly. My heart ached for Pat because, aside from being a great producer he's also a true gentleman..in an industry in which that is a rare commodity.

So you just never know what's going to happen.

As I've said, MOTU fans are fortunate to have Devon in their corner because while he is surely a businessman, he is also a highly creative individual and, from what I can see, has a passion for MOTU. It's vital to a project to have that sort of individual among the accountants and systems analysts and advertising executives because passion can contagious and sometimes it can tip the scales.

I wish him well and I hope sincerely -- especially for the devoted fans on he-man.org -- that the film comes to life and is a great success. So many have waited such a long time for this. So many deserve it. Hopefully, I'll see you at the premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    That's the thing, OLESKER: You actually work in the show business industry, so you have a much better grasp of this than most of us. We look at it from a Fan Perspective, where you see it as a Business. You understand the ins and outs that most of us cannot even imagine. We see a product of our childhood that we cherished, while a studio sees everything in dollar signs.

I've heard of movies being entirely filmed and finished, but then running into a snafu of some sort. They just sit on a shelf for years, or are just never released. All we can do is cross fingers and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 30, 2017 at 02:14pm.

Very, very interesting, OLSEKER.

I know that RED DAWN and CABIN IN THE WOODS both sat on shelves for a few years. Weird that they both had Chris Hemsworth in them....

Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Aaaand he also wrote "Man of steel"...

which I personally liked
    plus MOS 2 looks like is in development too and honestly cant wait!

anyway search for A-list directors should not take too long, I mean we had been passin thru a decade of false starts, re-writes, now the hype is at max, Sony needs to be smart enough and start rollin the marketing machine by announcing names, locations, production stages, cgi tests...
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    Mattel has first rights to toys through 2023 but we did pay a royalty on every motuc fig to the IP owner (that changed a ton over the years). It's all spelled out on the other site. :-)

I have no idea how the 200x line worked as I was in college at the time. At my new gig at Loot Crate, our licensing agreement for motu swag is with Universal, not Mattel.

Take a look at all the Darkhorse books, the Dreamworks/Universal logo is a lot bigger then the Mattel logo. :-P

Not a secret, it's all a matter of public record.

Mattel does still own all the development material from the vintage era, but entertainment rights are with Universal with all rights to them in 2023. Sony has live action rights I think through 2019. (I think)

POP is a entirely different brand (legally) which is why super 7 can't make pop figs right now. (I think)

Beyond that, you will need to address Mattel or Universal. I've been out of the game to long! :-P
    This is likely the reason for pushing the date and going full steam ahead. Sony is on the verge of losing MOTU movie rights at the end of 2019 unless something is made.

I also assumed that had something to do with Sony picking that date. Right at the end of the year, too. At least they’re not rushing it out within a year and a half or something. There’s two and a half years. Hopefully a director will be appointed within the next few months. Then, if everything goes to plan, we should see production begin by about next summer. Yes, I’m an optimist. I think you have to be when a MOTU movie is involved. Looking at the negatives is too easy.

One thing I will say, though, is if we hear nothing for the remainder of the year, then I would assume a wall has been hit yet again, and it may be for the final time. For Sony, at least.

My dream director would be John Woo. Talk about action and knowing how to put villains and heroes against each other. While the entirety of FACE/OFF is, imo, amazing, with a great storyline and such fully developed characters, the opening and closing action scenes were simply breathtaking. Ya leave the theater not wanting your two hours back and I think MOTU definitely needs a director who can deliver on that. MOTU as a movie has one last chance. Actors and the director are essential to its success and imo Woo fits the bill.

Yes, I know Woo is not a super-heroes director, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. My father used to say, "Sometimes experience can be a detriment." Maybe what MOTU needs is someone not deeply entrenched in the super-hero genre -- but knows of Good against Evil -- who can bring a fresh perspective to the franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    which I personally liked
    plus MOS 2 looks like is in development too and honestly cant wait!

anyway search for A-list directors should not take too long, I mean we had been passin thru a decade of false starts, re-writes, now the hype is at max, Sony needs to be smart enough and start rollin the marketing machine by announcing names, locations, production stages, cgi tests...

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    My dream director would be John Woo. Talk about action and knowing how to put villains and heroes against each other. While the entirety of FACE/OFF is, imo, amazing, with a great storyline and such fully developed characters, the opening and closing action scenes were simply breathtaking. Ya leave the theater not wanting your two hours back and I think MOTU definitely needs a director who can deliver on that. MOTU as a movie has one last chance. Actors and the director are essential to its success and imo Woo fits the bill.

Yes, I know Woo is not a super-heroes director, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. My father used to say, "Sometimes experience can be a detriment." Maybe what MOTU needs is someone not deeply entrenched in the super-hero genre -- but knows of Good against Evil -- who can bring a fresh perspective to the franchise?
    John Woo was attached to the project way back in 2004. However, the studios (Fox 2000 & Warner Brothers) ended up getting cold feet and John Woo "lost enthusiasm" and left the project in 2006. There was a rumor his script had He-Man only appearing in the last 15 minutes of the movie and the whole thing was largely unrecognizable from the established lore we know.

http://variety.com/2004/film/markets...an-1117911339/

I was not aware of that. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    John Woo was attached to the project way back in 2004. However, the studios (Fox 2000 & Warner Brothers) ended up getting cold feet and John Woo "lost enthusiasm" and left the project in 2006. There was a rumor his script had He-Man only appearing in the last 15 minutes of the movie and the whole thing was largely unrecognizable from the established lore we know.

http://variety.com/2004/film/markets...an-1117911339/
    http://i.imgur.com/tlQHKXl.jpg

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I think it's inevitable that a He-Man movie will happen at some point.
    MOTU was a juggernaut that made billions of dollars in the 80's. It was a global phenomenon that struck a chord with children all over the world. The powers that be will want to see if lightning can strike twice, as evidenced by the ongoing development of a potential film. There is clearly interest in it, and the franchise possibility is far too tempting to resist. Whether it truly happens in 2019 or not remains to be seen, but it will happen at some point. Of this, I have no doubt.

The question I have is, will it be a good, entertaining movie? Will we have a good script, a good director, good actors? Will the story be good? Will it be epic and exciting, but hit all the right notes in terms of character relationships? Will it be filled with adventure, mystery, danger, and fun? Will we have a likable, memorable He-Man? Will we have an evil but charismatic Skeletor? Will there be a strong supporting cast? Will the picture have the right tone, and what tone will they go with for this? What kind of money will they drop to create a magnificent, sublime Eternia and Castle Grayskull?

Fingers crossed that everything works out! I'm cautiously optimistic. We shall see.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; April 30, 2017 at 11:17pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I feel this time is different,Sony has another attitude; sets a prime date, hires a A-list writer to make a new script (not a rewrite of a previous draft) and They are looking for a A-list director.
    It's like a full new project unrelated to the past development hell.

Of course nothing is safe in movie business but the latest news is positive and hopeful.
    If this project is really going forward, there will be more news in the next few months
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; May 1, 2017 at 12:20am.

Heroic Warrior
    DeVon Franklin did say at the start of the year stay tune; things could be happening fast. This seems to be that. But now he's been silent since date drop news; not sure if he's off the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    DeVon Franklin did say at the start of the year stay tune; things could be happening fast. This seems to be that. But now he's been silent since date drop news; not sure if he's off the project.
    No, when the news of the release date broke someone asked him if he's still involved and he said yes. TBH, he doesn't really talk much about films in general nowadays. Most of his tweets relate to his work as a preacher. But yes, I have no doubt that that tweet he made in January about how things may happen faster was obviously relating to this and David Goyer. I just hope they can attract a good director. I really would prefer someone on the peripheral. Someone who hasn't broken through yet, but I have a feeling Sony will be looking for a "safer" option (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself).

But yes, as heavy-eternium said, there does appear to be a slight change in attitude here. For example, no studio has given a release date before. I am remaining cautious, but I am optimistic, I can't lie.

Heroic Warrior
    They should consentrate more on finding a good actor than A-list , like Reeve in Superman '78 (also the fee would be less than to pay an A-star , say , 20-30 mill)
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !